Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options
  • 04-04-2022 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mod Note: Please read the charter before posting, particularly the parts regarding abuse (which includes abuse of players, managers etc.). There will be no excuses for breaking these rules if they result in warnings/bans. Please report any posts that cross the line.

The league is over, the championship starts very soon.

It's back to 2007 with the 2023 Div 3 and 4 teams not getting to the qualifiers unless they reach the provincial finals. They go to the Tommy Murphy Cup v2 (Tailteann Cup)

Gone are the All Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter Final Groups Stages (Super 8s) and it's back to the knockout quarter finals.

Kerry are the clear favourites and rightly so.

They have brought back Jack O' Connor to end the (7 year) famine and he is leaving no stone unturned, playing almost full strength teams since the McGrath Cup.

Their first real test will only come in the SF if Dublin are there and have regained some of their form.

The problem for Dublin is that they don't look like regaining some of their form, even in the league when you though they had got something back and were doing enough to save themselves they come up short against Monaghan.

There is something not right with the camp, it's probably just a natural legacy of being so dominant for so long.

They might not even be in that SF come July.

The other side of the draw id a bit more interesting, both Ulster and Connacht are competitive.

Even though Mayo will be favourites in Connacht any of Roscommon or Galway could go on to win it also.

In Ulster I'd say it's Tyrone and Armagh and even Monaghan. I don't rate Donegal, they rely to much on Murphy and they have proven to be "soft" over the last few years when the fat is really in the fire.

As I said Kerry will be favourites but they are no invincible, there were times in the first half yesterday that there was loads of space in front of the Kerry goal, a good counter attacking team could put a real dent in Kerry's ambitions.

Post edited by Hammer Archer on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Another Dublin v Mayo final is looming with the Dubs doing another job on them. Kerry are still a year away from winning imo so I've no expectations this year but I'd be expecting Jack to deliver next year after having a full season with the team.

Cork will be a huge test for Kerry in a few weeks now they have the siege mentality ramped up with the PUR/PUC/Killarney debacle. Kildare did an unexpected job on Mayo in similar circumstances a few years ago. And if the game does go ahead in PUR (as it should do) you can expect a Cork team to come all guns blazing and a boisterous Cork crowd. Saying that, I'd hope Kerry would edge a tight one.

Munster - Kerry

Leinster - Dublin.

Ulster - Armagh.

Connacht - Mayo.

All Ireland - Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Dublin are finished as an All Ireland threat for a few years now I think - the wheels have well and truly come off. Whether is discontent, poor manager, hunger no longer there with the players or simply that it's the end of the current cycle and has to all start again - who knows? They look like they will still dominate Leinster for a year or two more due to the fact that the opposition is so poor there at the moment although I don't think Kildare are too far away, maybe another year or so and I wouldn't rule out Louth causing a shock or two either this year. Meath are as far away as ever unfortunately as are Laois, Westmeath etc.

In Munster, it's a one horse race - simple as that. The best any of the others can look at is AI QF possibly through the qualifiers.

Connacht, same as every other year for the last 5 or so it's between Roscommon, Galway and Mayo. The Rossies haven't a hope of progressing beyond AI QF regardless of whether they win Connacht or not, same goes for Galway. Mayo on the other hand could do anything - lose to Galway and be knocked out first round of qualifiers or just as easily, end up in the AI Final.

Ulster - Pick a number. Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal, Armagh or Derry. Any of the five could end up Ulster Champions. I've a sneaky feeling Derry will go well this year, particularly in Ulster but in all likelihood it's Tyrone that will be the flag bearers come the business end of the championship.

I think Kerry are nailed on to be in the AI Final and will probably meet Mayo, Tyrone or Derry in the final come July 29th. On AI Final day anything can happen but Kerry to be lifting Sam for me.

