Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked Out Of Google Account - No Access To Old Phone Number - Please Help

Options
  • 17-04-2022 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Any help or advice here would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to buy an audiobook on Audible this morning, but couldn't remember my Google account password (you purchase through Google Play), so had to reset it. This then signed me out of all apps/devices etc.

I tried to sign back in, to anything, with my Google account (Gmail, Photos etc), but it requires 2 factor authentication, which I normally just approve on my phone.

However, when I enter my password, and trigger the notification to be sent to my phone, the notification never comes, presumably because the earlier process signed me out of all Google services on my phone.

The second option (Try Another Way), would send a text message confirmation to a phone number. However, the phone number they have is an old work number from a job I left before Christmas. The number is no longer active.

So now, I have my email address and correct password, but no way of completing the 2 factor authentication and I'm going in circles. I've spent a long time online, but cannot find a resolution, or a way of contacting Google for help.

Does anyone know how I could resolve this, or even log a ticket with Google?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Thank you very much for your reply @smuggler.ie

Unfortunately, there are no recommended steps that cater for my situation at the Support Page.

On the Community Forum, you need to be logged in to create a post, which is not possible for me, unfortunately.

Bit of panic stations here at the moment considering there's over a decade of family photos, data backup, emails etc.

If anyone knows of a process where you can actually speak to a Customer Support Agent, or log a ticket, please let me know. I can't find any mention of that service online.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I think there use to be support bot once signed in, and if you several times state "your issue was not resolved" it would redirect you to the live person chat. Hope this not changed since.

Create new G account and sign in. Link your phone to account (just in case 😏). Even your locked mail account as an alternative, if you like.

Go to support bot processes and if you lucky to get to person, inquire about locked account. There will be ton of security questions (last action on account, last sent mail, last received mail, number that it was tied to, etc., etc)

This new account can also be used for Community Forum

Hope it will work for you.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Same thing happened to me recently and they asked for a recovery e mail address. I used my brothers and they sent him a password which meant I could go back online with them. It took 2 days though.

Thank you for your reply.

I was able to trigger this process and used my work email address. However, they emailed me later that day saying that my Account Recovery was cancelled because my account is being used on a device and I should reset the password from the device I've signed in on?

But any device I've checked will not allow me in to an Google service. It just tells me that I need to sign in again, which I can't?

• Advertisement

Thank you again for your help.

I've made a little progress, but not there yet. Will certainly take your steps above if my current account recovery process doesn't work. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Quick update in the hope that it is useful for someone else.

I was finally able to get back into my Google account 😬

As discussed above, I was able to use the process where you provide a second email address to trigger the account unlock. It takes 48 hours.

To trigger this service, I believe you must attempt the account recovery on a device you normally use, in a location from which you usually log in. When you continue clicking 'Try Another Way' for the 2 Step Verification, eventually it will ask you for another email address.

However, it took me 3 attempts over 4 days, as their service kept detecting I was logged in on other devices, and cancelled the recovery, thinking I had successfully logged in. So, I had to log out of all web browsers, phones and smart TVs, before eventually it completed the 48 hour delay and allowed me back in.

Thank you all for your help 🙏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Glad it worked out. Definitely not a nice situation to be in.

Advertisement