Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Also I learned today Jota real name is Diogo Silva,

He even had Silva on his jersey at Wolves,His middle name Jose & with Jota being the pronunciation for J in Portuguese,

J (Jota) was his nickname growing up so thats why he put it on his jersey as he thought Silva was to common to stand out

How many times have you called thaigo useless and not good enough this season alone your posts are so bipolar you chance your mind more times during one five minute period of a game of football than the average person does in a lifetime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Thiago bas been insanely good this season. I’d actually argue he is in a small group of our key playeras now: Allison, VVD, Trent, Fabiniho, Thiago. All the others are rotatable (yes, even Salah) but these players offer something unique.

Iv never said he's not good enough?

I said he was a waste when he was injured, He'd missed Chelseax 3, City, United,

When fit he's an incredible player iv never said otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Chelsea goal....only watching the last few mins but they seem well on top

They have been fairly poor. Didn’t look like scoring really until the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Yeah this game is over, they are suffocating Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 nil. Chelsea again it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very harsh on Kyrgiakos - The Greek was a really solid signing as 4th choice CB, and did better than expected. Became more of a cult hero for being a big no-nonsense fella who looked like a madman, often being thrown up front late on, and scoring a few big goals.

Chelsea will be tough 3 draws already against them this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Looks like a another tough match in the final against Chelsea, we've played them 2 times this season and haven't beaten them yet (haven't forgotten league cup, but, that was on penalties). They had the better chances in the league cup and were probably unlucky not to win it, was it also this season where we played most of the match at Anfield against 10 men and still couldn't find a way to beat them. Would definitely have preferred Palace getting through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

At least with Chelsea there is no unexpected performance boost when facing a lesser side like Palace in a final. We know Chelsea, and have played them at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A replay of the 2012 FA Cup final hopefully with a different result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've a soft spot for Razor. I was in a pub once and we were three nil down to Utd, full of Utd fans, I was drunk. When he scored the equaliser I was at the bar, I turned to the room and said stuff, loudly! I genuinely don't believe how I got out of the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

We could certainly do without that final going 120 minutes and pens at that stage of the season.

Ruddock and Clough twice if memory serves. Was a great comeback that. Back then taking a point off them was a small crumb of comfort considering how crap we were in comparison. Great that the tables have finally turned!

Inside Wembely

Love that Mane still uses wired earphones non of this hi-teck wireless ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ruddock's equalizing hedder felt like a winner all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

These really are great days to be a Liverpool fan. What a fantastic team. There are little bits here and there we can pick at, but they really are a brilliant group of players that should be enjoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can people not let it go? Just last week folk were spouting the same and I pointed out that fans are entitled to criticise poor performances as much as laud the good ones. They were raving about him last Saturday and he promptly had a horror game against City in the league on Sunday. He has his moments but he also has his flaws, just like everyone from Salah to Karius. It doesn't mean that someone is right or wrong, we can all have different opinions of different players on here. It doesn't make anyone less of a fan for preferring one player over another, or seeing things differently to everyone else. But the constant berating of those who don't bow down before Thiago is getting tiring. We get it. Some of you love him. I don't, but I still get behind him every time he pulls on the red shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Again I see the situation with us and United getting reversed here. Souness was looking backwards trying to get hardmen like when he played. We paid big money for Dicks and he wasn't good enough. United went off and signed little known Denis Irwin who was first choice for about 10 years.

Now, United were looking backwards with Ole, "lets get back to what worked before" and they overpaid 50mil for Wan Bissaka, who from the United thread fans say is not good enough.

While roughly the same time Liverpool go and spend 8mill on little known Andy Robertson, were laughed at, and who hopefully will be a 10 year legend as well.

Then there was Ruddock, Babb, Scales and plenty of others who could be like Maguire while United seem to hit home runs again with Bruce, Pallister, Stam, Rio, Vidic etc and now we are hitting home runs with Matip, VVD and Konate.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Ali’s header was the catalyst for all of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Anyone who says Karius had any decent performances didn't watch much Liverpool games. For me he's klopps biggest mistake by a country mile. Mignolet wasn't good enough but he was twice the keeper that Karius was.

Id agree with everything else but anyone who has anything good to say about Karius is just wrong.

That's total hyperbole. He wasn't brilliant, but he had plenty of grand games. Go back and look at the thread here at the time sure, the general consensus was that Karius was deservedly number 1 going into the end of the 17/18 season. Like, him being picked to start the CL final just wasn't a controversial choice. It turned into a total train wreck, but that doesn't change his many perfectly adequate performances before that.

I don't even think it was a mistake to buy him as a young cheap prospect - the mistake was him being bought to replace Mignolet, when he should have been bought as backup to another new high quality keeper.

• Advertisement

I think when it came down to it both Karius and Mignolet weren't good enough, Klopp obviously never fancied Mignolet, which Mignolet knew and this would have affected his performances, for me Karius wasn't really an improvement it was a case that Klopp had completely lost faith with Mignolet and Karius was the only option and he stuck with him hoping he would come good and grow into the role, which he never did, Karius also benefited by playing most of that season behind VVD, Mignolet rarely if ever played with VVD in front of him, that's a significant difference. I remember coming up to the January window when VVD signed there was also rumours we'd sign a keeper (Alissons' name was mentioned along with others) as it was clear the goalkeeper position was a problem.

When VVD signed, we improved defensively significantly, and we conceded less chances, so the goalkeeper problem seemed to have improved, but, it hadn't really, we were just defending better and conceded less chances. I remember at that time any half decent chance we conceded still seemed to end up in a goal as Karius rarely seemed to make any decent save, that's even before the CL debacle is even considered.

The CL semi final was the biggest red flag for me, in the home leg we were in a really dominant position and he conceded 2 very soft goals to give Roma hope and in the away leg he was an absolute liability and almost single handedly let Roma complete an amazing comeback, for that display alone he really should have been dropped. I think what was really telling is that after the CL final, he was left pretty much on his own, none of the other lads seemed to bother consoling him, can you imagine them doing that with either Alisson, Kelleher or even Adrian (who has made similar mistakes) now. Klopp also pretty much cut his ties with him since, (ironically keeping Mignolet as backup to Alisson next season) compare that with Adrian who despite making costly mistakes still seems to be popular within the squad and with Klopp. I think his attitude was always poor, always blaming the defence after conceding soft goals he could have saved, he has had plenty of time to recover from the CL debacle but, has proven he just isn't up to it.

Yup, neither good enough to start, both good enough to be backup. But for someone to say he literally didn't have a single decent performance is mad. Had plenty of em. He's a bog-standard average keeper with an occasional clanger in him, not the anti-christ.

I'm not sure the comparison with treatment of other keepers after mistakes and Karius is fair though - he cost the club a champions league. That's a million times harder to get over than anything Adrian has done - and a backup making a mistake is always easier to take than your main guy, because you're sort of prepared for it (like Adrian's terrible Atleti performance). I think everyone involved pretty much knew there was no coming back from that final with the fans. Like, he'd have been a grand backup instead of ever even buying Adrian, but the stigma attached to that final match was just too much to get over, and it was so big as to never ever be forgotten. It was better for everyone involved - very much including himself - for him to be far away from Liverpool.

I actually agree, as a back up he probably would have been fine, I think he was no better than Mignolet ( in fact I think he was slightly worse), but, Klopp decided to back him hoping he'd come good , but, it spectacularly backfired. I wasn't really surprised he cost us the final and remember leading up to the match I was hoping Mignolet would get the nod as despite his failings, he came across more grounded than Karius who just has no presence as a keeper. I think what really reflects so poorly on him is his reaction since, hasn't been great, hasn't done anything of note on his loan spells and refusing to leave when no longer part of plans, it's almost 4 years since the CL final and he is still no where closer to getting his career back on track, that's on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Red flag...2 soft goals lol, you remember one was a penalty right?

Anyway hope you are enjoying the season. As one of the more negative posters on here thankfully your season predictions haven't come to pass.

I stand corrected, had forgotten one was a penalty, still doesn't change the fact he was a desperate goalkeeper. I'm enjoying the season so far, btw, remind me what season predictions I made haven't come to pass yet, my only prediction was we wouldn't win the league, based mainly on how good Man City are, that's still the most likely outcome at this stage although I'd be absolutely delighted if proven wrong. We are in a great position, but, the hardest part is yet to come, I've learnt from experience not to take anything for granted when it comes to football, just because I don't look at everything through rose-tinted glasses doesn't necessarily mean it's negative, I try to take a more balanced view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Probably going to head over for the last game of the season, I know there's no chance of a ticket but do you reckon they'd put on a big screen or something if the title race is still on? Or should I just find a comfortable stool early and settle in?

Big screen is unlikely but there's loads of great places to watch it these days, especially up around the ground with the likes of Taggys, hotel Anfield and the well established ones like the Sandon and what not.

Might head over myself and do the same but I've already got the weekend in Paris booked in case we get to the CL final, could be an expensive week if I do both 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I am not going to say Karius was the answer for our problems. But I think you are being very harsh with your assessment of him. In the home leg the 2 goals he gave away as mentioned was a penalty and the other Lovren let the ball drop over his head which allowed Dzeko in on goal. Not Karius fault.

The second leg their first goal the ball deflected off Miner from an attempted clearance in the box. Again not his fault. The second goal he could have done better as he parried the initial shot into the path of Dzeko. The 3rd goal was a good shot from outside the box that hit the post and went in, not saveable. The 4th goal was another penalty. So out of the 6 we conceded you can look to him for one of them to do better.

We know what happened in the final, he got hit in the head before it all went wrong. So he may not have been the answer to our long term plans for a keeper, but he was not a liability that we had to get rid of before that match. I wonder if we had won the match if we would have gone with a world record fee to sign Alisson? It doesn't really matter, we didn't win and we did sign Alisson so it worked out for us long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I see Bruno was in a car crash this morning, may be a doubt for the match tomorrow. Which may be a bad thing, as he's been utterly toxic for them for a few weeks now.

I think you're being very generous to him tbh, his performance in the second leg was poor, he was jittery all throughout and this fed into the defense and the whole team as the match progressed, I don't really blame him as he was out of his depth at Liverpool and just wasn't up to it, it'll be interesting to see can he resurrect his career and where he'll end up, I genuinely wish him well.

I agree that his performances towards the end of that season finally made the decision to sign a top quality goalkeeper a priority and in the long term it has worked out well, I think the club finally realized they couldn't seriously expect to challenge for major honours without a top notch keeper.

I think all the contract talk is actually effecting Salah more than him being tired.

Looks like Fulham have signed Carvalho's replacemnemt for €7.5m Manor Solomon from Shakhtar

We get a lot of rose tinted glasses looking back at Mignolet IMO. I mean his last few years it was like having smoke in goal, for a fella classed as a great shot stopper, pretty much every shot on target ended up as a goal and that was backed up by stats at the time. Shot stopping is the bare minimum you expect from any keeper and he was always rooted to his line too which prevented us playing how we wanted. Karius was a step up from that and began to allow us to play higher up the pitch too, but neither we're good enough as Ali proved once he came in. I'm just so grateful we finally sorted what was a problem position for us for years with a bonafide world class fella.

I'd agree with the point made about Karius since then though, he looks like a body builder these days and sitting around claiming his paycheck without trying to save his career is not a good look.

You said we'd be fighting with Utd for 3rd with City and Chelsea battling it out for the league.

How could you possibly know that?

