Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

It really is time to call this **** bluff. "Unpredictable consequences". Saying nuke without saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the Russian tv commentator actually carefully following the party line ?

So starting to sow the reasons for difficulties in the " special operation" , Russia is running short of trained troops- they may need to do a general mobilization - why would you need to do that in a small scale "special operation"

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭divillybit

Last picture of the Moskva under tow before she got promoted to submarine class!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm on 'treat with caution' mode for him. He's good for prompting interest in subjects.

This. He does make mistakes though considering his output I'm not surprised and to be fair to him they're few enough. He tends to favour the British view(understandably) over others too. He's fantastic if someone wants a bitesized chunk with a cup of tea of the subject matter* and seems to have piqued a wider interest out there because of that. He's a great gateway drug as it were. 😁

*your list is the definitive one for further viewing, including yours which is my fave tank one(arse kissing mode to active), though the drive by viewers may find some too "dry". EG Military Aviation History is bloody great though he can take twenty minutes to get to a one minute point, or an hour to get to a ten minute one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well going by one Ukrainian military chap on youtube(Operator Starsky) a Russian drone that they found and did an "unboxing" video on, it turns out the "sophisticated" Russian drone contained an over the counter Japanese Canon SLR camera with its focus and shutter speed hotglued in place, a Japanese petrol engine and very basic Western(and Honda) electronics. Which is fine, if effective, cheap and reliable is very good. However the Russian government claimed such drones cost something like a hundred grand a pop. Somebody filled their pockets there because if there was five grand's worth of parts and assembly in it I'm a monkey's uncle. Kinda sums up Russia in many ways*.

EDIT I see Ronivek posted the above vid.

*The US military spending can be similarly WTF. The old joke about the 15 dollar switch that became a 100 dollar switch in an F-16, though far more people get a slice of the pie and at least the switch will be US made. Which kinda sums up America. Or did. Nowadays the switch might be Chinese...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Quite recently i saw something that suggested he was threatening to flood Europe with refugees, which could be due to nuclear terrorism but might be something else.

It could be argued he already has. Here in Ireland we're already at a difficult stage of how we're going to cope with the rufugees we've welcomed and we're a "rich" nation and will hopefully get it sorted soon, but Poland has welcomed in a far greater number, more than all the other EU nations combined and even with EU support it won't be nearly so easy for them. Nations like Romania, Hungary and Moldova will find it harder again.

Maybe putin sees this as a handy side effect that could destablise nations and the EU, but I see it as the opposite and a positive that is uniting them for the most part, though we need to spread that load more equally among EU partners. To be fair the EU is already a fair way down that road already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

He is actually quite correct however; what he's saying is that they're fighting Ukraine on the ground but Ukraine has NATO/US intelligence and some degree of leadership on their side as well as equipment which has radically amplified their combat power.

If Ukraine was completely alone in this, whilst still not the walk in the park Russia clearly expected, the war would be going significantly worse for them.

He knows Russia is not equal to NATO, even Putin knows and has acknowledged this publicly, but what he's basically saying is Ukraine v Russia shouldn't even be a question, but the material support supplied to Ukraine basically has almost Russia's numerical superiority in weapons.

What he also knows and is blatantly implying, but can't say on TV, is that the Russia army is an outdated shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would agree that Putin is far more reviled than North Korea which people internationally generally are almost quite indifferent towards. They understand it's a totalitarian dictatorship but there's so little known about the country in general people just don't think about it.

However the only reason North Korea hasn't invaded anyone is because the country is a third-world nightmare society devoid of even basic infrastructure and their army is about 6 decades out of date and falling apart.

The only people they could invade would be China or South Korea. Either would annihilate them in about 24 hours. Imagine the Gulf War again, but the Iraqi army had even worse equipment, logistics and leadership.

It's hard to see where North Korea will end up. China are content enough to leave them there as are, and in terms of reunification in principle, South Korea don't want to touch that with a barge-pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Unless of course this could be cyber warfare insinuations. I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet to be honest. Maybe it’s my lack of IT understanding and overly western Movie villian expectations on Putin but doesnt the baddy usually pick out a token victim to show the world what will happen to the rest if they dont comply?

So in this case, the Russians could choose a country that couldn’t actually respond (like ireland) and attack certain infrastructures ala Die hard 4. It’s nuts even thinking about it but wasn’t the HSE hacked just after covid ? You think of how reliant we are on technology , honestly I don’t know what a “nuclear technology bomb” might look like but I presume it’s possible.

Surely Russia can’t keep threatening everybody and doing nothing? (Unless of course their threats are all hot air and just for national consumption).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Catchup -

Apparently there are 2 injuries for every death in war.

