Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don’t for a minute believe that there are many potential employees filtering out employers on the basis of an IBAN. That discussion might only arise after they have accepted the job.

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Go open their financial statements and find out what is actually happening.

The problem is that your bank KBC is exiting the market, so clearly they were not making enough money out of customers like you after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its more to do with the amount of capital they need to keep on their balance sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

So, you agree that current account holders don't provide any material business to the banks, but you expect to get a complicated service with high costs (customer service staff and branch locations) for nothing, and are surprised when it's not offered?

Free banking was a thing for a while, it has gradually been phased out except in markets where customer churn is very high and people tend to have multiple accounts with several different banks, and "winning customer share" is a myth some banks are still chasing. In those markets, banks are also ****. It's because banks are **** at infrastructural investment, which is ironic given that banking was one of the key drivers of computerisation, international data communications, and software development in the 60's and 70's.

• Advertisement

It's not complicated. A company has a payroll system that doesn't support foreign IBANs. All their current employees are getting paid. Andrew Renko joins, demands that everything be upgraded so he can get paid into a Revolut account, and the company has to take on a risky upgrade to please one (1) new member of staff.

If everything goes right, existing employees have gained nothing. If something goes wrong, people don't get paid. Guess how popular Andrew Renko is with his colleagues now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I doubt HR are going to tell everyone it was a particular employee.

Company X is still breaking the law regardless.

If a huge niche supplier wanted to be paid into a new IBAN would they upgrade or say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would they not blame the HR people for not testing the new software release properly before going live with the upgrade?

It is also to do with security threats to senior management.

Have a look at the threads in the work forum here about how employees share information about potential employers. That goes on right across social media. Ireland is still a pretty small place, so if an employer isn't able to pay salary to a large bunch of potential younger employees, word gets around among those communities fairly quickly. It would be a bit silly of a company to let their IT provider off the hook and exclude potential employees, in a competitive recruitment market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Is topping up Revolut free with AIB? I think it goes down as a card payment so its like an online purchase which I think they charge for.

Its between them and PTSB for me but I've had recent experience with their app too, my sister in law is with them and wanted to set me up as a payee, we couldn't get it done and she had to go to branch twice but I've seen a few say its the best of a bad bunch.

@Slutmonkey57b I've no issue paying fee's if I have to which I clearly do now, I'll do my best to keep them as low as possible. I just thought it was foolish to say there's no such thing as free current account banking when its clearly demonstrated both here until now and in the UK that there is/was. Now they don't have to as their only competition that offered it is gone. I'm not interested in how they make money, I'll pay for a service if its good and if it isn't and still have to pay I'll keep those costs to me as low as I can. for example AIb charging 4.50 to set up a standing order which I can currently do myself for free in the KBC app. Stuff like that is taking the piss. Give us the tools and we'll do it ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'm not sure if Revolut topup is charged by AIB as an online payment as it's through Google Pay (or Google Play). When I use phone via Google Pay, AIB won't charge - that I know. Even if Revolut topup costs, then you could topup just one a month then rather than whenever needed.

To setup a payee on PTSB need to use an online banking on the laptop, PC or tablet. On their app there's no such a function. Then it needs to be confirmed on the app. So if a person doesn't have an app or doesn't have a laptop, PC or tablet, then yes, need to go to branch.

AIB paper manual standing order cost 4.50 Euro to setup, but if you do that yourself on their online banking or app - that's for free.

That's good about the standing order. Yeah I've seen that with my wife's PTSB account but the issue we had was with AIB. Can't remember exactly but I think the app was expecting us to input codes that she wasnt receiving no matter what we did so she had to go to an aib branch to send the payment.

If sending money on the aib app or online, from an aib account to N26 for example, is there a charge for that

Aib would be handiest for me as my boss pays us via an aib account and he can be late paying sometimes, but the payment would be instant if I had an aib account.

With the AIB app not showing the codes it could be app settings which can be changed to back to show all notifications. All or some notifications of the app must have been turned off. Or reinstalling the app would help. I've seen BOI customers telling same and this normally resolves it.

It depends on what way you're sending money from AIB to N26: via IBAN or through Google Play. But again, I'm note, maybe both ways would accumulate the charge. I'm back to AIB just a month ago. When I'll get the statement of fees, I'll check this out.

IMO AIB is the only most professional and relevant bank in Ireland after UB and KBC leaving us. UB was good for their excellent app, KBC for easy, long opening hours and very competent customer service. I've also never seen a queue in their branches.

BOI in my eyes are irrelevant, old-school, very slow to respond (staff shortage?), with a nice, but inefficient customer service. I felt the pain watching my partner dealing with them on simple queries. We both now with AIB.

PTSB in my opinion isn't a bank. I doubt their qualification, everything is just badly organised and they also seem to be inefficient: long queues in branches, awful customer service on phone, app is very limited and old-fashion. This institution is for old people who doesn't need an excellent app and have plenty of time chatting while waiting in the queue. It's not for a new generation with modern needs. What also shocked me that PTSB employees don't communicate with each other. I ended up unnecessarily filling up the form in branch as one of the staff members couldn't find my originally completed form. She then went on to the lunch break while I was completing the the form once again. Another staff returned and she said they had it left here in the drawer and were waiting for me. They looked to me like a bunch of headless chickens. I didn't feel confident dealing with them.

AIB phone customer service used to be good, but I can't say that now. The last calls weren't pleasant, I felt I'm disturbing their peace, however, they at least gave a proper information, what I couldn't tell about the PTSB who normally cannot give a straight and correct answer (in my personal experience). I like AIB app as it's easy to use. The thing I dislike about the AIB is their short customer service hours (till 5pm), unlike KBC who're opening until 11pm.

I won't mention EBS - I don't consider them as a bank. A simple fact that to setup a DD you need to post them a completed paper form tells everything you need about them. AIB don't need them. I think, EBS should be sold to an international investor who could transform it to something like KBC but with even less branches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

You cannot make a payment to an Irish bank account using the sort code and account number, the IBAN is required and has been for a long time, the payroll system that the company is using must be very old and is actually in violation of the banking laws in force in Ireland.

Yeah I tried all that with the app and we still couldn't get them through. Don't know what was going on. Thanks for your input mate, very helpful. I agree completely on PTSB I'd be loathe to go them, I've seen the same issues via my wife and friend who both bank with them, but they're nearest and probably cheapest which is the only reason I'd consider them.

So how do you receive and make payments to/from people outside the SEPA system then? I don't have an Irish bank account, but when making a payment to Panama a while back, I eventually found the option on my Swiss bank account to do so via the sort code and account number. It was not obvious as everything was defaulted to support IBAN, but with the help of support I eventually navigated to the option. [It was also very expensive]

I suspect you are confusing what banks are required to do between themselves vs what consumers are allowed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have the Revolut bank account so I'll likely be just switching over to that... although the plan has already had it's first knock back with the Ulster bank mortgage portal considering the IBAN invalid...

no doubt because it's neither Irish nor British

Going to ring tomorrow to see if a paper mandate can be completed and that the issue is with some outdated validation on the website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I was going to just use Revolut/N26 as well and have an Ulster Bank mortgage so hopefully there is a solution to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, @jahalpin is correct, banks are not allowed accept (SEPA) debit/credit instructions using the outdated national systems.

However, that doesn't mean a company must be using up-to-date payroll systems. What many companies did is purchase a supplementary software to bridge the gap i.e. it would take an "old" payroll file and convert it to a new SEPA file that the bank would accept. The company would still use the old payroll, the bank would receive a SEPA-compliant file, and everyone is happy - except the supplier or employee that wants the company to use a non-Irish account. Unfortunately, the consequences are pretty low for non-compliant companies

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

After lots of deliberating I decided to go with AIB. Went through the process on the app only for it to tell me they believe I already have an AIB account and I need to go to branch. That ain't happening, I want to avoid branches as much as possible. Last AIB account I had was 1996!

So I tried with PTSB and I can't do that either as the text codes they want to send me during the sign up process aren't coming through! Great stuff🤦

EDIT: turns out the PTSB messages are being presumed as spam so were being directed there without my input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Oh yes you can. And all payrolls get updated every year so no such thing as a very old payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Thanks for this, extremely helpful!

Leaning towards AIB but can I ask a quick q, do you need any minimum balance in your current account to lower fees or does it matter at all? Back a few years ago with BOI had to keep minimum balance in account but this was to avoid fees completely so this is a totally different scenario.

Have mortgage with KBC so think will switch that to AIB to get free banking on that. Is there any catch with this?

Then just set up 2 separate current accounts in our own names then and pay the fees that you have listed above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They probably don't make money on current accounts. But NI (they don't offer consumer banking in GB) has a vastly more competitive banking market whereas we are now going to have a whole three full service banks left - so much more reason to offer free current accounts to hold on to customers for other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What utility companies don't accept non Irish accounts?

Would like to avoid opening an Irish bank account if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Has anyone with a KBC mortgage rang them and asked for a new fixed rate? I presume they still are offering them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

My fixed rate with KBC ends in June. I got the letter they send out before it ends and if I stay with them I would go automatically on a variable rate of 3 percent or a fixed rate of between 2.45 and 2.7 percent depending on LTV and duration of fixed rate.

No minimum balance or lodgement required with AIB current account. This was a thing a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MercuryBoy

Seems n26 have frozen a load of accounts recently, there is even a lawsuit organised by angry users https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/n26.com

Advertisement