Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I’d be surprised if Harris was the Democrats choice if Biden doesn’t seek a second term. But then again they did choose Hilary, so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trump definitely would have threatened to withdraw from NATO if any members supplied weapons to Ukraine. He's on the Russian payroll, he probably would have started talking about putting US troops in Poland to stop people crossing the border.

I have no particular feelings about Biden. It's very difficult in the US to be a "good" president because what people want and what a US president can reasonably deliver are two very different things.

Their primary role is really foreign relations and diplomacy, and in that regard Biden has done a fairly stable job. Looks great next to the complete shambles of his predecessor, but really just "steady" compared to Obama or Clinton, who were far shrewder and more charismatic.

Like Reddit, Twitter is what you make of it. Most of my feed is programming stuff and I interact with that. It's still not great but it's ok.

As for Musk, I don't think he's a Trump fan. He's just a weird megalomaniac type person who works too much and has loads of money.

If he wants to try and bring his idea of free speech to Twitter, so be it. When Twitter bans people, people support it because Twitter can do what they want. "Who cares about free speech? It's their platform." I've often made the argument that if Twitter were bought out my Conservatives or someone like Musk, they'd quickly change their tune, and sure enough, they've changed their tune.

Go to another platform if you don't like it is what you said.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol great to see so many triggered leftists on here freaking out this🤣

Elon is certainly a better share holder then some of their questionable lads who literally dismembered a member of the press in turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,637 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is that the same Elon who was desperately trying to get the Saudis to fund his Tesla buy out folly?

Again and again, the dribblers fall for it every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I disagree and barring any potential legal issues, think he will. The man's ego is so huge that he still feels he was robbed in 2020 and is entitled to a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

They hope Elon will buy Twitter to "own the Libs".

Actually his impeding legal issues is one reason he might have to run and win.

The reality is though he is a busted flush, element of surprise candidate that shock up the 'cuckhold libtards' and devoured the and humiliated the Grand Old Party no longer has that element of surprise. Even discounting all the crazy shít he did when he was in office.

Even his saddo "I won I tell yeah tour" has seen dwindling simpletons attending.

Large amounts of Americans have notorious low attention spans, he is finished as a political candidate, even if you discount his age and health.

He is not even getting any traction on the normal news networks, as his usual attack dogs are all staying quiet just in case they are indicted.

His main rivals in the GOP have exceeded his "brashness" - unlike last time if there is debates it will just be a whole bunch of old rich white fúcks outlandishly insulting each other on stage until it reassembles the outright ridiculousness it would be.

Even if he gets his Twitter account back, tweeting outrageous nonsense to get attention is no longer unique. Everyone is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Wouldn't it be wise to do a small bit of research before opening our mouth? The supposedly smart seem to almost take pride in their ignorance.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3267118-trump-joins-biden-in-calling-russias-war-on-ukraine-genocide/

Trump, who boasts of a close personal relationship with Putin, had previously called Russia’s invasion a “holocaust.”

Trump elaborated on his comments later in the interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity, saying, “This is a genocide that’s taking place.”

“We have the strongest, most capable nuclear anywhere in the world because of what I did,” Trump said, reiterating his claim that Putin would not have invaded were he in office.

Trump said the U.S. has a more powerful nuclear arsenal than Russia and that “people shouldn’t be pushing us around.”

“I think in 100 years people are going to look back and they are going to say, ‘How did we stand back and NATO stand back?'” Trump said.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

I don't think i've heard anyone ever use the phrase "own the Libs", except by people on this site ascribing it to imaginary people in their heads.

He's on the Russian payroll

This is what people like you call a conspiracy theory or misinformation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Trump said the U.S. has a more powerful nuclear arsenal than Russia and that “people shouldn’t be pushing us around.”

He literally is a buffoon.

😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭timmyntc

He's on the Russian payroll, he probably would have started talking about putting US troops in Poland to stop people crossing the border.

Lol people still believing this shows how well propaganda works

All you have to do is keep spewing out the lies, and when the inevitable "debunking" or fact checking comes out to refute it, sure noone even pays attention!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Musks gambit will be interesting to see how it unfolds- at time of offer it was a ~30% premium on share price, unlikely that the stock will see that level in future. In addition Musk says he will sell all his shares if offer is rejected, so for shareholders its either a big payout now, or a big big loss in value after when share price collapses.

The Board of Twitter say they do not want to sell (Saudi Prince owns a large stake and came out publicly saying no deal), but if they fail to act in the shareholders interests they may be open to litigation should the deal fall through and share price tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

What a daft comment, when Putin made dire warnings that any incursion into Syrian territory that the Russians supporting Assad occupied, it would be considered an act of war, Trump bombed the crap out of an airbase and killed a couple of hundred Russian troops stationed there and Putin went crying to the UN about it like an impotent looser. He had no problem fronting up to 'Rocket Man' or Russian despots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You do know there's something called the Mueller report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

@Boggles

Lol@ at thinking any of us truly knows the full capability of the US military.. "But but Russia has more nukes doe" 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,283 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I somehow doubt Trump said any of that. He must have a decent press secretary. That seems too complacent and correct for him.

I do not believe it did one second anyway if he was still in power. Maybe all this time out will see him change but I doubt it somehow.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

There is a Trump thread on here if you want to discuss your hatred of him lads! Stop trying to derail the thread

Not exorable topics. The 2 persons are politically entangled; Musk also has hurt, partisan feelings about the current administration after he was snubbed from an internal combustion engine auto makers summit last year (Musk painted it as being targeted unfairly because he is a Union-Buster). Under the Trump admin, Musk enjoyed lots of special WH access. The topic of him buying Twitter and POTUS 45 are largely the same topic in a number of ways, especially as it relates to Trump being removed from the platform, and possibly restored to the platform in the future.

But I agree I don't know how it got to Russia and Nukes. What.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Who cares honestly. Twitter is cesspool and has been for years. If you're getting your news from it you should stop. It's almost as bad as Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Tesla builds electric cars exclusively. They don't build cars with ICEs so why would him not being invited be a snub?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The biggest problem with Twitter is the importance the media, even our own media, and politicians attach to it. We don't need to be constantly told what is being said on Twitter, as if it had any relevance outside of the media bubble.

Twitter has amplified the loudest, most obsessed, most emotional voices, but not necessarily the most well imformed or educated. We get high profile names or "celebrities" commenting on things they know no absolutely nothing about, but their tweets are quoted because of their fame

Its ironic that the anti-Trump feelings are so strong, considering that Trump's presence on Twitter may have saved it from fading into obscurity in 2016.

Ah sure let's just wait until we are told what to fight about next.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The topic is Elon Musk and Twitter. not Biden, not Trump

Another shareholder group has increased their stake to over 10.3%, outpacing Musk's reported shares.

The Twitter board has taken steps to ensure a hostile takeover is unlikely to happen. Must would have to garner the popular support of other major shareholders to have a shot. The 'poison pill' lasts now through April 14, 2023, and lets current shareholders respond to a hostile takeover by buying more shares at a discount.

The Rights Plan is intended to enable all shareholders to realize the full value of their investment in Twitter. The Rights Plan will reduce the likelihood that any entity, person or group gains control of Twitter through open market accumulation without paying all shareholders an appropriate control premium or without providing the Board sufficient time to make informed judgments and take actions that are in the best interests of shareholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

think vanguard are the biggest shareholder but musk is the biggest individual shareholder. vanguard represent millions of people's pensions, share portfolios and the like. think there's 2 other funds heavily involved as well.

i dont know a whole lot about this poison pill that is being spoken about, but it seems to be sell more shares to all existing shareholders bar 1. that surely cant be legal?

• Advertisement

It's US Wall Street, don't assume the common sense thing is going to be reflected in the law.

Jon Stewart did a whole podcast/episode about this recently, it's all very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You seem a bit confused between charities and governments. Charities don't get to set government policy. They just clean up the resulting mess.

How could any charity resolve the root causes of housing or drug abuse or third world hunger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Twitter can shi*e alright. Full of opinionated doucebags who love the sound of their own voice as they spill their bile. Being honest tho boards.ie is no better. Nearly a every thread decends in to madness and nothing more than 'I'm right and you're wrong'

Just the Internet huh. Scratch that, it's just people.

It's from a interview he did with Fox News, you're literally denying reality instead of doing what a decent person would do which is simply admitting that you were wrong.

The report that's main conclusion was that there was no collision with Russia? You're literally citing something that disagrees with your point.

based on the below, how can anyone not support musk?

The same lad that was begging the Saudis for money not so long ago, or the same Musk who is up to his títs with China?

That Elon Morale compass would make you dizzy wouldn't it? 🤕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can find all sorts of people on twitter, from Conservative to Liberal. I just follow tech or gaming writers, saying its bad is meaningless, I think it's s great platform for free speech and it's used by many Politicans and media pundits, journalists, techies, it has only a small amount of users compared with YouTube or tiktok or facebook

Your experience of twitter depends on exactly who you follow since it has random users from different political groups plus writers actors singers who just use it to promote their latest music, books blog podcasts etc

You may as well say all tv is bad since theres awful reality dating shows while ignoring all the good programms on BBC and Channel 4

they only ban users who post spam or break the rules eg posting violent or illegal content , hate speech etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hope he buys it and shuts it down, its a cesspit.

However, I would enjoy to see the gender pronoun Marxist crybaby's having a meltdown if he does decide to keep it open and support free speech.

Musk is most likely doing this for himself, and not in the name of free speech.

He owns a car company that has never turned a profit from selling cars AFAIK. Only for the regulatory credits given for selling electric cars Tesla wouid be in dire straights financially.

Ftr, I think he's a breath of fresh air in terms of innovation, but he skirts the law with share price manipulation!

On seperate note his father having a baby with his own stepdaughter is weird and creepy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if he is playing 5D chess, he will stoke their engineers to destroy all the source code and take the site down permanently , that would be hilarious.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Elon Musk is a special type of troll himself except he makes vast sums of money when he trolls, Go Elon buy twitter he contributes the exact same amount of money to Democrats as he does to Republicans. He is a type of moderate / centrist so I don't think he is the saviour of twitter, but, he might allow some balanced twittering which would be like the good old days before the alphabet people took total control of the narrative . !

it will lead to law suits if they de value the shares by doubling the share holding

Ah Woody Allen did it they like these behaviours in Hollyweird, keep it in the family & all that !!

I don't think he, ll buy it as he has most of his money in tesla stocks, other large shareholders do not want him to buy twitter, he just likes to break the rules like a meme lord, he says he does not know if he can buy it. I think he uses twitter as his own pr agency to promote digital coins and the latest tesla products if he sold his stocks now he'd make a large profit I think he's been married 2 or 3 times and now his ex girlfriend grimes is in a relationship with a woman. He' s annoyed because the Sec says his tweets about tesla must be approved by officials at tesla to show they are in compliance with company law Re investments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

if Elon buys twitter it will be flooded with nazis led by trump, hopefully they'll get the place shut down

• Advertisement

I think he wants twitter to allow more right wing trolls or idiots to post fake news or he does not understand how moderation works Every social media service had to ban users or remove posts that are extreme, false, violent or racist

Normal people can post on twitter if they

follow the rules and don't post garbage or extreme content eg don't be a moron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Guys, he's not trying to spend 40bn+ of his own money (possibly including selling shares in Tesla or SpaceX to fund it) because he believes in free speech, or wants to annoy lefties, or to allow Trump back on Twitter, or to combat fake news. He's doing it (or threatening to do it) because he believes he will make more money by affecting share prices.

Musk has regularly used Twitter to put out statements which has affected share prices of his companies (something which has gotten him in trouble with the SEC which investigates market manipulation). Now he's literally doing it with Twitter itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he isnt spending 40bn , more like 10bn, another 10bn from investors and borrow another 10bn off the other amounts. He is a 1 man marketing dept which is great to watch. literally doing the work of a 100 people while taking a dump. I dont think this is about turning a profit in a mechanical way though, he sees a way to improve the platform. Even Jack Dorsey has been complaining about Twitter

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Dingaan

He does have a great sense of humour!!

Elon Musk on Twitter: "https://t.co/Gw6xaw1u0N" / Twitter

• Advertisement
Advertisement