Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2022

Options
  • 30-03-2022 12:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of applying. Have not done this in years. Have they improved the pay?

I know last year was lucrative because of covid. However I assume it will be back to normal this year?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Obviously from the lack of replies its not lucrative at all. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Last year there was a fee for collecting the boxes before the exams started - €300. Then for anyone who had a longer stint and had to go back and do a second collection there was a further €300 payment. Then there was the daily supervision rate and expenses. I came out with about €900 for 4-5 days.

It's unlikely to be as good this year though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Actually it is. Got an email this evening from my union which was an email sent to all principals for distribution. It's €304 for the pick up of the box and another €304 for every other pick up. I think last year you had to pick up papers on a weekly basis, only that I did one week so didn't have a second pick up.

In a nutshell itt says all superintendents appointed will receive:

a fee of €121.60 for each examination day

travel and subsistence for days of exam supervision and days of collection

a minimum of five days supervision and most contracts are longer

the collection fee as outlined above

They are especially looking for examiners for the Dublin area.

I presume you mean they are looking for supervisors.

Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Landers11

I have applied also. Can you request JC, LC, or LCA centres and up until a certain date? Didn't see this on the application form. What happens if you are assigned a timetable and cant do a certain date?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to be free every day. I don't think you can pick and choose what type centre you are assigned to.

Appointment to the position of Superintendent will be regarded as a contract of service. You must be free from other commitments during the entire period of the examinations i.e. over 18 DAY PERIOD FROM the 7 th June 2022 to 28th June 2022 (this includes Sunday 12 th and 19th June). Requests for leave of absence for an occasional day, part of day or days during the examinations will not be considered.

Unless you happen to have a Relative sitting a particular exam

Thanks for the quick responses. That's a bit of a pain seeing that we have to wait and see what we get. Crazy that the notice is so late. I have a wedding a particular weekend so wouldn't be able to collect papers on that Sunday. The only day in the period that I can't do. Wonder will they understand seeing as they may be stuck for superintendents. Hopefully they can easily sort that just in case.

In my experience not a friendly bunch

• Advertisement

Will have to resign the position if they can't let me off the Sunday. Is it possible to pick up all the papers up on 1 Sunday rather than 2 Sundays?

Don't worry about it for the moment. See what you get. It might be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

In recent years, new superintendents have gotten the shorter stints. I don’t know if that will change this year with greater need, but definitely still worth applying if you are interested. Maybe add in the date you need to finish by, and then it will be up to them to decide how badly they need you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the very best you could hope for would be an early or late pickup on the Sunday. They won't be letting a batch of papers out a week early.

I don't remember seeing an option on the application that asked for a desired finish date.

You could add it on a post it. I’ve done it for the orals when there were two weeks and I wanted one week over the other.

I submitted the form electronically. Suppose my only options is to wait and see what I get or ring them and tell them that I want to finish by a specific date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

People considering these must be very low paid to not be on 50% plus tax/USC /PRSI etc AND/OR in no hurry for payment :-( Are ordinary working /middle class single teachers relying on Department pay for their mortgage ,buying food etc almost extinct now ?Certainly in my experience many have emigrated leaving the staffroom increasingly populated by young FFG voters supported by parents or spouse's higher paying job .

I'm on a 16k pension having used up my savings over the last two years not having any SEC work (I used to do more than just examine). I am hoping to do both superintending and examining this year.

When I was a young teacher we almost all did one or the other, partly for the experience, but mainly for the money. Speaking to friends who are still teaching there seems to be no great desire from young teachers in their staffrooms to do it.

• Advertisement

I can't seem to get rid of the above post. How do you delete?

Spurious

It is curious given all we hear is about high rents etc?

Perhaps depending on subjects they are all doing grinds?

Who knows.

Personally I dread doing it. It's just more kids and classrooms etc

Im mainly putting my oar in now because of possibility of extra pick up days. However i doubt that has been decided upon yet.

Teaching generally dominated by women and a lot of the time they were secondary earners. However no real data on it. So who knows.

These days no appetite for strike action no matter what gender.

This is in reply to 2011bc.

Won't let me quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

The way the SEC treat people leaves me in no doubt as to why they are struggling to recruit.

Im going to play it by ear. See what they offer. I have no issues walking away if it's not worth my while.

I am the same. Is it mid May when they let people know?

I think it could be slightly later even. Like around the 23rd. It's nuts. They guarantee you nothing but you must guarantee them to be free most of June.

Yeah right

If you are willing to do it and only available up to a certain date, I would email them and tell them now.

They can try fit you in to a centre that suits and hopefully avoid you refusing a position with very little time left (which really pisses them off).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

In fairness they always leave appointment very very late....

Advertisement