Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby, Do we need it?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah definitely. If we ignore all the ways it's important, then it's completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Ortho surgeons need fresh suppy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You know absolutely nobody who took up rugby in their late 20's or early 30's and played to a reasonable level so stop talking shít.

I'm friends with a guy who was on a Leinster development contract and has played in Japan with Damien de Allende (Google him). This guy is playing AIL and having seen him play , he doesn't stand out at all and I'd say he's "a reasonable level".

Nobody started playing rugby in their late 20's and are playing at a reasonable level, unless reasonable is a clubs 4th team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Rugby is hell a lot more entertaining compared to Football with pansies feigning injury every 5 minutes wasting everyone's time with their Z-list acting skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Different people like different things, it's not hard to understand. If a person doesn't like something change the channel or do something else, no need for people to whinge about something because they dislike it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I'm amazed this thread is still going. If you like Rugby great. If you don't like it, that's fine too. Just change channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Seriously, stop talking absolute rubbish about something you clearly know nothing about.

Like I've said repeatedly, go down to your local club and try and tackle someone, see how well you do

Otherwise, just grow up a bit and try and get rid of that massive chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I suspect there is a classist and possibly anti-British aspect to some of the dislike for rugby being expressed in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I didn't criticize GAA. What are you talking about?

In the 15 plus years I've lived in Ireland, I have watched about a dozen matches a year in pubs. I've only heard people shushing on the 3 or 4 occasions in total. And we took the piss out of them. Tell me, was it one of the people you're desperately trying to be friends with that was doing the shushing?

Yeah I'd say therea a lot of that.

I started playing as a child in a club in the Midlands and I know there wasn't much of the classist business going on. Loads of people from all backgrounds. Lots of GAA lads who started off just playing because the GAA season was over so they fancied a bit of sport.

Not a top club in the county. Just a grassroots club with a community and comradery for the players and their families and the people involved in the club as organisers and supporters. It takes a real resentment of seeing others enjoying themselves to go on and on about how terrible it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Errr have u ever been to Asia?? See the fanatic supports there for your Liverpool, ManUre, Barcelona’s. The only rugby is Asia is the time the bunch of Blackrock twats went to Thailand and had the greatest horseplay ever in a swimming pool. Even in Africa street people are wearing football jerseys and nobody outside South Africa watch rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anti British no.

Personally speaking I hate rugby but love cricket.

The problem with rugby is that it's fans and certain media who have tried to make it out to be more popular than it is, and in reality it's gets way more attention than it deserves based on it's actual support base.

You have the international team that over 50% of it's players come from private schools.

You have four franchises, one it's core support from leafy suburbs of Dublin, another who's it's core support in a much smaller city, a third takes most of its support from a single side of a very dividend society and the fourth has feck all support to being with.

So in reality compared to the people follow GAA and soccer (regardless of what teams) support for rugby is tiny.

Certain sections of Irish society feel embarrassed that our most popular sports are ones that are unique to Ireland and not played internationally, and thus try to play up our interest in an international sport, with a small international base that we just happen to be good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its fans? Youre tarring all fans in the country when you have a completely wrong perception of most people who support rugby based on a small proportion of fans. Its one of the largest sports in the country. most supported.

as for your descriptions of the fan bases. well its clear youre trolling or havent a clue. as if you went to provincial games you would know that none of those descriptions of the core support is anywhere near true.

One of the funniest examples of rugby, rugby people and the rugby loving media being so far up their own holes was the ill-fated 2023 RWC bid back a few years ago.

The presentation of the bid to the World Rugby HQ in Dublin in particular.

A big parade down through D4 with drummers, former players, floats etc all to present a pathetic bid that when assessd was deemed to be technically inferior to South Africa.

And the sniggering at the South Africa's for only having their embassador present their bid in a series of binders at the HQ.

You hate rugby because it gets more coverage than you think it ought to get?

Thar doesn't make any sense to me. I think soccer gets more coverage than it ought to get, but I just don't watch it. From listening tonsoccer fans argue, I could make an argument that most people don't actually have a clue about soccer tactics or the nuances of the game, and only follow it as a soap opera, picking a team based on the socer jersey their uncle brought home from England in the 80s and now they're LFC For Life. Which premiership manager is going to be sacked and how "we" beat "ye" with absolutely no honesty no objectivity about what was or wasn't a hand ball or foul or whatever. Opinions on whether VAR is a great invention or a travesty that's killing the game seems to be based on whether the last VAR decision suited their team or not. Hut as long as they're enjoying themselves, who cares?

But why bother making a case against a sport? As long as the followers are enjoying themselves, who cares? I just don't tend to watch soccer on tv. And i even go to a few local games a year with the lads because I have fun with the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Sport, including rugby, is great because it's reported on without much bias, there is no real agenda because it is "only sport". For the most part, the X vs Y commentary and match report mercifully won't be teaching you how you should think. (Sports where dad can't buy your place are obviously the best: boxing, running, soccer, gaa. Rugby actually does ok here as it's too risky to bother to play if you're privileged.) The reporting on everything else can be traced back to the media owner, even though the editors and journos desperately try to ignore that! Unfortunately the disgusting US moneymen are now coming for rugby and so enjoy it while it lasts.

I hate rugby because I find it absolutely terrible to watch.

It's a pathetic spectacle.

The fact that it's gets more coverage than it deserves is secondary.

Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, in Ireland people play it all sorts of levels from kids to pros to fat 50 year olds on astro on a Thursday night.

And even though I think Irish people getting excited about teams from places they never have been to their lives or have zero connection to is also pathetic and stupid, the coverage of soccer is warranted based on the interest there is for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

@Fr Tod Umptious it's OK. The Championship has started. Everything will be OK. Normal service has been resumed

So what? People enjoy soccer however rhe follow it. I find it boring but that's grand. Other people enjoying and theybgetbrhe community and comradery thst they want from it. Beat of luck to them however invested they are and however deeply they undertake the game.

I encourage people to take whatever joy they can get from life. Sports can be low cost and high enjoyment for people to get a bit of craic and a brake from real life. Best of luck to them and if I don't enjoy it, I don't watch it. Everyone's a winner, right?

I don't care what people enjoy.

My point is and always has been that rugby gets far more attention from the media than it deserves based on it's support base and overall interest.

In reality men's rugby should be exclusive to a subscription station and women's rugby free on something like YouTube.

OK. Glad you're not in charge of anything 'cos I love the rugby. Six nations and a few URC games are all that's free to air. Is that seriously enough to make you this cross?

Not sure how it would work out because the more popular a sport the more likely it is to be on subscription channels. Not much English soccer premiership on free to air TV. Are you sure you've thought this system through?

Earlier in the thread someone posted the list of the most watched (on Irish TV) sporting events of 2020 or 2021. There were a few rugby matches in the top 10 and I think 1 soccer match at 9th or 10th. How do you explain that?

It very easy.

Top rugby games are very popular, the big internationals, the big European games.

But go beyond that and the interest falls off a cliff.

Interest in the GAA goes deep, very deep, interest in soccer is wide ranging, interest in rugby is shallow and narrow, lots of whoppin and a hollerin for the big games but feck all interest after that.

Happy ?

So why shouldn't they show the big games on free to air TV if it induces such whoopin and hollerin?

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So it's popular and loads of people are interested in watching it.....

Time to end the thread here

No. Your logic doesnt make sense. Rugby gets some of the highest viewing numbers of all sports events on free to air tv but you think it shouldn't be on free to air tv because it doesnt have many players or followers at lower levels? Is that right?

My logic makes perfect sense.

Just because rugby gets high ratings for big games does not mean that it's popular.

It gets the bandwagon crowd that love an event.

Few that watch would even know what the AIL is, actually few would even know what Zebre are.

But loads of people do want to watch the 6 Nations as demonstrated by the viewing figures. So why should those matches not be on tv whenntheyre hugely popular.

So what if lots of the viewers don't know what a Zebre or a URC is? I don't care if a Man Unire fan knows what limericks Markets Field stafuim is. If they enjoy the sport, let them at it, no?

Yeah I get that. But your logic doesn't make any sense. Are AIL matches being shown live or in some prime time highlights package? Are RTE showing Zebre's matches live every week? Or giving the URC massive amount of coverage? International matches get viewers. Why should a tv company not show something that gets massive ratings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well currently you can watch the full URC season free to air, so I watch that now. Used to watch F1 and Heineken cup but can't be bothered the faff of finding dodgy streams or paying silly money to watch. It's entertainment, or more realistically it'd background noise while you scroll your phone on the couch or a social crutch, so don't take it too seriously.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rugby gets more viewers in Ireland. Ice Hockey gets more viewers in Finland. Basketball gets more viewers in Lithuania. Cricket gets more viewers in India and Pakistan.

Also, if something is free to air of course it's going to get more viewers than a subscribption or PPV event...!!

Doesn't manke them better or worse sports.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I think if you look at the viewing figures all are narrow. How many are watching Brighton vs Norwich in the top league in the world,feck all. Now go and look at soccer attendence here vs rugby e.g. Rovers vs Leinster? Leinster is what 3 or 4 times as big ? But you think rugby gets too much coverage 😂

GAA gets good attendance all year round but was it <10,000 that watched Dublin vs Laois on sky sports the first year of PPV for the championship? TV numbers for 6 nations is comparable to All Ireland Semi Finals/Finals.

But look at the overall support and interest in soccer, don't narrow it to LOI or lower premier league teams to try and suit your point.

Look at all the people interested in soccer, that follow big UK teams, that follow European teams, that go to the UK for games, that go to LOI, that you see wearing merchandise etc

It's multitudes more than follow rugby in any shape or form.

At the same for GAA.

So what if less than 10k watched Dublin v Laois on Sky ?

I'm sure at the same weekend hundreds of thousands were attending other GAA games but high profile and not all over the country.

You don't get that with rugby.

That was the reason why I bumped this thread a few weeks back.

Munster v Leinster in Limerick, the biggest game in domestic rugby, with internationals back, first unrestricted attendance for over two years, and it still only attracted 20k odd.

None of this explains why you think the games of rugby which proved to be among the biggest draws on TV for the year, should t be on tv.

What has the number of people attending local GAA or Rugby games got to do with whether or not the most popular games should be on tv?

But it's gone too far for the serious rugby fans. Damaged honour. Rugby called out in vain. The neysayers need to be punished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement