Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good call there, I would see it like that too.

Last Sunday, which is the first hour of ‘current’ stuff, papers, we had Ballsy saying at 1125….yes 1125… .”Tne panel are staying with us” before introducing the first break.

FFS….they are hardly bringing in three or four people for 20-25 minutes.

I fully agree with your suggestion outlined in your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jesus Christ RTÉ continuing with their straight white males are responsible for all the ills of the world agenda again this time talking about violent crimes against gay men in Ireland, whilst simultaneously ignoring the ethnicity of the double murderer in Sligo.

One of the participants to this “debate” even used the words “echo chamber” without a hint of irony,. This “debate” btw features 4 people (3 women and 1 man) basically all singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Why aren’t they broadcasting this to the Middle East, or are they just content listening to themselves preaching to the converted.

Because as Joe Duffy says “praise be to Allah”

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I'd say most Irish people are pretty relaxed around gay people nowadays and most would have LGBT friends, work colleagues and neighbours. The real problem with homophobia is among the immigrant communities, particularly East European and ex-USSR males, Africans and certain Asian and Middle Eastern communities.

I doubt many of them listen to the RTE echo chamber.

• Advertisement

Your one Derval is fond of the sound of her own voice,one could suggest?

Difficult to listen to for this listener……..bang!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yep , a perfect circle jerk of WOKE thought ,turned it off after fifteen minutes, RTE think people are idiots if this kind of ignoring the elephant in the room will wash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think you are right in that the majority of Irish people bear no animus toward the LGBT community.

However there is a certain amount of homophobia among the native Irish population as well as in immigrant communities.

Following the events of the past week and the various testaments from people in the LGBT community relating their lived experience it would be strange if the issue was not discussed in a review programme.

they excluded the attitudes of immigrants from islamic countries , that was deliberate and rendered the entire debate not only meaningless but dishonest

Are you actually serious here or just doing your usual defending of RTE?

For the purposes of absolute clarity, I have no issue with the topic being covered, but why did they only reference white Irish males (quote) in the segment? The man who is the only suspect in the murder, mutilation, and beheading of men in Sligo is neither white nor Irish, facts which were conveniently and I have no doubt deliberately omitted from the laughably carefully constructed discussion.

It’s not the topic that is the issue, it is the attempted distorting of the facts to create some woke narrative and playing to the woke gallery that is the issue here, and I think you’re smart enough to know that. And it’s disgusting.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

You do realise the events in Sligo are now sub judice, and therefore cannot be discussed using specifics such as the accused identity.

Perhaps it’s not a sinister agenda as you seem to think and hope it is.

And whose duty was it to point the finger at one section of the immigrant community when they were not represented on the show?

One of the two journalists, the sociologist or the CEO?

What a silly question ,if a Tongan committed the murder , would RTE be required to have a South Pacific islander on the panel ?

Identity politics nonsense

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

Ah, the classic whataboutery defence.

They could quite easily have discussed the topic in a holistic manner without specifying white Irish men, but of course they didn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Sub judice seems to be the new buzzword on here for some people when a crime involving a foreigner is brought up.

Naming a suspect or someone charged is not covered by sub judice.

Radio Nova named the Sligo suspect on numerous news bulletins today.

At a quick glance he was / is named on the RTE, Irish Independent and Irish Times websites on articles still available. Even a picture one some of the sites. Three of the most popular news site.

Boards seems to have far stricter guidelines on discussing on going cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Naming him isn’t the issue.

Discussing his nationality, religion, ethnicity etc. is.

Sub judice has been around for years.

Boards, nor RTE invented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I’m well aware it’s been around for years. I’m also well aware it wasn’t invented by RTE or Boards, and I don’t see how anyone could believe that I thought it had been invented by Boards or RTE based on what I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a rather sad state of affairs in this country when you know if someone attacked or murdered was a straight due to the lack of importance of reporting the story in the media.

Thanks for the edit anyway.

If it's that silly a question it seems it took you 3 hours to come up with a silly answer 🙂.

What was silly about the question in the first place anyway?

We were discussing this morning's show not any murder.

• Advertisement

Did you actually expect a panel consisting of a journalist, a sociologist and a CEO moderated by a journalist to start discussing the attitudes of a section of the immigrant community without a balancing voice ?

Because that's what I was talking about.

I am not referring to any individual incident.

The question is faulty , we must have uniform values when it comes to murder of people in Ireland, there is absolutely no reason why a Muslim clerics opinion has more value here over the people on today's panel

It's pure moral relativism

You will note that I never mentioned a "muslim cleric" neither did I express an opinion about any individual murder.

In general terms murder is wrong morally and legally, there is no discussion needed on that.

To return to my first post today -

"I think you are right in that the majority of Irish people bear no animus toward the LGBT community.

However there is a certain amount of homophobia among the native Irish population as well as in immigrant communities.

Following the events of the past week and the various testaments from people in the LGBT community relating their lived experience it would be strange if the issue was not discussed in a review programme."

It was you that objected to the way the discussion was conducted.

I stand over what I said and will not be drawn into discussing a case that is before the courts.

Handy cop out ,you'd make a great Mod around here

I'm not copping out at all.

My position is quite clear if you have a further comment to make please feel free.

As for being a Mod, thanks for the recommendation but I wouldn't be able for the excitement 🙂

And as I said earlier, it’s absolutely fine to discuss the topic. What is not ok is to paint the picture that this is solely a “white Irish male” problem, when it clearly is not . There were 3 incidents last week. 1 was a drunken yob who was repeatedly referred to as being white, male, and Irish. This person assaulted 1 person. Whilst awful for the victim, it was by some extreme the lesser of all the crimes. The other incidents were far more serious, yet no comment was made to identify the perpetrator. Why is that?

If you had been away and hadn’t read any news reports of what happened you’d assume from the commentary that all of these crimes were committed by “white, Irish males”, which Is a completely false narrative.

The second there was a non-descript, non-identifying statement about the accused I (sadly) knew instinctively that he wasn’t white and Irish. That’s where we are now in terms of media coverage in this country. Afraid to tell the truth in case they’re called out for racism, it’s a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭golondrinas

immigrant mammies talk to your sons.

Sligo

Aisling murphy

English tourist lefr for dead at the weekend.

just three recent ones

I stayed listening to the full first hour this morning as in the intro Brendan promised to talk about the purchase of properties in Limerick by Davy at premium prices for subsequent long term leases back to the council. Was the topic discussed? No.

It’s nowhere near as bad as Joe Duffy’s promos where what is discussed on the show bears no resemblance to the promo, but still poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Does B'OC have a flu 🤧 he sounds particularly nasal today. Quite uncomfortable to listen to.

In my opinion this presentation is rapidly going down the sinkhole.

Ballsy seems uncomfortable with the ‘panel’ bit of the show, seems anxious to get it over and comes across as very ‘jumpy’.

only seems to relax a bit when these so called ‘influencer types ‘come on to flog whatever item or philosophy they peddle.

Not a good outlook in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Had to switch it off today, during the discussion about a cap being put on Ukranian refugees coming into the country.

A ukranian guest said that after putting a cap on numbers, what would be next? Signs saying no Ukrainians, no blacks, no dogs. Sweet Jesus, what clap trap. Comments like that should not go unchallenged. Not sure if Boc did or not. But wouldn't expect him to, for fear of causing offence.

Any ukranian arriving in this country are being treated well, perhaps better than most arriving in other countries. And they are getting every benefit available. A cap might be getting talked about simply cos we have nowhere to put them. If we accept too many, we will end up putting them in unsuitable accomm, and that's not fair on them.

But its hardly as if we are going to turn into 1940s Alabama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pat McCabe was great on Saturday.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

It was a real conversation interview.

They produced a memorable piece of radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Even he has rather too great an opinion of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well earned, if you ask me. Ireland’s greatest, living, writer by a long way.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I'd say he knows the value of his art but doesn't come across as boastful.

Quietly confident and at a reflective stage in life.

• Advertisement

Brenda Power on the panel again today. She’s on the panel on this show more than the hosts of The Ryan Tubridy Show and Liveline are on theirs.

This musical dude on with Ballsy likes smelling himself !

Jaysus, Ballsy’s 1200-1300 segment has deteriorated into a platform for every gobby gimp to try to talk over everyone else.

Very difficult to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Nearly came to blows then!

”PLAY THE RECORD!”

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

Love turning on the radio and hearing some American man tell me women should welcome trans women into their sporting events with open arms. Utter crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

That idiot talking about trans and ‘tainted’ white people. Critical theory has truly ruined the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Shelga

He wasn’t even saying anything remotely original, it was just tiresome. Trans women are women, check, white privilege, check. Zzz. All very 2015. How he got a whole book out of it, I don’t know.

• Some excellent advice from that cybersecurity woman. I’ve completed a video course which verifies everything she said. We have far too much of our data in the hands of Big Tech and we do it so willingly and without any awareness at all. I have Proton Mail but so much of my business is done though other regular accounts I would have to change every damn account I have. But I do like to do my tiny bit to get others around to thinking of these alternative more private methods of communicating. Especially when you see what’s happening g in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What happened ? Was there an issue at end of McSavage piece ?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Advertisement
Advertisement