Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is what pure totalitarianism looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Don't think who discovered it or didn't was the point of the comment. But more importantly if you check

The title of the BBC news article is

Nasa scientists spy 'largest comet ever seen'

That's " SPY" and not "discovered btw

And if you read the article. You would have seen this.

"According to a statement from the space agency, it was discovered by astronomers Pedro Bernardinelli and Gary Bernstein in archival images from the Dark Energy Survey at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile."

And no I didn't say the Romans would've seen it back then. I said "if the Romans were still around "

And more importantly I did not quote Any "US News outlets".

So your "arse" is irrelvant I'm afraid"

But nothing like a load of passionate exaggeration to belabour a point

But no matter 🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have always thought of Putin as on the level of a Mafia hit-man and thug, only wearing an expensive suit.

Of course it's a ridiculous image as those sorts of people at least take some risk with their own hide, wheras Putin doesn't have that sort of courage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭JoChervil

But there is a fertile soft soil there. And just coming out of winter, when the ground was frozen. If Russians will be limited to use narrow roads only, so the Ukrainians may win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

I think taking the Donbas is an unlikely aspiration at this stage. The Ukrainians see a golden opportunity to put the disputed territory to bed once and for all. Drive out the Russians and drive out their donbas based pro Russian agitators whilst they have complete access to the support networks. Turn south a reclaim Crimea and set about rebuilding a country for Ukranians without having to deal with internal strife constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

When ever this is all over, I'd say that any real Russian hardliners would be long gone home to Russia, ( especially the "Wagneriens" ) but there were many ethnic Russians there too, who didn't want to live under Russian rule, and many are fighting with the Ukrainians. be it long or short, its only a question of time before Ukraine will recover all of its territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Details of what happened to the Moskva from the Lithuanian government. Far more credible and plausible than anything the Russian liars / war criminals are claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Turks and Romanians are reporting it sank at 3am with a Turkish ship rescuing 51 sailors.

Apart from the propaganda value to the Ukrainians, this is a huge military setback for the Russians in the Black Sea and leaves their overall war effort weakened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Absolutely. The Slava class are not only powerful warships, they're also set up as task group flagships, meaning they have significant Command, Control & Communications systems in addition to their extensive sensor suite and weapons fit. The loss of such a ship, whether sunk or as a partially burned-out hulk, is going to drastically reduce the Russian warfighting ability. I'd go so far as to say that the loss of Moskva is probably the single most painful blow the Ukrainians have inflicted on Russia so far.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The YouTuber in question was actually one of the few who had a pretty good read on Russia's initial invasion.

In fact the outcome he foresaw was very close what is playing out right now: that the Odessa coastline would be too much of a stretch, that Kyiv would be too optimistic (in fact he didn't even expect Russia to actively invade from Belarus at all), and that Russia would be eventually able to control the Donbass region after several weeks with significant casualties.

So I wouldn't be discounting his thoughts on how things might progress from here; and for what it's worth many others I follow also broadly agree that Russia will be more successful in this phase of the war. To what extent is still an open question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If the below is true it could make for a very interesting May the 9th parade....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm guessing this is a Russian Embassy somewhere.

Huge if its accurate; a lot of expensive ordinance and equipment on that ship even ignoring the morale boost for Ukraine.

I would be a bit surprised at Russia's press release if it genuinely has sunk though: Sevastopol is a massive naval installation and is clearly visible from public areas in the city... it would be particularly dumb of them to lie about it not sinking when the lack of the Moskva in Sevastopol would be fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Obviously, if you invade another country, your air force, ground force and navy are fair game.

The pompous, arrogant Kreminals will see this as an escalation though.

With the Ukrainian army seemingly able to stay a step ahead and with outside assistance massively ramped up, perhaps the next fortnight will be absolutely crucial, and indeed, decisive.

I think it all gets down to the head of the country. Zelenskyy stayed and fought inspiring others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Some ****ing balls on him expressing any opinion, after attempting to extort Zelenskyy and jeopardising their safety for political gain

• Advertisement

It did seem kinda weird Russia would claim something so easily verifiable; looks like the Moskva is still afloat:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wow, huge morale boost for Ukraine.

Presumably Russia won't be permitted a replacement vessel of the same class through the Bosphorus by Turkey from the Baltic fleet as the total tonnage of warships in the Black Sea would be exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

They only have two replacement ships of the class operational, Varyag, which is acting as the flagship of the Pacific fleet, and Marshal Ustinov, which is operating with the Northern Fleet. The incomplete fourth hull of the class is unlikely to be available anytime soon, as she's moored in Mykolaiv. Even if one were available, I doubt that Russia would be willing to commit anything larger than a frigate at the moment.

EDIT: I forgot to mention earlier, but from what it looks like, the Slava class seem to have a blind spot in their point defense system. Their CIWS systems are clustered forward of the bridge and either side of the funnel but can't fire directly aft as there's a fire control radar in the way.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I think Russia are going to lose this war in fact. All the momentum is with Ukraine and they are finally starting to receive the heavy armaments they have been begging for. There's not much evidence the Russians are up to inflicting a major military defeat on Ukraine. not even in the Donbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

That's a fairly major design flaw for a warship that cost $690 million dollars. Par for the course with the Russians at this stage. Probably cost €300m to build and $390m in kickbacks. Quarter of which went to the poisonous dwarf himself.

French media reports about the event that took place at the press conference of Marine Le Pen, a candidate in the presidential election. The woman from the audience got up and raised a cardboard heart above her head with a printout of Le Pen with Vladimir Putin. The photo was taken during a meeting in 2017 during the election campaign in France.

She was taken away immediately.

The video of the evacuation of a disruptor from the international press conference of MLP.

Even more embarrassing for Russia though is the fact it also has S300/Grumble and Osa/Gecko systems on-board and the Neptune is a subsonic cruise missile.

I suppose it's also possible Ukraine fired a full launcher at it (i.e. 4 missiles) and only 2 actually hit; or potentially the CIWS did get some hits in but the missile's carcass still managed to strike the ship and cause enough damage to start a fire and ammo cook-off.

Unfortunately we may never know; since it seems that Ukraine is taking a plausible deniability kind of approach to its attacks on Russian targets outside Ukraine's sovereign land-based territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

There was absolutely no need for this war. All these days later it still beggers belief.

A penny for mad Vlad's thoughts. He's come out of it looking like he hasn't a clue what is going on and like an idiot really.

Before he had the image of an intelligent, calculating strong man.

The damage inflicted on the Moskva sums it all up really. A disaster from the start and worsening by the day for him.

Cut your losses Vlad and take a bottle of whiskey and gun to a room in the Kremlin because there is no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It doesn't matter what he looks like to us. What matters is his popularity in Russia.

• Advertisement

I hope they do win: but as far as I'm concerned the "right" way to approach it is to assume Russia are going to have success in this phase of the war and thus ramping up Ukraine's military support is of paramount importance. It doesn't do Ukraine any good to predict or assume a Russian failure.

I would much rather Ukraine have far too many heavy weapons systems flooding the country than not enough. Also even if Russia "lose" we should do everything we can to make that "loss" hurt as much as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement