Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Yeah as you say it's only rumours that I am hearing but the fact I have heard off a good few different people in the construction sector brews my suspicion. As you say a huge player in the construction sector, if in fact they are looking for investors to pump in liquidity then it could be a perfect storm when interest rates and monetary tightening beginning to happen.

I'd say the idea of retiring early is gone out the window with the way house prices are going

workday would of been an easy company to join in the early days in Dublin, but now its gone the other way of big IT companies, and have many rounds of technical interviews google style to filter out the best of the best

Probably because people wernt expecting so much money to be printed though covid. The last recession didnt have this approach. Now we have sky high inflation.

It seems if economy does good house prices go up, if economy does bad house prices go up faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

Why not teach diy courses at secondary school. It could be done in transition year, these are essential life skills and anyone who goes on to own or rent a property will have to deal with diy.

The ones who enjoy it in school might decide to go on and work in a trade, engineering, interior design, energy etc the ones who don’t will still develop useful skills/ knowledge that might come in handy later on. Handy man ( pardon the pun) And as regards every kid being able to change a light bulb have my doubts!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Well that depends if you’re already a property owner….

despite all the doomsayers buying a grandcanal BTL was one of the best decisions I’ve made towards that target. City centre apartments (min C energy rating) are still grotesquely cheap in Dublin given that hotel rooms are all 200+ a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Have to agree with this. I did up an old farmhouse and bought a cheap townhouse in a small town. Between the two they cost about 110k. I am getting about 16k in rental income from them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The system penalises workers without assets over asset owners. The population of the former is growing fast while the latter are dying. This has consequences, people here call it populism

However democracy is populism in practice

How many of the former have parents who are the latter though, who will be dying over coming years? Sure, some wealth will go into healthcare costs, but a substantial amount will be passed down. Maybe there isn’t a bank of mum and dad to help a lot of people buy homes, but there will in many cases be a bank of deceased mum and dad to mitigate the issue.

Everyone with any wealth should be maximising tax reliefs right now….my own parents are not wealthy but they max out their annual and once off gift giving allowances.

• Advertisement

If you want to see how that Pans out for a country, check out Italy.

Of all the new builds last year less than a third made it to the general market so you may have a strong point, however for every one in such a position, how many have adult children in there home with decent jobs who can't get a house and rent is too expensive.

One would expect everyone in that household to vote against the political parties that brought about that situation

Not having a go at you as the below quote is a sign of the dysfunction of the system.

Your parents should not have to do such things, it's a sign that one sector has the entire economy held captive. Its a parasite and should be controlled and treated as such.

Max their pension contributions and put a bit away for healthcare when ts most needed

Everyone with any wealth should be maximising tax reliefs right now….my own parents are not wealthy but they max out their annual and once off gift

There are tons of FTB buying every month. Surveyors and solicitors are super busy. Landlords are net sellers, ie lots of people become home owners currently. Owners will stay the majority forever. And most of the oppositions plans are about taxing income and abolishing property taxes, ie benefitting asset owners even more and discouraging wealth building.

Also property in Ireland is still super cheap despite the current narrative. Builder on brink of bankruptcy tells me house prices have to go up further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Agree 💯. We'd be moving more towards an inheritocracy.

There's something really wrong if only those with rich parents can afford accommodation. I really hope we start moving to the finish model fast, i.e. government not contributing to private schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Builder on brink of bankruptcy tells me house prices have to go up further.

That comment says more about a single builder and less about the state of the property in market I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Buying social housing at 800k a pop. To rent it out at e30 a week is a disgrace. Mix some affordable housing in. But triple the housing could be provided in other areas of dublin. Gifting social housing recipients a lotto win, while the poor paying for it, couldnt dream of purchasing it, is a disgrace and sums up this banana republic. If you cant bring yourself to vote sf next election, spoil the vote...

Fg are left wing. Except when it comes to property, where they are happy to milk the have nots for every cent they have..

Post edited by Murph85 on

The have not’s aren’t doing too bad (get more money thrown at then than in any other country). The aspirational middle class is getting fleeced. But they want more left wing failures, so no sympathies here.

hope the troika gives this kip another kick in the teeth sometimes this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP and if the trioka arrive again what will happen. The middle classes will struggle to get mortgages. If houses drop in prices REITs which are now present will snap up cheap houses as will those with cash or who are able to access lending.

When water rates are proposed there will be protests. There will be hand wringing and tears by the left of it's injustice as they protect the welfare setup. Taxes will be hiked and at the end of the day the so called pressed middle will be no better off

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

the joys of buying property in ireland - pyrite, mica and fire safety hazards

as usual tens of thousands in hidden unexpected future costs for owners with zero accountability by anyone

many owners stuck for years unable to sell - the article below is an eye opener for anyone even remotely considering purchasing an over priced apartment in this country

throw insane property management fees and inflation for repairs into the mix and you have the perfect storm

I agree. When I refer to the have nots, I'm talking about the huge amount of working poor. Aspirational home owners. Certainly not the free luxury housing and outrageous welfare state. Now ironically being paid for, by the working poor. Even the working poor here are hit with a fifty percent marginal rate of tax. Its absolutely insane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres no need for have nots in modern society, as we know how to create sufficient amounts of money in order to provide all with their needs, but we have decided the best thing to do with a significant amount of this money is to use it to inflate asset prices such as property, this in turn creates major issues in our societies as the have nots struggle to meet their needs, in particular their property needs, as asset prices continually move away from their abilities to afford....

once again, most money created actually gets 'thrown' at asset markets, in an attempt to inflate prices, and it largely works, so the have nots virtually get little or none of it!

the middle classes are also getting screwed in all of this, as they to require access to these asset markets, primarily property markets, the largest expense in ones life is meeting their property needs, i.e. rental and purchasing.... modern political and economic ideologies also depict that taxation is moved away from wealth and towards labour and consumption, this is primarily towards the middle classes again..... so you ll actually find, the 'have nots' play little if no role in all of this.......

the troika were introduced to enforce this dynamic, and it worked..... baring in mind, some members of the troika have admitted post crash thats its polices have completed failed, and should not have been implemented in the first place.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Slug Michael Noonan will go down in history as the lad who facilitated this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Whatever about houses. You be off your head entirely to buy an apartment.

Far far too much to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Shinners aren't the answer though, they want to squeeze working families even more to ramp up social housing and social welfare to the max, fantastic if you are already on HAP and a council housing list and SF know this is their base.

Remember SF wanted the PUP to be circa €500 instead of €350, they will bankrupt this country trying to buy a 2nd election if they get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

country is already being bankrupted when councils are paying 800k for a social house. is there honestly any answer to this mess? the more i think of it the answer is No. id question the sanity of anyone under 35 voting ff/fg when you see things like this tbh

This was no accident either this was policy to achieve exactly what it has.

Suffocate supply, offload assets from NAMA and repair the bank balance sheets. How come NO one thought of leaving the land banks in the control of the NATIONAL ASSET MANAGEMENT Agency to help alleviate such a scenario

That policy and QE, both for the benefit of the financial institutions that caused the last crash, has been overcooked and has left our economy in an incredibly dangerous situation.

I would agree, however they are smart and appear on paper to have a better housing strategy (not very hard in fairness). The government(s) of the last decade have left the door open for them so they should be held fully responsible

This is not uniquely Irish situation. 60% of the French voters that bothered to come out voted far left or far right. Stormy waters ahead

That's the problem. There is no answer. Spoiling your vote to highlight the farce here, is the best bet. Your options range from the left, to the far left. Ffg only differing from left wing ideology on the housing racket front.. oh and the corporation tax, where companies worth hundreds of billions should pay a pittance in effective corporation tax. But a poor person in dublin should lose 50% of income over a pittance of 36,000.

We have no military expenditure and a tiny elderly population, but ageing population. Pity we couldnt just leave the troika in charge. The next bailout, let them set the changes, make the decisions. Rather than defering to the weasels here opting to increase taxes to pay for all of the inefficiency and waste. Irelands tax policy is effectively, let the middle to upper middle class pay way more than their fair share. There are no water charges, LPT is a token gesture. Huge amounts out of the tax net. Somebody has to pay a high cost for this farce...

There are tons of FTB buying every month. Surveyors and solicitors are super busy. Landlords are net sellers, ie lots of people become home owners currently.

I'm sure there is lots of ftb's out there. There are significant savings out there that need to be hoovered up.

If their is one thing the great unwashed learnt from the last bust its that the cautious and prudent got burnt. The wrost thing that could have happened you was to be without a house whatever the cost.

I'm not so sure that particular trait will remain for the next bust, given our national debt and our rather expensive social housing program and health care issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

once again, the last bust was largely related to our over reliance on credit i.e. private debt, it had little or nothing to do with public debt, we still have not dealt with this on a global level, for example, its primarily these debts thats preventing rates from being increased at a rate thats required or desired, doing so would simply lead to our accumulated private debts to become unserviceable, and potentially.....

Advertisement