Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Ireland is both becoming, and is more tolerant than in the past, with regard to sexual orientations, that is for sure. Many wealthy western countries are. But it is silly to ignore that for basically all of human history, Homosexuality was viewed as wrong and in many cases illegal. The religions identify it as morally wrong and forbidden by the different Gods.

The reason I highlight this is because it is not outrageous to think there are religious types here who find it abhorrent and could identify it as a virtue to punish Homosexual people. Remember, we have only entered our period of enlightenment in this part of the world in the last 20 or so years. Many of those from other countries that are not as privileged as us wouldn't see things that way.

We are currently in the middle of the holy month for some people here and so with all the above, I think posters are not outrageous to wonder is this another case of murder of Irish people by others from outside the state. It has happened quite a bit recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

I don't see anyone saying that these 2 murders are worse than other murders. Murder is murder.

But the inherent nature of a hate crime means it is an attack against a certain group of people, these 2 people were killed because they were apart of the same community. And as someone in the same group as those 2 men I can tell you it's been a horrible week. 4 high profile homophobic attacks, 2 of those being murders. Which is why it's important to recognise a hate crime when you see it, because it has an effect on that whole community and can be very telling in terms of trends and attitudes to that group which has a knock on effect for the safety of members of that group.

Essentially though you're saying don't forget to turn off the taps on the Titanic. It's putting your hands over your eyes and shouting loudly. Hookup culture has existed forever. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it obviously. If you are going to do it though then take precautions. Trying to argue a problem out of existence is just unrealistic.

It's either a hate crime or it's a serial killer / sexual thing, depending on the motive. It sounds like hate crime though based on the rumours.

Didn't take you long to start your moralizing about the victims sex lives again..... You're showing your true colours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

that's your opinion and i respect it and you but please stop trying to put words in my mouth that fit your opinion. You don't HAVE to bring a stranger into your home the first time you meet them, i didn't years ago in my prime, and i don't now it's dangerous. Even wait till the second time ! Or go to a hotel not on your own in a quiet house. Meet for a beer or a coffee whatever is all i'm saying but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They grew up in Sligo, in a home of very different views/culture to the locally accepted norms. It would probably be better to phrase it this way, but very much this is an imported problem. If people want to live and prosper here they need to respect the accepted way of life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I'm not saying it's not the case but the full facts haven't been established. It was a horrible crime is all I know. I was actually saying I don't think the current discussions are helpful for society. Society at large doesn't have any responsibility for making a murderer. It's much more specific than that. Blaming society or a section of society does no favours to the victims. On the other hand blaming the victims as has happened on thread here is disgusting too. In the absence of full facts people are filling the void with thier own opinion and prejudice.

The most important thing here is 2 people are dead, the murder found them to be vulnerable targets and acted on his impulse to kill. The blame is with him. His background, religion, race, belief system, mental health are factors in what made him a murderer. But that discussion should be had when the full facts are established and then the understandable emotions and fears of people can be addressed in a responsible lucid manner.

The tone of the current discussions adds no value and certainly doesn't comfort the victims , the families and friends.

With that , I'm out of here. There's a reason I don't post in this forum and AH. All the best , I hope the case hasn't impacted you personally or professionally.

Of course they don't "HAVE" to. Nobody has to. It's about educating people about taking proper precautions. And that's why I say the most at risk group of people probably is those of an older age group, who are probably more trusting of what they receive online, who perhaps wouldn't think to text a friend that they're having someone over at a certain time, or who maybe wouldn't send their live location to a friend just to be on the safe side. Things like making sure you receive a face picture first, things like getting their social media if possible, maybe even having a quick video call with them beforehand, all of that stuff are things I'd pretty much always do most of the time and even then I still might go for a coffee or a drink first, but if that isn't happening then taking the other precautions for sure. But that's a matter of educating, rather than a matter of saying to people no more casual hookups.

so basically you agree with me then ! good post LOB that will help more than worrying about my post or accusing me of something i didn't say or mean

• Advertisement

Essentially maybe we are saying the same thing. Though the tone is quite different. Where you sound accusatory, as though these 2 men are at fault for their own murders, my tone would be that hooking up is absolutely OK so long as you feel comfortable doing it and there's guidelines available to you to help with that. At the end of the day, even if you didn't do a single one of those guidelines, it still does not excuse the murder one iota for killing 2 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What difference does it make if you bring them home after the second or third date? That doesn’t guarantee anything. Your logic doesn’t make any sense.

Did you see the video of the arrest (not the mail coach road one)? Is the person talking the suspect as that person says “he doesn’t speak English” when the gardai take someone from the front room. The guy is very, very calm when talking to the guard.

Nothing guarantees anything Jequ0n you're right but at least you get to see the person, meet them and get a feel for them, are they upfront and normal ect before bringing them to where you live, i would have thought this common sense no ?

dude there you go accusing me again when we are saying the same thing it's weird. Just to be clear, i agree with your last inciteful post and think it will help more than meaningless attacks on me because i don't speak in the same "tone" as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭dbas

Plenty of gay people out there who are very tough, and give off that vibe in photographs etc.

All I meant was, this perpetrator appears to have selected gentle looking men to victimise.

A psychopathic parasite who's name will hopefully be forgotten long before his victims names.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

And how do you know they didn’t meet in a public place for a first glance and then headed home?

If someone has bad intentions they will carry them out whenever or wherever it seems suitable.

I don't think not victim blaming is particularly inciteful but there you go. And I'm not interested at all in attacking you. The only important thing is that hopefully they've found the right guy, that maybe it's time we took an introspective look at why hate crimes are so much on the rise here, and how we can try to be safer to protect ourselves as much as possible after a genuinely horrible week for the community.

I don't, none of us know all the details. It's reducing the risk Jequ0n in my opinion, not making it easy.

Your advice would be inciteful to people who are meeting up with strangers that's what i meant, letting friends know ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Tbh, the more obvious "clamour" is the one I was drawing attention to. Ironically, if the person was a Sligo native, the papers wouldn't be saying they "grew up and attended school" there.

You've actually illustrated the Father Ted awkwardness that I'm talking about.

Fair enough, basically I think we're both getting at the same thing. I'm just saying that, and I know this from experience, guys of that age just aren't as tech savvy as younger guys, that sounds like a generalisation, maybe it is, but that's just been my experience of it. And to guys of that age group, you've been texting a guy online, a question of trust probably would barely factor into their thoughts because they're taking the guy at face value. He says he wants casual sex, you want casual sex. Getting the word out there about best practice can only be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, you can grow up in a country/city and be raised completely different than an average person. One look around Europe would see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since time immemorial, humans have always sought to "other" perpetrators of crime so as to distance themselves and their community from it. To comfort themselves in the knowledge that this was an external evil visited upon their community and therefore it could never have been their father, mother, brother, sister, cousin, child, who had committed these acts.

And that by banishing the "others" we can resume a peaceful life.

The first question people always ask about a murderer is whether they were a local. Always. That's why the media goes to establish it as soon as they can. Because when they don't, people always jump to the conclusion that they weren't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@thefallingman do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Fine, then don't we need to acknowledge that human instinct and deal with it honestly. Instead of suppressing facts, and reporting deliberating misleading facts. That's all I'm saying. The selection of facts in that Sligo Champion article shows their editorial policy is hyper-sensitive to race - that's simply the case.

But you are insinuating I'm racist for saying just that (and, yes, you are - no need to dodge). And many of us find the problem is made worse, not better, by that rush to judgment by folk who share that awkward Father Ted impulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

RIP to the poor men and their families, totally horrific and barbaric killings.

For those who think it is irrelevant that the victims are members of the gay community, maybe consider that the murderer did not find these victims on dating websites for heterosexual people. It seems obvious just from that one detail that their sexual orientation is what unfortunately made them targets of the perpetrator.

As an aside, the reports from the times are written by an Irish journalist, they have an Ireland section of their newspaper, with a team of journalists, admin staff etc based in an office in Dublin. So the report is essentially from the Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This thread is already a swamp.

RIP to the two victims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Except the Irish media are not reporting the full story. It’s infuriating. The same issue is playing out internationally. Many outlets in the States,said the gunman on the train was 5foot 5inches tall but did not mention his race.

i don’t agree with labelling a whole community/race based on stereotypical held beliefs, but there is an agenda in the Irish media to “not offend” Which is causing more issues than it solves.

no one deserves to die due to their sexuality, race, religion. This for me is the abhorrent part. Simply because of perceived difference, these men were killed.

Advertisement