Offaly to win Tailteann Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

"Cork will be a huge test for Kerry" - the same Cork who struggled to beat Offaly a couple of weeks ago in a relegation playoff? Will you go away out of that with the yerraing 🤣

The PUC debacle might give Cork some sort of boost but if they lose by less than we did yesterday, they'll be doing alright

Kerry v Tyrone in the final IMO and Tyrone to narrowly continue the hoodoo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Monaghan to make the final.

No "Yerraing" here. I have never and never will partake in that nonsense. I try to be as honest and straight in my posts and they can be taken at face value. You can disagree with them, I'm sure plenty do and I sometimes look like a clown after making a bad prediction, like a lot of us here but I'm not into trying to play a "cute hoor" card on a random forum.

League and championship is always a different animal and Kerry/Cork is always feisty. I'd put last yeasr defeat down to a bad day at the office coupled with the fact Cork dumped Kerry out of the championship the year before so Kerry had a point to prove.

Now, the tables have turned and Cork are reeling from a record defeat and have created the siege mentality. As I said, I expect Kerry to win but I dont think it will be as straightforward as some are making out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Yerra shure aren't Limerick and Clare getting better as well shure poor auld Kerry haven't a hope yerra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bit of yerrah going on here I think. Cork will be no test whatsoever for Kerry, will get even worse than what Mayo got yesterday. Kerry very strong looking and David Clifford is practically unmarkable by one man alone. (Not so much his brother). They still haven't been tested much yet this season though and doubts must remain about their defence until they are answered. How strong is their midfield also? Up front too, Stephen O'Brien and Paul Geaney have a lot of football played without too many medals to show for it. The semi-final with the Dubs will surely be the de-facto final.

Can't see Mayo emerging from Connacht, just too many fires to put out (and scoring forwards to find). Indeed, as poor as Galway were in certain sections yesterday, I still give us a good chance of triumphing in Castlebar in a few weeks. Can the Rossies be as good again as they were yesterday? if so, and they have the Indian eye over Galway currently, then they will win Connacht.

In Ulster, it will surely be between Tyrone and Armagh, with maybe Derry a wildcard. Think Monaghan flatter to deceive a lot in the championship. Winner of Ulster/Connacht semi' a toss-up.

I'd expect Kerry to beat Limerick or Clare quite convincingly if they meet. I'm not sure how you got any of that from what I posted when I didnt mention either county.

Nope, I hate that yerrah nonsense. I try to be as honest as I can with my posts here. I may look like a clown in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure I'll be reminded of such, but Kerry Cork being a tight game with Kerry winning is what I think will happen

Cork are absolutely terrible and are blessed not to be in the Tailtean cup ye'll beat them out the gate.

• Advertisement

And that may turn out to be the case. I'll obviously have been very wrong in my assertion of it being a tight game. People can have different opinions without being called "Yerrah" or whatever, it's what makes discussion boards like this great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Galway and Roscommon haven't a hope of progressing beyond AI QF yet Derry with one decent scoring forward and finished 3rd behind those two in division 2 could reach the AI final?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think with Mayo, a lot depends on the injuries and if the injured players can recover on time.

Rob Hennelly

DIarmuid O'Connor

Oisin Mullen

Paddy Durcan

Cillian O'Connor

Those 5 should be realistically back. And would make a big addition to the team as opposed to what was out against Kerry - in place of Jack Carney, conor Loftus, Aidan O'Shea, Rory Brickenden and Rory Byrne. Wouldn't have beaten Kerry. But would have made a significant difference. If those 5 play against Galway, and assuming no more injuries between now and then, Galway will not beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A lot of hype about Derry this year and the majority of that hype seems to come from having Rory Gallagher as manager who gets a high media profile for whatever team he manages.

His championship record as manager

With Donegal in 2015, lost the Ulster final to Monaghan well beaten by Mayo in the All-Ireland quarter final

2016, lost to Tyrone in the Ulster final and well beaten by Dublin in the All-Ireland quarter final

2017, well beaten by Tyrone in the Ulster semi final and hammered out the gate by Galway in the qualifiers

2018 as Fermanagh manager and probably the best he's done thus far in management by leading them to the Ulster final however Donegal hammered them in that final and another hammering followed against Kildare in the qualifiers.

2019, Donegal eased to victory over Fermanagh in the Ulster Quarter final and Gallaghers final game as manager of them was a round 1 qualifier exit to Monaghan.

2020 as Derry manager, quarter final exit to Armagh side who was hammered by Donegal in the following game.

2021 quarter final exit to Donegal who was well beaten by Tyrone in the next game

2022 they'll likely face the defending Ulster and All Ireland champions Tyrone. The qualifiers will contain the loser of Donegal, Armagh and Mayo, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Barring injury to David Clifford, Kerry will win AI fairly handy this year. The only competition is for who they will wallop in the final... from the draw it seems to be one of (Tyrone, Monaghan, Mayo, Galway)

The only thing is that Tyrone take the year after an All Ireland win off, can you see them breaking this pattern? If they're on form then don't see much that has changed from last year, yes Kerry are better but only have a chance if David Clifford can play the full match. Galway/Monaghan would be really great for the game, but I think realistically at this stage only Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo can win it.

Kildare will probably win it now that I've shared my clever insights 😁

The championship hasn't even started and already people are calling it a "handy" win if Kerry do it. Only Kerry seem to win handy ones.

Tbf, they were favs last year too and it meant fck all when Tyrone ramped things up in Croke Park. Its great to win a league and a final in Croke Park but it might not count for a lot when it comes to crunch time.

There is no such thing as a handy all Ireland. They're hard won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Kerry only meaningful run in the championship in recent years was 2019, and even then they lost the final. So although they have looked good in the league, I wouldn't have them as overwhelming favourites for the All Ireland. Favourites yes, but far from unbeatable, particularly if Clifford picks up an injury.

Its too early to write off the Dubs, Mayo will never again win a final, but could take out a big team or two along the way, and Tyrone are always capable of putting a run together. Donegal, Armagh, Monaghan, Galway are outsiders, but it wouldn't be a major shock if they beat any the favourites at the business end of the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Just home from the pub.

ArnoldjRimmer, you contradict yourself.

What exactly are you saying ??

Kerry favourites yes. Absolutely.

The rest, still lacing their boots... when they romp home

• Advertisement

Kerry are by no means a foregone conclusion for the All Ireland this team has wilted in the face of true big match intensity the 2 times it's been faced with it Dublin replay in 2019 and Tyrone last year. If Kerry and Tyrone were level going into the last 10 minutes I'd have the mortgage on Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Kerry are favourities, but could have three tough games and they might fail short in one of these. yrone will probably lack sufficient hunger in some key game. Armagh will find it difficult to win their first Ulster game with 4 players suspended, including their best one, Ballybofey is a hard venue at best. They could trouble teams in the All Ireland series though, not enough to win it but perhaps good enough on the day to knock out someone who might win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Cavan and Tipperary are probably the most likely teams outside the League top 16 to make a provincial final. Cavan though will have a tough one to get by Donegal or Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick is more a dual county than Cork these days 😝

Why would Tipp fancy themselves over Clare and Limerick who were both playing higher divisions this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Granted Clare and Limerick are playing in higher divisions, Tipperary however are capable of giving them a good game. Lower league teams do beat higher division teams. Tipperary will fancy their chances while also being fully aware of the challenge they are up against.

It's my fault you are dead right that Tipp are the most likely outside the top 16 as Limerick and Clare are inside the top 16

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Yet the past winter in Kerry was spent murmuring about Tyrone’s ‘handy’ all Ireland and how they pulled a trick and then had only weak mayo to beat in the final.

ah Kerry, classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Watching Sligo v NY here. Sligo getting lots of it. 11 scores each 1-10 to 11 to Sligo, NY dominating since HT but can't score!

Advertisement