Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

What strikes me from looking at the photos released of the two victims are that they look to be two gentle souls.

Its likely the killer spotted that too while browsing online.

It's hard to comprehend what goes through these sadists minds, but it has nothing to do with their religion that's for sure.

You went for a problems on both sides argument including those who think it's pretty reasonable to view these as homophobic murders. He was using Grindr to make a list of gay men to kill. That's pretty strong grounds to assume homophobia played a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If you look at countries which criminalise being gay, they have something in common which generally comes down to the predominant religion in those countries which influences such laws. I'm not sure how you can say the perpetrator's attacks have "nothing" to do with their religion in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

"Seeing the clamour for it to be labelled a hate crime (which some see as even more serious as a "regular" murder")

Well then what is it mate? Call it what it is. This guy went onto a gay dating app, to target gay men, he killed 2 gay men and assaulted 1 gay man. Call it what it is. It's a hate crime. Different levels but it's the same as the guy in George's Street over the weekend shouting a homophobic slur and then beating up the 23 year old lad because of his sexuality. It's a hate crime.

Was it really necessary to arrange the nationwide public vigils for 6.00 pm tomorrow which clashes with the Leinster V Connacht rugby game in Lansdowne Road? I'm sure that I'm not the only person who was considering going along, but now won't be able to. (Probably including some of the Emerald Warriors players who might have bought tickets for the game.)

• Advertisement

I don't know the guys and I'm not exactly knee-deep in the gay or hook-up culture/scene but I've seen grindr and if you're not used to it it's ah, a lot. Leaving aside the gay bit, I would think an older, lonely person having someone around who is younger and seems into them and doesn't appear to play games well, it would make the day/week/month/year. The killer likely just picked guys who would accommodate straight off the bat and who he thought wouldn't present much of a "challenge". Ugh, it's **** gruesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I appreciate where you're going with this, and implying that there could be a personal element to the murders, or it's more a case that their being gay was incidental. And while that's a possibility, the nature of their deaths (which I'm not going into here, it'll come out in time) says that there's a 99% chance they were murdered for being gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Looks that way Mike but no way to know for sure, the perp might be gay too who knows I think that was the point

A hate crime. Sure. Every premeditated murder is a hate crime.

Going onto an app designed primarily for same sex hookups, making a list of gay men to target, killing 2 of those men. That's not a hate crime?

What in your head constitutes a hate crime?

Was the attack on George's Street over the weekend a hate crime in your opinion?

• Advertisement

Absolutely. But you would also have to then agree that if the reports are true and that the man was of a certain background, it would be strong grounds to believe that his religion/heritage played a part.

I'd be uncomfortable with that.

I said it was a hate crime.

But no more and no less of a hate crime than any other premeditated murder.

The murders were absolutely sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Indeed, both awful murders and shocking for two nieces to discover their uncle in such a condition.

But, indeed, we struggle with stating facts. It makes the problem worse when you find the Irish media saying things like "The Sligo Champion has reported that the man, who grew up in Sligo and attended school there" with a Father Ted awkwardness over the apparent fact that the person isn't a Sligo native.

There's a better way of facing realities.

I think you have a pretty warped view on what a hate crime is.

Also it seems from your messages there's like a ranking order going on of what are the worst kind of murders, as though a hate crime murder supersedes a different kind of murder. All murder is bad. This isn't the bad Olympics.

And here's a definition of a hate crime for you: "a crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds."

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But there is nuance here. Targeting certain people to kill based off hatred towards certain aspects/traits/markers of these people is different than a more general run of the mill murder..

not saying that these two murders fit the above description. Will wait to hear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are there any incidents of "love" crime at all? Surely every serious crime is hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"isn't a Sligo native"

It's interesting the clamour to try and prove that this person is not Irish. If someone grew up in Sligo, went to school in Sligo as a child, then they are fundamentally no different to a "native".

Otherwise you're implying that there is something in their "non-native" nature which has made the difference here. Which is....you know.

The Irish media are being careful to dispel any rumours that this has been an imported problem. That they arrived in on a boat and started killing people.

If the perp grew up in Ireland, then he's a 100% home-grown problem.

Nuance! Not all murders are the same.

example: murdering someone in gangland because they “might” rat you out. Is that a hate crime? No, it’s a premeditated murder. There is no real marker there to label it a hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus, the semantic gymnastics some people will engage in to try and convince themselves this doesn't qualify as a hate crime...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭cgcsb

He probably thought the older guys would be more vulnerable. A coward, he didn't want to risk a younger guy making him eat floor. Also the older guys probably would have been more accommodating, willing to meet in their own home, at his leisure.

Age is less taboo in gay male circles. I read about a study on age preference in the heterosexual community. They showed a sample of women and men of all age groups a serious of pictures of the opposite sex and asked them to pick the 5 most attractive. Almost all of the men from all age groups picked women aged between 22 and 30. Almost all the women picked men close to their own age.

Perhaps that shows that men maintain their attractiveness later in life ? Or maybe that men only like women in the fertile age range. It makes sense when you look at celebrity culture, Madonna gets laughed at for acting 'sexy' and Harison Ford is celebrated despite not making any effort to look younger than he is.

Either way people are into all sorts and if they're not hurting anyone, what of it. This killer tricked his way into his victims home and brutally murdered them, this is the real story

• Advertisement

Need to dumb this down:

Jonny murdering Mary because she’s Muslim, or gay and Jonny hates Muslims or gays is a hate crime (murder)

Johnny murdering Mary because she cut across him in traffic is not a hate crime murder, or murdering his wife to pocket life assurance is not a hate crime!

hate crimes have specific meaning.

Letting strangers into your home for sex gay or straight is a bad idea and dangerous i hope this message get's out there

Wrong attitude with a weird undercurrent of "it was they're own fault"

hookup culture is a thing in society. There's no rowing back on it. What should be out there is taking the proper precautions to lessen the risk as much as possible. That's proactive.

My view on what a hate crime is would be: A crime, motivated by hatred of a specific group or individual. I think that would accurately define a hate crime.

These murders would absolutely fit as a hate crime.

I never once claimed there was the "bad olympics". In fact, that is my point. The clamour to call define these murders, from certain people, as a "hate crime" is implying that there is a hierarchy and it in someway makes it more serious.

I think the label of a hate crime makes absolutely no significance to the seriousness of these murders.

Cannot say this. You will be accused of victim blaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Careful now, the common sense argument generally gets attacked by the “you’re victim blaming” and “I should have the right to invite someone into my home without expecting to be possibly attacked” brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Generally yes you'd be right but that's not strictly true. There are examples of migrant communities that have insular cultures that are nearly entirely separate from their host nation. I can think of a few examples:

The orthodox Jewish community of Williamsburg New York have been in situ for at least 4 generations. Have their own language, don't allow their members to have Internet or TV access unless they are 'elders' women are forced to marry as teens and banned from education. All married women have to shave their heads. Many cannot speak English at all and most certainly do not call themselves 'Americans'. This is an extreme example sure but look at the Pakistani community of the UK that effectively operates under its own laws. Migrant communities in Ireland are probably too small to achieve these levels of separation from mainstream but it is possible.

not sure how you read that, but yes i agree with you on precautions, and one would not be inviting strangers into your home to me that's madness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The details that came out of this case yesterday were shocking, I genuinely didn't see it taking this turn. Not good that we had to rely on a UK newspaper to tell us either. Perhaps homophobia in Ireland isn't the key issue to focus on here.

The poor men, I hope their families can somehow find peace.

• Advertisement

What I hope for here is this killer to be permanently removed from society. Utterly dangerous. If I had my way a bullet to the head. But we don’t have this. So 100 years sentence just to be safe. Or in our legal system, life….whatever they agree this to be.

Advertisement