Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Shocker: Wind industry sends out a press release every time wind blows.

As you can see demand follows a daily cyclical pattern, random energy output is not in sync with that demand and electricity can only be consumed as it is generated.

When there is no wind, the gas suppliers need to refill their tanks once the gas has been used, all you did was introduce a time delay. Wind industry press release remains silent about their dependency on gas and coal and the range of efficiency of their devices.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I know but I think these cases are smaller and getting smaller. Well I would hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

So even more attack the poster Akraisia? Really classy.

And yes you have a habit of deleting the crao you regularly throw at other posters. What's new.

I could just as easily throw the same shite about your comments being consistently "boring and repetitive" "your whining", "boring comments" "too boring to respond to"and god forbid that anyone should ask a question of your pronouncements

As for this

"A normal person would hold their hands up, apologise for spreading lies on the internet, and then we'd be able to forget it and move on."

Seriously do you read any of the shite you write? Or even reflect on your apparent constant and daily need to start arguments and fights because you don't agree with what others say?

The best thing Akrasia might be that you go argue with yourself, because No one is biting

It would be best for the rest of the posters who actually want to engage in discussion in this thread. I'll leave you at it.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

So even more attack the poster Akraisia? Really classy.

Pot, meet kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Wind is just one renewable. As I have said we need to have multiple sources. So wind, sun, tidal, biomethane, hydro etc etc

Lol.

So your suggesting Akrasia is Mr Kettle? Well I guess from your comment- that makes you Mr Pot

Another quality comment DaCor?

Yes it is over 20m, I need about 200m of penstock at 100mm, got the rest of the infrastructure sorted. Going to use a turgo design turbine with a remote controlled valve to set power level. The powerline losses will be low as I will be running it close to 200volt into a controller to charge the battery bank. You don't need a lot of flow if you have good head !

Low head/high flow solutions exist too, they only need 2 or 3 m of head. I know of several sites round here, including one which is a deserted water mill, that could provide community power to the grid. Most hydro is sited in mountains away from population centres, there is good potential in Ireland for hydro.

In your previous comment you said

If you click on the link it gives you potential year generation.

The links you included in that comment don't give "potential year generation"

So I've no idea where you found your information about the kWh output that you detailed.

And again the thing about "Head" in regard to hydro generation is that the Head on any given flow can be increased through some fairly small changes

And the cherry picked example you've provided certainly does not negate hydro electric generation. It also ignores using multiple micro hydro generation points. Unless your trying to suggest that multiple solar pvs should be compared to one just hydro generation unit?

The point being made is that the green's efforts would be best directed at promoting these viable alternatives rather than running around like headless chickens screaming about turf.

• Advertisement

The limits and viability of those technologies have already been outlined in this thread. You cannot build a cost effective and stable electrical grid with them at scale and as more of them are added piecemeal the overhead becomes much more expensive to maintain grid stability and control costs.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Sounds like the site you have has great potential. I've came across some decent research on increasing head flow which would make lower flow streams and rivers a viable option for small scale and micro hydro generation

Its crazy to think we have greens who spend inordinate amounts of time tying themselves in knots desperately trying to prove everyone else wrong, when they clearly don't have answers to more reliable alternatives to fossil fuel energy generation. What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

So why is the wholesale price for electricity cheaper on windy days?

This is why we need Storage as a grid service, so we are not wasting the wind energy that blows when demand isn't there to use it.

BESS is growing exponentially, In a few years, Battery storage will be just another normal part of the grid infrastructure, and the fossil fuel industry will find some other canard for you guys to bang on about on their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A 20m+ head is incredibly ridiculously rare in this country for any streams with any kind of volume, even something as "low" as 6 litres per sec.

Not a viable solution nationwide at all - theres a reason even the greens havent included it in their manifesto

90% of low head/high flow sites would be large rivers with delicate ecology - damming is very harmful to the ecology.

Also even with a low head high flow most "suitable" sites would only be providing power in the order of low kWs. Grid scale hydro has been exhausted in this country already, pumped storage is the only hydro scheme still worth doing.

Hang on less than half an hour ago you were engaged in a full out attack where you claimed all such comment were "too boring to respond to"? And again just now.

Why tf would any poster here engage your efforts to constantly start fights and then have to put up with you going off the deep end, with personal insults and abuse as you did last night and again today.

To date your posting history on this thread is a fcuking disgrace. I'm leaving you at it.

Batteries are not more expensive than keeping gas turbines on standby burning fuel and not generating any power to cover peaks in demand

And batteries are getting better and cheaper with every passing year, while gas is getting more expensive and less reliable

Not a viable solution nationwide at all - theres a reason even the greens havent included it in their manifesto

Well that certainly is not the concensus from documents outlining the potential of hydro electric generation that I've read ti date. Heres on example.

Small-scale hydro is a useful way of providing power to houses, workshops or villages that need an

independent supply. Considerable unexploited hydropower potential exists in Ireland at the small to micro-scale level. The electricity generated can potentially be supplied to the local community. Surplus electricity can be sold to the national grid. By investing in a small hydropower system, it is possible to reduce exposure to future fuel shortages and price increases, and help reduce air pollution.

Improvements in small turbines and generator technology mean that “micro” technology (under 100 kilowatts (kW)) hydro schemes are an attractive means of producing electricity. As a result, much focus nowadays is on small developments. The likely range is from a few hundred watts (possible for use with batteries) for domestic schemes, to a minimum of 250kW for commercial schemes. Another option is to refurbish old buildings (for example sawmills) to generate electricity.

And its not that the greens haven't put it in their manifesto- Bizarrely it looks like they haven't even considered it

Where have I backpedalled or refused to 'truthfully' answer anything?

Also, lay off going to thesaurus.com - it's painfully obvious that you barely understand half the words you're using.

I pointed out that the part of the 'proposed ban' that you labelled as stupid and idiocy, was a restatement of something that's already banned. You have so far refused to acknowledge this, instead using words incorrectly and feverishly consulting a thesaurus to try make your arguments 'sound' impressive rather than you know, relevant, rational and to the point.

Here are some links stating that the right to harvest turf from a local bog (i.e. Turbary rights) are only for the purpose of domestic fuelling and not for resale:

https://www.prai.ie/appurtenant-rights/ (PRAI are the replacement for the Land Commission and set the regulations for usage of Turbary rights)

https://www.mhc.ie/latest/insights/real-estate-update-bog-standard-what-wind-farm-developers-need-to-know-about-turbary-rights

https://walshandpartners.ie/blogs/know-your-turbary-rights-before-a-days-work-in-the-bog/

https://mcmahonsolicitors.ie/profits-a-prendre/

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/battle-of-the-bog/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-30868711.html

All of this is a simple google search away, but instead you'd rather spending your time searching for 'big words' that you clearly don't actually understand as you keep using them incorrectly.

I'll take this to mean that you cannot say why wholesale electricity prices are lower on windy days (or don't want to say because it completely refutes your position)

Post edited by Akrasia on

• Advertisement

The same dismissive, attitude that makes the GP unpopular. Many many opportunities for medium scale hydro exist, all it needs is for some resources and a government that is open minded.

As far as I can see nothing proactive has been done since 1985, since then the technology has improved tremendously, I would have though the GP would at least have a policy of refreshing this map.

https://gis.seai.ie/hydro/

I linked to the report that the Alone CEO referenced. I explained & quoted what the report actually said. I went into detail as to how the Alone CEO's claims were incorrect, and **proved how this was so**.

And your response was this?

I never asked you to believe me, I provided third party evidence complete with links/references. That you don't understand the difference is genuinely staggering.

It's weird how you keep claiming things about my comments, but you refuse to ever actually show things about my comments.

The government report is referencing the exact same paper that the Alone CEO referenced.

The paper that I linked to and that I showed made no claims about 2,800 excess deaths per year due to fuel poverty.

Here is what the paper referenced actually states:

I already linked to this report. You refused to read it. Perhaps if you sent less time on thesaurus.com, you would spend less time being consistently and provably wrong.

Batteries are not even close. There are only good for managing the imbalance between system demand and sudden drop in random energy output that might otherwise lead to a blackout (or load shedding), basically enough time to allow the diesel generator to come online or other generation source to ramp up.

Lol. So still cannot point out which part of my comment was as you bizarrely tried to claim "factually incorrect".

It remains the poster did indeed omit the bit of policy which covered 'anyone harvesting their own turf, it would be illegal to even give it to friends, family or neighbours"

So again tell me where did the poster include that detail in his comment - if as you bizarrely claim my comment is "factually incorrect"? (This was the bit you've backpeddled and refused to truthfully answer btw)

Can't answer that? I can lend you a dictionary if that will help?

And so to your other / various bizarre comments in reply to mine

Whether that particular clause existed in some part of your imagination or otherwise (it certainly wasn't in the SI you linked as "proof") is completely irrelevant to my comment.

And even if the green party bizarrely think that particular clause is a good idea, it still would be

Yet another example of the ridiculous stupidity of the highest order and something truly worthy of the idiocy of green party policies.

So the government report is wrong and you are right?

Grand so. Glad you've cleared that up for us.

I've read the report (without your links btw) and you're still wrong.

I'll go with the government report on this one. Thanks all the same.

Btw thanks for the continued and completely daft soliloquy* from your imagination regarding the use of dictionaries etc.

*If that's too big a word. My bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Half of rental properties are outside the system, working people don't get rent allowance so houses are rented for cash, as they qualify for nothing they have to accept inferior standards, Irish government have always ignored the working poor, same group of people who are likely to have poorer health outcomes as doctors are too expensive. Allowing workers to claim VAT back on heating products and a tax credit to cover retrofitting. Maybe lock in 50-60% of environment budget to making houses cheaper to heat. Current electricity prices will make it necessary that some form of solid fuel heating will be required, don't be surprised to see many older people get their electricity disconnected as they can no longer afford it, Pensioners likely paying 40% of income on electricity and heating, Country is going backwards at an alarming rate.

There is great hydro potential in Ireland as I stated earlier, its just needs resources and a knowledgeable voice, neither of which exist in government today.

I remember when the GP candidate came round canvasing, they thought there were on a winner when they saw all my solar and the batteries etc. I listened to them, but they knew nothing about RE technologies or the rural life, they just wanted a political career.

I really think the GP are a danger to this country, they are occupying a position in politics that blocks entry for a real party with real solutions. Its like the Dubai LED lamps, no mention of them, a simple proven no cost solution. just legislate and instant savings countrywide, real savings not just from power saving, but the fact that they last a lifetime. We could have been chipping away at this problem for years, but the GP are side-tracked by looking for the big win, all for bans without presenting viable alternatives.

• Advertisement

Advertisement