Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Ireland might as well join Nato, since Russia likely has placed the country on their hit list. Cannot be neutral when you have taken a hostile position against Russia. The Irish leaders have taken this stance (they feel is right) in that case, here Irish citizens who disagree will have a chance to tell them their wrong ( at the next election) I don’t have any figures of what every Irish person thinks here about joining Nato, the real point is the Irish government has joined a western axis of assistance for Ukraine.

Russia's ballistic missile command under orders reprogram a few essential nuclear missiles to hit the Island of Ireland? Take a bit of work on their side. Would they bother doing it?

Countries in the west provide the logistics to help Ukraine fight Russia. Ukraine is not alone here. Essentially, a Nato war now.

Russia so far tolerated the arms supplies to an extent, but the more heavily advanced equipment they give Ukraine, the higher the risk and move closer to nuclear escalation. Do you really want to gamble Putin will back down if we gave Ukraine better weapons? The man attacked more of Ukraine to keep Nato away from Ukraine. Putin's army not going to leave Ukraine “ever” till he perceives the country in the sphere of Russia. Anything less than this aim is a humiliation  

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Russia maybe have tolerated arms supply because they have no choice. You are speaking as if they are the only one's with nuclear weapons. I mean if they launch a nuclear attack, they will be wiped off the face of the earth, so its not really a choice Putin can make either.

Ukraine is the one country Putin would consider launching nuclear weapons for. How will the west protect itself from submarine launches or hypersonic nuclear-tipped launches? There are no defensive weapons in the western allied arsenal that can stop a hypersonic ballistic missile from reaching its target in the west.

Got to remember Crimea is part of Russia

Ukraine was to win the war in the east and south, by some miracle the threat to Crimea is existential then. Russia may go nuclear to stop the Ukraine army from advancing. I don't think get that to this stage. Russia has the military might to conquer Ukraine but will require a full declaration of war to do it.

Not enough military-aged men on the Russian side inside Ukraine to conquer it all from north to the west. Full mobilization could see millions of men crossing the border, Ukraine's army could not stop that kind of force. Taking over Ukraine would be a long-term project and nobody was sure that Putin goal. Think he would like the government to be replaced a more Russian friendly one but thats a different position.

Thats a flawed logic because the west is in ruins anyway after missiles are launched, Putin knows what firing nuclear missiles means here for the world.

Started giving Ukraine modern tanks, artillery anti-air, aircraft, then Russia would be forced to take them out and that couldn’t kick it all off.;

I don’t want WW3 over Ukraine that’s nuts, some people on this site seem to want to go there. Have e you got no future want that kind of war? What kind of life must you be living to want WW3 over this? Get out and check the scenery do want all that gone?

For me the calculation is very simple. If Russia does not use nukes, nukes will not be used against it, if it does use nukes, nukes will be used against Russia, therefore if Putin is rational he will never use Nukes. The question is, is he rational? I am sure Russia could devastate some western cities but so what, mutually assured destruction still stands, it is irrational. Ukraine is not an existential threat to Moscow. If he wanted an existential threat he would fire a nuke, otherwise no existential threat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ukraine is the one country Putin would consider launching nuclear weapons for. How will the west protect itself from submarine launches or hypersonic nuclear-tipped launches? There are no defensive weapons in the western allied arsenal that can stop a hypersonic ballistic missile from reaching its target in the west.

The defence against those weapons is that you can launch enough straight back at them to wipe them out multiple times over. It really doesn't matter that you can't hit back at the sub which lauched the missiles or hit them in flight. That's not the point of having nuclear weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

Most of NATO's members do not spend 2% of gdp on defense. Ireland was spending 1.5% as recently as the early 1980's and IMHO we should gradually increase our currently military spending from its current 0.3% till we get back to that 1.5%. My preference is to see us join a likely EU defense force and end our current military neutrality as the EU is where we are and where our futire lies.

Rational thinking went out the window Putin is engaged in a new war against the state of Ukraine. The only outcome that will be acceptable for them is a win.

This is not Putin, but Russia’s state thinking.

Russia would only use nuclear weapons in the context of the Ukraine conflict if it were facing an “existential threat,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told CNN International Tuesday.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220322-russia-would-only-use-nuclear-weapons-faced-with-existential-threat-kremlin

Donbas Lugansk and Crimea before the new war got supported by the Russian state,

Crimea belongs formally to Russia ( Russian opinion). Ukraine attacked Crimea is this not an existential threat?

What happens if the weapons provided could change the course of the war? logistics are legitimate targets if used to supply your enemy remember.

An existential threat, is a threat that could end the existence of Russia as a country, not Crimea or any other region they claim as their territory. We also have to remember that this is just a russian statement, it holds little value, it is the world as they would like it to be but it is not reality. When it comes down to it, are they willing to end the existence of Moscow because of a Ukrainian attack on Crimea? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Who's going to be in this EU defence force when everyone except Ireland and Austria are in Nato (in a couple of months)? Seems it's even less likely to happen than it has been before. And what is Ireland going to contribute to it? Might as well stay neutral then.

Yes, we should join NATO. If for nothing else to help other democratic nations in greater danger than ourselves. Our geographical location would be useful, obviously we don't yet have decently funded defense forces. I'm dead set against an EU army, led by donkeys, sorry, Germany & France, no thanks.

• Advertisement

The problem is Russia has already launched unless you doing the preemptive attack. It only takes seconds to release them. There is very little chance of stopping the devastation. We know want war between the United States vs Russia means. The fact some people want that kind of war says something does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Most of the idiots calling for us to join NATO or any military alliance would soil themselves if they were sent to war.

I dont fancy sending me son or daughter to war which would have zero bearing on Irish sovereignty

I think that nobody wants such a war, that's why I'm confident it will never happen.

The EU member states would be in the EU defense force. NATO has non European nations in it and I think it is important for the EU to have its own defense capabilities so that it can react to situations that are more focused on concerns or issues that could arise for the EU. Just because we are a small nation does not mean we can not contribute. Maybe going for a more niche contribution. So for example given we are an island we could focus on upgrading our naval and coastal capabilities.

As for being neutral we are not neutral in general. We are only militarily neutral and IMHO I think we should end that. Clearly you believe differently and that is one of the beauties of us living in a free and open society.

You haven't explained why you think we should end military neutrality?

Russian army inside Ukraine fighting to accomplish its aims and goals.. Russia warned Ukraine and the west over the Ukraine issue and did we ignore their concerns and warnings?. Do you really want to take this gamble that Putin would not use nuclear weapons to defend Crimea? Nuclear war is a warning, Russia warning tends to become real. .

I don't see an Afghanistan pull out here that seems unlikely, i think Ukraine will be crushed here even if weakens Russian power economically. .

It swings both ways, does Putin want to gamble that the US wont kill millions of russians if he launches nukes?

Neither side are going to break that deadlock, its absolutely irrational.

Putin trying to scare people with badly veiled threats doesnt change that, just makes him look desperate.

True, swings both ways.. He knows exactly what happens to Russia, that’s not the point. 

It is a win or accept Nato inside Ukraine? I don't know call me crazy, Russia is unlikely to accept it lost the Ukraine war to Nato. With the current leadership in Russia, they must win at all costs? Do you think differently? 

I don't want to play the chicken game do you with Putin? Russia accepted states like Poland and others in the east are now members of Nato. They may not like it but they have accepted it. 

Warnings were given over Ukraine and the west failed to listen. What happened there is horrible but it was evitable. I know people can’t accept that with their Ukraine flags now but Russia will bring Ukraine into its sphere of influence here and after that, we got to address our relationship with Russia for the good of everyone. 

Want a Nato war with Russia, bringing us all down with ye for what? to prove a point? There are established treaties that Nato has, Putin, is aware of them. Ukraine, not a member acting as if it was? 

