Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Actually the western world is suffering (most acutely in Ukraine) because of Putin and the likes of his fevered admirer Le Pen.

It's the remedial cohort who fall for the "them versus us" schtick that those cretins peddle to the chronically gullible.

Again, like I stated earlier it's a mental health crisis that should be treated as such and needs to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

And pretending to support fascists just to sound edgy. Not worth anyone's time, thankfully they're in a minority and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How did you work that out?. Biden, who by some accounts on here, is totally ineffectutual given his advanced dementia, is somehow to blame for the state of the world despite him only being in the job 18 months?

When you say woke and leftist, do you mean those that challenge the conservatism that has been in rule for the vast majority of time? Bush Jr was not woke or leftist, and yet he presidended over a bungled war, surely that is far worse than a bungled withdrawal. Political appointments have always been on some bias, up until recently it was mainly being male and white, but Trump pushed that further by you having to pledge alliance to him.

What period do you think is 'normal' so this return to normality? Seems a bit like the MAGA movement, when people want things to go back to the way they were, just they can't say when or what they would be prepared to do without.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Also - Stock Market decline???

Where might that be happening ?

Not seeing a decline there really

This chart goes back to 21st April 2017 , a few months after Trump took office ,

Then , the S&P was at 2348 a year later in 2018 it stood at 2670 which is about a 13% increase.

Now let's look at the same "1st year" for Biden - April to April 2021 to 2022

Last April 15th it was at 4185 , today it's at 4392 which is about a 5% increase.

The S&P also hit an all-time record high in late December - But that's not that special tbh , it pretty much hits an all time high every year.

There have only been 2 Occasions in history when the S&P closed a calendar year lower than it opened.

That would be from 2000 to 2003 (The Dot Com Bust) and again in 2008 (The Banking/Housing Crash) - In both cases it lost well over half it's value.

Would you like to guess which party was in power for both of those??

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Great post. Unfortunately some won't discuss it in good faith and instead just peddle opinions that they've borrowed from another website and not have the balls to actually back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Biden really needs to stop offering his 'personal opinions' during press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Everything you are saying is true but I think the talking point is nonsense in the first place. The role of government is not to strengthen the stock market but the economy. Also I believe the stock market has performed slightly better during times of political inertia, where parties share houses and noone has a clear majority, the markets perform better with no political influence and total predictability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭threeball

Ah yes, another Russian puppet. Just what the world needs at the time like this. Agitators, fascists, terrorists we want them all in power to improve our lot. Its always worked so well in the past. Can't think why we ever went away from it.

• Advertisement

Everything you are saying is true 

Citations?

I take it all back, I don't see any trend really. We shouldn't measure governments in stock market returns.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/political-gridlock-is-supposed-to-be-good-for-stocks-the-data-dont-support-that-11604847910

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why are you linking to a November 2020 article? It is April 2022.

Well if the data is compiled from 1938, an extra 1.5 years won't make much difference.

There are much bigger macro forces that affect the markets than who is president.

What data are you referring to exactly (article is paywalled)? I thought we were discussing Joe Biden's economy, right now, not the economy as it stood after election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Are you stuck on repeat?

This is from last year.

I am discussing whether political parties can be attributed to stock market returns in response to a post which highlighted the performance of the sp500 during a period that included bidens presidency. Naturally that point is moot if there is no indicator that the control of presidency, house and by a specific party leads to higher stock market returns.

Furthermore the performance of the economy and the performance of the stock market are different things.

In case it needs to be said, I would have the same opinion for both parties, I just think that stock market returns are not a measure of the administration.

Stock market value != returns, right?

Other indicators like GDP have been used previously by the RNC to attack Democrat administrations. Namely, POTUS Obama's annual GDP never got to 3.0+ GDP %. This was a huge deal for Republicans, this was a talking point I heard a dozen times a day in 2016. Then Trump's admin, couldn't do it either. There wasn't a single talking point from these goons after Trump's inauguration about the GDP, unless he had a decent quarter. Trump had high quarters, Obama had high quarters, neither of them beat a 3.0% year. Biden, while we can argue whether or not it's something his administration influenced with "radical liberal spending" etc. (Trump also tried to use Stimulus and Tax Breaks to stimulate the GDP) but 2021 had a GDP of 5.7%. Nearly double what either the past 2 presidents pulled off even with active determination to get that number higher.

Sure value is a fundamental factor of a stock that you can calculate in your own propietry way using cash flows and assets and cost of capital and market risk for a particular stock. Returns are just that, dividends and capital gains based on stock price.

Yeah I hated it when trump would drone on about stock market performance, I wish all politicians would stop trying to indicate their positive influence on the markets.

Employment numbers, output, workforce participation %, purchasing price per Capita, wealth inequality, resilience to shock/resilient supply chains, scalable infrastructure are all good measures of an economy but stock price can soar or decline irrespective of these good economic indicators.

• Advertisement

Yeah I hated it when trump would drone on about stock market performance, I wish all politicians would stop trying to indicate their positive influence on the markets.

I agree. It's how some MAGA supporters need to listen, though, they haven't made this same connection, everyone anyway. Essentially Trump was doing the modern day equivalent of taking credit for when it rained, and blaming his Devils for when it didn't. There are sure volatile events that a POTUS can be involved with that affect the market, but the modern stock market day to day is the product of math and algorithms and millisecond trade calculus.

All that aside the biggest concern is within a year, GOP could have the influence to give huge stimulus to the oil industry in the form of any number of handouts, subsidies, tax breaks or even direct funds. What would they do with that? They same thing as every other company in this modern economy: say thanks very much, perform stock buybacks, layoff employees, increase automation, increase exec bonuses etc. and achieve minimal growth to remain competitive. It happened with the airlines not that long ago, it will happen again with oil, Republicans are obsessed with it, and the majority of their public and dark money originates from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,361 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lol. 6 thanks.

For absolute tripe.

No coherent, fact based criticism.

A usual drive-by fart of a post.

0/10.

Texas AG accidentally says the quiet part out loud: Abbot has figured out how to disrupt the US economy to achieve a political agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

just on the stocks, this is a huge issue with all members of us government and it'll take a brave president to put a stop to it (thats not a dig at biden BTW).

was reading that in 2021 only 3 hedge funds did better than the S&P500, out of about 3.5k hedge funds. 35 members of congress did better, republican's winning out by about a 60:40% over democrats. thats just my eye test with the top 20 winners.

it must be de facto insider trading, but no one seems to care or have the will to change it. i guess, even if politically divided on most issues, they are all on the same side when it comes to making money.

clearly talking the drugs trade on the southern border 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Fox will tell its viewers it's Biden's fault that millions of dollars of fruit & veg is rotting at the Texas border. And they'll believe it like the gullible fools they are.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It absolutely is insider trading.

They've all been at it for ever, but the most recent example was David Perdue the GOP Senator from Georgia, who walked out of a private Covid briefing and proceeded to initiate a whole bunch of trades that all magically worked in his favour as the government announced various shut-downs and help programs related to exactly what was discussed in the Covid briefing.

I'm a nobody and I'm not allowed trade in my employers stock during the quiet period each quarter, simply because I have access to some sales volume reporting.

The idea that these guys ,who are setting policy and getting advance views of all kinds of information are allowed to trade away unimpeded is an utter nonsense.

Republicans tried to play dirty politics again and it failed..

Iowa Republicans tried to challenge Finkenauers signatures to register for the primary. As I understand it she got the precise amount of signatures - so they challenged 3, trying to disqualify her with their finger already on the state legal system. Grassley even boasted, that he gets 3 times as many signatures as required, as though he anticipates employing this tactic to unseat primary challengers who are not as politically conniving as career incumbents. Finkenauer is as of now the presumed challenger to Grassley's seat this November (but of course, polls are all bs).

And reportedly, Greg Abbot has given up on his fully transparent ploy to jeopardize US Trade with Mexico for PR stunting.

as an aside, do you think democrats ever play dirty?

re abbot....what a gobshite! send up the busses to DC or delaware, no problem. silly fucker

• Advertisement

as an aside, do you think democrats ever play dirty?

Of course, but nothing to report of late.

Advertisement