Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptising children

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Now that's a strong accusation! If you believe in non baptism and that children should not be indoctrinated in religious influenced state funded schools, then I suggest to you, that you put your money where your mouth is and back it up by NOT sending your children to same. That's what we did, it's not hard. It just takes a little balls and standing up for your principles.... And they all got on fine, third level degrees in the end etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't necessarily 'believe' in non-baptism, if people want to baptise their children that is their business. But baptism is an 'opt in' thing, not 'opt out'. The norm should be that religion is separate from state business, including schools, and if people want religious education they are the ones that should go looking for it.

Just suppose that we had a completely multicultural society, would you want your children spending their school days learning - for the purpose of practising as against academic knowledge - Protestant and Catholic Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism and so on and on? They would spend all their days learning prayers and rituals. Ok that's an extreme example but it is basically what you are suggesting. Far more reasonable to give children a good secular education and let individuals' religious education be the responsibility of the various religious institutions, and homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I agree with you. Women and homosexuals should not be discriminated against.

I don't buy everything in the Catholic faith.

Communion and confirmation should be out of primary schools.

We should move to a place where the education sector is totally run by the state but unfortunately because of historical reasons this is tough to do because the state doesn't directly want to run schools. It likes a bit of distance.

Even though 90% of teachers are paid by the state the state still likes to claim we are all employees of various boards of mgt.

I just think religion is part of the human experience. It can be a positive influence and has been. Not always. European society is heavily influenced by Christianity. In a positive sense.

As to child abuse the vast vast number of kids will be abused by their family not a church. But yes the cover ups by the church were horrendous but when i go to my local church i don't go to be told what to do i go to connect with the transcendent.

I just hate the blow hards on this site who would not give 2 euros to a childs charity. Too much virtue signaling.

The real robbers of childhood these days are the media not the church.

That battle is over

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i heard an analogy in a meeting earlier which is apt here.

a colleague was telling us that he was experiencing a problem, and the feedback he got on reporting it, he likened it to after having complained of a puncture and asking how to fix it, he was told the solution was to sweep the nails off the road. but he was still left with punctured tyres.

suggesting that non-religious people have an obvious out, of sending their kids to one of the under 10% of publicly funded national schools which are secular, is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is absurd, especially as the actual figure for Educate Together schools is under 5%. Most non-catholic schools are Church of Ireland.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Amazing the ignorance here. Yes the state pays the lions share of an underfunded system.

You'd think to take you seriously that there was a parish priest on every board. There ain't what planet do you live on. The church has minimal influence day to day. Loads of legislation protecting kids who don't want to do Catholic religion in school.

Sure I agree in principle but you can only live in the times you live in and row along as best you can. My old man gave some good advice once, he said 'beware of zealots'. In this context, doesn't matter whether religious zealots or atheist zealots, best avoided and most people find a route through life and society as best they can. So in OPs case, if he's not bothered by religion that's fine but if is partner is keener, well let her at it. The children will learn from both parents anyway and how they manage their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Ok, let me explain to you very simply. At the moment in Catholic primary schools, children are being taught Catholicism as fact. Not as something some people believe. Now imagine if you were sending your children to a school and the teacher was teaching them that there was definitely no God. Do you see the issue here? Would you be happy in the second case?

It would be far better for everyone, if all religious instruction was done within the family and/ or on local parish time. That's logically how it should be done as the parents are the primary educators of their children. Just like you show your child how to sit up or pee in the toilet. There's no good reason to devolve religious instruction of any sort to schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭fits

My little boy will be starting primary in a CoI school in September and will have two assemblies a week with the reverend. I’m sure it’s harmless enough but there are no options where we live for families like ours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah, you're taking the mick now. is that three or four times you've said you're leaving the conversation? it's getting funny.

What, precisely, did you find ignorant in my post?

As I said earlier, it doesn't matter whether a school is RCC, CoI or ET patronage, the state funding is exactly the same.

The church might have minimal influence day-to-day but it has enough to ensure that religious instruction is delivered according to the syllabus it sets out and they have diocesan inspectors to enforce this. As employers the school boards of managaement are exempt from religious discrimination legislation.

The constitution has lofty words about the rights of parents to protect their children from religious instruction in school, but these words are empty words. Many schools still try to discourage parents from opting-out their kids and it's a farce anyway when they're in the same room colouring in while their peers are singing hymns or being preached at. Then there's the class masses, priest visits etc. often with little or no notice and never any alternative supervision, so unless parents can call around at the drop of a hat to remove their kids they have to participate in religious worship.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I tend to agree with you. Sacraments should be taken out of schools. However i have seen a huge amount of bad parenting out there. Also it seems parents can't teach their kids the facts of life or how to eat healthy according to constant stream of directives we get.

It beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Far too much unnecessary thinking. Baptism and Catholicism and the church isn’t what it used to be. No harm whatsoever in having your kids baptised. You can have your children baptised and still keep your distance from the church.

Why would you go along with it just because the "church isn't what it used to be"?

State finding for secondary schools varies greatly depending on its model.

The main issue here is primary schools though.

Why would you bother then? What's the point of baptizing them if you're gonna keep your distance from the church?

What a waste of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You get to have a 'welcome baby' party. Thing is though, you could have that without the baptism, just have a party.

Nobody was talking about secondary schools though, as you were no doubt well aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Sure you may aswell do the equivalent ceremonies for Judaism, Islam, Church of Ireland, and whatever it is the Mormons and the Amish do, then keep your distance from all of those organisations also.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My children are baptised. And I don’t attend church at all. Only for certain occasions. I don’t see it as at all a waste of time. I just did it to go along with the general and normal sense in thus country. Children in Ireland are generally baptised. People need to stop overreacting, over-thinking and trying too hard to find problems, and problems that stemmed from the past mostly.

Church bashing is just another recent fad that folks have jumped on. People pretending to be bothered by the church.

all the more pathetic that in a marriage and two people conflicted and arguing over whether their children should be baptised. Get over it, and baptise them and live.

The original comment you replied to stated that the OP was dead set against it. It is fine to either baptise or not, it is really up to the parents. Some will go along with it out of a kind of apathy, similar to yourself it seems. Some have real issues with the church and would absolutely not want to.

You mentioned that the church is not what it once was. What do you mean? It is not systematically covering up and facilitating the sexual and physical abuse of children anymore? Well that might be true, but I don't think you can ever come back and be forgiven for that.

The children in my family are not baptised, because no one goes to church and we don't believe in God. Plenty of their friends are not baptised either.

There is no church bashing going on. It's a complete waste of time to baptize kids if they are not going to be part of the church.

would you give them a bar mitzvah?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

@Bobtheman I have deleted your post -I don't think I need to explain why.Kindly avoid trolling.
    I have left this thread open to try and promote a reasonable discussion, but some of the posts are heading down a rabbit hole that belongs in the Atheism or Christianity forums.I do not know if the OP is still here (@pi_anon_argh ); I'll leave the thread run a little longer, but please try to keep to the topic of the OPs original query/comment, and avoid the heavy theological discussions.
    I understand it can be a difficult line to walk, but I will close the thread if it keeps going round in circles.
    S

Im not absolutely certain funding for all primary schools is the same. I know fee paying private primary schools don't receive state funding.

It might vary further. I don't any of you sit on a BOM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you know how patronage works, with the church appointing the chairperson and one other BOM member?

What legislation are you referring to here? Kids who opt out of religion still have to sit through indoctrination classes, prayers, school masses and more.

• Advertisement

Look I give up. Kids get all the sacraments and come out atheists. Thus calling it indoctrination is silly.

It serves as a counter point in terms of value to the gross materialism and narcissistic culture we are in. Kids might not believe in God after it but they might absorb some non head up me hole values.

There are opt outs for religion. It's up to you to look them up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement