Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've had an N26 account since they opened to the Irish market as well as Revolut.

The Revolut app has on many ocassions become unresponsive for hours at a time, on one ocassion it was a full day and that was highly problematic for me ( on Android, dont know if it was on Apple too) however the N26 one never ever has.

My emergency fund savings are in the N26 app as a result of the above and i've no concerns whatsoever.

On both you can do instant transfers to other N26/Revolut accounts which is handy when one of us is out shopping and funds are low which has happened once or twice.

That said SEPA transfers on Revolut are pretty much instant, however on N26 they take a few hours, YMMV

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Moved to BofI. Easy enough to do. Only problem was setting up AIB as a payee (credit card) went into a branch and they solved the problem immediately. Just making sure all my DD are working and I'll close KBC by the end of the month.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just get Curve and link your EBS account to it and now you have Google Pay on your EBS account. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

I already have a long-standing AIB current account, I intend to move my KBC account to that one. I only have the KBC current account because I got my mortgage with them for the better rate.

Should I wait until I am contacted about what is going to happen to the mortgage before touching the current account, due to the better rate being dependent on the current account?

Also is the switching process for the current account a bit different for me seeing as I want to switch to an already existing AIB current account? All the blurbs online seem to refer to opening a new account as part of the switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m moving back to Bank Of Ireland after closing my account to move to KBC. I moved to avoid the fees which they introduced as there was a free option but now that KBC are moving to the final stages of exiting I don’t mind going back to BOI and paying the monthly fee. I never had a problem with them before.

I had to open a new account which could be done online through my phone and was very easy. 10 minutes max to send everything through. IBAN issued 24 hours later. Just waiting for debit card and online banking and I’ll be good to go.

I did have a credit card with them but closed that also and opened a Avant account and linked to a curve card. Much better. Cash back monthly etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

I've got no idea who to switch to. PTSB would be nearest to me but my wife is with them and they're an absolute pain to deal with and the app is absolutely useless. Looking at the app ratings for the other main banks and those are all very poor too with terrible reviews. Why do Irish banks suck so much and charge you for the privilege of being crap.

Already have N26 and revolut, do most of my expenditure through those two but want to keep an Irish Iban as well as being able to lodge cash and cheques from time to time, kbc was just for getting wages and a few direct debits. I can't be arsed fighting over with the company's involved who don't like non Irish ibans. A good app is a must for me and seems nobody has one!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'd second what the other commenter said and definitely go with your local credit union.

I'm a bit weary now with Revolut myself as I had about €1k saved in a Vault and meanwhile my passport expired. I'd no intention of getting a new one since we were mid-lockdown at that stage. Revolut froze my account and wouldn't let me withdraw any money. Tried explaining how I didn't cease to exist just cos my ID expired and how N26/Monese/AIB et al had no problems with it since my accounts were all already verified but they were having none of it! Took about 2wks once I got a new passport and submitted it to unfreeze my account!

I'll miss KBC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Is there a list anywhere on companies that have a problem with non Irish IBANs?

I have DD with Electric Ireland, eir, Irish Life and mortgage with Ulster.

And is there any pro / con with Revolut or N26? I was thinking of putting my savings in Credit Union and use either N26 / Revolut to get paid into and for paying those DD's and mortgage.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

I asked in work & they said they can't pay into revolut as the sage payroll software won't accept it. Going to send my wages to my wife's account for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The third largest enterprise resource planning software provider in the world can't support international IBANs? (I know nothing about Sage, just seems unusual that something in this day and age wouldn't be updated to support it?)

Banks, Sage, payroll, whoever, all need a fire lit under their arse. Everything is painfully outdated.

Probably, they just said the sage payroll software & that it had come up before but there was nothing they can do until the software is updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

They're most likely using a standalone software they bought some time ago. New version cost money and they most likely don't want to invest (very common in Ireland to avoid investments). Cloud-based solution would be updated as it's paid based on the subscription, not as a once-off purchase as above.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Replacing an accounting system is expensive and risky. Taking the heat every so often from a couple of customers that want to use a foreign IBAN, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Breaking the law for any business isn't a good look. I bet they can pay suppliers with European IBANs

Reality versus theory: Companies are not going to make major investments in implementing new systems for the same of a small fine or slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

But if more savvy customers start to avoid them and it hurts the bottom line you will see things change then.

You think more savvy customers will choose to use an IBAN that they won't be able to use in their daily business because the enjoy the hassle???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Exactly. Revolut etc aren't so massively advantageous over domestic banks that for something like getting your wages paid, it's worth the hassle. They have things they do 100 times better than boi or aib, but they're not immune to acres of customer complaints themselves.

All of the banks are ****, you just have to choose the one that's least **** about the specific stuff you personally care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is more about staff than customers. It is a very competitive recruitment market here. It's not a good move to be ruling out a large part of the potential market of 20-something employees.

• Advertisement

Equally, If I'm a potential employee turning down a job or whinging because I demand to get my wages paid into an n26 Iban rather than an Irish one and have the company do some pain in the hole upgrade to the whole payroll system, I'm probably the sort of dose that other employees will soon revolt over working with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

It’s amazing how many people think free banking is a right !

How are banks supposed to make any money if nobody wants to pay for anything? Is it any wonder foreign banks are all leaving !

revoult are a Lithuanian bank paying their staff Lithuania’s minimum wage of 4 Euro an hour .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've no problem paying for banking but BOI and AIB in particular have relatively archaic digital services and some of the highest mortgage interest rates in the EU. They know customers have no other viable choice so they will improve their offerings at a snails pace

Aib don't charge fees in the UK. They fleece us though. How do they make money there if free banking isn't possible?

Who says they do? They're a non entity in the UK market, same as boi. Banks make money lending to other banks, not from old Mrs. Goggin with her tuppence a week into her current account.

So you agree then, in contrary to what was posted above, banks don't need to charge everyday fees to make money. But they do here.

Credit cards are free if you pay it off every month, why do they give out cards for free when they could charge.

Banks have different streams of revenue. I'm with kbc because my mortgage is there. They make a lot off me without me paying for my current account. I also used them for loans.

I'm amazed at how people will accept fees and pay for innefficient services when there are better options. I've been with BOI, AIB & permanent tsb in the past and have had problems with each of them which will make them a last resort, it's not just down to fees.

Post edited by raxy on

Credit cards are free because banks take a significant cut before paying out to the merchant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Isn't that the interchange fee? That is capped in the EU, 0.2% for debit cards and 0.3% for credit cards. That isn't a significant cut. Maybe there is another fee you are talking about that I'm not aware of though.

Advertisement