What we do know is that Salah at the moment is playing very similarly to the Salah of previous seasons when he had very little rest. He started this season fresh, and it showed in his performances. He has played so many minutes in 2022. The evidence suggests his minutes need to be managed.

I predicted the same myself, it wasn't a crazy idea earlier in the season

• Advertisement

What a shock!

Only two teams in the premier league had the proven pedigree of being able to post 90+ point seasons in the recent past and it was us and City. A lot of people got a bit carried away with Chelsea's CL win last season, couple that with many believing our own issues last season pointed to us returning to being also rans rather than what it actually was, a blip, and the endless pessimism regarding our so called squad holes.

Chelsea then had a blistering start in the league that enhanced feeling they could challenge but the underlying data at the time showed they wouldn't sustain it and so it proved. To be fair though when you see the pundits predictions before the season began a lot of them had us struggling for 4th so yous weren't alone.

As u said Chelsea started well amd have a massive squad, they loomed so good defensively, Getting there two wimg backs injured when they did was a hige problem for them

Plus Lakaku turned out awful

To be fair only one place off in aperdiction isn't that bad

You have some memory!, I just vaguely remember saying that now that you reminded me, fair play I hold my hands up and say I got that wrong and delighted to be so wrong too.

On another note I do remember when all the doom and gloom around here was at its highest back in February last year, I was one of the few posters who still believed we could get top 4, while a lot were writing the season off completely.

Ah stop now , I remember you looking for a serious review of training methods and the medical expertise within the club around that time. You are always knee jerk in your posts far from the balanced view you claim to have, actually reminds me of another 2 posters on here that spam nonsense on here consistently. TBF your not in their league, thankfully I can't see their posts anymore 😁

We are going to have a lot of posters licking themselves at the end of the season me thinks. Didn’t expect it to start before the outcome is assured though.

I admit I did go on about the training methods around January time, with all the injuries we were having, but, as things got worse on the pitch and we were losing those 6 homes games I still believed we could finish top 4. We're all entitled to some dodgy posts after poor results, but, I don't believe everything we post here about Liverpool should be positive either, some go over the top with praise. We are all entitled to our views and opinions, I'm sure if I checked your posts I'd probably find some things you got wrong, but, you believed at the time. When I get things wrong I'll admit it, like all of us here when I do post here it is with the best intentions for the club even if they do turn out wrong down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Villareal will be so tough, goals against them so far this season are few, no one hits them for 6, or 5, or 4, , Barca put 3 past them last Nov, but since then it's 1 or 2 max, with first leg at home they'll come to defend, ideally we'd win it in first leg, but it will take the crowd more than the players to achieve this. Needs to be the loudest crowd ever, to intimidate them into mistakes, the energy needs to be there in the players, the crowd, the manager. Real over two legs was at least an open tie, we'd be allowed to play more of our football.

Villarreal play tomorrow and then don't play again till the semi final

Where as Liverpool have to play historically there two biggest rivals between now and the first leg of the semi final.

Listening to a couple of pods they are also saying Villarreal will also more than likely rest there entire team for there game against Alaves inbetween the semi final games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Karius played pretty well until about March that year, both when rotated in for Migs and then when he was made first choice. He made a few saves in a run of good results that Migs would not have got near. But then his concentration just seemed to disappear entirely starting with the Roma game in the CL where he kept losing the flight of longshots and he never really recovered, culminating in the CL shitshow.

I maintain that he's potentially better than Migs on the basis that he'd be good keeper if he stopped making such blatant, ridiculous mistakes, whereas Migs with no obvious mistakes would still be an average keeper at best.

But he's had 1 season of first team football since the CL final, so presumably he's not any more focused than he was back then. Maybe he'll do a David James and be better in his 30s than his 20s, but it's hard to know.

It's all moot anyway as we now have 2, arguably 3, keepers that are better than both.

Btw, speaking of former keepers, Reina's still going at 39 and has played over 850 senior club games. Reckon we should've tried to bring him back at some stage.

Advertisement