Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

We're talking about execution though not luck. Rory hit the bunker exactly how he wanted and would have had a tap in either way, Scottie didn't execute his exactly as intended, but it was meant to take the possibility of it coming back to his feet out of play and it did, so job done, going in was lucky, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think it's more the fact that Rorys landed in the perfect spot and trickled down to the hole.

Schefflers was travelling with serious pace and if it hadn't have struck the flag straight on would have been well past the hole.

Both are lucky shots to go in, but arguably Rorys was a much better executed shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Rory did very well yesterday but it’s another example of playing well without pressure when he wasn’t expected to do much, nice confidence booster, but he’s misfortune to be born in an era of everything being ridiculously over analysed, “here’s Rory getting the clubs out of the boot, and he’s dropped his 9 iron on the way to the locker room whilst eating a banana”. We have butch in the commentary box, how do you think that will affect his confidence? “Well Nick, no one has won the masters after dropping a 9 iron in the car park since Gene Sarazen in 1935” and he wasn’t eating a banana at the time” I know that’s exaggerated but there are some ridiculous statements made as to his mental state or confidence levels, pure psychological muck. And on top of it you have people like Andrew coltart who was a very limited player, acting like he won 5 majors. The perspective is missing from lots of coverage, and while I don’t think Rory is being criticised for finishing second, there are people out there that just don’t like him, and seize opportunities to spin everything he does as a negative result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

You are on the money Mystery with the car park and the 9 iron point. Far too much of that in the game now. There was a guy years ago called Dougie Donnelly, a journalist who used to interview the golfers before they went out. He would present them with times in the past where they struggled and ask them how they were feeling about facing that challenge again. It was a bit harsh imo. You could see the confidence wilt in some of the players.

I would add though not everyone who is critical of Rory at times dislikes him. He is my favourite player. But I still get frustrated by him and have been critical of some things. He will never see or hear my opinions so it really doesn’t matter. I would never send him a tweet or hassle him online or in the street or at a tournament. I don’t think anyone should either.

Watching his run yesterday was the most enjoyable part of the whole masters this year. I just wish we could see more of it. I think we will.

I agree with most of this for sure, my frustration with him is that on ability level he is elite class, yet you have him making wrong decisions in the heat of battle, and often making problems for himself, yesterday he got the absolute most he could have got from that round, and was only one shot per round away from winning, but he left a few behind on Friday, I am a casual golf fan, but one thing I will say about him is how polite and courteous he is in interviews and interacting with fans, also we are not supposed to discuss nationality as far as I know, but the criticism of Mcilroy mostly comes from southern armchair republicans who would struggle with the day to day situation in Northern Ireland, it’s still a very difficult place to navigate without offending someone, and it’s absolutely no fault of his. When he did play the Olympics he competed very well and got to the bronze medal playoff, so that should have put that issue to bed, also his on course behaviour and respect for the game is very high, I have seen him interact with rules officials and referees and discuss and accept the outcome without any bother, also 32 years old, loads of time, and plenty of ability so hopefully lots more to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Yeah, best golfer in the world on a sunday when he is out of contention, tied for lead or close to the lead he would have shot over par..

May well have done, it’s been a bad habit for quite a while, but lots of golfers do that, it’s not an easy game, Scheffler didn’t win on the PGA tour until February of this year, and Zalatoris never has, and they are only 2 examples, yesterday was very positive whatever your take on it, and as I have already said, he got the lowest possible score he could have shot, and played very well without much pressure on him, the flip side is his undoubted ability, and the possibility of more consistent all round displays

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Listening to Ciarin Cunningham being interviewed on The Last Word, interesting stats, since he won his last Major, Mcillroy is 35 over for the first rounds, 68 under for rounds excluding the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Advertisement

When was the last time that McIroy was actually in contention for a major on the back 9 of a Sunday?

Fair few Top 10 finishes but where he wasn't in contention.

Was it the 2018 Open?

If so, not far off 4 years ago.

And before that?

Lovely golf round yesterday etc but even when he was being interviewed straight after it he as much as said that he wasn't really in contention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_McIlroy#Results_timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

US Open last year he was tied for the lead on the front nine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

@eagle eye @prawnsambo Leave any chat re Nationality out of posts please, both your posts have been deleted.

Folks, read the charter

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

This thread has been relatively quiet of late. Rory finishes 2nd in the Masters and it descends into allsorts of chaos. A performance that should be celebrated to a certain extent gets derided and posters appear from nowhere with far ranging views on everything apart from what he eats for breakfast.

I like Rory since he was an amateur, I also hold the view he has underachieved so far, or certainly in recent years. I have no issue with people holding opposing views to me and I respect them for that. When Rory plays like he played on Sunday in full flow there isn't a better sight in world golf. Hopefully he will pick up the career grand slam some day (and still get criticised on here).

I guess what I'm really saying is it really worth it to come onto a thread out of nowhere and post some of the stuff that is posted (not just on this thread). Fair play to the mods for keeping it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,532 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look he made mistakes when he was young, he was very opinionated and some people don't like that. Then the delay on deciding who he'd say for in the Olympics was another thing that created detractors.

The fact he saved and increased the profile of the Irish Open never gets much attention, the fact he financially supports Provincial rugby doesn't get any media coverage and the fact he's an Ireland rugby supporter never gets any media attention.

The sad thing in this country is that some people are jealous of anyone who has great success and scramble to find a reason not to like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,585 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

He isn’t being criticised for the way he played on Sunday though, he gets criticised because he often plays well on Sundays when he is out of contention.

This discussion is not unique to this forum, over the past two weeks I have heard a number of journalists talk about that very subject.

was soon out of that contention-situation tho - by the 12th hole

if anything that proves the point that on the rare occasions that McIlroy has been in with an actual chance in a major on the back 9 since the 2014 PGA he has not been able to produce

whereas he has put in good scores on major Sundays on not a few occasions when he had no realistic chance of winning

Your point is noted and it's quite simple really, they just have to work on his thought process and he'll be winning majors again. Clearly he has the talent, as shown in Sunday.

Yes, of course he has the ability but as many others have seen, it's an exasperating trend to observe.

For McIroy himself also, I'm sure.

When you look at the fact that Harrington has 3 majors and McIlroy just 1 more and consider the respective innate talent levels of each, it's a bit of a shocker.

Harrington had zero at 32, winning his first at 35.

More interestingly is Mickelson, who also had zero at 32, won his first at 33 and now has 6. Mickelson won a PGA tour event as an amateur at age 20, so is somewhat comparable to Rory in terms of precociousness.

Still a lot of time for Rory to win many more majors. Hopefully he'll kick on and have similar career to Mickelson's from here

• Advertisement

Age is not always the best comparative variable to use

You could argue that Harrington learned how to get the best out of his more limited skillset as he got older (but before significantly limited by age).

And it has to be said, The Open is more of a crap-shoot than the other majors.

McIroy has the skillset in spades and won his majors (so far) when he was unencumbered by the baggage of age and experience

More of his career wins, both majors and non-major titles have come when he was younger. And obviously, more of the bigger titles.

So something is not working in his favour as he has gotten older, yet still in his golf prime (agewise)

As he's in the picture on the back 9 of majors less and less as he's gotten older, yet obviously has the ability (as shown by rounds like last Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭AyeGer

The last really good chance was his final round with Patrick Reed in the Masters in 2018 i think it was. His putting let him down.

Open a crap shoot?

So Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Nick Faldo, Seve Ballesteros and Tiger Woods were just lucky to win it a couple of times each?

Gary Player went seven years where he only won one major. Gene Sarazrn went nine years without winning one. Lee Trevino won his sixth ten years after his fifth.

There's no defining when somebody will win one or multiple majors. McIlroy could well win more in his thirties than he did in his twenties.

Links courses are more of a crap-shoot compared to other types of golf courses.

Yes.

Most people would accept that they are more unpredictable.

"The Open" has thrown up more one-off and more unpredictable major winners than any other major over the years.

I didn't say that McIlroy wouldn't win another major.

I said that so far age and experience hasn't worked in his favour (in fact to the contrary), despite still having the ability.

I've shown you that golfers have won after a long time not winning majors. I mentioned some of the greatest players ever.

Who was the last shock winner of the British Open. Maybe Darren Clarke in 2011? Before that was Ben Curtis in 2003.

How about the Masters? Willett 2016 and Schwartzel in 2011 maybe?

US Open? Glover 2009 and Campbell 2005?

PGA Championship? Mickelson in 2021 and Y E Yang in 2009?

Looking at the last twenty two years I don't see any more shock winners in the Open than any other major.

Todd hamilton

Paul lawrie

Two more golfers who the open once and have an absolutely dire record across the other majors they completed in

Go off and find two other major winners in the last 30 years with such a shite record in majors outside the one they won

You won't find them

Links golf courses are more unpredictable.

Fact

Again I said so far that getting older and experienced hasn't worked well for McIlroy.

Quite the opposite.

He won 4 at a young age in short order and zip since.

Nearly 8 years

Hasn't been in contention coming up to the last few holes in nearly 4 years.

Not only that, by performing well when not under the pressure that comes with contending for the title on the final day demonstrates a probable mental block in that respect

Paul Lawrie won eight European tour events, he also had another top ten in the Open, had a top 15 finish in the Masters and a top thirty finish there as well.

Todd Hamilton won the Honda classic the same year he won the Open, it was before the Open. He had a tied 15th at the Masters too and made more cuts than he missed in majors.

I've already said that Rory needs to work on his mindset.

Yes, Harrington is more of an outlier and that's why I referenced Mickelson who is a better comparison, talent wise, and was a fantastic player from his late teens, early twenties, but did not start winning majors until his 30s.

In terms of legacy and people's opinion of him Rory suffers most from the comparisons with Tiger, coming on the scene as he did directly following the most dominant period in golf probably ever.

No matter how people deny it, that leaves an impression that such mastery and dominance is normal and that the next guy up should be able to do the same. It's not and they can't.

I hope Rory wins more majors and am pretty sure he will. Either way he's a great golfer and has already had a hall of Fame career at 32.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A few golfers prospered well as Tiger tailed off from his dominance through injuries etc

Point for Rory is that - Tiger aside - he is past the time where when he played at his best he is unbeatable. The competition is different now.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Their overall Major's record shows the picture

In the overall picture they have terrible Major records which certainly highlights the unpredictable nature of "The Open"

Of course you Tom Watson who should have won it at 59 on the occasion of one of Harrington's wins.

That has not happened at the Masters

Todd Hamilton's Major Record

Paul Lawrie

Advertisement