Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember the Kursk , they gave zero **** then ,beslan siege was another one people mean nothing to the various Russians regimes over the last 100 years, people come on and use ww2 as an excuse to why the Russians act the way they do ,look what happened to them during WW2 they had it bad ,so did the whole of Europe at the time , more Russians died at the hands of their own leaders than from foreign invaders

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I think we're lost Sergei. There's no signs to Moscow anywhere down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"I wonder how long the commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, Admiral Igor Osipov, has left to live.

Loss of VDK "Saratov" near the Berdyansk Pier, loss of the flagship of the fleet and life of the sailors, midshipmen and officers, who sank together with the cruiser

As the practice of the Russian Federation shows - tomorrow he may be shot himself"

First the Ukrainians set up an MLRS system aimed at a particular spot and then used a patrol vesssel to lure an Orc ship to chase it and enter the kill zone then let rip, and now in the their latest coup, they hid their Neptune missiles from Russian view and airstrikes since day one of the war, then at the right moment, whipped them out, used a decoy drone to distract the Moskva, fired the long hidden and husbanded Neptunes and sunk it.

Naval history books will be singing the Ukrainians praises for decades or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Ukraine are giving a masterclass in controlling the war narrative. No one believes a word the Russian say. I have absolutely no idea what losses the Ukrainian army has shipped, as they haven’t said and Russians you just can’t believe. I’d think that the average Russian soldier is not too motivated by this war. I doubt they believe they are de-nazifying Ukraine. Russia may have better results where the local populations are more native Russians but elsewhere in Ukraine they are stuffed. The most important act in the whole war to date has been the president remaining in Kiev. I don’t think that can be overestimated in importance as compared to fleeing to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭jmreire

It was also to prevent foreigners from seeing details of the Kursk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

Also reports that it had many dozen armored vehicles and tanks onboard for assault landing at Odessa. I read somewhere when I was at work earlier that a Romanian vessel saved about 70 crew. I think there is many dead form this in the hundreds I would believe.

Russia can forget about making assault by sea on Odessa the will have to do it by land and at the moment the are nowhere of achieving it.

Today the propaganda from Russia on the sinking has been laughable to say the least I was waiting to read that they would blame the sinking on Godzilla just to get a swipe at Japan.

I know ,but its not 30 years old,Neptune missiles was just put into service last year,and with new western technology and sensors as part of it.

And that makes it a even more devastating blow for Russia

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

This make me think of its defensive systems. It it possible(likely?) that some of their defensive systems were switched off or not in full working order at least. Just given the state of some of the equipment they've thrown into the conflict so far I wouldn't be surprised. No doubt maintenance money went missing somewhere. I'd be worried if I was now on any other rickety Russian vessel near Ukrainian shores. No wonder they didn't want to face off with the Irish fishermen. You can sort of understand the lie if it is for their own sailors ears. Can't be letting them know their invincibility cloaks aren't working.

My impression of the Russian societal hierarchy is that military men are down the pecking somewhat compared to other states. Having seen the dressing downs and disrespect thrown at some military men on Russian state TV they just don't seem to have the standing one would expect. Perhaps by Putin's design as the likelihood of a military led coup I would think is close to nil. The navy may rank a little higher, I'm not sure. Someone may have more input on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Its been well documented that Russia is not interested in messaging the west. They are focused on peddling their tripe domestically and throughout Africa & Asia to support their geopolitical interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Wait, what? I have serious doubts about that, to be honest. Troops sure, but I can't fathom where they would have the deck space to carry more than a handful of vehicles of any type without impeding the operational capability of the ship. If you look at this image, you'll see that every free bit of deck space is utilised for one weapons system or another, from the helicopter flight deck right aft to the twin 130mm gun at the bow.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It's crazy to think that many of us were watching the Kyiv cam in the early days watching and listening as Ukrainian troops battled Russian squads who had been embedded into the city prior to the invasion, thinking that it was only a matter of days a before zelensky may be dead or the city in Russian control.

Since the moment Zelensky was offered a quick route out, and he replied by saying 'I need weapons, not a ride ' the Ukrainians have put on a masterclass on how to use your strengths against an enemies weakness.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Longing

Any update on the Z-Kildare mechanic since? Has he changed his evil ways and joined the local Tidy Towns community? is he sucking diesel or sucking something else?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not so sure about the motivation or not of the average Russian soldier Swi, or at least I'd not be so sure of the lack of it. As you note Ukraine is indeed giving a masterclass of narative control and they have the majority of the facts to back them up, which really helps, but because of that narrative control and what we want to believe it's easy to fall into the trap of believing it all. When we see Russian people and sympathisers living in Ireland, most one assumes for many years, with access to more media opinions than their fellow countrymen can dream off, driving down our roads in convoy waving the Russian flag with Zed's included seemingly convinced of the "right" of their side, I'm not so sure at all that we can make such easy assumptions. We may hope, but...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Not on a ship like that, it isn't. The entire battery of anti-aircraft missiles is housed in vertical launch systems that go down several decks and take up quite a lot of space in the hull, the different radars require significant space for signal processing equipment etc, there are magazines for the guns, the two quintuple torpedo launchers as well as for the helicopter and so on. Granted, there is a precedent for using cruisers and the like as landing ships, the Germans did it when they invaded Norway, and had their most modern cruiser, "Blücher", blown up by Oscarsborg fortress in the process. However, in such cases, the cruisers only transported the soldiers whilst the heavy equipment was brought in by dedicated transports.

I also think you slightly misread the ITV article. Whoever wrote that article must have done so under the influence, but the ship they're referring to as being able to carry "20 tanks, 45 armoured vehicles and 400 troops" is the landing transport Orsk, which was sunk in Berdyansk harbour back in March.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

I think you're mistaken it's a cruiser ship geared towards command roles not a landing or amphibious assault vessel,

Can't see where your getting the idea it was carrying vehicles of any kind,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Has it been documented they are not interested any more and have stopped (honest question)?

If they're still "messaging" the West (esp. Europe) it would be different I imagine, less directly focussed on the war itself (no point in that).

Demoralisation and division re the sanctions/economic pain, refugee flows etc., boosting their creatures and friends who might be in with a shout at getting elected somewhere (e.g. Le Pen) and as always focussing on what's appealing to + will rile up the "independent thinker" types at political extremes they have cultivated for years.

If it sank at or near it's last position, which I have marked with a red x, then the water there is only 35-40m deep, so if it did have nukes onboard, they are going to want to get them off pronto as that's divable with just scuba, even I have been to 38m in my youth. In years to come it's going to possibly be a tourist attraction, war grave or not. Oh, that's right, it's not a war, it's a special operation.

There is an air of unreality to it, because it's got so many good twists, turns, surprises and outrageous horror, drama and tension, it's like an extremely well written book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

My German Navy friends view on the ship for any who is interested, great moral victory for sure but more ships still capable of causing damage is my reading of it. Still a great day for Ukraine though

" I think it's going to be quite expensive to replace that old soviet junk. Especially becaus €500,000,000 currently are worth 450,737,099,685,816. Rubles.

Well, I saw this unit once off Cyprus, at sea. Impressive! Unfortunately, albeit a weapon-wielding colossus that caused much misery in port cities like Odessa, due to the sheer masses of Russian ships yet to be sunk in the Black Sea, it is primarily a impressive, moral success for the Ukrainians"

Look for the where isobars are crammed together, this is more obvious being an animation

FYI the storm moved out of the area, it was rough enough, a bouy recorded 38knt gusts and peak swell of 3m at the time of the incident. Bear in mind the bouy is located in the central black sea and the ship was to the NE. So ballpark. Oh and the water temp is about 7-8c

Basically not great conditions for a search and rescue or for towing a damaged ship.

Also note this weather nerd website. https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

I used it as a proxy for whether a town had power and internet during the initial stages of the invasion. Was great to see Russia was never able to cut off power and comms in a widespread manner. (All the weather stations are live feeds).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He was going to go into battleship repair but that's now gone south! Hopefully the f****r is drawing the dole in Clane at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I would bet that Putin is in a furious rage at the loss of the Moskva and has ordered a massive retaliatory air raid on Ukraine. I wonder will we see footage of downed Russian planes in the next day or two as a result.

• Advertisement

Can anyone explain to me why the US were helping the orcs with the 'shes afloat and under her own steam and has safely reached port' BS narrative? The US were claiming their intelligence showed damage but that it was afloat and steaming back to port one minute, and Moscow was admitting it had sunk in a storm minutes later.

I don't think for a minute US intelligence was lacking, so why the very big lie?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement