Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

To review here. The suspect is 22, not 20. Some of the most solid couples I know, same sex or hetero, have 25+ year age gaps so it's not that unusual. But the real kicker here is the implication, that these 2 men who have just been murdered, were "groomers" a term going around at the moment to describe gay men. It's a term meant to imply that all gay men are peadophiles. It's to normalise hatred against that section of society, which then inevitably leads to violence against that community. All of this on a thread about 2 men who were targeted and killed because of their sexuality. Trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

thanks now i understand a bit better i'm not in gay circles, in my own circles it just seems odd that's all i was saying i meant no offence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

heard on the radio AGS are investigating whether other victims are yet to be discovered, pretty grim if the case

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd also say that these horrible murders should make us question our online habits, or how careful we are to meeting people from dating apps. I saw guidelines being posted out from various accounts yesterday, and I suppose you'd do at least some of them without even thinking about it, but it's really important to stress just how vital they can be. Just a few precautions taken could save yourself from a potentially life threatening situation.

Isn't there an inherent risk though to hooking up with strangers via the Internet for casual sex (and of course we can't say for sure that's what the victims in this case were doing) that isn't there with other 'mating rituals'? I don't see how you can do any serious 'background check' on who you are letting through your door since a lot of the point of these 'dating apps' is their anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think they're referring more to whether anyone else was attacked or assaulted by this guy. Common enough for people not to report it, for various reasons. The fear of going to the Gardai, having to tell them you met a guy you didn't know from Grindr and he beat you up. Would the Gardai laugh? I have no doubt some of them would. And others would tell you to cop on and don't be meeting people you don't know. Not least the fact that Sligo is a small place so it would require you having to out yourself officially in order to make a complaint.

There is of course also the potential that there are other murder victims; single men who live alone and wouldn't be noticed if they fell off the grid for a couple of days. I really hope not.

• Advertisement

i do for sure he's a sicko i don't know anyone that looks up to him apart from teenagers in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope there is vigils and rallies nationwide for these two murdered victims

Well aware of Google. What faux outrage?

I didn't ask what is faux outrage. I would like you to explain your post, in relation to me. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd imagine the victims internet history made it quiet straightforward. Shame he wasn't apprehended after the horrific attack on the Saturday.

• Advertisement

Honestly, yes, it is risky. I've taken the risk myself. There's been times gotten up to the bathroom in the middle of the night, come back in and see a lady I met for the first time merely hours ago and thought "Jesus, I could be anyone or anything". I suppose the risk is on me too if I don't know them but I dunno, it doesn't really come into mind so much, likely for the same reasons they don't focus on it so much as well as the obvious physical advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Has the suspect been interviewed and admitted that he killed the men because of their sexuality or are People assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

Think there is one on Friday.

Sure there is, there's a risk in everything we do, but like with any aspect in life it's about minimizing that risk. The ways to go about minimizing the risk of meeting people from dating apps for a casual hookup need to continue to be spread. And I would say the most vulnerable are those of an older age group who did not grow up with dating apps as the norm, and those who have maybe only just come out. Those are the people you want to get this information to. Reading through the guidelines that the Gardai posted yesterday and places like GCN posted you want to make it almost 2nd nature for people to do those things.

Not to deny the extra element of being outed, but there's been tonnes of cases especially in the UK where there are robbery rings targeting straight and gay guys where they'll go til it goes wrong and a serious assault happens, cops put out an appeal and get a good dozen reports of previous incidents.

Sorry, I didn't turn up the sarcasm high enough. :P

And how quickly do you think gardai could access the victims internet history?

It isn't CSI you know. The suspect was seen on CCTV footage and recognised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

As usual people are assuming.

Hopefully he’ll be charged and this thread will be shut down.

So cannot back up your post and then try to patronize me 'dear'

Stand over your posts or don't make them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I don't want to speculate on this particular case but one massive and growing area that remains a feeding ground for festering bigotry is the internet.

Where real world learned bigotry in modern day Ireland can no longer radicalize hatred to the extent of consistent cases of assault and murder there are many places online for this radicalization.

We can see from this case that the internet makes murders and attacks easier by allowing easier unvetted access to potential victims.

There are a large proportion of the country which is tolerant, but there are a small number which are not and many of these are on the internet and wide open to further poisoning.

Again, not alleging the case here but this online radicalization crosses many borders and has been responsible for many attacks murders, and mass murders-homophobic, sectarian, anti muslim, anti-semite , and anti western etc.

As a case in point on this thread we have already witnessed a poster try and plant the seed that the culprit may not be Irish in effect calling for racism in response to a deadly homophobic attack.

We have seen in many countries where politicians mildly encourage these general repulsive attitudes because they see that many people are being pushed that way in the online silos and they see easy votes by adopting that right wing point of view.

Just throwing the idea out there that although unknown in this case, the preponderance of online hate groups is causing much polarization and at the extreme end, attacks and murders.

Do not allow Politicians to hand wring and then ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That's some amazing CCTV that was able to tell them that they both victims had met him through Grindr.

On the video of his arrest (diff location to one I posted previously) the ARU are shouting their orders, you hear a guy shout back saying “he doesn’t speak English I will translate”, same guy goes onto say there are children in the house, then it goes back to ARU and you clearly hear them shouting PUT DOWN YOUR PHONE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Heinous abhorrent crimes. Absolutely awful. At the core of it you have two men who were well regarded and loved by their friends and families brutally murdered.

This thread and by extension society is such a clusterfuck. Anti immigration, anti LGBT anti non LGBT and everything else at odds with each other. People jumping on agendas and to conclusions. TV weathermen creating issues where there is no issue. "Basically this person had a vigil, why is there no vigil for these men" FFs give it a rest it's only been a few hours.

Quickly. jumping. on. agendas.

Social media - mainly twitter has a lot to be blamed for it's drove people absolutely mental.

In the meantime, as people argue amongst each other, project their misguided options in some cases to suit their agendas and jump to conclusions the memory of the dead fades away into the background.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wonder can you think of any other brutal murder where people rushed to shoehorn in their anti-men agenda and tried to blame all crime on men?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I assume Today FM will have a minute's silence too, while there will be an extended feature on the Late Late

What a horrible couple of events. Terrifying and disgusting in equal measures.

Seeing the clamour for it to be labelled a hate crime (which some see as even more serious as a "regular" murder), and seeing the fervor from people want to label it a terror attack/religiously motivated are two **** cheeks of the same arse.

We simply don't know enough/anything about the motive to come to any conclusion. Ffs we even have speculation that the murderer was a self hating gay homophobe!

I'm all for discussion but this agenda driven shite that only polarises people is unnecessary and distasteful.

We saw it in the murder along the canal a couple of months ago and it looks like we will see it again now.

Hopefully justice will be served.

Man goes on gay hookup app with ill intentions, creates a list of men from this app he's been in contact with, kills 2 of the men and brutally attacks another.

Conclusion: Sure this isn't targeted at all, stop playing the victim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Of course it was random; by all accounts the attacker just picked gay men at random purely because they were gay.

Well, that's a very warped interpretation of what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't care the motive, age, race, religion, sex or ethnicity etc., of the murderer, deserves to serve all his life in a hell hole prison 

Advertisement