Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Had been done many times already on this thread.

Albania, Tunisia, Indonesia,Bangladesh, Jordan, Malaysia, Morocco, Bosnia, kosovo, Turkey and other African nations.

If your post shows ignorance and discrimination, you must expect someone to point that out, nothing personal about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭DaTown

good auld paddy

Maximum colonial guilt

Zero sugar

if Islam is growing, what difference does it make to you?

I would suggest our moral compass is much better now, then when religion ruled the country. Do you not believe it's a better country for many people now? Gay, single mothers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Yes i agree it is more inclusive of single mothers & gay people but this would have happened organcally as the younger priests joined the community. The new generation of priests are young informed educated and inclusive. With these new generation priests we could still have a catholic church in our lives and not be completely ruled by consumerism & self as we are these days. Islam growing all over the world & in ireland is bad for women & for animals.

What new generation of priests?? The country has less and less priests, very few are young. One priest has to look after many parishes, many churches only have mass once every couple of weeks. How many priests have gone through seminaries the last few years?

I have no issue if you are religious, if you take comfort from your religion, that's great. But we are not all ruled by consumerism and personally, I don't miss the Catholic church's hold on society, I suggest most people agree with me.

Whether people are religious or not, there is no need to fear religion anymore.

So why does Islam growing affect you?

• Advertisement

"Did you forget the 2 swedish girls raped & beheaded and streamed to utube in Morrocco a coupe years ago . I would say Morocco is not a civilised Islamic country on the contrary bloody dangerous https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-49029505

Pointing out crimes in countries?

you know there are crimes in every country in the world? Civilised or not?

Fairly uncivilized to behead two young tourists and stream the murder which was done with a bread knife dont really think you can't top that sort of savage behaviour in any civilized country. Tourists visit a country to enjoy themselves and contribute to the economy and thats the welcome they get. I really dont think our hospitality industry would flourish if this sort of murder was the norm here FFS.

I already answered you Islam is anti women and the vicious halal killing of animals is totally unacceptable to me. I am not religious but i am spiritual and am, I hope a decent human being. i had a catholic education but thankfully liberal parents so i had the best of both.

I worked in the food industry & in the course of my job have seen halal up close its is just horrific and has been banned in some countries. So i am not speaking as a ranting air head i am aware of islam & its encroachment on the whole world and it is to be feared it is a dark ages religion interpreting the Quran as they like to justify their misdeeds. Are you muslim?

Sorry, but that's more claptrap. The league of nations and later the UN, both sought to force our standards on to other nations. The EU and the US both do it through the Aid programmes they're involved in, or the requirements they place on trade considerations. And that's after two centuries of colonialism and imperialism where western powers were supremely above the vast majority of other nations.

As for the prerogative to be our own judges, you don't see more than a little bias at play there? Cause I certainly do.

Oh, I have no issue with what you said about Islamic nations. We share the same concerns there. I just find the hypocrisy of western standards and the application of those standards to be disgraceful. I can't abide double standards, especially ones where we lie to ourselves to hide them.

The nature of humanity is that we expect others to be better than we are. That way we can get away with murder, while pointing out the failings of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

@[Deleted User]

The nature of humanity is that we expect others to be better than we are

For the moment let's just settle with expecting them to be as good as we are, and to judge them by our standards when they choose to live among us. I don't see any hypocrisy nor double standards here.

And you're calling ME ignorant...

Current issues concerning human rights in Albania include domestic violence, isolated cases of torture, and police brutality, the general condition of prisons, human and sex trafficking and LGBT rights.

"Homosexuals in Tunisia celebrated the ouster of dictator Ben Ali, hoping it would improve their situation," noted Deutsche Welle in November 2012, "But in nearly two years, little has changed for the country's gay and lesbian community." Under Article 230 of the penal code, anal intercourse can still be punished by up to three years in prison. <...> In August 2012, a gay Italian tourist identified as Angelo was murdered in the Tunisian resort town of Hammamet by a local who stabbed him 10 times.

Simple: google human rights <country> and prepare to be amazed by your own ignorance.

No, I'm not Muslim. What does that have to do with anything?

I know plenty of Muslims and they don't all interpret the Qur'an in that way. They are also decent human beings, as am I.

Halal in Ireland involves the animals being stunned before killing. Are you vegan?

