Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

You assuse wrong. It's championship. Tg4 don't have live championship. Sky has the rights with rte.

They have:

April 16th

LSHC Wexford v Galway

April 23rd

LSHC Wexford v Dublin

MSHC Limerick v Waterford

May 14th

LSHC Dublin v Kilkenny

May 21st

LSHC Kilkenny v Wexford OR LSHC Galway v Dublin

(hopefully the last weekend we might have some split screen action like the last round of the league with tg4.)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I actually forgot about Sky. TG4 should have second dibs in fairness.

I believe the TV and Radio rights are up for renewal at the end of the year.

Maybe Virgin will come back in over sky? More games might go onto streaming platforms?

Would be great if Newstalk radio got some games rights back again from Rte who had a monopoly over those rights for the last t few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think the fact newstalk give more priority to rugby and soccer than RTE might be held against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sky give more priority to soccer and rugby and it was never held against them. Money is the only consideration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Have a throw at the team for the weekend: A tin of USA assorted biscuits to the winner.

E Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, T Walsh

M Carey, P Deegan, D Blanchfield

C Kenny A Murphy

W Walsh, P Walsh, E Cody

A Mullen, M Keoghan, B Ryan

TJ to come on with 20 minutes to go.

E Murphy

M Butler, H Lawlor, C Delaney

M Carey, P Deegan, D Blanchfield

C Kenny C Buckley

W Walsh, P Walsh, T Phelan

E Cody,M Keoghan, B Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think that is the likely team.

ButI believe that team 8-15 will be savaged sooner or later, 4 of the forwards are not great strikers of the ball (I might be a bit unkind to Phelan but the two matches I saw of him, I thought his striking wasn't great).I believe there is very little between at least 6 teams (us included). So, I think the most efficient and accurate team of that 6 may win the AI

For all the forensic analysis conducted, the fundamental requirement of accurate striking seems to be overlooked. Limerick probbaly cannot much longer get away with their profligacy. Barely hitting 50% from shots is a blight on them and their claim to greatness. Limerick (because of their power) might however win another AI hitting 16-20 wides in matches, but no way in hell can we.

Look at 3 almost certain starting forwards (WW, Keoghan and Billy Ryan). I don’t have the stats but it looks obvious to me that after busy and productive first halves, all 3 taper off in 2nd half and the wides start to mount. They simply aren’t reliable shooters, especially late on (as mental and physical tiredness demands almost perfect technique).

Donnelly however is a good shooter, so is Maher and so (quite obviously) is R Hogan. For me, if that team starts, Cody must have a plan to replace at least 2 if not 3 of the forwards a lot earlier (probably from HT to 50th min) to ensure if game tightens up, we not only have the freshness but also have the best shooting options on the field. Having the most accurate shooters on the field is especially vital when chances start to dry up and you must make every shot count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Well, going on past, and indeed very recent, form I wouldn't bank on Cody using the subs early and using all five. Had he done so against Cork we'd have won.

• Advertisement

Yeah. That was my thinking. A Murphy hasn't been deadly accurate with his and while he works hard phelan has shown savage pace before pulling the hamstring

I 100% agree I think we have only averaged 3 subs per game in the league and and almost never in the backs. The nature of this round Robin format with games coming thick and fast we should be making 5 subs per game and in that at least 3 by that 45 to 55 minute window... our backs have been run over a number of times over the last few years with fresh legs coming on early in the second half. Cork last year and this year in the league and Waterford the previous year are prime examples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The team hasn't been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

KK v Westmeath

E Murphy

M Butler H Lawlor T Walsh

M Carey P Deegan D Blanchfield

C Kenny A Mullen

W Walsh P Walsh E Cody

B Ryan M Keoghan A Murphy

Subs

D Brennan

C Delaney

D Mullen

D Corcoran

R Reid

J Maher

C Browne

C Buckley

TJ Reid

J Donnelly

S Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I think Adrian Mullen is a wonderful talent but on all recent form club and county, his selction is not merited, if I was Donnelly or Maher I'd be seriously pissed.

If the number 4 shirt is open this was a great match to try Darren Mullen, we know what Tommy Walsh can do at this stage so why not try Darren and revert to Walsh or Delaney for the bigger challenges if he doesnt work out.

The team smacks of conservatism with dogged triers favoured nearly everywhere. We wont just dog out an AI outwilling opponents, the last two years have proven that. It's at best a 45 minute success story that then gets reeled in by the better teams.

I dont believe that forward line has near enough potency to win an AI

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All the best to our minors seniors over the weekend.

Not really the best comparison, Sky's main market is the UK and the Irish audience is a small enough portion of their market, Off the Ball and RTE Radio obviously mainly an Irish market with generally the same auidence, as I said wouldn't be surprised Off the Ball probably have it held against them they treat GAA as number 3 after soccer and rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Could it not be said the reason they have it at No. 3 is because they don't have any rights.

Plus with the football and hurling shows that OTB produce I think they do plenty on GAA

Otb did a great Job on live gaa matches and building up to the games with great mid week interviews...

Rte threw toys out of the pram at the last renewal and insisted on having a monopoly over radio rights.

A terrible decision by the gaa to go along with it

RTE get away with murder when it comes to GAA coverage, no midweek championship preview/review television programme since 2015 or 16, only reason they had live games during the league was Eir Sport went south. Thank god for TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Realistically we should be winning this handy enough and with the games coming thick and fast I was hoping we would see Shane Walsh and Darren get a run.Deegan looks like our 6 now.Hopefully the break after the Waterford match will help adrian mullen but his form has being worrying.Wheres fogarty he hasn't being seen. I don't know if Richie is injured or what but its like cody hasn't forgiven him since the 19 final.James bergin who was near starting last year isn't making the subs now. I thought Tom phelan would of being back from hamstring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭kk.man

Mullen won't play at mf Cody is changing tatics there...they seem to be playing 3 there at times I think he is trying to null the running/short passing game... it's a gamble but less than a 10 point win we are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

i agree re: Adrian Mullen he is off form but Cody is probably thinking back to the goal he got to bring the all Ireland semi v cork to ET in 2021 and knows he has the magic and is possibly using the Westmeath and Laois games to see can he get his form and mojo back for the bigger games to come.

We need an in-form Adrian Mullen on our team.

Leinster will be a tough enough campaign to crack in the later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Tactic seems straight forward, Murphy comes out as third midfielder and Kilkenny keep the middle packed, creates space inside and players like Mullen can score from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You're correct.

The tactic is fairly simple but requires fresh legs 10-15 mins into 2md half. Lets hope this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

There can't have been many championship matches in the last 30 years when one of DJ, Henry or TJ didn't start? 1998 maybe? 2011? Who is leader of the attack now?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Is the senior match tomorrow evening available on any live stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I don't think so.. the streaming only came in when crowds numbers were restricted. Now that it's full capacity it's back to tv only, go in person or listen to the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

Minors lost to Dublin by a point. Meaning all 3 teams finish the Round Robin with a win and a defeat each. Points difference (if my maths are correct) mean Kilkenny and Dublin go straight into a SF while Wexford have a QF to play

Advertisement