Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

300 jobs announced by Citi, 1,000 by Workday and Tik Tok hoping to grow it's Dublin workforce to 5,000. A lot of the big employers in Dublin, in the tech area, have only just started to bring people back to the office as well.

All the while there are now 465 ads for rentals in Dublin city.

It clearly doesn't add up and for some reason the penny is not dropping that our economy is going to stall and contract, unless we take extreme measures to dramatically reduce the cost of housing while at the same time bulking up supply. But for me that time has passed and the economic model has started to turn to sand in our hands and is now sifting between our fingers while we are powerless to stop it.

in my MNC, the Dublin salary weighting has just been increased (which is in addition to the annual pay increment). If other MNCs are doing the same, then we’ve a little bit to go yet in terms of chasing the rents upward. Which is of huge detriment to non MNC employees of course

on a related point, London is showing over 15,000 rentals as at today (on Rightmove, excluding flat shares). So around three times Dublin supply per capita. And London is considered difficult for renters. But £2k gets you a really nice 2 bed flat in a converted terrace in somewhere like Putney, maybe with a garden or rooftop patio….well furnished and bright. €2.5k in Dublin gets you a pretty bog standard looking apartment in an apartment block

if I wasnt established in Ireland with my own home, there is no way that I would now choose Dublin over London

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't think basic DIY should be on the secondary curriculum. People learn from their families how to change lightbulbs, don't they?

What the government are doing is raising the status of apprenticeships with the Technological Universities (more similar to how it is in Germany I believe) and Simon Harris has said the explicit aim of this new university policy is for more people to be drawn to apprenticeships.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Irish water and the ESB arn't exactly paragons of efficiency and pretty hard to deal with in general but that's also down to them having complete monopolies.

ESB especially are very much that public sector mentality of "my job is X and that's all prepared to do", so they have one guy for the application, one guy for the network, one guy for the ducting, one guy for the trenching, one guy for the metering and on and on whereas any private company would have one person to sign off on design of ALL of those elements, its great for them, if any of their overheads increase they just pass that directly onto the consumer so why be efficient?

Bus and rail guys always seem to be asking for a dig out so they ain't great at balancing the books either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

you mention buses and it reminds me of a bus route in cork city that still had a bus conductor 15 years after they introduced paying the driver on the way into the bus…He was there till he retired…..if that is a good example of a well run semi state body and value for money then I will stick with private sector building whether directly for gov under contract or in the private sector

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

If we have fit for purpose regulation that is also cheap, then as in NI, we should have little or no issues = low insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

If someones liability increases even in NI the cost of insurance goes up.

I concede to the best solution, definitely need to move away from direct buying though, especially when sitting on so much land

I see nothing wrong with the government contracting private builders to build houses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Insurance costs in this country are a whole other kettle of fish - combination of price gouging from underwriters, and price gouging from the legal sector.

When fighting a claim and winning costs more than just paying out at the outset, you know the system is screwed up. Legal costs have significant impact on the cost of almost everything, passed on mostly via insurers.

That said, even if builders had to cover liabilities in building via their own insurance, cost to deliver should still work out cheaper than if the state had to build themselves, or if the builders had to raise finance themselves and build their own. State tendering for houses on state land is the cheapest and most effective way to deliver housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Great too see our very own Philip Lane of the ECB still thinks this inflation is temporary. Seemingly a lot of European central bank governors are calling for rate hikes but according to this man its still temporary. The longer they let this develop the more Inflation will become entrenched and the harder it will be to stop it.

Raw materials shortage, supply chain issues, china in lockdown, energy supplies tightening, food shortages looming, and these jokers still saying that this is temporary. I am actually so bewildered with these chief economists and policy makers.

On another note, the Hardox manganese steel (high abrasion resistant steel) used in impact and jaw crushers for crushing stone all comes from Russia and the Ukraine, hearing reports that these main components cannot be sourced at the minute, meaning the raw aggregate for building materials may not even be able to be processed.

The prefect storm is brewing yet these jokers are too blind to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What? You've been here predicting MNCs would stop investing, yet they clearly still are. Maybe, just maybe, our economy isn't going to stall and contract. There's very little to indicate that it will...

Its not going to collapse (yet) but its not growing much more.

There is nowhere to house immigrants to work in these jobs, either they are remote or your robbing peter to pay paul, one company poaches from the other who poaches from the others.. etc

Housing is 100% limiting inward investment into the country, simply because people who immigrate here cannot find a place to live. GDP growth will slow, which will prove costly for a govt that needs GDP growth to reduce its debt burden.

See the Independent today what ever about Ireland, but Germany, France and Italy Europe's major Economies have 6-10% Inflation indexed or linked bonds out of their total bonds. All this Inflation is really not looking good for them in particular Italy which is teetering on a knife edge this last few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Strong indications that house prices are increasing in tandem with overall inflation, no sign of the price drops just yet that are being anecdotally talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

House prices aren't going to drop any time soon, new builds are increasing circa €30k around here since the last phase but still affordable to those on higher incomes with HTB and those that cant afford the uplift are being forced to bid in the 2nd hand market driving up that too.

The two main risks I see at the moment are people signing up for a new build with a "you have to pay materials inflation" clause from the developer coming back to bite them big time and people signing up to sweet low fixed rates from banks with catastrophic variable rates, what are people guessing will be the available fixed rates in 5 years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Rates won’t go up anytime soon. Ecb pushing out again. EUR dropping, hope EUR/GBP is soon back to pre-Brexit levels. Will be Funny to see all the Britain bashers then saying that a strong pound is bad for exports….

The maths don't add up with new jobs announcements (remember, these are still only announcements) versus rentals and we are literally only a few weeks out of covid restrictions. Give it a year post-covid for the dust to settle, so come spring 2023 we will start to see the economy stalling.

I don't like to mention it too much in case I jinx it as I am awaiting the final confirmation, but we are likely emigrating to Switzerland later this year and from our research so far it is turning out the same way. The rents may not be lower (though with substantially lower income taxes and materially higher salaries, it looks like it will feel like they are lower) but the supply is far greater. 2,000 rentals in and around Zurich are listed online and the population is only approximately 400,000. That's around 15 times more rentals available per capita than Dublin. With predictions that supply will become even more constrained and therefore push rents even higher here, the only way out of this mess is to leave the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

While this is happening across the developed world, we seem to have arrived at the dysfunctional state a lot quicker than other economies. While there can be some argument that a lot of this is due to wider European and global issues, we seem to be the outlier. It is difficult to get good rented accommodation across European towns and cities but by no means not impossible. Dublin, it really does appear to be nigh on impossible unless someone can come on here and tell me otherwise.

It must be a mix of issues that have now all come together and left us where it is now. Decades of not really having a serious willingness to treat renting as anything other than transient housing or just available for social housing with that stock diminished through sell offs with no real efforts to replace it, like for like.

Dublin - a rather unique example of a capital city, with predominately low rise housing stock. A population that never needed to, or even wanted to, consider apartment living as long term.

And 10 years + beyond the crash we appear to have arrived as the main exponent of this exercise by the financial property conglomerates, with our own government support, to deliver high end, in terms of cost, rented accommodation, for the benefit of the investor rather than the customer.

I'm sure there are more reasons but they seem to be the main ones to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

PROPERTY price rises show no signs of abating with prices rising again in February, pushing home ownership further away for many.

Prices are now rising at their fastest rate in seven years as a surfeit of buyers and too few properties to buy are combining to ignite rapid house-price inflation.

• Advertisement

Not everything is going up, purely anecdotal but still:

This 3bed/2bath duplex with terrace sold 616k just now. Oddly already strikes me better vfm than most houses in County Dublin at similar prices given the potential rent of 2500-3000pcm

apt 27 without terrace sold 650k 5y ago

these are worst case “identical” price level. I’d take the own door duplex over the other.

people are just all rushing into the same thing right now…

another kite flier.

bought 1075k in 2019.

at 1.4mm you can do better than an estate outside m50, even in this market.

Another observation:

have we seen Peak Dublin county rents???

3550 is pre covid level.

same agent had these going 3800-4000 late last year:

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-carnagie-drive-honeypark-dun-laoghaire-co-dublin/3642689

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Does that mean USA are also in trouble with their TIPS?

I think those countries are more concerned about QE ending and QT starting…. You don’t need to increase the ECB rate to fight inflation there are other tools which are already being used that has resulted in higher rates

A podcast that answers all the key debates on this thread?

When the market will crash, and how bad that crash will be?

Do high income earners really pay tax?

How to prevent boom bust markets?

How to increase GDP by 15%?

How to alleviate far right/left tendencies?

How to help solve most modern day economic problems?

Fascinating stuff, well worth a half hour of your time

Some more echos from 05/06 and the celtic tiger bubble. This time its different

building on flood plains? What could possibly go wrong!

For those of you that have listened to the podcast, back in 2011/2012 during peak despair from the crash, many INDEPENDENT economists strongly argued for a site value tax instead of the current property tax. Given the conditions at the time it would have been the perfect time to implement it

Ronan Lyons was amongst the most voiceferous of those. He is the economist for Daft.ie. Not only was he promoting it he went to the bother of doing the work to value every site and offered his expertise to the state to help implement it. Unfortunately the wrong option for the country was taken and as they we are where we are now.

A bit like the water meters when a German company offered to install meters for free, that would have got in the way of a company close to a political party getting the contract and yet ultra left get blamed for its failure rather than the implementation by the then gov

Hearing alot of rumours this last 2 weeks about PJ Hegartys being in bother. These lads are probably the second biggest construction company after Sisk, no smoke without fire, this high inflation and fixed pricing seems to be causing havoc in the construction sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭wassie

They have taken a big hit on a couple of large projects recently completed which is probably the source of that. These are projects that have run over several years. Covid disruptions & complex builds more at play than current inflationary & supply constraints. But they have quite a few projects that they have extremely good margins on which you won't hear about on the rumour mill.

Edit: that being said, I dont claim to have inside knowledge of the company itself. Sh!t does happen and if a player of the size of PJH went to the wall, this would have serious ramifications in the construction industry affecting a lot of projects across a number of sectors.

Advertisement