Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Tiernster7

They also through in a few travel providers who don't seem to be doing much in Knock with minimal research

Any idea what activity is like for TUI etc for Shannon

I had a look at Joe Walsh and was staggered to see 22 packages offered from Cork , vs 4 from Shannon vs 1 from Knock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

Ryanair do a fair amount of Beach/sun destinations from Shannon so no point in package companies trying to compete. Don’t think Ryanair do as much out of Cork.

TUI have 2 weekly charters ex Shannon this summer. They have 4 ex Cork so almost the same.

They use Aer Lingus flights ex Cork and used to do the same ex Shannon when they did AGP/FAO ex Shannon back before COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Any idea what Shannon's 2021 PAX was? Cork was quite low because of COVID and the airport closure, down from 2.5m to 530k to 258k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Google: "shannon airport 2021 passengers". It's the second result.

• Advertisement

There is a piece in the Clare Echo by Eoin Neylon suggesting Shannon has not kept with times technologically and that aircraft turnaround times are poor because of this making negotiations with new airlines difficult. Does anyone know what specific technology they are short and the funding that would be required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A Ryanair turnaround is 25-30 minutes.

A transatlantic can be 3 hours+ depending on what the airline wants, technology has zero to do with it so I'd suggest this fella is talking absolute waffle.

Id suggest hes talking waffle aswell.

The airport spent millions upgrading baggage and security. The turnaround times seem on par with Cork/Dublin

Similar thought, I didn't know what he could be talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Do you need to prebook your parking for Shannon?

• Advertisement

I think you can pay for the normal long stay car park at the airport. The park4less seems to be online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Travelled through Dublin airport in the last 2 months with huge delays at security.

What an absolute kip of an airport with the rudest and most arrogant security staff in the planet.

Isn't it time to make hay at Shannon and promote it as an easy of use, stress free airport to fly from. All a pleasure to depart from there.

I think bookings for the summer will be stronger in Shannon then would otherwise have been the case where security chaos in Dublin ensued. I probably see some existing routes earning extra flights but ultimately the situation in Dublin will return to normal and status quo will be generally unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

But if SNN doesn't have the direct routes to destinations that people want to fly to, then people will continue to fly from DUB. Half the population of the country live one hours drive from DUB so even with a temporary issue with security (and that is really just at certain pinchpoint times before 9am and at weekends, it will still take less time than driving 2 or more hours to SNN.

If there is a destination served by both SNN and DUB then yes that might be a viable option to drive the extra distance to SNN.

Ya thats pretty much how I see it. Shannons existing routes will probably get a small swell in demand for those who can logically choose Shannon even though Dublin is closer.

That may mean extra flights for some of the Spanish routes particularly which already seem to be very heavily sold.

I actually flew SNN - EDI recently and there were people on the flight who'd travelled from Naas so there is an element of that already.

Nobody seems to be realising the issue here. If they move flights from Dublin to Shannon as one moronic local politician wants to happen then it will result in the same thing happening in Shannon due to a lack of staff.

Cathal Crowe is great and I agree with what he says most of the time. But i dont agree with them moving flights from Dublin to Shannon. If Airlines see increased demand from Shannon they can add extra flights. Surprised at the freq of some flights ex Shannon this summer. SNN-AGP is two weekly. I thought there would be more of a demand than that.

He mentioned Jetblue coming to Shannon before but Aer Lingus code share with them. So we are still able to able to use Jetblue services and connect through JFK & BOS.

I'd say there is capacity for some extra flights most mornings based on going through terminal regularly recently. That said it probably is only a few and that would be a pretty negligible impact for Dublin but a big one for Shannon.

Yip most of them are 2 times a week. A quick comparison of Faro prices in Shannon (3 times per week) vs Dublin (26) in July is pretty clearcut that Shannon has sold very well for this route and that a 4th weekly flight would likewise.

Bear in mind Aer Lingus services this route 21 times per week and you can see some changes are possible in medium term.

These are the gains that are there to be made and as with other years you'd be confident Ryanair will make them if scheduling allows.

Ryanair defo would add flights if they could. They have done it at Shannon before for Midterms and Xmas. In 2020 they were going to add a 4th FAO flight on a Sunday so hopefully that can be added at somestage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

The big thing for shannon and the other airports aparts outside of dublin is to try and capitalise on the existing routes in place while the mayhem in dublin continues. Increase these passenger numbers and then use it as a bargining tool for new routes from them going forward ie like Paris for example

• Advertisement

He is an idiot who hasn't a clue what he's talking about most of the time.

The thing is, if you bring in 4-5 extra Ryanair flights a day, while it seems small it would stretch Swissport beyond what they are able to offer right now which would result in delays. Look at Manchester lately for evidence of severe ground handling delays.

Fair enough. In March I flew where there was a 550 an 800 and then the next flight wasn't till 1300.

If the flights move permanently the capacity is there though?

The summer schedule started at the end of March so SNN has arrivals / departures at times throughout the day. There doesnt seem to be large gaps now like that. There are FR flights now that will cover that gap and more coming with CFU, GRO and MRS yet to resume.

Swissport are looking after UA now as well so staff are working on that between 10-12.30

From what I have been told, Swissport have found it impossible to hire new staff this summer for all positions. Not surprising considering the wages offered aswell as the hours involved.

Seen that theres positions open for a few Swissport Roles in Shannon.

Big charm offensive coming from Shannon in last week

Included in improved facilities for older people (them and Knock)

Social Media activity that Water fountains will be installed

20% off lounge and parking till year end

Increased replies and RT's on twitter

Conal Henry incoming chairman on radio saying Dublin is sucking air traffic out of the rest of country

Does anyone know when Ryanair will put there full schedule on sale from Shannon next winter. ? The only have a few routes on sale so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

ya you are right there. Also some of this as well some of the new generation dont want to work . you mean i have to work to get paid, i can just stand around all day & talk & get paid.(same for most jobs now hard to get that staff that will actually work.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭McSween

Did i dream it or is there a 20% parking discount available now?

Advertisement