Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Comerman

Two soft goals and way too many wides lost the game for kilkenny, saying that the standard of refereeing was scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looks to be an extremely limited bunch of minors. Gifted 2 goals away, weren't helped by some poor shooting. Can't see them progressing very far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You have to wonder how many years do Kilkenny have to win nothing before refs give us fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Kilkenny top the group so I think that leaves them with on paper an easier semi. If they win that they are in the AI series and in fact the round robin group with Galway and Munster Runners up is a great fine tuner.

Sounds like they had enough chances to win it and didnt get any great run off ref. The concession of goals in both matches looks to be an issue.

Dublin are always strong, especially in these early round robin matches. Wouldnt write this bunch off, they have some very good hurlers but are very young, mostly U16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭kk.man

Anyone see the senior game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

The minors gifted the dubs two goals alright.how could a Wexford ref be allowed to ref that game .Anthony Ireland Wall had a shot saved by the dubs keeper who then lay down on the ball and got a free out for it.I thought our lads missed vital scores in the second half both goal chances and points. I wouldn’t be too hard on them they will learn from this and it will improve them Don’t be so f.....g negative all the time these chaps are only 16 and 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Post edited by suirway on

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭The_Tank

Kilkenny started very slowly with a fortunate goal after a ricochet giving them a lead. They spilled ball, over elaborated and generally made heavy weather of it as a team who knew they were superior often do. Westmeath (Doyke) scored some excellent points and gave Kilkenny loads of it in defence but pucked it up to Deegan who was free more often than not. Cody had seen enough by the 25th minute and hauled Mossey ashore after a few balls going in and nothing coming. Kenny followed soon after for some mishandling in front of Cody. Also notable on the negative side was another puck out f-up which Westmeath luckily butchered. In the second half Kilkenny upped it and wore Westmeath down with the substitutes TJ went to midfield while Mullen remained in the full. Maher, Donnelly made a difference with better touch and directness and Westmeath lost a man to a second yellow. I forget the order of the goals but Wally and Billy finished from angles after lads were queing up, maher had a great finish after being put through and cleverly bounced it, and TJ again knocked it over from about a foot out. Shane Walsh came on and was very eager and showed some very nice touches (perhaps too unselfish) which was great to see. He looked like he has the bit between his teeth. Overall Kilkenny did what they needed, always knew they had about 3gears in them but did at times look a little bit agricultural against a game but very limited team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Westmeath were well up for it but we were slow to get going but really it was a no win match for us. The galway match In two weeks will be a much better test but laois unlucky not to get a draw today and galway absolutely threw that match away. I'm far from impressed with galway. Hopefully Shane Walsh might get a start next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭suirway

Wexford getting the draw could prove important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

If Kilkenny had won or drew Wexford were into the semi final so don't really get the point about a Wexford ref. Its actually Dublin who should have been unhappy pre match about a Wexford ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

well a ref from a participating county is a bit ridiculous don’t you think,there is another 9 counties to have picking a ref from.

Well the point posters were making was that he was very biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

Good to get a comprehensive win from the game yesterday but hard to know what to take from the match. We seemed nervy for the first 20/25 mins, a lot of unforced errors, matched with Westmeath tenacity and some super shooting, they were deservedly 4 ahead. We seemed to be very focused on getting goals early on when points were there for the taking and would have settled us better. Deegans distribution was very hit and miss, he's some man to win a dirty ball but not for looking up when when hitting it. He improved as the game went on.

Careys goal seemed to settle us, which coincided with Mossy been replaced with Donnelly - for me he has to be a starter. On Carey, he was excellent yesterday, turning up all over the field, strong as a horse, pace to burn, he'll be important for us - I thought it was a harsh yellow against him but he had given away 3 frees at that stage so possibly it was for persistent fouling. Mikey Butler was solid again, David Blanchfield was good without being brilliant. It was great to see Conor Browne getting a run out too, good reader of the game, big unit, and well able to move. Shane Walsh was impressive for the 5 or 6 minutes he was on, he should have buried that ball, but very unselfishly passed it, he seems like a lad that'd be a nightmare to mark, doesn't stop moving.

Realistically, it was never a game we were going to lose. We'll need an improvement next week. A game we should also win but Laois will be no pushover.

I agree but Dublin were as entitled to be as annoyed about that as yourselves.

If he was poor fair enough but to suggest a Wexford referee would hamper Kilkenny when a Kilkenny win or draw would have suited Wexford doesn't make sense.

If my calculations are correct, had Kilkenny lost by 10+, Wexford would have qualified. I'm not suggesting that the ref set out to influence the result but he was very biased and Dublin were heading for a big win at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Limerick will walk to another All Ireland. No-one near good enough to beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

The biggest thing from limericks match today is that they just wore Cork down with their physicality. The amount of times they dispossessed corks running game was unbelievable. They surround the runners and every challenge is a big hit. Of course they have excellent hurlers but whoever is going to beat Limerick will have to match their physicality. No mean feat

• Advertisement

Agreed. They knock the stuffing out of the opposition in the first half and then march on.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Did Brian Cody miss the bus yesterday see him driving into the car park in Mullingar yesterday or is that the way he travels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I actually think the only team that will beat them is KK. I'm not saying KK are the best other team. But I do think its just a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I know in Limerick ,Kilkenny are considered the threat. It goes back to the 1930s when Kilkenny won a few All Irelands against that great Limerick team. Now it's a big ask but Kilkenny would be cute and take their chances but I dunno...Its a big ask.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I think the only reason the can beat them is physical. I think Limerick can easily deal with the Cork and Waterford to a lesser extent. But KK is a different prospect. Now i think KK wont win an AL but in a one off they might turn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

It’s hard to believe that a poster on this thread recently said that Cork are the benchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Think he forgot his ‘hair drier’ and had to rush back to his gaff for it just before he was to get on the bus…😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I said it after the cork game and I'll say it again we were and are well capable of beating that cork team. In fact if we had our conditioning right and used our full complement of subs we have plenty of capable hurlers with more stomach for the fight than cork. Our management need to get it right not sure they can though. Don't think Brian Cody can change his ways now unfortunately. I'll still be roaring on our lads and in a one off game could win against anyone we just won't make it to the final this year. As for cork they will win nothing until they add real steel to the running tippy tappy game that they play. The cork senior hurling championship is producing nice hurlers with pace but they have very little physicality and it's costing them at county level.

• Advertisement

Advertisement