Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Scratch Cups 2022:When do the 'top' courses have theirs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cathalreilly89

Anyone know if any scratch cups on in Minster this weekend? 9th or 10th of April? None of the said cups are posted on Golf Ireland! Thanks would love Rosa penna but can't travel that distance

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fungie

Any word on the Ballybunion scratch cup? Nothing mentioned on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cathalreilly89

Nothing yet no. The intermediate is up for booking alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Lucan Golf Club Jnr and Snr Scratch cup on Sunday May 1sj. Timesheet opens Wednesday. 36 holes. Details on FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Just went to book Tralee scratch cup and brs says it was cancelled when you click into it. Anyone know anything about it?

Probably due to people in golf clubs generally aren't very good with computers and set it up wrong. I fully expect them to fix it at a random time and lots of people will miss out.

Yeah, it was fixed an hour later. Got a time anyway. Now hopefully get a time for ballybunion

I managed to get one of last spots. Still infuriating though, not opening at the advertised time. They should've reschedule the release for a few days later to be fair. I'd say a decent number of people checked at 9, seen the error and thought they will fix it after bank holiday or re-advertise.

It looks like it opened up at 9am UTC, which is 10am our time.

I think it was an admin mess up who had set it up on brs. **** happens. Can't wait for May myself. Have RCD and Tralee booked. Hopefully ballybunion too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Ballybunion junior open this morning.

Only players with a handicap index of 3.7 to 10.6 can enter this competition.

Stroke competition from Blue Tees.

Thanks @plummer77, nearly missed this.

Booked.. Had the alarm set and all.

Tralee on Saturday followed by Ballybunion on Sunday. A week before that I'm playing Royal County Down.

All because of this thread! Thanks lads. I'll probably shoot 100 and give up golf, but I'll be happy 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

Is Ballybunion The Old Course or The Cashen ? I remember ringing a few years ago and they said the Junior would be on the Cashen course, nice course but it wouldn't be worth the nearly 4 hour round trip for me .... Old Course would be a different story though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Can spectators just rock up and watch players in the likes of Ballybunion Sunday ?

• Advertisement

It's on the Old course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I'm not sure it would be much fun watching 8 and 9 handicappers hacking their way around Ballybunion. You would be on your own there

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dosulli8

Some spots coming free on the Tralee Scratch cup timesheet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Few spots available for the intermediate. Junior still fully booked.

Few spots left in dooks junior scratch cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone Golf Club Senior/Junior Scratch Cups on Sunday 22nd May, 18 Holes.

Host club of the Connacht Mid Amateur 2022

Senior :: + to 3.1

Junior :: 3.2 to 9.0

Phone 0906492073 to make a booking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

Killarney junior/intermediate on 28th May

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Quahog217

What's the bracket for Junior do you know? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Junior 2.5 to 10.4

Intermediate 10.5+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Hi,

Signed up for the Ballybunion Junior scratch cup. I was in the handicap range (3.7 to 10.6 IIRC) when I signed up but now I'm outside it. What happens? I presume I can still play (they have my 50 euro!) but not in the competition. Not that that makes any difference, I'd be lucky to break 100 off the blues :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

I doubt they will let you, fairly sure there are no dropdowns allowed. I would check with them before traveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I actually think those handicap ranges are far too wide by the way

3.7 to 10.6 index are two separate leagues of players completely. Would love a breakdown of winning handicap index per category

Should be 5 shots max being each category

<4.9

5.0 - 9.5

9.6 - 13.9

14.0 - 18.9

19.0+

Something like that - Obviously you're diluting things a bit but the gaps going by the above poster are rough

That's the problem with scratch cups. Invariably won by those close to the lower handicap limit. Can't see anyone off 10.6 winning in BB on Sunday. I suppose there are nett prizes.

Yeh exactly

I suppose for a lot of people, all they want is a cheaper way to play some nice courses and don’t mind their result

Looks like you have 4 days to get the handicap back down!

• Advertisement

If you're HI is outside the bracket you can't play. Just ring the club and you'll get the fee refunded. There is a waiting list of 10+ golfers to take your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm down for one in Malahide on Sunday. Handicap range is 8.4-19! But I'm just curious to play the course since it's on my doorstep.

If you make the ranges too small you'll hardly have anyone competing in each category. But it is fair to say that a 19 handicapper would have virtually no chance of winning it.

I suspect they'll have a net prize too. But if I could shave a shot from my handicap that would be the real win!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

Short notice, but Galway G.C. Junior Scratch Cup on this Sunday.

36 holes, shotgun start 9.30am and 2.30pm, open to index 3.2-8.5's.

€40 entry for visitor (includes lunch) and entries close tomorrow at 5pm.

79(+7) won the tralee junior scratch cup on saturday. Serious score considering the conditions.

One of the toughest rounds of golf I have ever played in my life. Back tees, blowing a gale and greens like glass. Absolutely destroyed me and many more but yet loved ever minute of it. What a course!!!!!!!

I thought it was much tougher in Ballybunion. Much more rough and higher winds. Felt longer too but could be wrong there.

77 1st, 78 2nd and 79 third in BallyB

77 was a serious score for the day.

Are the results published anywhere?

• Advertisement

I found Ballybunion really hard. The combination of distance and wind made it very difficult. I'm very short off the tee and struggled to make a lot of the fairways (The 11th #shudder). That said, it was a fantastic experience. It really is a glorious place and everyone I met was really friendly and welcoming. Fair dues to them for running it (and Tralee too) for such a cheap price. The same round that cost us €50 will be sold to am American on Monday for €275!

Hats off to those that played both Opens. You must be exhausted

Totally agree with this. These places could easily stop running these comps and fill up those days with green fees, long may it continue.

Same issue off some of the tees, 11th and 16th especially. Played with a member and he was telling me its very rare anyone plays off the blues. Nice to see it from a real golfers point of you. Wind definitely made it a few shots harder. My 86 turned out to be a counting score and got a little cut for it so happy out.

86 is some shooting on that course. Well done. It would have been about 20th? Safe to say my score won't ever count towards handicap :-).

The slope, 131 off the blues, is a complete joke. Should be at least 10 higher

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Golfer365

Some spaces still available for Junior and Senior Scratch Cups in Shannon Golf Club this Sunday June 26th. Both 36 hole competitions. 061-471551

Balbriggan Senior & Junior Scratch Cups Sunday 3rd July. Both 36 holes €55 incl. lunch. Shotgun starts. Few places still available. 01-8412229 ext. 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Anyone know when entry for Lumsden opens? Or when it is? Can't find any info on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Alanm

It's on 31st July. They sent out a mail a few days ago to say entries are open. If you PM me an email address I can fw on the details...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Just saw they released info on their website this afternoon, cheers though. Anyone know what tees it's normally off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Whites. It'll be a good test but you wont be off the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Any reason why it's only open to members of a club in Leinster?

• Advertisement
Advertisement