I would say a risk for Ireland would be a country like Russia annexing a portion of Ireland for military use, as they did in Ukraine. Ireland would have huge strategic importance for Russia. And they could also use they dont intefere with us card or we will use our nuclear weapons. Russia now is unpredictable and we should prepare for the worst. I mean even Iceland are part of Nato.

Also on the topic of reducing the Irish defence budget over the years. This should be considered treason. Russian corruption in Ukraine did the same over the years. A minimum budget should be set, with increasing amounts over the coming years until we qualify for Nato. The benefits of been in Nato means we would not need to buy expensive equipment like jets. I think relying on the goodwill of our neighbours for protection is careless and naive. The best attacks in war come by surprise. Ukraine had security assurances from Russia on its soverentiy (Budapest Memorandum), see how well that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

here's the thing.... you don't have to

you can contribute to the NATO force without fielding soldiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The only thing that would protect us if we were to go it alone would be a massive fleet of fighter jets, missile defense system, a large navy and nuclear weapons.

We would need an army the size of Ukraine's. And even they didn't have enough, considering weaponry is pouring into the country every day.

There's no point in having 5-10 fighter jets. They'll last about 5 minutes in a war, as they'll be blown up from a missile attack.

I don't think anybody is talking about ending military neutrality and just going it alone.

I think we should end military neutrality as we are and our future lies as part of the EU and as we have a clear stance and position on being a free and open society that believes in democracy and stands on that side in a wider sense. I believe that as part of the EU that we have obligations and duties to be part of the defense of those beliefs and principles as well as reaping the benefits that we have and continue to accrue due to our EU membership. That is why in terms of joining a military alliance I favour first joining a future EU defense force as well as upping our defense spending gradually until we get to 1.5% of our gdp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Our neutrality is poorly defined. Our politicians cannot articulate it accurately. Therefore, how is any potential enemy state supposed to understand it.

For example, we are showing ourselves to be far from neutral in this current conflict. Ask the Russian Ambassador if he considers us neutral.

Switzerland is neutral but armed to the teeth.

I would say we have been quite clear. We are not neutral in this conflict and An Taoiseach has said so. We are neutral militarily yes but not otherwise. That is the countries current position. Personally I favour dropping our current military neutral status as well but that is not where we are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

Unfortunately Germany and France have shown they have no one else's interests at heart other than their own so relying on either of these to anchor an EU force is pure folly. Both would sell everyone else down the river if it was likely to cost them in any way.

The attitude both have shown since Russia has invaded Ukraine has been far from what it should be no question. I still support however the idea of having an EU defense force organised and Ireland being part of said forces. Currently we are also being selfish in refusing to contribute in any way at all from a military standpoint to the defense and security of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

I was originally of the opinion we should join an EU army but the actions of those two have been so disgusting and seeing their actions throughout the financial crisis I no longer think that an EU army is worth joining. Throw our lot in with NATO. I'd certainly expect the yanks would be far faster to assist us if it were needed than the Germans or French.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

The fact Finland and particularly Sweden, who are big contributors to the EU battlegroup already, have determined that joining NATO is a better option speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Do you see how utterly confused that stance is? We are not neutral in the war but we are neutral 'militarily'? Whats does that mean? We are against you but we wont defend ourselves if you attack us?

That's the same as Putin's "not an invasion, just a special military exercise". Bullsh1t.

We can call it whatever we like but that does not mean anyone will respect our nuanced position, especially any future invader who we can assume will not be nice to us just because we are Irish and everyone's friend.

To my mind we have the following choices:

1. Be completely and fully neutral - do not take any stance in support of NATO, Ukraine or any other aligned nations. Thats means zero criticism of Russia.
    2. Be fully neutral and protect that neutral stance with sufficient military capability to deter invasion (Switzerland model)
    3. Drop the neutral stance and align with any EU military defence strategy while building up our military capability to a reasonable level
    4. Join NATO and fully align militarily

We need to choose - we just cant pretend we have a strategy when we don't. Do we have any reason to believe NATO would defend us from attack at the moment? They are not defending Ukraine, so why would they defend us?

Advertisement