Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you cook a MICHELIN style menu at home

• 16-04-2022 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would it be possible, I am a good cook and there is a very good fish van where I could get the lobster not sure about the Turbot but even doing some of it is it possible in a home kitchen.

Not going to do the whole menu just some bit of it.

Sautéed asparagus tips with creamy cauliflower, quail eggs, mushrooms, fried capers and black fermented garlic cream

€ 35,-

Pike and lacquered eel from our lake with rice cream vegetables and marinated trout eggs

€ 40,-

Etic duck foie gras, with mango chutney, and bites of duck stuffed thigh

€ 90,-

Simply complex: Crab from Kamchatka, langoustine and red prawn form Mazara del Vallo, Asetra caviar

€ 70,-

Pasta

Homemade Tortellini filled with peacock breast, in peacock broth, and fava beans

€ 40,-

Carnaroli rice with pumpkin, hazelnuts and Amaretti powder

€ 35,-

Wholemeal maccheroni of drawn pasta, basil and lemon cream, wedges of artichokes and dehydrated ricotta-cheese

€ 40,-

Ravioli stuffed with creamed cod, glasswort, wild garlic and tuna bottarga

€ 40,-

Double broth, fresh vegetables, sweetbreads glazed in mizo and semolina gnocchetti

€ 40,-

Meats and Fish

Wild mallard with Périgourdine sauce, potato cream, snow peas and pack choi

€ 55,-

Thermidor lobster with glazed vegetables

€ 85,-

Turbot fried in sugar with potato mousse, steamed vegetables, and leek sauce

€ 75,-

Villa Serbelloni beef selection in two versions: tail and sirloin, white polenta cream, classic sauces and sweet and sour vegetables

€ 65,-

Desserts

Crunchy Madlen with goat cheese cream, red port, fondant pears and chestnut honey ice cream

€ 25,-

Pineapple with nitrogen frozen ice-cream and “tarocca” orange sauce

€ 35,-

Classic millefeuille with Chantilly cream scented with Sorrento lemon, raspberries and its sorbet

€ 25,-

Hot soufflé with Sambirano dark chocolate 72% Domori selection with hazelnut ice cream and its sauces

€ 30,-

Selection of cheeses

€ 25,-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭spakman

Phil Mitchell style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I cook to Michelin standard for half my home meals. I alternate with beans on toast the other days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

be too much hassle to do it like that, this is a bit of an experiment. I'm a bit wary of buying a lobster and making a mess of cooking at home considering the price.

selection of cheeses should be easy enough. 1 course done.

So no one here has ever tried cooking at that level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

One hopes your making Melba Toast with those beans 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Nope. None of that fancy crap. 2 slices of JMOB Toastie, toasted, buttered, sliced diagonally and covered in a small tin or tub of microwaved Heinz baked beans.

Edit: occasionally I’ll add some Worcestershire sauce or grated cheese. To bump it up to Michelin 2 stars.

Post edited by sam t smith on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

That's like saying have you ever tried playing football in your garden to premier League standard.

Presentation of Beans on toast doesn't need to be boring 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

Apart from the difficulty of buying a lot of those ingredients in small quantities and the fact that I don't like some so wouldn't cook them I'd give that a go if I wanted to but I don't! Lobster is vastly overrated I have always thought, much prefer crab claws. The desserts are nothing to write home about, I'd regularly have as good if not better at home for occasions, it's all in the presentation really and it's time consuming stuff if you are doing it alone.

I had a very nice meal a few weeks ago of many courses, didn't count but lot more than usual, it was in a local training centre where the chef students occasionally do meals for the public, you pay obviously but very very reasonable and it was all delicious and top class quality and presentation. Now the portions were tiny and I honestly could have ate a burger afterwards but then again I did pay less than the price of a dessert and coffee in most places!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

You can cook a single dish, maybe two to that level at home but it's awful hard. Don't forget that in a commercial kitchen Chef will delegate tasks to the lower orders. When it's just yourself in the kitchen, that style of cooking can mean two days of intensive work for one dish.

I've done it when younger, but the knees complain too much these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Exquisite presentation, enhanced with the use of crystal glass plate, sitting on what appears to be beautifully textured heat cushion. It could have achieved a Michelin star but alas, one Bean, possibly 2 seemed to have gone array and lowered expectations required to achieve coveted star status.

Good luck next year, well done, well done 😁

That ‘rogue’ bean is part of the presentation.

I've heard that excuse before unfortunately but we must adhere to the strictest standards I'm afraid 😁

On a more serious note, I actually have worked in Michelin standard restaurants, had a 30 year career in hospitality, Chef, Management, Teacher and had a restaurant in Dingle.

Gave it all up 8 years ago, got some sense 😁

Nope, bread that is toasted to perfection for beans on toast.

Hello fellow lunatic 😄 ex hotelier here who also escaped from hospitality.

It's finely and slowly caramelised slices of Bread, delicately and carefully cooked at an appropriate temperature to achieve the correct texture, crispness and color to achieve Toast 😉

• Advertisement

Hello, I had the pleasure of attending Rockwell Hotel School, if you've heard of it 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

I prefer my toast on the slightly burnt side. Plus the slicing of the bread to triangular shape is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is there any particular reason why you want to do this OP? Is it for an event.

The problem I see is that there are too many components in each dish for one person to complete - as others have said. Plus buying all the bits for every element will also cost a fortune. Y

Agree above re Lobster being over rated.

Is is very possible to home cook to a very decent Restaurant standard.

If I am honest, I would well prefer this to Michelin any day of the week.

Very cool ! @ Rockwell school.

I had to learn from me dad ☺️

Rockwell College as its commonly known as was at one time one of the Top culinary schools in Europe, also had a top Agricultural college back in the day. I recall at one time, very high end hotels, restaurants in Ireland wouldn't even talk to candidates that didn't go there. I'm originally from Dublin, living in the slieve bloom mountains for 20 years now.

It's a very changed industry and I'm glad to be out of it if I'm being honest, worked in 15 countries so at least got to see part of the world.

It's for a date night meal, the actual restaurant the menu is from a I star restaurant in Bellagio on Lake Come the setting is beautiful and you couldn't recreate it plus it's a mad price, so for a laugh, I was going to try and recreate some of it.

Honestly you can do it. It's important to choose the right ingredients and accompaniments, choose products in season and think outside the box, what do you and your guests like, not what you might think sounds great.

Michelin standard is subjective and not just about the food, Service and consistency equally important. It's more difficult to retain a star than get one.

My advice as a chef is to plan, prepare, present (The 3 P"s), Don't over complicate it and try limit the ingredients needed. Stick to what your comfortable cooking.

Equipment, utensils also important so choose a meal you can comfortably prepare with the tools you have, over ambition can lead to disappointment.

Fish needs very little cooking

If Meat, chose carefully

Vegetables, always go for what's in season, the same for fruits.

Herbs and what you used them with has to be considered carefully, wrong herb can ruin a dish.

If making any sauce, season at start, not at end.

A good Deesert crucial too

Go for it 💪

My favourite meal is Garlic & Rosemary Rack of Lamb, Duxelle stuffing, Roasted root vegetables and Boulengere potatoes,

Dessert, Banoffe Yummy. (I might add made properly and not boiling of condensed milk in a can) Ghastly and offensive) 😉

Good luck and no, I don't do house calls 😊

I looked it up because I'm from the UK.

I grew up in the industry and did it for twenty odd years of adulthood but eventually walked away without a backwards glance. I'm retired now and looking forward to moving to Ireland to grow stuff and potter with chickens 😁

Apologies, I aways and wrongly assume Boards user's based in Ireland. Rockwell still a well known boarding school. I'm semi retired at a tender 54 😁

Ireland a great place to retire too (perhaps not so great if just starting out, trying to buy a home, expense of raising a family etc. Despite all the wonderful places I worked in, always came home.

