Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I copy & pasted on my laptop & couldn't get rid of it🤣 Is that your pic🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well yes, unless you've been wandering around the back roads of Killybegs with your camera. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just glanced through that, it looks amazing (my taste must be debatable too 🤫).

Great to see things going well for you again E. Patience paying off. You'll have a great stab at DCM this year.

Ah I was just showing off your brilliant photography skills 😉

I ran using it again yesterday & I just love when a song pops up that I haven't heard in ages & it takes me back in time in my head😊

Thanks so much, I am definitely building in confidence & strength with each week, yes I would love to give DCM a really good go with all going well!

• Advertisement

Great work, you're a real powerhouse with all the sessions each day.

My training is based mainly on EIM training which is Easy Interval Method (thats the name of the book too by Klass Lok) although it looks like sessions most days the recoveries are quite generous which averages out the pace to a more steady run. The 5 or 6 by 1K are based on me keeping within a certain HR with again a generous recovery which would be like an easy run for most. I enjoy this training because it's encourages me to concentrate on my form etc more when I'm doing the faster bits.

Its great training, I'm not doubting it for a minute.

You would know soon enough if it was too much as you'd be feeling exhausted so

you must have worked down to a T.

Its not boring, that's for sure.

Yeah exactly, that's what's great about the 400's & the 200's , there's a nice broad range to work with depending on how I'm feeling. Yes it's not boring & that's what drew me to it & I feel my form has benefited from it too. I suppose we all just need to find what works for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

4 1/2 hours 😲 😀. Sorry just catching up, this is the reason I'm a DIY fan but I'm a brunette (or was) so much easier. I don't think there's anything easy about those intervals, I always read with envy - if I'm ever fit enough it does look really interesting!

• Advertisement

I know it's a mental amount of time but needs must🤣 Ah the recoveries in it are very generous so make it easier, I really enjoy the mix of different paces etc in the runs, keeps me interested & motivated 😊 You should defo look into it if you think it's something you'd be interested in🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have you had a chance to test the EIM method properly yet in a race - I think not, as your past couple have had asterisks around them, which is fair enough. What will be the first proper race effort do you think - will be interesting as you’ve been using EIM now for a long enough period to see how it works for you on race day.

The plan advises a slow and careful transition to the method which is what I am doing now . Volumes and intensity increase on a couple of days a week after you are fully adapted to the basic change of eliminating steady state running. After having Covid & my injury my main aim has been to get back running consistently & then to start adding in a bit of speed which is what I am currently doing.

Mon 11th - Rest day

Tues 12th - W/U, 5miles@7:45 w 60sec surge after each mile, C/D

Was a bit apprehensive with the extra mile for this, again just trying to build up my confidence & belief in myself but thankfully it went really well.

Weds 13th - 10*400's

over to the park for this, nice controlled efforts for this.

Thurs 14th - 5*1k & 3 strides

Don't remember too much about this run. Got it done.

Fri 15th April - w/u, 1k@6:30/40, 2min jog, 400@5:55/6:05, 2min jog,800@6:20/30, 6*200's eim, c/d

Another session day already! Again went to the park for this. Settled into the 1st K & felt comfortable enough, 2min rec then off for the 400, enjoyed the speed but again happy to have the recovery. Set off on the 800, a bit too fast so controlled it a bit better, happy with it, kept going & was starting to struggle a bit, though jaysus this feels really long, looked at my watch & then the penny dropped, I had programmed .8 of a mile into my watch by mistake🙈 once i realised my mistake I slowed down a bit, was extremely happy to have the 2 mins recovery 🤣 set off on the 200's & they all went well.

Sat 16th - 6*1k & 3 strides

Got out for this later than usual. Watched Liverpool win in what was a good game, then set off for my run. Weather was nice but I was boll0xed from celebrating my daughter's 25th birthday the night before, lots of drinking & dancing, was a brilliant night but very late one so I was shattered today. Took a bit to get into the 1k reps but once I did get into them I enjoyed them.

Sun 17th - 12*400's

Weather was horrible for this but wanted to get it done before I made dinner for everyone. Went to the park & did the laps of it. This was only 2 more than I usually do but jaysus it felt wayyyyyy longer!! Happy to have this done!

