Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Each to their own and all that. I loved the 2 Ori games, in my top 10. Apparantly they did patch the Ginso tree, and while I found it initially frustrating, I was enjoying it at the end. I don't remember it being impossible hard, but I do remember people saying how hard that section was and I didn't think the same.

Elden Ring, I gave a good few hours to, no story to speak of and just more Dark Souls with an open world. Not for me. Loved the Arkham games, but no intention of doing the challenges.

I think people are too stuck on playing the hardest mode available. Games are meant to be enjoyable, and everyone gets joy from a different place. Some love the satisfaction of beating something after hundreds of tries, whereas to me that's not worth it. I'm all about the entire experience, and repeating the same thing over and over will eventually put me off, some moreso than others. But I stuck with the Ori games. A mate recently played through the first, on my profile but on PC (he got a €2k gaming laptop!). At the end, he said he died 800+ times, and checked the Xbox version and I had died ~340 times. But I collected everything, so was more powerful in general than his run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Phil Fish resurfaces for an interview with Eurogamer to mark Fez's 10th anniversary:

Nothing juicy or controversial in it, but definitely a reminder that Fez is a hell of a game. While Fish was often his own worst enemy, it's sad we never got a real follow-up to it (whether the cancelled sequel or something entirely new).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was a good read. The guy acted like a dick but did make an amazing game. Then came back to videogames and was chased away by gamergate mouthbreathers. Would love to see another game by him and it's just a pity he wasn't mature enough at the time to realise that staying away from twitter would have been very beneficial to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sticking with one large game at a time and taking my time from now on.

Don't have time to juggle/enjoy/appreciate different worlds, lore, levelling systems, controls, inventory management, characters, back story, and keep a real life house/family/job.

I knew I'd have this problem buying into GamePass (still I got it cheap, so that's ok). The tyranny of choice, first world problem, but it's a great way to experience a lot of games.

Went back to Skyrim. It's so relaxing and atmospheric and I've a ton left to do in it.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone play Road 96? Out on PC last year I think and consoles a few days ago. Looks like a mix of Telltale and life is Strange. 20 quid is a tempting price and one review said it's 10-15 hours long. Narrative driven but with procedurally generated roads.

• Advertisement

I think that's why after ten years I still play Skyrim. It's like my "happy place" or something. 😂

Exactly!

Was just thinking that when I was sitting in my house in Skyrim. Also, thinking that roaring fire on the floor of the sitting room is a fire hazard. 😊😊😊

I have done the main game and some side quests but have hardly touched the skill tree.

And I've started using the first person perspective mode.

Was even thinking mods and getting a PC ... But that's nuts 🙂

So, Skyrim until winter, then Starfield, hopefully that's good, then BOTW2 next year and Witcher 3, when they do the next gen version..

I can only manage one open world universe in my poor little brain at a time.

The Xbox has a fair amount of mods, but a PC is definitely the way to go.

This guy does walkthroughs of interesting builds, he basically taught me the mechanics of the skills and how to min/max a character.

https://youtube.com/c/MajorSlackAttack

Go to his playlist section.

This next guy shows you how to max specific skills, though he does lean into using glitches:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCEjsgOKAY2OGcd05ViW6Lug

Fudgemuppet and Camelworks are also good.

Thanks for the link.

Sticking with XBox Series X. It's good enough for me and it's super quiet!

One thing that takes me out of a game is noisy spinning fans.

But, I've enough money spent on game tech, the PC is a very slippery slope. 😊

I think mods are more trouble than they're worth, tbh. If you install more than a dozen you can expect frequent CTDs or game breaking bugs.

When people say how buggy Skyrim is I always ask how many mods they have. When they respond with 200+ mods I just 🙄

I play vanilla almost exclusively, or sometimes add a few minor QoL mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ah ye can't bate Skyrim loaded up with a glorious ENB, looking ultra realistic.

When ye finally sort out your load order and having everything running in sync, fabulous!

Then, scrap it 5 hours later and start all over again! Its a disorder! :pac:

Playing Skyrim with Easter Egg and Large Mug Of Tea Edition.

Great cure for the Sunday/Monday bank holiday night blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If you are on PC - Installing using Wabajack is the way to go. It makes a life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jylyzucyj

I also have Xbox Series X but I had never noticed that fans are noisy.

The PlayStation 3 and 4 sounded like jet planes.

Yes, SX is super quiet. I love it.

But, a PC to play Skyrim with mods etc etc will be noisy. That's why I'm sticking with a SX.

I really wish I could mod the XBox SX to run Windows. Dual boot. Save desk space , money, etc etc.

Although you can run most apps in the browser/cloud these days. Plus keyboard and mouse support available too. Must see if I can use that as some kind of PC substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That wouldn't work. MS can easily do it but they wouldn't. That edge browser on the series X is slower than a PC's. Well mine is anyway. I have slow internet but I'm pretty sure it would still be slow on a fast connection. You could get by though if you were stuck. It has YouTube, Netflix and a web browser so you would be well covered depending on what you do with a PC. But I use my PC in other ways so I wouldn't be covered with just a XSX.

Also available on PC Game Pass.

Started this today, loving it! Always enjoy your recommendations johnny_ultimate.

Great that I can play it on my Surface Pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I’ve started playing Mass Effect legendary edition from the beginning and thought I’d go renegade since I was paragon before. A couple of hours in though and I just don’t think I can do it, the dialogue options basically just make you act like a massive asshole all the time for no good reason.

It’s so long since I played the original and I remember so little that I think I may restart and just play paragon again. I’m glad game design has generally moved on from these kind of “moral” choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Even 2018's RDR2 still had a bit of this weird design going on.

Arthur's true character is probably a god-awful prick, but most players are going to play with the nice guy options.

I have to admit seeing vids of YT as Arthur being more gruff felt weird to me, I didn't know who that character was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was playing a bit of Burnout Paradise over the weekend, as I occasionally do. It's been a while since the last try, and it's remarkable what a different vision of open-world racing gameplay it is. Whereas the new Forza Horizon games have races that clearly funnel you down set tracks with clear racing lines, Burnout Paradise says 'go here whatever way you want'. Now there is an advised path, but even that's easy to miss as it often involves sharp turns down particular roads - turns easier said than done given the speed of the game. It takes a while to adjust to.

I'd love some of the other Burnout games to come out in remastered form too. I like Paradise a lot, but a proper crash mode is definitely missed. The fragility of your car is often at odds with the nature of an open-world game too - your car will be wrecked frequently due to walls, random traffic etc... Oh, and DJ Atomica & the soundtrack have aged like milk :P But there's so much good in it too - the speed, the world, the seamless collectibles and smashables - and it's a shame it's the only Burnout game easily playable on modern machines.

I've been actually looking for a good arcade racer. Gran Turismo 7 is brilliant but made me crave a bit more arcadiness. I installed Dirt 5 and quickly uninstalled it. I was thinking about NFS Heat but have up on that at launch as quickly as the devs did.

I loved the Burnout Games but i wasn't keen on the openess of Paradise, always winding an i taking the right road, i definitely prefer defined routes. Might try it again though.

Wreckfest is fun and has races as well as destruction derby.

Onrush is a lot of fun, was free on PS+ a few years ago so well worth a go if it's in your library.

Played both Wreckfest and Onrush, both fun but they didn't hold my attention for long. I find if it's too arcadey (Dirt 5), it instantly loses me, need to find a good balance. I absolutely loved Dirt Rally, not an arcade racer but damn fun all the same. I feel like Forza Horizon would be right up my street but alas, a forbidden love....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero, did you play Dirt Rally 2.0 at all? Much harder than the first one, but very rewarding.

• Advertisement

Yeah, small bit, it didn't have the magic of the first one, not sure what it was missing but definitely required more concentration than the first and the first was tough enough as it was.

Advertisement