America is supplying Reaper drones.

The ship might have been sunk by a British missile but downplayed as a Ukrainian one for political reasons.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

What happens for Russia if they can't get anything out of this war? If they fail to conquer the Donbass, Mariupol and land corridor to Crimea? Will Putin be taken out by his own or will the Russian Federation simply split and fall apart? This will be some disaster for him if the walks away with no secured objectives on Ukraine. This is looking quite possible at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Where did you see that the yanks are supplying Reapers? That's a game changer there (depending on the numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

Hi folks, anyone know any good telegram channels for following what's going on in Ukraine ? I tried NEXTA but obviously it's all in Ukrainian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Yes, and Russia's delay in repositioning will be fatal as it has allowed Ukraine to stock up on very capable gear.

The danger now is that Putin is facing certain defeat IN Ukraine but "provocative" measures may need to be taken to dissuade him from continuing long range bombing and shelling thereafter.

I'm not nearly so sure that putin is facing certain defeat or that he walks away with no secured objectives. Yes he screwed up and was repelled in his push fo Kyiv(which was an unfathomly daft move out of the box anyway), but as things stand he's taken much of the Donbass, a goodly chunk of the Crimea corridor and save for a miracle Mariupol will likely fall soon enough. Ukrainians have played an absolute blinder in defence, helped by Russia's inadequacies and logistical screwups, but attack is a very different matter. The areas putin is now concentrating on are on the border of Russia and her rail network so logistics are much less in play. There would be more civilian support for the Russians in such areas and what was there already has been concentrated by Ukrainian nationalists leaving since this war started. The ground is more open and more suitable to tank and artillery movements and the Ukrainians are vastly outnumbered as far as tank and artillery goes. Ditto for aircraft. Hit and run jabs and drone strikes by infantry can certainly cause problems but Russia has the sheer numbers.

All I have seen is that there are dscussions about Reaper drones. If you you have seen anything definete, please share, as those could completely change the future course of the war.

It's a stretch to suggest the missiles were Harpoons, when the UK only recently mentioned supplying them and it's known Ukraine have had Neptunes since before the conflict started. Ukraine knew the Neptunes would be a game changer from the outset in terms of dealing with a sea assault on Odessa and consciously hid them thoroughly to stop them being taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah I dont get it.

Russia is moving everything it can to create this massive force for a new offensive. But it's taking ages to do.

Surely the Ukrainians are using this time to perfect the weapons it needs to stop this new offensive.

Every day this offensive is delayed is a bonus for the Ukrainians?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes thats exactly what has started. The sinking of the moskova was a spin they couldn't sell and the May 9th parade is just around the corner. So the pivot has started. We were doing well in our special operation against the nazis but the NATO and the American devil's became involved. Now we are in a fight against equals and we've taken a few losses. We will increase our war effort.

...BTW your conscription letter is in the post

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Medvedchuk - the ould fella who was arrested there a few days ago and who is good buddies with the Putster, well his missus is giving out that he was being given a few slaps by the Ukrainians.

He's a man after me own heart.

Nexta is Belarussian. Good luck finding a Telegram channel that's truly neutral. Stuff coming from Russia is all state media. This is a telgram channel that seems incident and military hardware focused, run by an Israeli: https://t.me/no_itsmyturn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Now you mention it, ordinary Russians are also finding out what's going in Ukraine via telegram

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Ukrainians aren't going to give up on the Donbas region just like that. At the very minimum they'll continue a guerrilla war, at maximum they will take it & Crimea back and drive Russia back to pre 2014 boundaries. Surely a lot depends on what level of ongoing support they can get from the west. If they start getting the message to accept what they have and that military supports will slowly be withdrawn, won't have much choice. But if they continue to receive support, they will certainly have the motivation and means to inflict very heavy losses on the invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There was discussions with General Atomics about supplying predator and repeaters drones during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And can't see conscription being much of a solution for Russian military. Maybe long term, but even as it is and notwithstanding nationalistic fervour, the young lads will surely perceive that there's nothing in this for them apart from hardship. Already well reported that many of those on military exercises pre invasion, weren't too convinced when they found themselves on the front lines. Even with state control of media, it's not like 1940. Putin apart from misjudging Ukraine and international reaction, clearly also is of that generation that does not understand the grasp of a younger generation used to modern information technology. A dinosaur in more ways than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Raptors were on the latest inventory list during the week on cnn.

Now the inventory list has multiple drone types with undisclosed numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Biden said they were providing 'advanced drones' and I saw a web page somewhere recently said they were Reapers. Hasn't been decided yet though.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement