Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Story covered on live line today, women called in, Took a young Ukranian lady in who got separated from her family and arrived here

So the Ukrainian Lady is under 25 , started English lessons and hopefully will obtain work soon.

The Department of Social protection wrote to the Girl , they have now reviewed her SWA Payment arranged for her on arrival and under the eligibility criteria as she is under 25 and "Not Living independently " she is only entitled to just over €100 PW. In addition to this charming letter, the Girls Medical card has still not been processed. She was in receipt of €206 pw.

Just to be clear, if an under 25 is living at home, it is correct their rate would be less than €208 JSA, this of course applies to a normal situation, this is certainly not a normal situation and the department know it.

Now the lady was invited to appeal (little of no english).

So the Host took charge and proceeded to get the Run around.

I'm just trying to comprehend if this girl was in a Hostel, Guest house, sporting hall what would would she have done, would she even know about this review. The department have said, the decision stands. The Host is not a landlord and therfore technically the Refugee is not living independently.

Beggars belief really, all we hear about is the extraordinary efforts government departments putting into this crisis, Ministers turning up for photo OP's greeting refugees at Dublin Airport. I have to assume this lady is not the first nor last to have the SW Assistance cut in half . I'm doubting Heather Humphries will be appearing at any new photo OP'S.

Those on here thinking HAP and other state benefits are going to lashed out might now take time to reflect.

Absolute Farce.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So, was allowed move here away from danger, has free accomodation and is give €100 a week, and still not happy??

I've seen your rather narrow minded views and won't be debating this with you, but I'm seem to recall you thinking life is a bed of roses , it is not I'm afraid. Your clearly and again missing the point .

What is the point? She is not living independently. She is getting the exact same amount an irish person in that living situation would receive. You want Irish people discriminated against??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm just trying to comprehend if this girl was in a Hostel, Guest house, sporting hall what would would she have done, would she even know about this review. The department have said, the decision stands. The Host is not a landlord and therfore technically the Refugee is not living independently.

If host charges her rent then she will be living independently. She will be renting a room in a house

• Advertisement

We’re over-budget as it is. The debt - full-stop - will be unserviceable if interest rates catch up. 50’000 Ukrainian refugees isn’t going to make that much of a difference.

Are there any figures on how much this is costing a day ? I haven’t seen anything in the thread. If we’re talking 20’000 and rising it must be about a € 2’000’000 / day or thereabouts.

I've made no comment about discrimination apart of course about those in Direct provision in previous posts.

The purpose of sharing the story is really quite simple to comprehend.

There's been this extraordinary narrative banded about on this Thread about all the wonderful supports being afforded, Medical Cards, HAP will be lashed out, indeed supports will be offered to hosts etc and yet, here we are.

SWA Awarded then halved

Medical Card still not processed

Refugee (Clearly not living independently) and loosing partial benefit because of the Kindness of Host.

Communicatiing in writing, in English to a still traumatised Refugee and then suggesting they appeal.

What if the girl was in a Hostel, no fixed abode, how are the department communicating these decisions to others and you can be sure others affected.

I'll leave it at that.

Come on, you wouldn’t move out of your house for €10’000 / week ? I.e. you wouldn’t move out of your house for 1 year if someone paid you half a million euro ?

Didn’t realise we had such big ballers here on boards…

O yes of course thats such an easy remedy, I suppose you'll next suggest the girl can put in a claim for HAP 🙄

The main points of this article are:

500 people a DAY arriving

Hotel places are exhausted at this stage

half of rooms offered have been withdrawn or are uncontactable

over 90% of those now arriving will have to housed in community halls sports halls etc

Mission control, we have a crisis here.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40851032.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There's been this extraordinary narrative banded about on this Thread about all the wonderful supports being afforded, Medical Cards, HAP will be lashed out, indeed supports will be offered to hosts etc and yet, here we are.

TBF I think there is a majority consensus on the thread that government and it's agencies will fumble and fúck it up as is their default position.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And are people surprised about this? Irish public authorities would **** up planning a cup of coffee, never mind an incredibly complex undertaking like this at such short notice.

half of rooms offered have been withdrawn or are uncontactable

That makes no sense and smells fairly off.

It states 24,000 people have pledged, 12,000 are uncontactable or have removed their pledge.

Then it goes onto state.

It is estimated that just over half of all those who have pledged accommodation have received a call, with an expectation all pledges will be contacted by the end of this week.

Those maths make no sense.

Given the stories on here and from what I am hearing, they need help or it needs to be taken off them pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

She’s in the same unfair position as plenty of Irish young people find themselves in - kicked out of home and living with a friends family, they’ll be assessed for the same amount. Maybe she can get a job for less than minimum wage, like we pay our under 20’s.

All of which I agree with, just highlighting its not a bed of roses that some on here would have us believe

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

They said a few weeks ago that it would cost over €30k a year (maybe as high as 36k) for each Refugee in public accommodation (I think they were meaning hotels/B&Bs etc).

I presume that would cover rent, social security payments and the likes of health and school costs.

50,000 would be over €1.5bn per annum, 100,000 €3bn.

Those of us not seeking rent would of course reduce that. Equally to the extent people end up in sports halls/army barracks/tents the amount would be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nope, no asylum seeker can be refused entry at a port / border… local laws must adhere to EU law.

They were offered the exact same as Irish citizens, she’s getting the exact same as an Irish citizen.

Its not hard to understand, but I suppose you have to get the outrage out somewhere.

That's because they are asylum seekers? The right to seek asylum is a fundamental human right. It gives international protection. It's nothing to do with the EU 'controlling our borders '

We decide whether to grant them leave to stay or deny it. Ireland decides on its own asylum claims.

So, no, again, no one else controls out borders or immigration policies

• Advertisement

”I'm just trying to comprehend if this girl was in a Hostel, Guest house, sporting hall what would would she have done, would she even know about this review” If the proper channels had been used, the issue wouldn’t have arisen. Anyone taking refugees from anywhere other than official channels are asking for trouble. Checks have to be made on both sides, refugees and hosts.

One story generating a lot of outrage. Livelines raison d’etre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

No I wouldnt - I value my home too much. It is my families sanctuary. I wouldnt want to share it with anyone.

Im happy to volunteer to help out and to donate money but no way would I share my home with a stranger and possibly put my family at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

For 10 grand a week, I'd let Jimmy Jimmy Savile live with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The biggest issue is they Ukrainians are flying in there thousands and in a lot of other cases random Joe's and wannabe charities are bringing people in themselves but dumping them on the likes of redcross or others to deal with ,

They should be held in camps across Europe until this can be organized better , rather than flowing all over Europe ,UK and here with nothing being available for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

HAP isn't available for properties pledged through the red cross, I keep seeing it mentioned that it is available, but it seems that might be a reason some people have reconsidered their offers of a room/house.

"Regarding pledged accommodation, the Red Cross is the centre point for offers of assistance for accommodation coming in through local authorities or the public and will liaise directly with the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth on same. The Housing Assistance Payment or HAP is not available for accommodation pledged to the Irish Red Cross." Darragh O'Brien https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2022-04-05a.766&s=department+of+housing+HAP+speaker%3A211#g768.r

and:

"The Housing Support Payment (HAP) helps people with a long-term housing need pay for rented accommodation. HAP is not available for Ukrainian refugees at this time as their accommodation is currently provided by IPAS"

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/asylum_seekers_and_refugees/the_asylum_process_in_ireland/coming_to_ireland_from_ukraine.html

Where is the tangible evidence that wannabe charities are just dumping refugees after getting them in?

I know of one "mission" that went to Poland and brought back 70-100, they were all sorted with homes before they left Poland.

Roughly 20% of the refugees arriving here have accommodation sorted before they land.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Numerous reports in the media saying exactly that random Joe's going to Poland to bring Ukrainians to Ireland and when they get here they are left with the redcross or others to deal with,

Absolutely no need for random Joe's going to Poland to bring Ukrainians here for the government or redcross to deal with ,

It's essentially people trafficking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Unfortunately those arriving now and in the future are less likely to have somewhere to go . Its thought that people with friends and relatives came first and now they are coming with no now one here for them .

I met today with a group in a Dublin hotel as I needed to drop something off to a lady . It was humbling to see them gathered at a table teaching the children some crafts . These people have nothing , they arrived with small rucksacks with their papers and meds etc . I wanted to bring them all home with me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement