Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what reason did coveney travel to kjiv

We're doing our bit in terms of refugees, which is fair enough and right, but what's with the Ukranian flags absolutely everywhere, and the "We Stand With Ukraine" campaign I'm seeing on digital advertising signs etc?

Reminds me of the Covid media blitz. Government are paying for this. What's the aim? Feels like conditioning for something coming. We're a neutral country; let's keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In all the excitement to join in and come to Rescue of poor unappreciated Simon, I was curious to see if any deflectors had noticed Simon actually went to Kyiv not kjiv, but of course that not relevant to some, it's all about deflection.

Night all 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He Also went to bucha to see mass Graves .

I'm sure it will cheer up some people seeing how the special military operation is progressing

Why are people giving out about this?

It’s a show of solidarity from around the world and a sign of strength from Ukraine that they can host ministers and leaders safely in their capital. Only a month ago it would have been deemed a crazy notion.

FCUK PUTIN. GLORY TO UKRAINE.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People are only giving out because he's a Fine Gael minister.

That's literally the reason. It's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

if it was a TD from another party you would have the exact same poster telling everyone how great it is

Thats how embarrassing the carry on is on this forum.

I would tell you my real feeling for those posters but I’m sure I would get a lengthy ban 😂

They should cop on to themselves. This isn’t a visit by a member of a political party it’s a visit by a leading minister representing the nation of Ireland.

A different election result or a different year that Russia invaded and the ministers name may be different but who they represent stays the same.

An excellent example of the issue with these threads.

The posters have no interest in the trip, the people of Ukraine or anything to do with it.

Only interested in snide little comments about the government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Speaking of satire, I remember said TD from Scrap Saturday (8 mins 20 seconds in. beef export credit guarantees, Shannon duty-free stopover and a superpower invading another country.) and who can forget - "Around the world on 80 grand" (11 minutes 40 seconds in - Vukovar, then Yugoslavia). Somethings never change in the department of fiendish affairs.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

We all hope he emphasised our neutrality as he looked at the mass graves of the dead civilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Isn't 'neutrality' on the table as a solution for Ukraine?

It has a value in many ways,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You do realise 3 European premiers were there in kyiv a month ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you think perhaps there might have been any other reason for not voluntarily sending military personnel into a warzone you are claiming you are militarily neutral towards?

Use your noggin

The Ukrainians seem disinclined to lie down, I don't know if you've noticed.

The Russians pulling their troops back to within their own borders is likely a more sustainable solution.

Yes landing the Irish army into the middle of the war could be seen as Ireland flying in military support. We have seen how the press and politicians can twist everything

I am sure if the army did fly with Simon that is the exact issue that would be fired at him now by the same people complaining about him travelling in the first place.

From what I understand the problem with the 'neutrality' solution is that the Ukrainians need a country to underwrite their security not a military alliance like NATO. None of the NATO members has stepped forward to offer it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Neutrality is the reason they have mass Graves ,

Imagine they bought the army Rangers some new weapons to Play with as Way of an apology

🚀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I just read today most people want us to stay neutral...

Whats the point the reason Russia were able to invade Ukraine was because not in NATO and they cannot intervene because of this... It may be our fishermen may be able to stop an invasion but need bigger hooks...

We are very cozy with US... we are cozy with UN and are at top table... what does all of this mean...

It means feck all in the real world ,we keep hearing Posters calling for the defense forces to be disbanded ,and in the same sentence tell us they don't want our soldiers going to invade Iraq , nobody is invading iraq or elsewhere ,but then the same people will try tell us oh we don't need an army because the Americans and British will fight on our behalfs .

We don't want our soldiers we bad mouth and put down to fight in a war but they expect others will send their son's and daughters to fight and die on their behalf defending Ireland.....

They want it every which way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

He is a globalist he wants to parade on the World Stage acting the big man. Little old Ireland and the thick Paddy's are beneath him. He's an international man.

And his brother is director of RTE News , so of course he will get fawning coverage by our ruling classes. He is one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Conspiracy theory alert.

Simon was given a rough ride by RTE on the Zappone affair, and was subject to a number of interviews where he definitively came off the worst.

If his brother is some sort of reptilian Soros puppet-master controlling the editorial line of RTE for family benefit, the political news desk producers and presenters didn't get his memo from Globalist reptile HQ.

It's not healthy to have such a large chip on your shoulder btw.

"He's an international man" - no sh*t, he's the country's highest ranking diplomat when we have a Security Council seat during the most consequential European war since Germany got lost in the Sudetenland. Would you rather him off sailing in Crookhaven or doing his job?

Thread was dead so need someone to reignite it 😂

Throw in some rubbish above Coveney's brother, classic Sinn Fein supporters. Of course I am not saying you are SF supporter.

Quick tip

Minister for Foreign Affairs has a job which means he goes outside Ireland.

Maybe would should just mothball our diplomatic service and the Minister of Foreign Affairs altogether.

We'll cut all diplomatic links, tow Ireland to the far South Indian Ocean and live with the penguins - as far away from the global reptile agenda as possible. Any important information we need conveyed to other countries can be transmitted via carrier pigeon.

Seems that is what some people would prefer.

With the amount of crying every year about the Taoiseach going to meet the President and now this.

Who need a carrier pigeon, we can have some lad stand along the sea with a light at night time, don't want to send an Irish pigeon overseas either

Message in a bottle would do the trick. But out of which department's budget will the price of the bottle come?

It seems that is what a few people.....

Embarrassing

The evidence shows Simon and FG particularly will go anywhere to look favours or a 'glow'. US, UK, Russia, Saudi Arabia etc etc doesn't matter they do it without scruples or discretion. Any other party looks sideways even at another country and they are all over it from the high moral ground.

It's fair criticism tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Stupid argument. Sweden, Finland and Switzerland are neutral, do you think Russia would be able to so easily prosecute an invasion and mass graves in those nations?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Coveney has been groomed for great things since the day he turned up at Bilderberg as an enthusiastic young apprentice to the dark lord himself , Peter Sutherland.

That was around the time Bilderberg was first acknowledged as being a real thing. ...But actually its not... No actually it was but we don't talk about it... Ahh its grand we just pretend it was always normal. ..But you're still a conspiracy theorist for mentioning it.

Sweden and Finland are joining Nato to prevent that from happening , we've been seeing mass Graves in Ukraine for over 8 years ,the only problem was the Russians were blaming the Ukrainian Nazis for committing atrocities , controling the narrative ,and as seen across boards , Twitter and elsewhere people Will deny Russia is committing crimes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It served no purpose other than photo opps for the useless and frankly brain dead Coveney. If he wasn’t so no well connected family wise there isn’t a chance he’d be in this position. He’s an example of how you can throw

money someone communications and image wise and mould them into something with a veneer of competence.

Ukraine needs real heavy weights like the US President to visit and more importantly back them further. Likes of Coveney is a cynical waste of time and energy.

My fella's cousin snuck into the Build a Burger meeting disguised as dat Tony Stark Tesla fella and he said he saw de reptiles and de reptiles were using chizzlers as pizza toppings and dat they were all talkin' about how to bring in de water charges and Phil Hogan and Hillary Clinton were goin' at it in de corner and Bill was filmin' it all on his Nokia. Swear to God. De globalist elites r pure sick. De sheeple need to wake up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you don't believe there was a pair of them in it as far as atrocities in the Donbas I've some magic beans to sell you. The UN and Red Cross reports into that conflict would disagree with your simplistic reading of it. Where they putinbots?

I firmly believe the majority of the atrocities were committed by Russian Forces against civilian under the guise of cementing their power after arriving in donbas via Moscow

You want to believe that because the Ukrainians are the "good guys" now, because of Russian aggression. And yes it was Russian aggression that inflamed that already tense area by supporting their seperatists, just as the Ukrainians supported their nationalists and both were happy to use far right groups to do it, Wagner on one side, Azoz on the other(if you also don't believe groups like Azoz aren't far right groups I've an even bigger bag of magic beans to sell you). However the conflict in that region didn't magically happen. There was already plenty of dry tinder for the Russians to light. There's a very good reason the Russians decided to support a side there and not in the north of the country. As I said the UN and Red Cross, hardly biased sources, noted atrocities on both sides since 2014. It is way too simplistic to merely dismiss it as it was all the Russians doing, or the Ukrainians for that matter, as Russia has painted it. It has strong enough parrallels with our own Troubles up North and it would have been extremely simplistic to paint that as all the IRA's fault, or all the Unionists.

@Wibbs You want to believe that because the Ukrainians are the "good guys" now, because of Russian aggression...

They have always been the good guys ,they are UKRAINIANs defending Ukraine from a foreign invader which started 8 years ago ,

Explains how a handful of Ukrainans have held Mariupol for 8 years despite repeatedly being hammered with everything the Russians have to offer ,

They are Heros

There were some prods by Russian forces since 2014, but they haven't been "repeatedly hammered" or anything like it until Russia invaded this year. Never mind you ignoring independent world class agencies who have stated that both parties were involved in kidnappings, bombings, extra judicial murders throughout that conflict. You still stick to the one sided hopelessly simplistic script and one I'd be willing to bet like most of us you've only lately picked up and read. I get the one side aspect as I also support Ukraine's right to exist and thrive as an independent state without the threat of putin's bootboys, but I'm not automatically blinded to her own issues, or actual historical facts. Ask yourself why Russia specifically formented conflict in that particular area of Ukraine and not another. Or just stick with the jingoism.