Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Barnes has to be one of the most unlikeable people on the island. What a fu#king spastic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He may well be in his prime and should beat GGG but he hasn't really set my world on fire in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ireland have a 24 strong team in Sofia, Bulgaria competing in the European Youth Championships (17/18 years of age)

boxing started today. Our lad from Ratoath Golden Gloves is bout number 4 on the 4 pm session today, Irish Time. 54 kgs boxer. Multiple Irish titlist. Anyone interested in watching see link below. His opponent is an English lad.

live link: https://youtu.be/pu8YekXPy2Q

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭squinn2912

How did they get on lad?

Not to be. Beaten by a very good English lad. Some quality boxing at this tournament. It’s only his 4th loss from circa 85 fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Always liked Spence. 👍

The great Campbell Hatton gets the job done again

CBS takes McCarthy out....delighted....

Khan, the has-been chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Bored of Benn fighting these faded fighters with zero power tbh. Get him in with a live body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭reclose

Avanesyan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Good win from Spence and great to see him actually name drop Crawford for once. Let's hope that fight finally gets made this year.

I think Benn will step up a notch or two by later this year. Needs to. Still easy enough to tag, and a decent clean hitter and I think he’s vulnerable/chinny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He was very hittable last night. May have been that he just didn't respect van Heerden's punching power. But he'll need to tidy up that defence significantly as he (eventually) steps up in class.

CBS had far too much for McCarthy last night. Wore him down well but ate a few decent shots. Never looked like he was in trouble. McCarthy was exhausted as much as anything too, i didn’t think the KO shot was that big.

Took few clean shots before falling. Very tired. Shots weren’t that heavy.

Spence looked stronger than ever. Him and Bud need to meet. A disgrace if they do not.

Gamboa is shot to bits. Bashed last night.

Jaysus. Next Saturday an all nighter. Two great fights.

Huge showdown MSG for Ireland’s greatest, Katie Taylor .

And shortly after from Las Vegas (sky sports) a big 130lbs match where Shakur and Oscar get it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Canelo vs Bivol coming up on the the 8th of may, this will be Canelos biggest test since Golovkin, up against a lad who’s big, fast, rangey and powerful. I think he has everything he needs to make it an awkward scrap so it’s gonna be an interesting fight.

PP have Bivol 3/1 at the moment. Not many huge names on his record for odds that short but Canelo hasn’t fought at light heavy since Kova either which was a bit of an odd fight.

Hrgovic is on the undercard (olympic bronze medalist at SHW in Rio), he hasn’t fought anybody of note yet really, up against undefeated olympic silver medalist Zhang Zhilei so it could be a bit of a chess match. Might be one I’ll set the alarm for.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to this Bivol fight. What are the thoughts?

I mean, surely Bivol can do better than the likes a Plant (far too passive-timid), Smith(god awful) and Saunders (quit when the going got tough).

Bivol is 4-5 inches taller and hits decent enough. I see this as closer than I originally anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Bivol is the much bigger man. While not a big puncher, He rarely seems to lose a round and yet rarely gets out of 2nd gear either. I think it goes to points for sure. I’d say it’s close to a 50/50 fight but Canelo always seems to get the nod in these situations.

I think Canelo with a narrow points win. Can’t see him knocking out Bivol. I’d love to see Canelo on his ass but I’m not sure Bivol actually has the power to really get to him. Be interesting to see how Canelo approaches it, if he takes him on like Kov then Bivol will have lots of opportunities. I think he’ll be much more box, move and try to let fitness win it. Any ideas on that?

Biggest issue for Bivol is hand speed. Canelo’ is sharper. Bivol little slow here. I think it is the key difference

Yea I’d go with that it will also be interesting to see how Canelo handles Bivol’s hits. I think Canelo can cause a lot of damage with body shots. This boy isn’t Kov though I think he wants more than a big cheque

Hopefully after Bivol beaten, Canelo targets Usyk at 201 lbs.....

Could you see Usyk going down again for it? I’d say he wants to beat Joshua again and either retire or take on Fury and then retire whatever way that goes.

Too right he'd go down....guaranteed quite a big payday for it.

I can't see Canelo moving up too much. He has not got the height or frame to carry 200 lns and still be as good. I'd say he gets to the 180s and works from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Wasn't there rumours that Usyk was down near these sorta weights during the early weeks of the invasion.

If they ever fought at 201 I could only see a clear clear Usyk win.

Advertisement