Lots of countries have human rights issues.

you should try googling Ireland and human rights also. 🙄

They do not stun the animals, have you witnessed the ritual religious slaughtering? i have unfortunately, and cant forget the image it truly disturbed me. I am not vegan which has nothing to do with islam i accept the animal die to feed us but is such cruelty necessary in the end. I do not eat halal and am very aware of the labelling but most people do as halal is cheaper and most establishments buy it. I will not eat a halal animal.

Hey Bibblypop are you just focusing on me in this thread trying to bait me? Read the other posts as for a change a lot of them are in agreement with me and my stance on multiculturism in ireland. They are not overly trusting of the governments policies or lack of.. The recent murders in Sligo has brought this to the surface .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We interact every day without friction. When the church ruled Ireland with an iron fist there were still good decent people thats how we've begun to get out from under it.

Same responses to the same scaremongering.

No excuses. Its violence and crime we have a problem with and thats what we tackle. We've come a long way from turning a blind eye to institutionalised rape and selling babies. We might even exhumed the mass baby grave we know of. I cannot see us going back to that under any faith. Thats all I'm saying. Religious people make me generally uncomfortable but that's my problem not theirs, once they stay within the law.

Some have issues, some had issues, some have human rights violations deeply ingrained in the culture and society. You can't be seriously comparing Ireland and even the most tame countries on your list.

They do indeed stun them, it is allowed for.

Also, I have seen videos of halal slaughter from other countries, I have also seen slaughter in ireland, in real life. neither are nice, nearly enough to put me off, but not quite.

• Advertisement

Are you serious? Which countries exactly do you have issues with? How many of them have you been in? And what were the issues?

Yes. All of them(from your list). It's irrelevant and you seem to dismiss even those that have lived in some of these countries anyway. Religious extremism and human rights.

I don't dismiss anyone! If you have been to all those countries you would know that They are not full of religious extremism or human rights violations.

Sure, I get that. However, look at the US. A perfect example. The bastion of democracy and personal freedom. Also the birthplace of both PC and woke culture. One of the biggest collection of religious and other nutcases, along with protection of certain groups like the nazis. The pride and joy of modern Western democracy, where the rich become the leaders, and the poor are mostly ignored or forgotten. Adult literacy is a major issue throughout many of their States along with general access to education. Segregation, racism, elitism, etc. All pointed at, but rarely discussed in the same manner, as people would about China, Russia, etc. Because the standards aren't applied equally. The expectation of other countries to be better remains high, while we ignore the shortcomings of our own nations. Same standards, applied differently. Perfect example is the illegal invasion of Iraq by the US/UK... and it was illegal, until the UN was outright ignored, the media moved on to something else, and people stopped talking about it. But the facts of the matter haven't changed, just the excuses and justifications for what happened. However, if we applied the same standards we have for other countries engaging in war, then, the US would be up for war crimes, considering the civilian deaths associated with the Shock and Awe technique. However, most posters I've encountered online will dismiss it as irrelevant. Double standards.

With all its faults, the US is the forefront of innovations and science and technology, the ME is the place where they have oil in the ground which they won't even be able to extract if there weren't for US and western technology. So no, the standards are not double at all.

We interact every day without friction. When the church ruled Ireland with an iron fist there were still good decent people thats how we've begun to get out from under it.

Who is we?

The simple truth is that population concentrations of Muslims in Ireland remain relatively low and well-spread out. However, look at countries like France, where suburbs have been taken over, the local culture replaced with Islamic norms, and the natives are pushed out, or face intimidation for not conforming. This is not a fantasy, but a real consequence of growing numbers of Muslim communities in Western nations.

You keep ignoring what has been stated by myself and others. Comparisons between Islam and Christianity (in Ireland) count for nothing, because Christianity has been dying here since before I was born. I was raised in a devout Christian family, attended religious schools, went to the seminary, and seriously considered becoming a priest when I was a teenager. However, even at that point, the grasp of the RCC on Irish society was fading quickly. Even before the various scandals, that grasp was withdrawing, and people losing interest in being controlled that way.

It is entirely different for Islam. There has been no decline in faith, or observance of standards religious/cultural norms. If anything, there has been a shift towards the lessening of "westernised" values and a return to traditional doctrine. That's been the case in virtually all Islamic nations which, at some stage, became more liberal but have since revoked those changes, and reinstated the older more constrictive forms of societal control...

Muslims come to Europe in small groups, and many of them will embrace European values, becoming more liberal in their views. That's definitely true. However, Islam is a community driven religion, with religious observance being mandatory. As community populations increase, so too does the pressure on all Muslims involved to conform to the community's standards of behaviour.. and that includes what is acceptable/unacceptable behaviour of non-Muslims. As a result, friction occurs..

I'll describe a friend of mine that I met in China, who was studying there. He's from a Muslim family, but while in China, didn't observe the normal practices. He smoked, he drank alcohol, played in the nightclubs, had quite a bit of sex, had a rake of girlfriends (handsome and charming guy)... and he was lovely about it. Couldn't fault him even slightly. Then, his studies finished, his parents wanted him to come home to get married (arranged)... and he's different now. Completely dedicated to his faith. I visited him in his parents home, and he's an entirely different person. Incredibly judgmental towards anyone who behaves even remotely like he did, and he'll deny doing anything he did previously. To you and me, he did nothing wrong, but in the eyes of his community, it would destroy his reputation, and he would be punished for it. He has done a complete U-turn. He stopped being a child and became a man. A Muslim man. I've seen the same thing play out a number of times with Muslim guys I've met abroad.., and each time, I'm quite bemused by just how much they changed, but also, how strict their views become.

There is space for Islam to co-exist in the West, but it must come from a position of strength. As long as we're not regulating the faith, and how that faith extends beyond them, we will have friction, leading to violence, racism, and likely, much much worse within a few decades, as the pushback builds.

haha.. okay, we're not going to meet anywhere in the middle on this one. I respect your perspective too much to keep chipping at this topic.

I'll leave it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭jmreire

Mirrors my own experience with Muslims, it's like a switch was thrown. One day they are as "westernised" as you and I, but then they revert back again to Islam. And when there are several gathered together they seem to be in competition for " best Muslim". Friend of mine married a Muslim lady, went through all the motions IE: Islam Wedding etc. but made it abundantly clear that he was not then or ever would be a Muslim, ( or any other religion) She accepted this, and they went on to have 2 beautiful daughter's. Then one day, completely out of the blue, when the daughters would be in their late teens -early 20's, she dropped a bombshell. Either you become a 100% practicing Muslim, or we separate. No discussion. So now my friend has parted company from his wife, and while he has good relationships with his daughters, they remain primarily with their Mother. So the switch was thrown, no prior discussion or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Just reading about this case on thejournal just now, and was reminded of this post. It’ll be interesting to see the outcome of however the child in this case is categorised according to Tom’s definitions below:

LEGALLY IRISH: Anyone with Irish citizenship

ETHNICALLY IRISH: Anyone who was born to Irish parents, and when I say Irish, I mean people who's blood has come from this soil and has came from this soil for hundreds of years

MIXED IRISH: People with one Irish parent, and one non Irish parent

https://www.thejournal.ie/supreme-court-passport-appeal-case-5739565-Apr2022/

This is why citizenship as recognised by law, matters a great deal more than any ‘blood from the soil’ nonsense.

• Advertisement

It's the sign of the ideologically conditioned mind. It could be religion or something else that has been placed there. You can see the same with Chinese people, who may or may not have lived in Western nations, but love the aspects of western culture that appeal to them, such as the ideas of individualism, personal freedoms, etc. However, mention Tibet, Taiwan, or a few other choice topics, and the switch is thrown. Straight away into robotic mode, saying exactly the same viewpoints, the same logic, and will often become somewhat violent/aggressive when met with opposition over these views.

I think westerners have forgotten what it's like to live in a heavily conditioned world. Sure, conditioning continues to this day through education, and the media, but it's a far more subtle form, due to the influence of marketing and behavioural psychology. Whereas when you look at the cultures which are heavily conditioned (Asian cultures usually, including Indian/Pakistani) the influence is far more obvious and heavy handed. If it's not religious in nature, it's social/political. We had the RCC, the M.East had Islam, Africa had both, and Asia had intentional social programming over the centuries. S.Korea was a bit of an eye opener to see the layers of social programming. I expected it from Japan and China (mostly from experience) but Korea surprised me by how many layers of programming exist.

In any case, the problem with Islam, is that at it's core... it's the opposite of western values... and it's not going to tolerate competition over the long-term.

Advertisement