Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I have no doubt there are people here under fake identities, at least if they are asylum seekers or refugees, we have fingerprints and we know where they are. If they are refused leave to stay, they can of course be deported, it's hardly the Irish authorities problem if they were born in a different country to the one they claim.

I would be far more concerned about the UK and EU citizens living here under false identities, or even their own identity, as we have no mandatory registration of domicile in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

But have the authorities a way of finding out the real country they were born in if the AS won't say and refuses to have their finger prints taken or can their finger prints be taken anyway even if they refuse to do it voluntarily?

Some of them know how to play the game and also know if they don't co operate they can't be sent back.

Yes they can take their fingerprints.

If they come here under false identity, then they can be sent back to wherever they claim to be from, sure it's their own fault if its not true.

And yes, plenty of people know how to play games, no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

What about the few who sneak in on trucks and then disappear in the middle of the night never to be seen again who vets them. Remember the incident where they came on trucks we put them in DP and next day..... poof GONE . Dont be delusional they are are a lot of un vetted people in our country like it or not.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, hundreds of thousands🙄

And yes, there are thousands of unvetted people in the country, mostly UK and EU citizens.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Nice talking to you good night have a happy easter :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@gilberto_eire do not post in this thread again - discussing multiple cases that are before the courts

There have been a series of political gestures by our politicians referring to refugees from various conflicts. A 100 here, and dozen there. They won't have been vetted because the gesture had been made, and there's no interest in refusing our politicians these gestures.

Um.. Merkel... Germany is screwed. They certainly didn't get the "best". In spite of Germanys top standard in education, they've had issues with upskilling migrants/refugees, even to the point of failing to establish German as being the primary used language. This is when having German is a requirement in most districts for foreign work visas (including EU citizens). Germany hasn't done well from their pushing of multiculturalism, and mass immigration, which shows in the reaction of the electorate over these issues, and the resurgence of neo-Nazism or far right groups who are managing to attract the moderates to support them, which didn't happen as much in the past.

That doesn't make any sense. Germany needed low-skilled labour to meet the demands of their large manufacturing base, and also their massive services industry. Its why the Turks were encouraged to come in the past, but they needed more. In reality, Germany encourages every "type" of migrant to come.

As for slave labour jobs, it's no different from here or any first world nation. As the cost of living increases and the population becomes more educated, the demands of native population means less people in low-skilled low-paid positions. The expectations for people to become doctors, programmers, engineers, etc becomes greater due to the education we receive, and the desire for children to surpass their parents in status, wealth, etc. Which is particularly true in Germany, as status remains incredibly important in certain parts of the country. The point being, that all first world nations are going through this.. the need for low-skilled labour to operate our cash-registers, the cleaners, etc. Very little of whats happened has been "slave labour" scenarios

If it had been anyone but Boris to bring this in, then I'd agree with you.. but that man is the UK Trump. Once he's gone, nobody will want to touch any of his initiatives, and he tarnishes anything he touches by association.

Ireland won't benefit in the slightest.. and it's doubtful that the UK will either. The UK's problems are already there, and settled in the country. They've left the EU but they're still bound by the UN conventions. They need to find a more effective manner of assimilating their current population. Integration has had some successes there, but for every success, there's two/three more failures. Honestly, the UK is seeing the problem of ignoring these issues for the last four-five generations.. and merely wishing it would disappear. Sure, it'll be grand. Alas.. it doesn't work that way.

Ireland is in a similar situation, except that the current political/State/Media mindset is that immigration is wonderful. We're not going to see that change until the Irish economy crumbles, people start demanding political change, and not get distracted from those demands by some shiny new problem elsewhere. Honestly, it's going to get a lot worse, before it starts to get better, and Irelands foreign born (and subsequent "new" Irish) will increase dramatically over the next decade.

But remember... when everything goes to shite.. Diversity is our strength. Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Every single religion has an ultra orthodox or similar. Every single one. People are diverse and complex. Considering we are mainly talking about Ireland you couldn't ask for a better example. You've genuinely sound nuns and priests alongside bad bastards. Then you've the Christian brothers, some absolute animals in their number, some decent.

The holy books are so vague anyone can translate them to suit themselves and they do.

Thankfully I don't see us returning, (lest we forget) to a society driven by a church, mosque, synagogue etc..

I love mixing with different cultures. Its interesting. I don't need the angelus or a hurley to keep me secure in my identity and I don't fear different cultures or religions for being different.

Every single religion has an ultra orthodox or similar. Every single one. People are diverse and complex. Considering we are mainly talking about Ireland you couldn't ask for a better example. You've genuinely sound nuns and priests alongside bad bastards. Then you've the Christian brothers, some absolute animals in their number, some decent.'']]

Islam is not a fading religion, but a growing one. It's a religion with a huge following spread throughout the world. Whereas, all the other religions are dying (in comparison to what they once were. You would need to go back 60 years in Ireland to draw any real comparisons with Islamic behaviour, because back then Christianity was part of the fabric of Irish culture). As is Islam today. You're right. There was, for Christianity, a mixed bag.. and for Islam too.. but the numbers involved and where they are, changes the situation. Western society has seen rapid change in a hundred years, with Christianity being unable to prevent such change.. Islam has been far more successful.

I love mixing with different cultures. Its interesting. I don't need the angelus or a hurley to keep me secure in my identity and I don't fear different cultures or religions for being different.

Me too. I've spent time in Islamic nations, and have invested a healthy chunk of my adult life living in cultures which are far different to my own. However, I've learned to have a healthy respect for the contradictions that exist in people/cultures, and not paint the world in simple tones. Most Chinese people are absolutely lovely, but as a nation, conditioned for centuries to believe certain perspectives, I have a pragmatic view towards what they're capable of. It's no different with Islam. I've spent a fair amount of time in Islamic countries, heard the rhetoric, and they're not that far different from China. Holding on tight to every slight, every insult, every whatever.. going back centuries. A well of bitterness over the success of the West vs what their own nations have achieved... and a lot of that is fuelled by their religion.

It would be "nice" to believe that cultural groups could interact easily and without friction.. but it's not the case. Some cultures are polar opposites to each other, and they challenge the core tenants of a culture simply by existing.

Anyway.. this isn't about your identity, or my identity. As individuals we're more than capable of defining that... especially since social conditioning by religion is mostly a thing of the past... in the West. However, the concern is when other cultures, who continue to use strong social conditioning, come to the West, and seek to extend that conditioning to others, due to their right to exist. Western society has shown itself remarkably weak to resisting the demands of foreign cultural groups, and the concern is not about you, but the next generation, and the next. Looking beyond ourselves, and considering what kind of world will exist in another 50 or 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ibrahimovic

I rarely post on boards.ie. Looks like it's very censored as my post you replied to was deleted and I was given a warning without explanation. I would have liked to reply to it as I agree with a lot of your points, but not all. But what's the point of a current affairs forum if a debate of differing opinions isn't allowed? I thought I might be able to offer a unique perspective on multiculturalism in Ireland to most people on here as I grew up in a black area in south east London, and being white, I was in the minority.

Really if you are posting on here all you are not looking for a real debate that could possibly challenge your own views, you are looking for confirmation bias to your own views.

Moderators feel free to delete my account.

I agree with you totally boards is a forum for a one sided view and anyone who questions this is chased by a mob to an eventual ban. Key board warriors in a safe uopmarket area of Dublin where diversity rarely touches them unless they have a housekeeper, nanny or a gardener. If they dont have that they occasionally see a deliveroo driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ibrahimovic

It looks that way. Immigration needs to be scrutinised, the people coming into this country have a huge impact on the future success of Ireland. You can't just magnify all the positive things immigrants do and then attempt to hide the negative things they do as it doesn't confirm to your ideology, thats dysfunctional and downright dangerous.

As an analogy imagine making a recipe that you know works fairly well but you decide to add a load of new ingredients to the pot, but instead of regularly tasting it to see if it works, you keep on pouring the new ingredients in regardless and ban anyone offering feedback at all. Until you are left with a dish that by luck either works great or doesn't work at all. We must be open to the possibility of the current aggressive and rapid levels of immigration not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

Discuss my post, not my attitude, ignorance and discrimination, i.e. the post not the poster, please.

Is there anything not true in my post?

Can you give one example of a country that is majority muslim, a democracy and civilized?

Boards, as with the internet, brings out... certain agendas, and supports certain perspectives.. that's certainly true, but it's a reflection of the general attitude of the internet and social media in general. However, I have never been banned. Not once. Never been thread banned either. Plenty of warnings. haha. loads of those, but not one single ban in 20 years. Society has become more.. intolerant of expressing ideas that are deemed offensive, and it's no different on boards. There's scope to discuss those ideas, but there's a tightrope dance involved. It is what it is, and no different anywhere else online. TBH it reminds me a lot of China in some respects.

What you and the other poster are failing to recognise is that this thread would have been shutdown ages ago, if the one-sided view was the only one going. This thread seeks to counter the "approved" view on immigration. You just have to word your posts kinda carefully, and not rise to the triggering from the more PC, woke, vague, soundbite type posters. Rising to their digs is how you get banned. Simple enough. Which is why my ignore list is almost entirely populated by idiots I've encountered on this thread, because they're not interested in honest, and fair discussion. They're interested in getting you banned.

Now, I'd encourage everyone to stay and continue to discuss these kinds of topics. Being informed is important. Being able to test ideas, and develop your arguments/logic against others is also important. Without boards, I'd find it difficult to find people to test arguments against... because, in my experience, most people with an open mind are living abroad outside of Europe or western nations.

In any case, I think you're both exaggerating. Boards has it's issues, but it's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Brucie, When the Catholic was at the height of its power here in Ireland, it never and I mean never, controlled people as Islam does. it never killed people who left it, never sent suicide bombers out to kill innocent and defenseless people. There's a long list of things that are common in Islam that the Catholic Church never did. I've lived for many years in Islamic Country's, to the mildest form of Islam ( Kosovo ) to seriously hard line Islamic Countrys, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya etc. While there, I obeyed all the rules, 100%. And that's one reason why I managed. So from first hand experience, I saw how Muslims live in their own Country's, and I saw also how and personally experienced the way non-Muslims are treated. Believe me if Muslims were treated here in Ireland as I have seem them treat non-Muslims in their own Country's, there would be uproar....the whole nine yards, racist, Islamophobia, physical and psychological assault accusations. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, and its in their DNA to expand and spread Islam until the whole world is converted to Islamic rule. It's in the Quran, and its happening. Sure you can laugh at the very idea, but there are 2 billion Muslims who do believe it, and are actively promoting it. It can be seen where there has been large Nrs of Muslims migrated into Europe. So if you like aspects of Islamic Life ( and there are very good aspects to it as well) then go and live in an hardline Islamic Country, and see it for your self first hand, then make up your mind. But personally, having experienced both, I'm all for the western way of life. Two events stand out with me. Both occurred when I was the only non-Muslim in a room full of Muslims,( who incidentally were than and still are friends of mine) on the first occasion, Erdogan had announced that the Hagia Sophia was to be restored to full Mosque status. Second was when Notre Dame burned. The cheers and clapping hit the roof.

Jordan. Very much a civilised country. Wonderful country IMHO. Plenty of problems, and a wide variety of downsides for a westerner, but overall, a great nation to live in.

As for democracy, I don't see it as being much of a wonderful distinction anymore, with people tending to ignore/dismiss the wide range of downsides (and corruption) involved. No country is perfect... but there are a few Islamic nations that do pretty well. Islamic nations are just... different. When seeking to compare Western nations with Islamic ones, we need to be honest about the shortcomings of our own societies.. otherwise there's no balance in the comparisons being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Those last few posts this morning pretty much sum up the multicultural debate within Ireland at present, which is around 20-30 years even behind the UK never mind mainland Europe.

A very good point made about there being an acceptance if you espouse approved immigration views but if you don't, you are goaded by the left wing SJWs here. It's almost as if they are constantly watching over the thread,and then jump in quick to shut down any opposing view.

• Advertisement

Jordan may be or appear civilized by comparison, but no, it's not civilized by our western standards. And I'm only interested in western standards and I will only apply the western standards when discussing the impact of this culture in the western world.

And you are right we do have our own shortcomings here in the west but we are constantly getting better. We don't need to be fighting on 2 fronts with both our shortcomings and the imported ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Ah Klaz, you only have to look at some of the link dumping in threads we’ve both been posters in. Any good news stories are welcomes along with sweeping statements about how good immigration is. Post a bad news story and it’ll be deleted and you’ll be warned never to post like that again. Boards is little more than a lefty echo chamber and propaganda board now. Even worse since the switch to Vanilla.

thanks for your informed post very interesting to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Fooks sake haven't been here in a while and the same old go tos are wheeled out to excuse the excesses of the worst religion in the world at the moment for breeding discrimination, violence, abuse and slaughter.

Yep the child abusing christian brothers are thrown out as a means to force christians or specifically catholics not to mention suicide bombings, beheadings, ingrained misogyny, abuse of homosexuals to the level of sanctioned killings, honor killings, attacking rape victims all of which are part and parcel of a lot of islamic based cultures.

Every single religion has staunch and orthodox followers, but kindly remind us which ones have members that continously slaughter and subjugate people in the name of that religion?

And invoking the crusades, the Spanish inquisition or the conquest of the Americas, the christian colonisation of Africa in the 19th century doesn't count.

Oh and neither does the christian fruit loops in Uganda or the Westboro baptists church family.

I am not allowed discuss …

haha;... I'm sorry but western standards are a fantasy. We don't meet western standards, because they're never applied to western nations. There's rarely any serious effort to look at our own corruption, political elitism, etc. Try applying western standards to France (still playing imperial games in Africa), the US (Iraq invasion, and the largest supplier of military hardware worldwide), etc.

As for constantly getting better... ahh... honestly, I'd say we're regressing. Sure, religion is dying but it is being replaced by woke/PC/nutty ideas of intolerance, social conditioning and peer/societal pressure. I'd genuinely say that we are more corrupt too, whether it's business orientated or the government. What happened to any Irish politicians for their negligence over the Banking crash? or the known links to property developers, and other businesses? Nothing. Nothing at all. Western society has become extremely good at glossing over what it doesn't want to acknowledge, while waddling along in smug superiority over other countries.

Don't get me wrong. The West is still the best opportunity for a fair and balanced society for everyone... but it's sleeping in very very dirty bedcovers.

Islam is out breeding all other religions in the world and it is not a world i care to live in. We made a big mistake allowing our religion to fall by the wayside our moral compass is seriously damaged beyond repair.

We don't meet western standards, because they're never applied to western nations

No, we do meet the western standards and in the same time we define them :) It's a bit of a circular logic, or quite a lot, but this is what it is.

Try applying western standards to France (still playing imperial games in Africa)

I will apply western standards to France in France, not in Africa. What they do there has nothing to do with this discussion.

I dunno. TBH, I've come very close to deleting my account over the last couple of months. While once I would have defended boards.. i'm not terribly inclined to do so now. There is the bias you mentioned.

All the same, the alternatives online are worse. So, for me, it's boards, or just stop posting views to the internet, and I'm not quite there yet. Almost. Likely soon. But not yet.

No, we do meet the western standards and in the same time we define them :) It's a bit of a circular logic, or quite a lot, but this is what it is.

We define them, and by that definition, excuse ourselves from being judged for failing to meet them. We most certainly do not meet our own standards. Oh, maybe Ireland does, somewhat, but the bigger players? err... you really believe they do?

I will apply western standards to France in France, not in Africa. What they do there has nothing to do with this discussion.

haha.. thank you for proving my point.

• Advertisement

We have the prerogative to be our own judges by our own standards. We don't impose our standards on others but we have every right to apply them here to anyone that chooses to live here. Maybe you took the my criticism of the muslim countries the wrong way: I don't judge them for being like they are, I'm only concerned about their ways being imported here.

Advertisement