Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,964 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hard to have it both way

'' this is now war, because a deep fat fryer fire sank out boat''

What a shower of simpletons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Interesting interview earlier on 2FM with Oliver Bullough, author of Butler to the World: How Britain Became the Servant of Tycoons, Tax Dodgers, Kleptocrats and Criminals.

Interesting reasons why Oligarchs (not just Russian Oligarchs I might add) chose to use London/the UK as their base to spend their money (and keep it safe) and the differences between the US and UK enforcement in relation to such, and the apparent encouragement by the UK for the Oligarchs to set up base there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Could it be true that 💩-tin has a ‘body double’ as in someone identical to him and that the majority of his public appearances are not actually him…?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@Donald Trump - Ah no. Wibbs always makes good points. I was only joking about the windows.

I agree, he has made some really decent posts over the years.

It's just a shame that he has to detract from that with too many posts that show his impulsiveness in curtly dismissing someones opinion - because it differs from his own, and not (as proven by opinion polls) because they are in any way fundamentally wrong.

I will engage in conversation and good-natured debate with anyone, but I won't be talked down to and made to feel the butt of ridicule by the deliberate caustic and derogatory remarks made by another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Give him half an hour to check his copy of Janes Aircraft and he'll get back to you with a correction on that.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Some footage from a Ukrainian helicopter reportedly from February 28th near Kyiv. Note what seems to be a significant number of rounds hitting and passing by the helicopter; and what might be return fire from one or more crew in the back:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Great sign off to Jake Tapper's interview with President Zelensky on CNN today:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fine talk from a Mod who should be setting standards. I've seen people banned on here for less.

A) I'm not a mod of this forum. B) I said that post was hysterical, not you. That's the difference and I adhere to that, see below where you don't.

More people support military intervention IN UKRAINE (I never said Russia) than oppose it.

So? The Brexit vote passed and Trump got voted in. More people voted for those that didn't. Doesn't mean either were sensible.

Billions of people WILL die in wars, from now and all future wars. That's a fact. Unless we prevent it. What part of that is hysterics?

In the history of the human race you'd be very hard pressed to find a billion people, never mind billions to have been killed in wars. The two worst wars in history, WW1 and WW2 killed around 100 million between them. And since I don't have a crystal ball and neither do you you can't claim billions of people will die in wars in the future. We can say that if a nuclear exchange between the West and Russia actually kicked off, billions would indeed die.

Why do many of your long-winded replies tend to focus on deriding and trying to belittle people, when you are the one in the minority. Do you also cut and paste your rhetoric to send to all the Generals, senior war strategists, government figures and many others who believe intervention to be the best option?... I Think not. You'll just spew it out on here in the ignorance of your self belief that you're smarter than others on Boards.

Given the West and NATO have not directly intervened in this war, when they did in Syria and other places and the US have been quick to jump in with both feet in the last thirty years, what does that tell you of the opinions of the generals et al who are actually in charge?

I thought this was the Russia thread.

Would you prefer it if people derailed it with Syrian content?

I didn't derail it, though I knew you'd jump to that. I did point out what I see as the blindspots bordering on the current events closer to home hypocrisy of the gung ho arguments around this conflict. It's hard to work out a true figure for casualities on all sides in this war, but if we go for the highest number which is around 30,000. OK, so we're willing to risk WW3 for 30,000, but with half a million dead we weren't? Or the 80,000 killed in Chechnya which putin caused. Something somewhere is wrong with that logic and that needs to be said and considered and it doesn't take away from the tragedy unfolding in Ukraine right now .

And what exactly makes you think I had no clue?...

Call it a hunch*.

The fact that you are the hysterical one speaks volumes.

Some Mod. You're a disgrace.

🤦‍♂️

*TBH my own knowledge of Ukraine was minimal, based on someone I knew from there back in 2010 and a couple of youtube Bald and Bankrupt vids. Russia from general interests in WW2, the space race and their military aircraft, a school project I did as a kid and an interest in the Byzantines and their influence on Kievan Rus(Kyivan Rus now I suppose) and later in Russia herself after the eastern empire fell when they painted themselves as the Third Rome(which actually seems to have had an impact on their thinking). And their dalliance with modernism and constructivism. I have known a few Russians living here, but TBH with few exceptions they weren't that interesting on the history front and much of it was clearly biased. I did see Winter on Fire and Stone's putin backed riposte when they came out, but TBH didn't really care that much after the lights went up. I'd be lying if I claimed otherwise.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The lack of even a hint of self-awareness - apart from some very nervous looks - that they started this obscene conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

ive being trying to follow this war on twitter and other social medias over looking at news. the telgram is good for actual videos to confirm whats being stated but there is allot of mis missinformation... but ive a simple question ...

as it stands now today, whos actually winning the war in Ukraine?

any good information sites above millitary info (MOD, department of defence, RMOF) etc..? that says it straigh without leaning to any particular side?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

i think Russia is okay with UK joining EU...as EU will rebuild it. NATO is a different matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Personally I've long suspected that one reason for the drive for Brexit from their rich and powerful was to keep the beady eye, or future beady eyes off their banking system which makes the Swiss look moral. That Zelensky, who well knows the score, praised the British government, rolled out the red carpet for Johnson, the current head of the snake party which stinks with dirty Russian money, whose capital has the nickname of Londongrad and whose government took their sweet time and are taking their sweet time giving safe haven to Ukrainian refugees showed how desperately he needs the weapons Johnson is giving him. Then again when your back is against the wall and a prick offers you help and even though you know he's a prick, you'll take that help. Expediency and good politics.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A general point, but echoing comments from Wibbs above. The active mods in this forum are me and Ten of Swords. Any mods from other forums are the same as any other user. No higher standards are required and no special treatments offered. Please do not discuss any matters relating to moderation in thread. PM one of us if you have an issue

Do not reply to this post. If anyone has any questions drop one of us a PM

I mean the implication that actually using sources or evidence to bring to a discussion is somehow worthy of scorn says volumes about your attitude to the forum and the people who post in it. Although I would point out that there's not a single element of the original post which would require "Jane's Aircraft"; so not really sure what you're crying about.

So in your opinion it's much better if people just spout whatever nonsense pops into their head without a shred of actual evidence; such as there being top secret NATO planes flying over Ukraine and so forth?

Strange that it's February and there is not a trace or hint of snow anywhere. It must have been cold in that cockpit with what looks like a gap in the panels under the co-pilots position and with a wind-whistle so massive it drowns out the sound of a helicopter engine so it's barely audible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

Have a look at this yoke, with the price tag still hanging on it https://twitter.com/sniper_by_heart/status/1515738989013127185?s=20&t=kDtsVBWQU89BRfl3hK5UOA

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nobody is winning. Russia haven't won... not yet, maybe not ever. The most important point is that Ukraine hasn't lost yet, but have suffered horrific civilian casualties as a result of Russian war crimes and atrocities, infrastructure devastated.

It could have easily gone otherwise with Kyiv falling, either to the initial coup d'etat type assault with paratroops or the second wave of massive armoured columns.

Ukraine have been immense in defence, aided by anti tank and anti aircraft weaponry supplied by NATO but trying to retake territory Russia has seized is a different prospect entirely.

(The assistance from outside would be for naught without Ukranian troops to wield them with skill and bravery and supplied by a functioning government - see Afghanistan)

The focus now has shifted to the south east, will Russia be able to encircle the Ukrainian forces there and seize the entire Donbas region, or will they be confined to a coastal strip.

What happens next all depends on the outcomes of those battles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's not even a T-14 like the Tweet claims, it's a Polish OBRUM/BaE concept, only one ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Joebobs

as it stands now today, whos actually winning the war in Ukraine?

Ukraine are.

Russia's initial objective was to topple the government of Ukraine and take major urban centres, or at the very least Kyiv. Ukraine's objective was to prevent this and drive Russian forces from Ukrainian land.

Russia have very much failed their initial objective and today, as I write this, Ukraine still holds the vast majority of its recognised territory, and Ukraine has also inflicted heavy disproportionate losses on Russian forces, even killing a handful of top generals. Russia getting boots to Kyiv looks less likely than it did in late Feb when half the people here were saying that Kyiv had a week.

That looks like a Polish PL-01 concept tank.

The Russian T-14 Armata is generally considered to be a parade only tank for Russia: it has never actually been deployed. I'm pretty sure they would lose their collective **** if one got captured or destroyed in Ukraine; and according to reports they may only have around 20 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

For the love of the giraffe god! That video effect makes it completely un-watchable. What IQ-minus moron dreamed that up??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Makes sense. The launcher can fire four at a time looks like three made it.

IMHO even at this stage Russia has lost in so many ways. Even if they took all of Ukraine and installed a puppet government, something they haven't a hope in hell of doing now, or as it turned out then, or no matter what back and forth happens now until peace falls on Ukraine they will have still lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Ukraine are because they're inflicting unsustainable losses on the Russians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement