Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

It's not the EU. It's our own political system, the NGOs, the bloated public service, and our media. It's very easy to pass off responsibility for the shite Ireland heads into, but the truth is that the vast majority was brought about by our own people.

Imagine if we had a political leadership capable of investigating the options available, thinking out of the box for practical solutions, and then, going to the EU (as one of the more successful economies in Europe), and negotiating a better response. Nah. Easier to blame the EU for everything, rather than fix up our own house (no pun intended) first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The problem starts when you cannot control your own borders and as it looks like we’ll have feck all control on our finances either, or indeed much of what is going on between our borders.

You keep making the claim that we can't control our borders, but the fact is that we can. Being part of the EU is not an autocratic relationship, and the agreements in place are open to negotiation. The Eurozone benefits Irish people immensely. We have complete control over our immigration laws, or border controls for non-EU members, with a few limitations regarding EU members.

It keeps coming back to our political representatives and how they interact with the EU. Leaving the EU would be a disaster of epic proportions.. even worse because we'd be back to having only our Irish politicians completely in the driving seat. Any debts or restrictions that exist with regards to our independence with the EU have come about by the actions of our own political elite, and a host of negligent behaviours/decisions.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into this here, as we've covered this ground elsewhere before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aletheia

"They will go to the back of the queue if they are even placed on it not the front."

After reading many posts on many threads as an unregistered reader, I made the effort to find this post for a reason, because it is simply not tue. I watched Justice Minister Helen McEntee state live on Irish television 2 weeks ago that Ukranian refugees would be placed "priority" for health, education, housing and other social services. Irrespective of the fact that I may agree with it, it was still publically announced that this would be the policy going forward. When Ukranians are gaining access to our hospitals and GP services, then it is the Irish indegenious who are going to the back of the queue. That is the reality of this new directive from our Justice Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thats disgraceful that their accomodation will be in a sports hall probably with no cooking or proper washing facilities - but you didn't need to be a fortune teller to see this coming.

Lack of planning and indeed common sense displayed by our government yet again. They still don't seem to get that these people will probably need to be housed for the next 2 years at least. Big problems coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bizarre that fairly innocuous post compelled you to sign up after all these years, but welcome.

So what do all these "priorities" look like in real terms?

How many "Irish indegenious" were put to the back of the queue for a camp bed in a corner of an old Scout Hall?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's the reality of a government making wild promises they can't keep.

A blind man could have seen it coming, but too many sighted people were caught up in the moment. And I do get that. I still do, but the seemingly intractable problems of housing and health of this new years don't go away by magic. They need short, medium and longterm planning and execution not endless debates among overpaid quangos and NGO advisors. Just like the Ukrainian refugees do. Given our successive government's kicking of those cans and others down the road, I don't hold up much hope currently.

One hope I have is the wild promises to the Ukrainian refugees made by Ireland on the international stage forces the government to finally make changes because the international beady eye is on them. They seem to care little for the national beady eye.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

same false claims from you, over And over, even though you know it's false, you continue to post it. Lies.

we control our own borders completely. The only thing EU membership controls is freedom of movement for EU members, which has been a great thing.

Ireland is not even in schengen.

although why I'm trying with a poster who refuses to acknowledge facts, and posts lies over and over, I don't know 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Then why don’t you give them your place and move in with family?

This should have been done from the start, not putting people in hotels and b&bs needed for tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What sort of a fool pledges to take people in if they cannot afford it? - Irish government ministers!!!!

You mean the ones that are free to work, and live, anywhere in Ireland that their hearts desire, but stay in DP off their own bat??

Look back at my posts - I think people would be absolutely mad to pledge a room in their house . I wouldnt do it even if I was being paid €10K per week. Im not in favour of that at all. Its a recipe for disaster.

That said putting people into sports halls is not acceptable - the government have messed up bringing this amount of people into the country without the ability to house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We have no where else to accommodate them. It’s the likes of sports hall or the side of the road. Best will have to be made of a difficult situation- we simply do not have tens of thousand of 3 bed semis just waiting to be occupied.

Well then we shouldnt have taken in so many refugees. People will be stuck in these sports halls probably long term - conditions will probably be worse than direct provision being honest. Numbers of people needing these facilities will also grow as disputes arise in pledged accomodation ie. when Joe and Mary realise living in their home with Olga and her 2 kids is a nightmare and ask them to leave.

If you go back to the beginning of this thread everything mentioned by people saying ' this cant work' is playing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Refugee camps are usually tents in a field. They are emergency situations, putting them in hotels was stupid from the start and a waste of money.

We simply don’t have the resources or infrastructure to handle the numbers banded about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You don't need to contact a charity to rent out your room though? Just put it on daft or facebook. And no faffing about with garda vetting either.

Ukrainians are posting in my locals fb group looking for accommodation.

I don't see how people could have expected it NOT to be a free pledge?? You pledge a room...to a CHARITY....NO talk of any payments....actually the only talk was that these Ukrainians will get social welfare which they can give some to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They'll come up with some excuse no doubt. Something something...nervous dog...something something...rented accommodation...something something...building work being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Direct provision should be abolished but only when we have purpose built reception and holding centers , where asylum seekers can be held until a decision is made about whether they are a genuine or bogus case ,

You have just described direct provision 🤣

The problems with direct provision were

1) capacity requirements meant hotels had to be leased for more DP space

2) endless amounts of appeals to a decision meant people could be in the system for up to 10years. This caused capacity issues, causing point 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Just a mere 500 total rentals as per Daft today. ...in a city of 1.5 million!!

No room at the Inn....

Not an exact comparison, I know, but Rightmove shows over 15,000 rentals in London today (excl flatshares). So around 3 times, on a pro rata basis, the availability of Dublin rentals. And is considered a tough market for renters in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But without the open doors ,your case gets heard there and if your denied protection ,your deported within a week

Somewhere, an NGO workers head has just exploded at the mere suggestion of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

This is the type of shite the Tories in the UK have spouted for years. Blame the EU for every ****, bungled and mismanaged situation of their own making.

We can control our borders for Non-EU economic migrants/asylum seekers. The fact that we don't is not the EU's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Will homeowners receive financial support?

The accommodation can be provided on a charitable basis, or the homeowner can request to receive the housing assistance payment (Hap), according to the Irish Red Cross. Hap is a payment from local authorities to landlords letting to tenants who receive social housing support, to cover a portion or all of the rent.

Refugees will be entitled to social welfare so may be able to contribute towards electricity and gas bills, an Irish Red Cross spokesman said.

From The Irish Times 8th March

You will continue to get Supplementary Welfare Allowance until you apply for a more suitable social welfare payment. You can find out more about the range of social welfare payments available. You can apply for Rent Supplement if you find private rented accommodation. If you get a job, you must tell your local social welfare office. You can keep your Supplementary Welfare Allowance for 30 days after you start working.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/the_asylum_process_in_ireland/coming_to_ireland_from_ukraine.html

Its always been been the case of you can provide the beds for free or you can charge & tenants can avail of rent allowance / supplement

Only on boards do you get posters who aren't taking in refugees stating that others should do it for free. Lots are doing it for free but it's very expensive in most cases to house refugees. It's not like renting a room to a student. There are massive extra expenses. These poor families are arriving with a suitcase. No clothes, toys, shoes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I think people would be absolutely mad to pledge a room in their house 

Why?

I know several who have taken in families, very decent people who are in the fortunate position to have space.

No madness whatsoever and they are under absolutely no illusion of the imposition.

May be a bit of mental concept to get your head around giving your musings on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just talking to my brother. He has pledged a self contained granny flat. Red Cross called him 3 weeks ago. He got a missed call & rang back. He was now onto the army & they told him the Red Cross will try him again. 3 Weeks later they still haven't tried him again. They haven't emailed him even though they have his number.

It's little wonder they are saying they can't contact people. It's a complete mess from the Red Cross point of view. So many beds pledged & they can't run a contact service properly. Maybe they should draft in some contact tracing staff to do this type of work

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I pledged a house to the Irish Refugee Council before the Red Cross got involved. My pledge was transferred over to the Red Cross. Had an Estate Agent visit it a couple of weeks ago. I contacted the Red Cross by email earlier this week to get an idea over timings but all they could say at this stage is they will get back in due course. They are clearly under a lot of pressure here but I've little doubt everything will get sorted in due course. Unfortunately that does not avoid lots of issues in the short term.

For those complaining about lack of planning, how on earth could anyone have anticipated this? The Irish Refugee Council would normally deal with refugees but they are a miniscule NGO. The Red Cross are clearly bigger but they have limited resources and are dealing with something that simply could not have been imagined even a couple of months ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement