Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Protests - Dublin 11 April

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭monseiur

I'm reading this with interest. I would ask ye all to pull back a little and look at the bigger picture. Consider the following as a small example

Population of Mexico : 130 Million

Brazil : 212 ''

Japan : 126 ''

India : 1 Billion 380 million !

China : 1 Billion 400 million !

Bangladesh : 164 million

Nigeria : 206 million

Island of Ireland : less than 7 million

The inconvenient truth is that whether Ireland doubles it's carbon emissions in the next 20 years or reduces it to zero it won't make an iota of difference to climate change. The fact is that the majority of countries listed above and 100's of others are increasing their emmisions on a daily basis and have no serious plans or strategy to change any time soon. One can only hope that the delusional Greens will extract their heads form their posteriors sooner rather than later and see the world as it is and suck it up... or perhaps they ''enjoy'' self flagellation !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So we're fupped and shouldn't bother trying to minimise the damage because other bigger countries haven't started pulling their weight. It would also mean that we can't plead with other countries because we'd be complete hypocrites.

Who should lead the way? Should the developed countries within the EU not at least try?

As for your comment about the "delusional Greens" - the reality is that we are facing a massive climate disaster globally. We are facing massive weather disruption which in turn is going to cause crop failure on a completely unprecedented scale. This isn't decades away - this is by the end of the decade. I presume that you won't be arsed reading the IPCC report but maybe read the short press release...

The report clearly states Climate Resilient Development is already challenging at current warming levels. It will become more limited if global warming exceeds 1.5°C (2.7°F). In some regions it will be impossible if global warming exceeds 2°C (3.6°F). This key finding underlines the urgency for climate action, focusing on equity and justice. Adequate funding, technology transfer, political commitment and partnership lead to more effective climate change adaptation and emissions reductions.

“The scientific evidence is unequivocal: climate change is a threat to human wellbeing and the health of the planet. Any further delay in concerted global action will miss a brief and rapidly closing window to secure a liveable future,” 

Doing my best not to sound like Kate Dibiasky, this is not a wishy washy report. This is probably the most accurate scientific estimation of where we're hurtling towards and has been written using fact based evidence from thousands of scientists. It is not tinfoil hat nonsense. So to call them delusional is somewhat reminiscent of the pot calling the kettle black!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarcasticus magnificus

Personally, I don't think the scientists are wrong and I definitely believe that the whole world will suffer in years to come due to climate change.

That said, I also believe that the Greens are delusional if they believe that anyone can actually do anything about it.

Even if every single country in the whole wide world decides to do everything suggested to combat climate change regardless of the cost, impact on people's lives and the required effort, there's not a single credible scientific model that suggests there will actually be an impact on climate change.

In the real world - not in an imagined dreamland where the whole world enlists to battle climate change (a notion/idea/hope/dream which is extremely delusional in itself), the sad truth is that as long as more than 50% of the world's population lives in 3rd world countries with 3rd world income and 3rd world options, believing that mankind can do anything about climate change is not only delusional - it also shows a complete lack of understanding of how things work in the real world, and how people live in undeveloped countries.

So yea, I completely agree with monseiur's earlier post, and I'll repeat the last of it - "One can only hope that the delusional Greens will extract their heads form their posteriors sooner rather than later and see the world as it is and suck it up..."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You started stating that "I don't think the scientists are wrong" and then go on to say how you think they're wrong about minimising the impact and how the greens are delusional for believing the scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarcasticus magnificus

The scientists are not wrong. if we could lower emissions drastically by stopping the use of fossil fuels completely, invest trillions in undeveloped countries, etc. then maybe, and it's a big maybe, we could slow down or even reverse climate change. Unfortunately all these are as realistic as achieving world peace, ending world hunger, or ending poverty. Noble goals, everyone wants to see it happen, but the chances of these actually happening (at least in the foreseeable future) is zero.

So while they are not wrong in their analysis, they (and the greens) are delusional if they think that battling climate change is feasible. especially in undeveloped countries, but also in modern western societies.

We can't even stop fighting amongst ourselves yet, but we're all somehow going to come together to stop climate change?

Yea, right. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Better invest all that money, time and effort in preparing for the results of climate change, that would be much more feasible and might actually do some good.

• Advertisement

They confirmed it, every vehicle owner protesting was fined, received penalty points and will be up in court.

Now that's what I call a good result. Good enough for them. Fair play to the Gardai for handling it so well

https://www.facebook.com/105854695208835/posts/161434199650884/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Excellent news. I never want to see anyone lose a job but really you have to be very stupid to take part in that carry on when you are close to the max penalty points and also warned all day by the Gardai

The people who "organised" this should be ashamed of themselves if people lose their jobs over this.

the group are complaining that nobody turned up which is fair enough as a lot did commit on Facebook and they had to find out the hard way that the internet (including here) is full of lazy whingebags who love complaining about everything and anyone from the comforts of their couch but too lazy to get up and do anything about it.

from my perspective, this group demanding fixed fuel prices and the arrogance of a zero negotiation stance on this made them sound like a communist South American group and therefore you couldn’t take them serious

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Cyclists aren’t the ones causing issues. Why punish them?

Why endanger VRUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Their plan was to block the streets to put pressure on the Government to reduce the price of fuel not to address any congestion issues.

Nobody was intending to punish cyclists.

Luckily for cyclists they could just cycle around them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Has to be the stupidest post on the thread though... "I hope they block the cycle lanes"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Advertisement