Worked in Swansea and London in my time, Swansea, just quite simply mad but in a great way , love the Welsh 😁

• Advertisement

• bet I’d poison ye quick.

You doubt yourself 😁 I reckon you'd be a dab hand at a spot of cooking, particularly baking if I recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭afatbollix

To be honest, Thinking you can buy lobster and be good at it is unrealistic.

Try pick a dish you like and try it a good few times. Remember those Michelin chefs cook the same dish day on day on day.

During lockdowns, I have perfected a few roasts, like how to get great crackling on pork.

Cooking rib of beef just enough that the fat melts and getting those roasties perfect!

My go-to main when people come over is duck breast with a red current and red wine sauce. To help with the presentation I serve everything else in bowls and let people serve themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭notAMember

As the others said, Michelin is as much about service and experience as it is about the food, so it's tricky to cook and serve and eat it without abandoning your guest. However, maybe if they help out too. :)

I'd pick these if I was trying it.

Start

Sautéed asparagus tips with creamy cauliflower, quail eggs, mushrooms, fried capers and black fermented garlic cream

You can buy most of this and assemble / heat quickly. Doable. 

OR

Etic duck foie gras, with mango chutney, and bites of duck stuffed thigh

Buy the duck pate, buy the chutney. Bites of duck I assume is some kind of duck leg appetiser? If you're going the wild mallard below, you could use some duck leg here to make crouquettes or do small portion of duck leg confit on crackers with the pate.

Pasta

Homemade Tortellini filled with peacock breast, in peacock broth, and fava beans

Buy some good filled pasta and make a broth / stock to go with it. 

OR

Wholemeal maccheroni of drawn pasta, basil and lemon cream, wedges of artichokes and dehydrated ricotta-cheese

A modification should be doable here. Drain the ricotta and let it dry a day before. basil and lemon cream sounds simple, and you can get canned artichoke hearts. They're not known as fartichokes without good reason though, so maybe sub with something else if there's intended to be romance here.

Meats and Fish

Wild mallard with Périgourdine sauce, potato cream, snow peas and pack choi

This is Duck with mushroom red-wine sauce , spuds and veg. Doable. 

OR

Turbot fried in sugar with potato mousse, steamed vegetables, and leek sauce

Turbot is easy enough to get from a fishmonger, not sure why it's fried in sugar here though. Do-able

Thermidor lobster with glazed vegetables

Way Too easy to muck up, don't do it

Desserts

Chocolate soufflé with hazelnut ice cream

Choc soufflé is doable, buy some good ice-cream

Selection of cheeses

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There must be a few cook books out there with recipes and methods written by Michelin starred chefs? Have always been meaning to give it a try myself but would imagine it take a fair time commitment. Probably not too bad if you can find dishes to prep in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Archeron

As soon as I read fava beans I went pfffffff 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hasn’t everybody ? Hell, when I was a kid I regularly played in FA Cup, European Cup and World Cup finals in the back garden. I’ll never forget that last minute winner to win the 1978 World Cup for Ireland. 😎

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There would be but they'd be recipes that have been adapted for home cooks. You aren't going to find many recipes talking about sous-vide or making foams etc.

The practicalities of doing this type of food at home would be too stressful IMO. Most people are going to have only a 4 ring hob, a limited number of pans etc, it would be very hard work. Most home cooks don't have great knife skills so you'd be chopping for hours in advance to get the neatness and evenness associated with this sort of food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've had Michelin starred dishes that were quite conventional French fine dining, and a close facsimile be might be more do-able for a very accomplished chef at home, as compared to some of the really contemporary and adventurous stuff.

For example, If you go to Michelle Roux Jnr's there's always a simple but perfect cheese souffle on the menu, for example, and the meat main is likely to be a herb-custed rack of lamb (immaculately trimmed and cooked).

However, I tend to agree that to put out a whole menu meeting that standard at home is probably more work than one person can realistically manage. If they had the time, the money, the kitchen, the budget and the skills, and chosen their menu carefully? Not impossible but yes very hard.

The first thing I thought of also is that so much prep goes in in these kitchens, to get the smallest condiments and components correct and done in advance. You wouldn't have to cook with these elements to aim at a Michelin starred standard, of course, but they're fairly common in fine dining settings.

For example, all the culinary foams, gels and whatnot that can be absolutely jam-packed with flavours. There's a bit in these small but punchy elements, I just don't see many home cooks having the patience to nail them if they're only an element in one dish on a bigger menu.

yeah Michelin starred food seems to use a lot of foams using whipped cream siphons so you'd need one of them to start. I actually have a stock of CO2 canisters to run one as I use them for 5 litre mini kegs of beer, the siphons themselves can be got for about 40-50 euro. I had a sous vide before but gave it away, it was great and all but I didnt get any discernible taste difference from other methods of cooking.

I was having a look at a few Michelin cook books on Amazon, there is quite a few about. From reading a few recipes Id say there are two main challenges for the home cook trying to replicate a dish, knife skills and actual sourcing unusual ingredients. Below is a recipe for monkfish from Arzak, a 3 star Michelin resturant in San Sebestian in Spain. It calls for 40 grams of monkfish liver in the sauce so you'd not only need to be able to fillet a monkfish very well, you've also to identify where is the liver. Im sure there are Youtube videos on it though so not impossible to find out.Or Im sure a fishmonger would do it for you, as rare as they are these days.

The other thing it calls for is edible bronze powder (0.2 grams of it), it can be found online but with Michellin cooking these specialty ingredients will pop up in most recipes so you'd have to be willing to spend a lot of money on a lot of ingredients just to use a single gram or two of them. It could get expensive pretty quickly and then you're left over with all sorts of stuff not knowing what to do with it.

Id say it is hard but not impossible for the home cook to do. But it would probably be better to start off just doing a single main course rather than diving straight in and trying to put up a 4 course meal. And then expanding from the main onto other courses with later attempts before bringing it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭phormium

Is it just me that can't stand those 'foams', all I think of when I see it is that cuckoo spit stuff from bugs you get on plants! 🤣

• Advertisement

haha I hear ya.

I think the idea of them is that the flavours are in tiny bubbles which then burst on the taste buds at the top of your mouth, its a sensory type of eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nope, I'm not a big fan of them and my wife can't stand them. I don't think they are so popular anymore, anyway.

All a bit 2005

Soneone mentioned fartychokes. It's Jerusalem artichokes that are notoriously windy, not globe artichokes that you buy hearts of.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Michelin is the taste, not the text

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Never understood why this stuff considered the "elite" of food its absolutely septic and the portions are laughable.

i mean who has ever woke up and thought... ya know what ill have today...abit of Pike and lacquered eel from our lake with rice cream vegetables and marinated trout eggs.

If i got half that shite for nothing id fire it in the bin!

bacon and cabbage 4 lyf!

Just because you don't "get" fine dining doesn't mean it's all nonsense and that others doing genuinely appreciate it and enjoy it.

Your post is extremely ignorant and is full of inverse snobbery.

I absolutely love bacon and cabbage, done well. I also really enjoy good fine dining. Your experience of food isn't universal. People have different tastes and interests.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but it seems pretty obvious that your opinions are based on prejudice, lack of experience and insecurity. It appears that you have never experienced fine dining, so your judgement of it is worthless.

Fine dining? half the stuff on the menu wouldn't have sounded out of place on fear factor as a challenge lol its a FINE price for it though no doubt.

Blah blah blah.

Really, you have no idea what you are talking about. It's just loud hot air.

Blah blah blah.

🤣 enjoy your 80 euro spoonful of fish eggs, ill leave you too it! Very elite indeed 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Not worth your time, BeerRev. Phillistines can just go on the ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I certainly wouldn't be able to do it all... maybe one or two of the dishes but I'd need to practice them a few times to get them right.

That's the reason we treat ourselves to fine dining every now and then I guess!

Regular size people never left a Michelin star restaurant hungry by the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement