Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

It doesn't matter what background you are from or what colour your skin is, to hurt someone never mind kill them and decapitate them means you should never be free again. And hopefully if the guards have the right person they will be imprisoned until they die. May the victims of this terrible crime rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

My sincerest condolences to the family of the two men who were killed. I understand the need for sensitivity in this time, and so folks are being slow to make any sort of statements regarding their killings. I grew up in an area where there was a double homicide, many years ago, and whilst there was a media presence, there was a sensitivity too-folks knew that families had been affected. A few politicians extended their sympathies to their family.

I find it tragic how quiet folks have been in condemning these deaths. No matter their sexuality (be they straight or lgbtqia+). They were lives taken far too soon. In horrible circumstances. A simple 'My condolences to their friends and family' or something. But nope. Everyone was tripping over themselves to 'make a statement' regarding another high profile recent case, but nothing regarding these poor individuals.

If their murders are found to be grounded in homophobia (and it's too early to say if they are, just yet) I think the silence on their killings is equally abhorrent. It shows that members of the lgbt+ community are still treated as lesser citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I just can’t agree that LGBT community are treated lesser. Whatever constitutes lesser, likely could be applied to anyone in society. One could point out examples of “treated lesser” across all sections of society

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Serial killers tend to vary a lot, but a lot of murders of gay men, are homosexual themselves, if not most. It is just like most of women are heterosexual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Quite a lot of "gay bashers" are repressed guys themselves.

Very true. But in an era when we are told 'this person is a strong independent person'... and then proceeds to cry because someone said something mean to them on social media, when there are genuine cases of hate, of (possible) phobia, they stay silent.

Even Virgin Media's weather guy called out the hypocrisy. Tho tbf, he should probably have a word with a few of his coworkers, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

How can somebody have such a take?, unbelievable, twitter is a cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I remember a film years ago with Kevin Spacey in it, some guy in it was very homophobic but then turned out to be gay himself.

Absolutely terrible what happened in Sligo. Whoever did it needs to be put away for a very very long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This was the dumbest take so far, we are just missing a week of blaming Catholic schools as happened with that poor teacher last year.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

My quick take on events:

quite a few Irish very happy to sing the praises of newcomers yet their underlying appreciation is actually linked to how they use and abuse the newcomers .

sometimes the cost is more than €

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some of the absolute morons that are going around as "professors" and "Dr" is shocking.

I wonder what made up course she is a expert on?

Gender Critical I think, like Terf , basically uppity women

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

no doubt something with "social" in it, I'm sure she wouldnt even know where the science block is on the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Here she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

And the award for deflection goes to you. Turning the debate around already. You cannot debate the indefensible but you sure can push the everyone bar me is a fascist line.

As for RTE. Well the news last night was from Sligo, and then much of the comment afterwards during the 6.1 bulletin. Let's see how the rest of their reporting goes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Our second one,lets not forget the Dundalk attacks that were brushed under the mental health rug. He'd have killed more if the locals hadn't been so proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

This crime like all other crimes should be reported accurately in the news, to protect people and warn them about meeting people online going forward, who to avoid ect. After all there is a bit of a trend recently with murders in this country and that can't be ignored. Rip to the two men involved and sincerest condolences to their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You seem to think that being gay is a choice & that everyone is happy being gay. Of course it can be a homophobic attack if the attacker is gay. We have no idea what is going through someones mind when they carry out these terrible crimes.

Allegedly there are about 330 million users of twitter. Roughly 217 million active users. So there's a good chunk of abandoned accounts.

But its widely been acknowledged to genuinely cause mental health issues. (As has all social media). When you have 200 million + people genuinely thinking they dictate what happens in the world... that's not healthy.

Twitter is the place where logic goes to die. Highly intelligent people become IDIOTS on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Another bad take from an Irish politician , they sure like injecting their agendas and hobby horses into everything

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Everyone and everything is now rowing in, by the academic going after gender critical women, has to be the comedy event of the year. Thanks to the poster who confirmed what a GC was.

Unfortunately for all of us, it is very easy to get desensitized very quickly to tragic events and that position is very reflective just reading through this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Absolute drivel start to finish in that bio.

How depressingly unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not completely unreasonable. When it comes to crimes against LGBT+ in particular, there's often a strong religious aspect to it. If not directly committed due to religious beliefs, the perp may have spent their entire life hearing from religious leaders about how homosexuality is a sin, homosexuals are evil/unclean/whatever. That stuff embeds in young minds and creates hateful adults with strong ingrained bigotry.

No, it doesn't cause them to go on and murder people. That requires a broken person. But it does give broken people a motivation or a focus. Where in other circumstances they might recognise their murderous intent as a sickness, when they have been taught to hate, they can use that hate to justify it.

Society really needs to start cracking down on incitement to hatred pretending to be "religious belief". Whatever religion it belongs to and whoever says it, preaching hate against minorities and sowing division in society must not be tolerated. "It's my religious belief" isn't good enough.

• Advertisement

From the thetimes.co.uk

Gardai believe the man suspected of murdering two men in Sligo was planning to kill more victims in the coming days.

The suspect was working his way through a list of men whom he had befriended on a gay dating app when arrested by gardai investigating the murders of two men found at separate locations in Sligo.

Gardai believe the killer befriended his victims on Grindr, the gay dating app.

Gardai are urgently trying to identify other men the suspect might have contacted in recent weeks on dating apps. At least one other man is said to have been subjected to a violent assault after agreeing to meet him.

Detectives believe other gay men living in the Sligo region may have had similar experiences and are urging them to come forward.

Advertisement