Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzards, kites & their amazing return

• 08-04-2022 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭

I've posted about my observations before, but recently we have a pair of buzzards that have taken residence close to our house. (close to the Bull Island in Dublin) So, along with a multitude of owls, kestrels, sparrowhawks, peregrines and (we think) a merlin we're delighted with the new additions.

They reside close to St. Annes park. I only see them on sunny days where they catch thermals and gain height at a shocking speed, one minute they're 50 metres, look away and then they're almost invisible.

There seems to be plenty of food from roadkill, insects, worm etc... Does anyone think they'd be able to catch a grey squirrel? I witnessed one with a dead squirrel, but could have been a road victim. The greys are fairly beefy and strong, so maybe they are picking off the young, weak, or elderly ones.

On another note, a motorway trip from Wexford, through Wicklow, up to Armagh recently I witnessed a huge number of kites and buzzards. Something that simply would not be witnessed when I was a kid and indiscriminate poisoning was allowed. It's so good to see these big raptors.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Buzzards that far into the city is great to see. We had seen one over the botanic gardens/st Mary's school on the opposite bank of the tolka a couple of years ago. They're often to be seen over the 'waste' ground near Ikea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do you think they'd catch & kill a grey squirrel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have heard mention of it, but i don't know if it's common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I see them in the Phoenix Park now regularly. Hopefully there's a pair nesting in there

That's actually the second place close to the city I've seen them a few years ago, and they're brave, we managed to observe one very closely with prey. Kinsealy seems to have a very healthy population. I posted about them before but the mods deleted my post for fear of morons poisoning them. I think that fear is gone though, I know one farmer in North County Dublin that's delighted to have them around.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I don't think there's such a thing as a specific place to warn people away from, so to speak (unless you mean a nest site); they're general now. I saw five soaring together over Dublin airport a few years ago, and right in the flight path too. Maybe they were playing chicken.

Post edited by magicbastarder on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭emo72

to think they were extinct in ireland when i was growing up. now they are so common. amazing. a breeding pair came in on the wind from wales? and off they went?

Is that what happened? A natural, organic and truly welcome reintroduction. I remember seeing them in various European airports as a kid and being amazed. Now I see them out of my bedroom window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Do you mean Buzzards? They spread southwards naturally from Rathlin Island. They had recolonised Rathlin in the 1930s.

• Advertisement

According to Dick Warner you're both right!

"The first one was from Scotland into Northern Ireland, and these birds spread first into Donegal and then into Louth, Monaghan and Cavan. The second wave came from Wales into Co Wicklow and then started to spread out until it met up with the first wave and the speed of colonisation picked up"

Probably explains the healthy hybrid vigour population from Northern and Eastern influences.

I had a feeling I read somewhere that they blew in from Wales. Anyway. There's no border patrol for birds, so I'll never be able to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Just saw 3 over my house south Galway. Gliding together and so peaceful looking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Buzzards are now a regular summer sight overhead here in Kilpedder, Wicklow. I have seen up to four at a time. The cry is very distinctive and is an invitation to look up and see some expert group formation gliding.

One took a smaller bird off the garden lawn last year - brutal, but natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

See them every single day around Wexford. Multiple amounts of them.

Driving up to Dublin will see them in quite big numbers and see Red Kites on the motorway too, usually around the Wicklow Town exit.

Drove down to Cork at the weekend and saw many more Buzzards and one lone Red Kite as well. Numbers must be healthy at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Thought they were doing well last year, this year birds of prey, especially kestrels, buzzards and kites are present in incredible numbers here in North Cork.

Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tis remarkable alright - i remember back in the 80's when the only BOP's you would spot would be the odd Kestrel or Sparrowhawk a few times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We regularly get buzzards circling above our house on the outskirts of Bray near the N11, they're great to watch climbing up on the thermals. Sometimes see 3 or 4 at a time which I assume is two parents with their young. I drove out to the Ballinaclash area on Sunday, and saw 5 kites just on the drive there. I'm regularly seeing them outside of the original release area too up in the more upland areas of Wicklow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Was recently on the train from Dublin to Wexford and passed by a golf club, counted probably 20-25 buzzards circling in the space of about two minutes.

i had the pleasure of seeing a red kite from about 15m away yesterday, maybe only 5m off the ground, while out cycling in north county dublin. fantastic sight; and a second one today too.

i was chatting last year to a guy who lives in oldtown, who was cycling south from oldtown on a nice clear morning, and a red kite burst out of the ditch to the left of and below him, and he reckons he came within a couple of metres of hitting it. scared the living daylights out of him.

• Advertisement

Is a kite bigger than a buzzard?

See buzzards just north of Galway, have noticed them for the past few years since I moved back to the countryside.

Cycling has to be one of the best ways to observe nature. Fast, silent approach, no glass windows, you can hear, see, smell and sense everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My wife says horseriding is good too - the other animal probably sees the horse and not the human I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Yep, these are heady days for bird watchers. I was a keen ornithologist as a boy in the 80's when there was SFA around. Now see Kestrels practically every day and Sparrowhawks occasionally. Have caught glimpses of what I presume was a Buzzard a few times on my own land.

Moving away from BOP for a moment, I never saw a goldfinch in my entire life until about 3 years ago. Now I see goldfinches every single day, in fact one particular day last year there was a 'swarm' of about 20 goldfinches in my back garden all at the same time... Just incredible.

I also occasionally see what I think is a little egret out on the bogs.

My location is north county Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I am in Galway City and I have around 30 Goldfinches at the feeders every day along with a few Bluetits not forgetting the Robin, Sparrows seem to be thriving here and of course the Pigeons are driving me nuts the way they take over there must be some way to get rid of them .

Advertisement