Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The accidental landlord has long gone. With the price increase in houses anyone in negative equity that couldn't sell no longer have that issue. The change in laws to suit the tenant in most scenarios has also driven any of these small time landlords/ladies. It is too much hassle to do it small time.

Hence why you have such a shortage of rentals as loads sold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I like the Italian's plan, pay 110% of the cost of home upgrades that improve the energy efficiency of their housing stock

Italy’s superbonus 110% scheme prompts surge of green home renovations

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/13/italys-superbonus-110-scheme-prompts-surge-of-green-home-renovations

More than 122,000 applications approved, and €21bn so far spent, under scheme offering tax credit of up to 110% on costs

Of course, if the Irish government did this, the usual suspects will be on here complaining about this too.

In terms of whether climate change is solvable? We're already committed to at least 2 c of warming no matter what we do, we're very likely to hit 3c of warming within a few decades. This is going to be very bad. But very bad, is still better than what will happen if we don't do what needs to be done

Currently the planet is warming by 1/10th of a degree every 5 years. We'll be at 1.5c by 2035

The hotter it gets, and the longer it takes for us to slow this down, the more chances there are that positive feedbacks will be triggered that can cause abrupt climate change and the planet flipping to a new equilibrium that is not compatible with human civilisation as we currently know it.

Your sums are not very good. 300-400 per tonne, which was claimed by BrokenAngel as the price they most recently paid for coal, is not half of the 460 a tonne that Brokenangel linked to.

I've seen lots of quotes for a tonne of smokeless coal for 450 a tonne. With the recent 10% price increases, fits pretty well with Brokenangel's price range of 300-400 a tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Well thats good. Tbh I would ban smokey coal way before I'd start banning turf here. Lots more smokey coal burned in the country . But not until there are viable alternatives for people who need it in the short to medium term.

I think someone earlier suggested low carbon alternatives being made available first. I think this is a good idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mis-information. It has been well pointed out on this thread that the dearest component of the generation determines the overall price.

i.e. 100% renewable + 0% fossil fuel = €0.00 potentially;

99.9% renewable + 0.01% fossil fuel = €0.27c per kW/h;

. (any mix in between)

0.01% renewable + 99.9% fossil fuel = €0.27c per kW/h.

That is the "deal" the Green movement have locked us in to. Slow clap for the greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you know what the E.U. marginal pricing is then you know somebody was telling porkies.

My moneys on the CEO of an umbrella group of private electricity generating companies You know those that are doing so well out of this that the E.U., who put the directive in place allowing them to do so, are now saying countries should impose windfall taxes on them.

It`s not exactly the first time either RTE or the media in Ireland have been shown to just read an utterance and go with it without doing their research.

The wholesale energy market is based on half hour snapshots. If, as happens many nights, there is more wind generation than there is electricity demand, then the price for electricity does not include any gas element at all.

Having a gas peaker plant burning gas but not actually providing any power to the grid does not count towards the price of electricity for that period.

And as batteries take over from peaker and frequency regulation grid services, then gas will have a lower and lower impact on the price of electricity to the grid.

Ireland needs to install more wind generation capacity so that we move from being able to provide baseload at night from renewables, to being able to also provide peak loads during the daytime when wind (and solar) is abundant.

Over 30% more expensive, and the price for Kosy Glo which the poster linked too is not for smokeless coal.

Very poor form from somebody that while extolling the good carbon taxes will do here and telling us all we need to stop using fossils fuels to clean up the atmosphere, is avoiding paying them by buying coal in Northern Ireland and not even smokeless coal at that don`t you think ?

Still, as I said, typical green attitude of do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Consumer demand curves are fairly predictable and expected surges in demand are met by pumped storage schemes like Turlough hill, which relies on good weather and a fall off in electricity demand overnight to be economically viable. The Silvermines pumped storage proposal being talked about has not made it to planning permission stage. The battery storage facilities in Ireland are short term balancing operations needed because more random generations is being added to the grid.

The 8.5 megawatt hour (MWh) battery storage facility will be capable of providing a rapid delivery of electricity into the power grid in order to balance fluctuations resulting from the growing proportion of electricity generated by intermittent renewables.

source

There is nothing viable to provide inter-seasonal storage (due to drop in solar over Winter) or intra-seasonal storage (lulls in wind generation), even daily storage requirements (When solar output drops every day) cannot be met with battery technology, aside from which it can only support a limited number of charge cycles and has significant conversion losses. Even if you could get hydrogen through water electrolysis or fuel-cell installations running at scale there is no place to store the hydrogen gas.

There are no enough sites for pumped storage in Ireland, batteries are likely to remain too expensive and are used to manage hourly fluctuations and both processing cost and availability of storage sites would rule out storage using hydrogen gas.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Eamon will be more than happy to go out on a high and Leo & Co, will be more than happy to keep his green taxes.

• Advertisement

I already shared a link which showed wind I’d cheaper than nuclear and that’s why the US are moving away from nuclear

I just linked the website as a guide. But please continue with the faux outrage

🥱

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

The reality is that the real problems the electorate have are the housing crisis, access to health care, and the cost of living, which the current government have done f**k all to resolve. Climate change is a problem they can't solve and only excacerbates the housing crisis and the cost of living through increased taxation and building regulation compliance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Very poor form from somebody that while extolling the good carbon taxes will do here and telling us all we need to stop using fossils fuels to clean up the atmosphere, is avoiding paying them by buying coal in Northern Ireland and not even smokeless coal at that don`t you think ?

You're correct that is there a big difference between what people in N. Ireland and people in the South pay for fuels. With the people here getting shafted more than our Northern brethern.

As the law stands, you can drive into the North and buy a few bags for your own use without paying tax. However if you order coal from Northern Ireland, carbon tax is due, and the Revenue should be notified. Not saying that happens but anyway.

On top of that, VAT on coal is 5% in the North as opposed to 13.5% in the South, all of which means coal is cheaper in the North.

Looking online, a 40kg bag of smoky coal will cost €15 at a depot on the Northern side of the border, whereas in the south the same bag will cost anything from €20 to €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thankfully I was out for the day and only got a chance to catch up - what an amount of spin by the green movement on this thread.

Firstly @brokenangel going north to buy coal to dodge the Eamon Ryan sponsored obscene carbon taxes is one of the spectacular howlers for me!

You then have the green movement say that we need to abandon the car and all take public transport. Is that a subtle admission that EVs are not a solution? Surely the realise that the vast majority of Ireland is car-dependent - so why not turn the car fleet electric then? My hunch is that they just hate the car full stop and the only cars that should be on the road in their eyes are the high end ones driven by their uber-wealthy donors or taxis.

Finally - this:

The wholesale energy market is based on half hour snapshots. If, as happens many nights, there is more wind generation than there is electricity demand, then the price for electricity does not include any gas element at all.

Wrong - wind tends to blow lower at night as there is limited to no convection, especially at our latitudes, and especially in the seasons we don't consider "summer".

Having a gas peaker plant burning gas but not actually providing any power to the grid does not count towards the price of electricity for that period.

You honestly think a private Gas burning station is going to burn gas and not get paid... really?

And as batteries take over from peaker and frequency regulation grid services, then gas will have a lower and lower impact on the price of electricity to the grid.

Not happening now, perhaps in some fantasy future - but not now. But do you know what is now, and is very real - carbon taxes.

Ireland needs to install more wind generation capacity so that we move from being able to provide baseload at night from renewables, to being able to also provide peak loads during the daytime when wind (and solar) is abundant.

Except when the wind doesn't sufficiently blow - we're in a big spot of bother, and this happens alot.

You linked the website as a back-up to your point that a tonne of, the "correct ovoids" I believe you termed it, could be purchased for around 350 euro. That link showed Kosy Glo being 465 euro and it is not smokeless.

No faux outrage from me, just showing up your faux outrage as nothing other than hypocrisy.

You as supposedly a major fan of carbon taxes here, is buying their coal in Northern Ireland thus avoiding paying those taxes, and for someone who has so much to say on our responsibilities of cleaning up the atmosphere, is not even buying the "correct ovoids", smokeless coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

Unfortunately methinks you are correct. Just like the "temporary" USC, the Green taxes are here to stay, and long after the Greens are gone from government, it will be ring-fenced by FG/FF in order to pay for our ever-expanding enormous social-welfare debt.

From a professional background that included a large sustainability aspect, I can only see Irish Green Party policies driving the Irish economy/society back into the Stone Age. In my experiences of Green initiatives in other parts of the globe, I saw the focus on environmental and sustainable programmes, which a good percentage of the populace could stand behind. But in Ireland, the Green Party have morphed into a idealogy where punitive measures is the modus operandi in order to further their social initiatives. With currently only 4% of the vote of the whole country, a very small number of lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum.

The turf sale ban makes a lot of sense to a lot of people

But I do, and I pointed out to you yet you still go after me

Why?

Can you please explain why you can’t have a discussion instead you attack someone?

Normal poster would accept when I clarified I buy the smokeless and just move on yet you continue to post?

Why????

This question came up in a Solar PV group I am in last night about heating....more or less the request was for a storage heater to store excess as batteries are very expensive

The following was found and a few looking into it, might do myself....thought it might be useful for you instead of instance heat which goes once the sun goes down.....

https://www.kvasolar.es/en/storage-heaters/78-eco15-plus-8-and-14-h-ecombi-plus-digital-smart-storage-heater-elnur-gabarron.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Colm byrne and cara guatenburg, both green party cronies and are as bad as John Gibbons and there ilk with their scaremongering bullshit. Were all going to die die i tell you...

Yes but when kids are getting more and more breathing issues like we have now you would think some people would start to cop on, seemingly not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Any turf ban has to include imported briquettes, if they aren't included and there's even a tenuous link between the importers and the Green party people will be calling for a tribunal.Windfarm companies must be ripping that they are going to have to site any future projects on arable farmland and pay through the nose for the site, Same for any pylons ,can't interfere with bogland.

What`s with the "poor me I`m being harassed" posts ?

I do not see how pointing out posting hypocrisy could be viewed as harassment, and no you did not clarify that you bought smokeless.

You claimed to have bought a tonne of coal for around 350 euro. When questioned on this you posted a link for Kosy Glo coal, (which clearly states it is not smokeless) from a business in Northern Ireland where converted to euros it would cost 465 euro per tonne. Add in the carbon tax you would avoid paying and that is 506 euro for a tonne of coal that is not even smokeless. That`s a long way off your now claim of around 350 euro for a tonne of smokeless.

I have no problem with anyone saving a few euro on a like for like basis, but I just see it as abject hypocrisy for someone who has been praising carbon taxes and is opposed to them being paused buying their coal in Northern Ireland to avoid paying them as well as making so much noise over a clean atmosphere extolling the price of none smokeless coal.

An article from 2020 as to how the Irish government view the practice as well as there being doubts on some of that Northern Ireland coal actually being smokeless.

Air quality in Ireland, despite all Ryan`s muttering, looks pretty good to me from that report. I expect it will get even better if people just stop using none smokeless coal.

Go pay your carbon taxes like you have been preaching everyone else should be doing gladly, and if you want to improve air quality burn smokeless rather than none smokeless coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

Has any one seen the funny memes about the green agendas ?

I love seeking knowledge, I used to read focus magazine.We should be a few island's at this stage. And most town's, cities etc should be underwater and living closer to Athlone.

They're all telling lies and they're taking three zero's off their doomsday scenario...

Plenty of funny meme flying around about every political party. All created and shared by the same political party, Sinn Fein, so once you realise that it's not really funny anymore.

When you think that SF creating them and can't even figure out what carbon tax is and if they want it, don't want it, pause it or just don't know the meme really should be about them

• Advertisement

"Where have I backpedalled or refused to 'truthfully' answer anything?"

You keep reposting the same content, while still refusing to show how and where I backpedalled or refused to truthfully answer anything. Are you pathologically incapable of making a rational argument?

Advertisement