Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BBC were interviewing people in France in camps. They noted it was mostly men in the camps.

These lads were just saying they want a better life. They were admitting they were economic migrants.

Anyone who actually supports these people is supporting illegal immigration and supports open borders with no limits.

Immigration laws exist for a reason. Any illegal is taking the place of someone who is legally migrating to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anyone who actually supports these people is supporting illegal immigration and supports open borders with no limits. 

How do you make that out?

Any illegal is taking the place of someone who is legally migrating to another country.

And again, how do you make that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Not sure my occupation is relevant since I am not looking to gain illegal entry to the UK but since you ask, yes I am a software engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The 2 men savagely murdered in sligo are been buried today and nothing on the rte website about it, Ashling Murphy's funeral was televised by rte.

I literally just watched the RTE news report this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Good to hear, i literally was just on their website, at work so no access to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

we know why its low on their agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

Just remember that there are no No-Go Zones in Sweden. That's a far-right conspiracy theory. Much like calling the Country Swedenstan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

And ignore the campaign to leave the EEC - A Brexiteer on the real left, my word. And the protectionism of British Borders and British Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

As I said you were attempting to rewrite history. Kinda funny how this thread tries continues to portray things in a certain way that are just not true

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Funnily enough, I spent the weekend in Copenhagen and went to Malmo yesterday for the day before flying out.

There was a big police presence in the city centre because of a football match between the local side and another big team from Stockholm. The train stopped at Rosengard on the way in and I didn't see anything to suggest there'd been riots there the night before. The city centre was packed with people soaking up the sun.

The only thing was that the train back was cancelled because of concerns from the police and we had to get a taxi.

Because it's common sense. Do you know why immigration laws exist?

Another blatant hypocritical viewpoint being made the past week aswell.

Anyone who says murders are due to Islamic beliefs or whatever are told that no one knows that yet and not to make any assumptions, that it's just an unhinged nutjob.

Yet no one has a problem with the murders being attributed to gay hate. All the vigils I have seen have been plastered in LGBT flags. I did hear the guards say they are looking at a possible hate crime aspect but the actual type of hate crime wasn't revealed.

The reason I asked is because there is no connection, the point made no sense, but if you say it’s common sense, fair enough. Immigration laws exist to regulate immigration.

People having different opinions, depending upon the circumstances, isn’t hypocrisy. People aren’t even required to view different circumstances the same way. Otherwise you could equally be accused of hypocrisy, and it becomes a pointless point scoring effort. You’re hardly just interested in point scoring, are you?

You don’t seem like the type, when you made the point earlier that it was mostly men were crossing the channel, and now it looks like you’re critical of anyone making assumptions about people based upon their religious affiliation. That doesn’t make any sense either, but I have no doubt you’ll handwave away that inconsistency as common sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭AllForIt

He didn't. Although this quote is often misattributed to Benn, including recently in the House of Commons itself by Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP (Hansard), the quote actually comes from the Scottish journalist and writer Neal Ascherson.

Writing for the Independent in January 1996, Ascherson describes his take on the al-Masari affair in an article entitled If we teach children morality, what will we say about the arms trade?.

The al-Masari affair overflows in all directions with moral relativism. My own view is that to expel a political asylum-seeker because his country threatens to cancel business contracts with Britain is absolutely wrong. And it is not only wrong but dangerous in the long term to us all. This is because of one of the Laws of Politics that I wrote long ago into my little black notebook: "The way a state treats its aliens is the way it would treat its own subjects if it dared".

Ascherson was subsequently paraphrased in the Guardian by Francis Wheen, who wrote in 1999:

We should always watch how politicians treat refugees, Neal Ascherson once wrote, because that's how they would treat the rest of us if they thought they could get away with it.

This seems to be where the more recent framing of the quote has come from.

As for what the al-Masari affair refers to; Mohammad al-Masari is a Saudi political dissident who fled Saudi Arabia in 1993, and sought asylum in the UK. He successfully fought against the British government's attempts to deport him in 1996. This is the context in which Ascherson presented the quote, although as the above excerpt shows, he had come up with it long beforehand.

That's as good as your "meme" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm frequently reminded why I was right to cease paying the licence fee three years ago

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pfft. You're regularly in here arguing anything pro-LGBTQ+ is just WOKE nonsense.

Don't even pretend you give a shite about them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In 2020 23.2% of the prison population in this country were non Irish.

the % of non Irish living here is about 12%.

Spent the afternoon yesterday helping out some folks with filling in forms to get them on the road to the their stamp 4 and on the path towards Irish citizenship.

A day well spent.

They've been hesitant due to the fear of the authorities but everyone they know has gotten letters saying they are getting their stamps so these folk changed their minds and started the application process.

As the word spreads I'm guessing there will be a large influx of additional applications.

Hopefully I get a chance to help out a few more with their forms.

Such an abundance of happiness in the house yesterday, these folks can't wait to get regularised.

I emailed a couple of the smaller churches/mosques that are dotted around to offer my assistance. With any luck I'll be kept busy helping more apply ☺️

Was half thinking of putting ads up in some of the Asian/African /Brazilian shops too, the more the merrier I say

• Registered Users Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If ya want proof of agendas in media just look at how quiet Richard Chambers was on the topic. Just reposts of some services and of a football team holding lgbt flag but nothing about the incident. Usually he is right in there.

Without context though, those statistics are as meaningless as “100% of convicted rapists are men”, or “1 in 4 homeless people are women”, that last one being a particularly good example of how statistics can be used to make statements that are purposely misleading. The over-representation of certain groups in certain contexts often forms the basis for misleading statements, and the over-representation of minority groups among incarcerated populations is no different -

To conclude, both institutionalised racism (targeted policing and the media), and structural factors (inequality, liberal welfare states, neoliberalism and retributivist approach to crime) explain the overrepresentation of certain groups in some criminal justice systems (multi-causal). Risk factors, however, vary according to the different criminal justice systems in different countries. The actual definition of a crime also depends on the country and time (e.g. criminalising adultery). It is an error to consider the human being as naturally inclined to committing criminal offences – a racist or sexist approach because the is no scientific evidence that men, or black ethnic minorities are naturally criminals. This essay suggests that systematic overrepresentation of certain groups is more structural, a collective fate for ethnic minorities (holistic approach) in individualistic societies, rather than the agency (methodological individualism) or biology of these individuals. More policing is not needed, but provision of good public services, infrastructures and opportunities (inclusionary dynamics).

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseupr/2018/01/25/overrepresentation-in-criminal-justice-systems/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It should mean deportation immediately upon release like the US does.

Why do you feel you need updates on a criminal investigation from the gardai?

Incarcerate them first though -

Private entities engaged in the detention industry have profited from changes to immigration policy that propel the rate of incarceration. Entering the United States unlawfully used to be treated as a civil offense (i.e., a crime that was dealt with through our federal immigration system). Today, the Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutes immigration-related offenses more than any other federal crime—as of 2013, of all of the federal criminal cases filed by the DOJ, nearly 40 percent were immigration-related offenses, including unauthorized entry into the U.S. An unauthorized entrant will be processed first through the criminal justice system, where he or she will be convicted and serve a federal prison sentence, and then he or she will be turned over to ICE custody and can be held in immigration detention, serving a de facto second sentence.

The relationship between private prison companies and mass incarceration is symbiotic. Mass incarceration fuels the proliferation of for-profit prisons while for-profit prison corporations encourage policies that increase the number of people behind bars. For this cycle of rapid expansion to end, public policy must address both the push to incarcerate and the expansion of private prisons.

These lengthy, double sentences result in increased profits for the private corporations that run criminal jails and prisons, and civil detention centers. Thousands of immigrants are held in and shuffled through this complex network of prisons throughout the U.S.

https://www.afsc.org/resource/how-profit-prison-corporations-shape-immigrant-detention-and-deportation-policies

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

"Azrag says he didn’t choose Ireland, he just wanted to get to Europe and ended up here. He arrived into where he thinks was Rosslare harbour in December 2008"

Good ol Sorcha, would swallow a brick sideways if it made for another good new to the parish. Real investigative journalism here, I wonder how many direct ferries from Sudan to Rosslare...

So you would deport an Irish person who was born in the UK because they didn't pay a few fines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Advertisement