42.5 miles for the week

2 S & C classes done this week, still enjoying them for now😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Hi lainey, I'm starting eim this week, will read back the thread during the week. Looking forward to it, the daily intervals suit me being a previous 400/800 runner who struggles badly with tempos and anything long really. Looking forward to following your progress

Hey IvoryTower! Very best of luck with your EIM training. I am doing it a while now & do really enjoy it. I will also follow your progress on your log😊

Mon 18th - Rest

Tues 19th - 5*1k & strides

Weds 20th - 10*200's @6min off 45 secs, 2min rec, 6*200's EIM

Headed over to my usual spot for these. God the difference a much shorter recovery makes to this faster stuff. Once I got into it I was very happy to get them done as consistently as possible.

Thurs 21st - 6*1k

Fri 22nd - 8*400 EIM

Sat 23rd - Progression run - Brickfields parkrun

Set off for this with my OH & grandson. Got there a bit later than I expected so didn't really get enough of a warm up done. Started off quite comfortably & had decided to try take about 10secs off per km. Passed by my grandson playing on the slide & he was delighted to see me, gave me a big cheer, go nanna E , was very cute. Settled nicely fot the 1st 4 kms, but then the last one I just felt like I was slowing down by a lot! I had been nicely tucked in behind 3 fellas most of the way but 1 dropped behind & the other 2 took off so I was now running alone & feeling it. Unfortunately I think I gave up a bit too easily when it got tough so I will work on that going forward. Tried to sprint to the finish & to my delight I seen my grandson holding the bell ringing it for me! I had the biggest grin on my face. Glad to have gotten this done even though it didn't go exactly to plan but gave me a lot to think about.

Sun 24th - 15*200

Mon 25th - Rest

Tues 26th - 8k endurance run

Happy with this, felt strong enough.

Weds 27th - 2k@6:40/50, 2min rec, 400@6:30

Set off to the local park for this, again happy with how this went.

Thurs 28th - 10*400's

I did these at the lower end of the pace range & enjoyed how relaxed it felt but at the same time keeping my form good.

Friday 29th - 5*1k

Again these were to be done at the lower end of the HR & this also felt really good.

Sat 30th - 3*1k @6:30/35, 2min rec

Was a little apprehensive about this after last weeks PR but I needn't have been. I settled into a nice rhythm straight away & always felt strong. I was working hard at times for sure but it felt controlled so this was a really nice confidence booster for me.

Celebrated the success of this run with a few drinks at my cousins wedding with my mam. Got to watch Liverpool win yet again whilst sitting in the bar, what a time to be a Liverpool fan, Klopp is just brilliant, absolutely delighted to see him signing an extended contract, it's hard to see Man City slip up but we live in hope - YNWA ❤

Sun - 1st May - 16*200

Procrastination is an understatement for me waiting to head out for this🙈 Finally got my ass off the couch & went out. Defo think I could taste alcohol in my sweat👀 took it handy enough & stayed at the easier end of the paces.

Decided I needed a curer so headed out for dinner & a few drinks which lead to me actually staying out most of the night!! Was very happy to have a rest day today!

A huge well done to everyone who ran races this weekend, brilliant to see all the times come in on strava. A huge well done to @Swashbuckler for his amazing sub 3 marathon debut.

Mon 2nd - Rest

Tues 3rd - W/U, 5*7mins@7:30, 1min surge, C/D

Set off for this after work, headed down the KT road, it was very warm but then a shower came which was very welcomed, cooled me down. Felt nice & controlled for each of the reps, was really happy overall with how it went.

Weds 4th - W/U, 2k@6:35/40, 1min rec, 400@6:15, C/D

Another evening run, nice consistent 2k, 400 was tough but managed it well, nice short session, sweating buckets after!

Thurs 5th - W/U, 10*400's, C/D

I did these at the lower end of the pace range & enjoyed how relaxed it felt but at the same time keeping my form good, very humid evening.

Friday 6th - W/U, 5*1k with 4 strides, C/D

Not too much to note about these, happy to have them done - Did get a few funny looks as I was doing air drums to Phil Collins, In the Air Tonight, anything that makes this running lark fun!

Sat 7th - W/U, 3*2k , C/D

Got up early for DIL with my girls, was a lovely morning, meet & chatted with a few people we knew, a good community feeling.

Dropped my youngest daughter home, got changed & set off for my run, had contemplated going back to bed for a bit but with the day that was in decided it was best to get this done. It was a beautiful morning, hardly anyone around on the roads, felt so peaceful. Listened to my dad's playlist (which I haven't listened to in ages) every song that came on had a memory attached to it, some happy, some sad but I really didn't want this run to end. The run went well, enjoyed doing the 2k reps.

Today my dad's ashes were being buried in Newlands Cross, hence the stroll down memory lane. It was a nice little ceremony, very informal but really nice. I got a nice bunch of flowers with my fav Sunflowers in it & my grandson put one of them in beside the ashes as he said they were like sunshine. it finally feels like my dad is in his final resting place, at peace now but most importantly is that my mam is at peace with it now, of course she misses him as we all do but this was her wish for him so I'm happy she will now have somewhere to visit, we all will.

Sun - 8th May - W/U, 10*400, C/D

Yesterday took more out of me than I thought, was feeling a bit zapped of energy so it was lunchtime by the time I did this. It was such a beautiful day, was really enjoying these once I got going.

Mon - 9th - W/U, 2K@6:30/40, 1min rec, 400@6:00, 3min rec, 2*1k@7:30, 800rec, C/D

Took the day off work as a few things popped up for the kids. Had planned on getting this done at lunchtime but with one thing or another that just didn't happen. As the day went on the winds seemed to be picking up so this kinda played a factor in me being doubtful about this session! Got my warm up done & decided to continue on to the KT road instead of doing it in the park. The watch beeped & I set off on the 2k rep, was running into the wind for the 1st bit so decided to just ease into it & knew I could pick it up when I turned with the wind behind me. Settled into a pace & it felt consistent & strong. Finished out this 2k very happy with it, then into the min rest which flew by, now the 400, ran this as evenly as possible, working hard but not killing myself, happy again but delighted to see the recovery 3 mins. I was now turning back up the KT road which was into the wind, thought this was going to be really tough but to my surprise my watch was beeping that I was going faster than the 7:30 pace, it certainly felt a good bit easier so I was convinced the gps must be wrong & that my watch would beep telling me I was going too slow, this never happened, went int the rec then set off for the last 1k rep, again this felt easier than I was expecting, a really nice surprise for me & makes me feel a bit more confident in myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Yeah it certainly seems like you're pretty much back to a very good level of fitness again. Happy days. Some very solid sessions there.

Thanks a mill P, really happy to be feeling a bit more confident, it's something I have been lacking for quite a while but have been working on the mental aspect of my running as well as the physical...hopefully it pays off🤗

• Advertisement

Tues 10th - Rest

Weds 11th - w/u, 10*400's, c/d

Got out for this after work & thankfully managed to avoid the rain. Nice steady reps.

Thurs 12th - w/u, 5*1k & 5 strides, c/d

Lunchtime run, humid but very windy especially coming back up the Katherine Tynan road. Happy with these. Listened to Sonia & Jarlath discussing mental resilience, something I have been working hard on over the last while.

Fri 13th - W/u, 15*200's? C/d

Headed out to the park for this. Seen S in the carpark so set off with him for my warm up, had a bit of a chat & left him as I went down the furze road to start my 200 reps. Always enjoy running in the park & today was no different. Love how controlled I feel doing these & how good my form feels when I pick up the pace. Met S as I finished & ran my cooldown with him, nice to have a bit of company for part of it. Set off home to prep for my sons Confirmation, it was a 6 oclock mass, thankfully it all went really well.

Sat 14th - w/u, 5*1k, 3 strides, c/d

Today was my son's confo meal so I got these done early. Nothing much to note about these, same route as usual. We had a lovely day just immediate family which was nice. Myself, my son & grandson left earlier than everyone else as it was getting a little overwhelming for them. We got home in time to see the penalties & watch Liverpool lift the FA cup. Penos are a horrible way to lose but happy it was Liverpool's day❤

Sun 15th - w/u, 8*400's, c/d

Chilled out for a while and headed out for this in the evening. Enjoyed it & was looking forward to racing Tuesday.

Mon 16th - Rest

Tues - 17th - Bob Heffernan 5k chip time 20:23

I'm not going to do my usual race report for this think I'll just make some observations but not promising it will be short🤣

Decided to do this a few weeks ago mainly to see where I'm at & if I can mentally run a 5k without giving up after my injury & covid!

Arrived in plenty of time to get my number, use the toilets then off for a warm up. Thankfully all the rain cleared up and it was a lovely bright evening. There was a lovely atmosphere, really soaked this up as i was starting to feel a bit nervous. I had no plan really,much to S's shock, I wanted to just see how I'd get on in an official race again. Looking back I really should have had a plan... let's call a spade a spade, the one thing I have learnt from all my 5k races is that I'm absolutely sh!t at pacing them! It's like my mind goes blank from every bit of advice I've ever been given & it's like I just panic at the start. Jogged up to the start line which was very congested. I was a good bit back but kept edging my way up. We were off, a lot of weaving & trying to get past people here. I looked down & my watch, I knew it was set to beep for eack KM rep. Looked down & it said 6 something, I panicked & thought how am I running 6min kms...This was my really stupid moment...if I had of really thought about it that would be a shuffle for me, but as i said panic set in & all sense out the window! I tried to bring it down more, before realising that I never changed the settings to actually display kms, it was still on miles🙈 A very silly mistake which was probably part of me not having a structured plan, I really should have checked all this, anyway the 1st rep beeped at 3:48...crap too fast, how was I going to last? The next 2 kms felt ok, eased off but still felt ok. My mind was in a good place thankgod, it got tough for the 4th but I never, ever felt like giving up! I reminded myself of why i was doing this, how good i felt on my training, how much confidence I had gained in the last couple of months & the most important part was how my mental strength had improved. Last km & I pushed on as much as I could, my legs & lumgs were screaming at this stage, if only I had paced better earlier? I stopped that thought & just focused on getting over that finish line! I seen the time & knew it was an official race PB but that I had done better in a previous TT. I didn't care, I was honestly so happy with finishing it out & in a decent time too.

Looking back, yes I should have had a plan in place & I really should have been more careful with making sure my watch etc was set up correctly. But I am going to take away the fact that I ran a 6:11 1st mile & was still able to run another 2 and a bit miles especially given the fact that when I did my 1mile TT in just under the 6 mins I had to lie on the grass in the PP & there's no way I could have kept running 🤣🤣

I still have a lot to learn about 5ks😉

Weds 18th - Recovery run

Up early for a little birthday run before heading away to a hotel for a couple of days.

Thurs 19th - rest

Fri 20th - w/u, 5*1k, c/d

Mad weather for this, enjoyed the 1st half as it was sunny then got absolutely soaked as it lashed rain!

Sat 21st - w/u, 3*1k@6:30/40, 90sec rec, 400@6min, 3min jog, c/d

A nice humid day for this. Set off for my 1st 1k rep & eased into the pace nicely. 90sec rec went quickly then set off for my 2nd rep, felt very controlled & relaxed but working hard. Felt my stride increase for these faster km reps. Again the 90 secs went by quickly, was now heading back up the KT road & the winds felt very strong, kept it consistent & controlled concentrating on my form too which made the efforts feel good,I was able to keep up at he upper end of the pace but was still within the target without it feeling way too hard. Enjoyed pushing on then for the 400 rep. Really happy with how this went.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a great run E. And an official pb which is a super result. That 1st mile was super going. There's more in you, I don't think you realise it.....yet.... i wouldn't worry too much about not having a plan..there's no harm in trying different things from time to time to see how it works for you. Sometimes having too much of a plan doesnt help either.

5kms are tough alright and need practice all the more reason to celebrate that result, bank it and move on to the next one. Well done.

Thanks a mill P, really appreciate the feedback. yep as they say practice makes perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congrats on the official PB E. I agree with P, no harm in the way you approached it. You went out hard, in hindsight possibly too hard but what if it hadn't have been, you might have walked away with a time beyond your expectations! Your mentor might disagree but no harm to be ballsy every so often, you never know what it might bring you and the beauty of 5ks is the price isn't too high as you can still recover pretty quick and go again should you want to and the next time you can try a more calculated approach 😉

Are you going to follow an EIM plan for DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A barnstorming first mile! Love it. Seriously well done on not blowing up after it.

I can assure you that the 1st mile was totally because I messed up🤣🤣 In spite of this I did come away from the race happy with myself but am eager to not repeat this mistake, hopefully learn from it & see how better I can control a 5k. There was no mentoring involved in this 5k, it was just a marker to see where I am at & a way to shake off the fear of running fast again after my injury. I'm lucky enough that S may make suggestions around certain things but ultimately on race day it is all down to me & I decide how I'm going to run it, sometimes like Antrim & Raheny everything clicks & it just works out really well other times like Jingle bells x 2, it doesn't go so well🤣🤣 As you say the good thing about a 5k is that you can recover quickly & try again!

EIM for me now is a way of running, the main aim of it was to transition from steady state running so going forward that's what I will continue to use, the enjoyment end of my running is extremely important to me as my running is my sanity at the moment & EIM is something I am enjoying.

What would EIM training look like for the marathon?

Have you got a snippet of what a training week towards the mid end of marathon training looks like with the long run involved etc.

There will be a day of 200's and 400's as recovery days, a long run of mixed paces and a few days of 1 and 2k reps all based around the EIM method.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats a super 5k - congrats on the PB and also on the knowledge gained regarding a fast 1st mile and you didn't die!!

• Advertisement

Advertisement