Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallace and Daly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

@MFPM

Given the pair penchant for expensive High Court cases for defamation, I expect we'll see another one given that the journalist has claimed, untruthfully according to you, that CD tried to have her access removed.

Do you think we'll see it? High Court cases aren't cheap but sometimes people might have access to external backers (maintenance is technically not allowed but I'm sure it happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭MFPM

How many High Court cases for defamation have they taken?

BTW, Yurt2, did you get your Nato bonus this month? Mine didn't come in yet. I hit over 400 posts on various media sites so I'm expecting a big one this month. They have been slow enough on paying though. I might switch to the other side if they don't get more reliable.

The pay is probably better on the other side and I would get a few trips away too. And a bit of media exposure on Russian and Chinese TV. Will just have to wait til the next elections for MEPs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Check out the level of bluff here. Stop pretending you have a bean about the media accreditation procedures for EU institutions. You pulled out a random rule relating to *parliamentary procedures* in a frantic act of google-fu, try to pass it off as accreditation guidelines and think people will buy the bluff.

Whatever high stool you hold court in might be mesmerised by nonsense like that, but you've hit a wall here.

Barry Andrews MEP, Alan Shatter, Leo Varadkar...shall I go on?

• Advertisement

Oh no Yurt2 I know exactly what I'm talking about, no bluff whatsoever, you on the other hand offer nothing but ignorant abuse...

Someone should have a word with you and Naomi about the trade, economic, diplomatic and political relationship the Irish gov has with 'authoritarian' states such as China, apparently Chinese state media even carried Micheal Martin yesterday....shhhh, on second thoughts maybe don't tell Naomi, she'll be very confused by all that!!

Night, night now 🤣🤣🤣

Your attitude is really weird.

You support two quislings who are happy to go over to dubious regimes and be given a platform to enforce and legitimize the propaganda of those regimes against Europe and European Nations and people.

And then you complain when their own writings and the media appearances of them doing those things in foreign media, are shown over here.

Last time I'm responding to you posting in this dishonest manner..

1. Daly and Wallace are not responsible for how their speeches are used or exploited.

2. I've made no complaint about thier appearances being shown, they've never tried to hide them, Naomi done a lexisnexus search and passed it off as 'investigative journalism'. I've complained about the spin that has been put on it...

As for dubious regimes...the Irish government have no issue with them thus the economic, diplomatic, political relationships with China, Qatar, the mass murdering Saudi's, and Russia before the war...so spare me the sanctimonious lecture and Naomi would benefit from the same.

• Advertisement

Lol.

De gubbermint maintain diplomatic relations, as they are required to do, therefore it is fine for someone to go over there and reinforce dodgy regime propaganda against us?

Dishonesty is right.

Absolutely embarrassing. You quote a nebulous rule from the procedures regulating the European parliament *members*.

If there's anything worse than profound ignorance, it's arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Worrying amount of people who's main gripe with Wallace and Daly is that they are making Ireland look bad, not their actual views.

I really hate how Irish people will do anything to be validated by foreigners. Why do we care so much how others view us?

You can smell the embarrassment of people with Wallace and Daly being Irish. I've seen Irish people on other forums desperately try and convince other foreigners that they are seen as nutjobs and don't represent the Irish people.

Required to maintain mutual economic investment, ignore mass murder???

Dishonest doesn't come close to describing your post...

That is because they don't represent the Irish people. I'm sure a few nutjobs might agree with them. But they don't represent the views of the nation by any stretch of the imagination.

It's perfectly fine for you to admit that you've no idea of the rules, that I know what I'm talking about. Just take the learning and in future know your facts before engaging.

Just like you, in a pluralistic democracy, Wallace and Daly are perfectly entitled to their whackjob views, and they're even perfectly entitled to be fascist apologists as long as they stay between the ditches legally.

The anger comes from hoodwinking the people of their constituency in abusing their mandate and attempting to blacklist journalists. While they had their boilerplate anti establishment schtick in the Oireachtas, if you had told people they would go this far off the reservation fellating autocrats the world over with their MEP credentials, they would have ended up close to the bottom of the poll along with other fringe cranks.

They'll learn all about it the next election cycle.

You don't have a bean, you're embarrassing yourself.

The rule you posted is referring to parliamentary procedure for the Bureau, membership of which consists of exclusively of MEPs. It has fanny all to do with press accreditation.

I've read some bluff on this forum, and you're right at the top of the pile.

You made a complete show of yourself on the Russia thread, and you're repeating it here.

Still shrilling Yurt2...As i said take the learning, accept you've no idea what you're talking about! Now, haven't you some Saudi bombing to cheer on that your NATO heros are financing?

You clearly didn't read thier manifesto, I saw Wallace have a good laugh at NATO tools like yourself recently on this very point.

Interesting that you've no issue with journalists alledgly breaking the rules of their work place, do you apply that across the board or is it only when politicians you don't like are at play.

• Advertisement

Man, you've really fallen for their shtick. All they do is create an artificial bogeyman and then sure they just blame everything on that bogeyman. Any criticism against them will be responded to with claims about that bogeyman.

Not too far from their hero/master the Putster heading into Ukraine on a glorious mission to save its repressed people from drug addicted Nazis.

A complaint being lodged and a journalist hearing about it seems pretty normal to me. Meanwhile you've claimed there's an investigation into her under a rule she could not possibly have violated.... The reality is they tried to prevent the press from doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not very from each according to his abilities and to each according to to his needs of you there MFPM if you are the expert on all the procedures for journalists in the European Parliament, and appear to be claiming inside information beyond what is in the article. Fair enough if you don't want to say more and identify yourself or some such so forget it.

I don't watch RT on the regular as I don't want to catch some brain-worms, and I don't use twitter either. If the journalist is looking into Wallace and Daly, why is she obliged to announce all Irish politicians appearing on RT rather than just your 2 heros? If there's a "plethora" you know of from watching RT, and if they are also currently elected Irish politicians of the level of Wallace and Daly (i.e. the current TDs, senators, other MEPs) then go to effort of telling us some of them without the cryptic weasel words.

Or else just say "do your own research" (again) + leave little to work with I suppose. Whatever.

edit: Missed the reply to Yurt2 where you'd named 3 and only noticed it when he/she replied back to you. I am kinda doubtful. Wonder are you referring to "appearances" (?) where RT were covering events involving them (along with the other, more normal, media). If so, not wrong...but a bit disingenuous/dishonest as one might say.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Andrews, Varadkar etc made appearences on RT acting as grape feeders to Putin like Wallace and Daly? Like f*ck they did.

More bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whether they do or they don't, they tried, which is damning.

As for "her only goal is to damage you" you will have to provide evidence for this claim. The definition of journalism is publishing something someone else would rather you didn't. If what W+D get up to on the international stage damages them in the eyes of Irish voters that is entirely the fault of W+D.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@MFPM do not post in this thread again, you seem incapable of making your points without including some personal abuse in nearly every post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I appreciate most people swallow the horseshit on RTE and BBC and believe the news is fact, but seriously, don’t start regurgitating it online as if you know what you’re talking about. You know who you are.

Here’s a pretty convincing argument from Professor John Mearsheimer who knows a thing or two about the subject matter and which flies in the face of what we’re lead to believe.

https://youtu.be/JrMiSQAGOS4

Watch that and tell me why Wallace and Daly don’t have a point, be interesting to hear. The two representatives we can safely say who aren’t being lobbied by the arms industry directly or indirectly strangely enough. I have read numerous peer reviewed articles which back this professors view, yet I’m finding it hard to find a contrary stance other than in the rags and mainstream news. I’m not a fan of either or any politician for that matter, but facts trump lies and disinformation, and if anyone has previous for that during a war, it’s western leaders and media. Yet here we go again.

There are a few pages now of the same posters shouting others down with little or no facts, just what it says in the paper. What do you think of this professors opinion? It’s the same as Daly and Wallace, are you saying he doesn’t know what he’s taking about?

For the record, explaining is not condoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,715 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

🙄

Professors get things wrong all the time, it's actually how science advances.

As you say this is just this guy's opinion and putting weight on an opinion just because of who holds it is a classic appeal to authority fallacy.

Did Dolores Cahill's ravings become any more or less credible after she lost her academic post? No, they were always nuts.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Mearsheimer is all over the place with Ukraine - he's gone from advocating (in the early 90s) that the US should encourage Ukraine to retain and develop their own nuclear deterrent to stave off a future Russian invasion, to giving Putin a free pass on Crimea and Donbas because of some nebulous sense that the West was responsible and it was a whoopsidasiydoodle from the Kremlin to invade in 2014. He even refuses to use the word 'imperialism' when talking about Russian irredentism. That's doctrinaire bullsh*t if there ever was one.

He's very much a minority voice (along with Chomsky who has turned into a parody of himself) in American IR academia, and he's lost a lot of respect within it for furrow he's ploughing with Ukraine. For a very long time, academics like Mearsheimer and Chomsky have a contrarian presumption of malfeasance with regard to American foreign policy and whatever orientation the State Department has at the time. Had he been around after the end of WW2, he likely would have been crowing that the Marshall Plan which helped turn Western Europe from the ashes back to economic stability was some sort of finger in the eye to the USSR and ought not to be done; that the US should not have intervened in Korea and let the South roll over and die.

The bedrock of the post-war settlement in Europe has been that states choose their economic partnerships and military alliances as they see fit. The USSR and laterally Russia has always hated that compact, as it has consistently offered a sh*ttier deal and has never ever shook its imperial mindset. Ask a Pole, a Ukrainian, an Estonian - they're alive to what Russia is about. It's time we started listening to them more, and less to musky contrarians whose time has passed with tenure in American universities.

It's a thin intellectual veneer for the likes of Wallace and Daly, and one that gives far too much credence to the bitter soul of Russian nationalism and an impulsive imperial mindset that has long since had its day.

So, to circle back, do Wallace and Daly have a point? Only if you want to give an autocrat a backrub and take what he says at face value instead of what he does. If you want to believe that NATO's security guarantees and its record are more dangerous than the only country that has tried to change European borders by force since Hitler, then they have a point.

I, like most people, think they are full of sh*t and are an embarrassment to themselves first of all, and an embarrassment to the people who were naive enough to vote for them in the second instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Wallace and Daly are 2 MEPs.

What do we have? 13 MEPs and 2 of them are nutjobs.

And like it or not, they do represent Irish people.

I suppose the Healy Raes don't represent Kerry people because we don't like or agree with them?

Advertisement