Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Harsh about Keane... he earned the opportunity to manage Kerry.... it didn’t go well... as I said before he could have been manager for the next 50 years and Kerry wouldn’t win an all Ireland... not because they wouldn’t be good enough.. they would just like they did over the last 3 years find a way to lose a match they had the winning of... and that would have continued...

fitzmaurice got 6 years most Kerry managers get 3... he can have no complaints... he would bore you to death the way he talks... he became a little loyal to fellas like killian young who of course is married to fitzmaurice s wife’s sister.... but I’m sure that had nothing to do with him persisting with playing killian when clearly fresh blood was required....

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

David Cliffords tribute to the late Red Óg Murphy was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think Fitz did ok during a period of transition but by the end we were in rag order in terms of set up.

On Peter Keane, he was just a poor manager and didn’t know how to win big games.

made some absolutely baffling squad selections and his picking of nearly the whole legion label to train with Kerry was a bit ridiculous.

what will always sum up Peter Keane for me is never having enough forward options and being scared to go win games.

whenever we got a point ahead we would just drop back, cower and try close it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Stefan Okunbor set to return this week - probably missed his chance for this season, but if he performs in training, could still be an option off the bench:

https://twitter.com/AdamMoynihan/status/1510893249120120832

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

All good news. You can't beat abit of competition and hes some athlete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Might make it easier for anyone without a Twitter account.

Incidentally, to embed a tweet like that, click the box with the < > symbol in it. Paste the link and click insert. That embeds the tweet for people to read here instead of having to click a link and go to Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

I read that he’ll be going playing a few county league games for Na Gaeil now he’s back. Hopefully he can remain injury free and get as much football as possible. I don’t think he’s an option for championship simply because he hasn’t been road tested at this level and we’ve cover in every position but next year definitely he’ll be given a real look. A defensive midfielder like what Jack Barry is playing at the moment is his most likely role for Kerry I think.

U20 hurlers only down by a point to Tipp at HT (1-7 to 0-9) - are they particularly promising this year, or was the wind favouring them in that half?

County Board President and former chairman Gerald McKenna has died:

Great day for the Kerry ladies - defeated red-hot favourites Armagh by 1-12 to 0-12, so D1 beckons in 2023!

• Advertisement

Looks like we'll have a full panel for the Cork game, assuming Sean O'Sé has recovered by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Mike Breen is pretty much out for the year isn't he? No word on O'Donoghue either.

I saw a few of the panel members including Moran, Okunbor, Paul Murphy, Dylan Casey, Jack O'Shea played at the weekend.

Sean O’Shea is recovered, he was on the bench for the league final. He was playing matches only a few weeks ago so he doesn’t really need the club match practice like Moran. Mike Breen is out for the year. Dan O’Donoghue is the only player that isn’t playing football at the moment who’ll be available for championship.

Looks like the Cork game is going to put back on in Páirc Uí Rinn.

I find it strange considering the revelation that the agreement between the two counties states that Munster Championship games between the two must take place in Páirc Uí Chaoimh or Fitzgerald Stadium.

However the threat of losing the revenue if Cork don't show up in Killarney and Sky Sports being added to the mix means that an agreement had to be reached.

Hopefully they won't go with a neutral venue which would be a pure disaster.

I feel sorry for the Ladies team, who having won Division 2, were expecting a game in Fitzgerald Stadium with a big crowd coming in for the double header.

They have seriously been let down if the venue changes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Cork manager steps aside for health reasons. Dunno if that will change the dynamic of the venue argument.

Realistically, any chance that the hurlers might have had in the Joe McDonagh has gone, after losing to Down at home today - matches against Antrim and Offaly to come, and now Shane Nolan has left the panel:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

How often are your kids training ?

Quick question to parents of kids playing football with Kerry clubs.

How often are your kids training ?

Our u-9s are training twice a week, a few years ago when it was even numbers, and pre COVID, the u-8s also trained twice a week.

I've voiced to management and the coaching officer that it's excessive for 7 and 8 year olds and you risk alienating them and their parents.

My own lad gave up at u10 because it was too much, he plays soccer now.

But the coaching officer and management claim "every other team are doing it".

So are they, are every other team training u9s that much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Forge83

Its a tough one to answer as it really depends on each individual child. How many other sports or activities are they doing? The biggest issue I see is that the best kids are doing several sports and activities so definitely do not need a second night of any one sport. But because of their talent they often are so are are burnt out by their teens. However a child that may only play football or have interest in football should definitely have a second training session. I think their needs be be better communication between team coaches and parents around this rather than lumping everybody into one team age group decision. A second night with the few players that don’t play another sport would most likely have larger benefits in the long term.

Recently my u13 nephew was asked to play u15 football with his club. I advised his mother against it as it would mean another night of training and another match per week on top of 2 other sports he plays. It would either lead to one of the other sports being dumped or him being out 7 nights a week training and playing sport. At 12 years of age both options are ridiculous and extremely backwards of the GAA to be asking a 12 year old to make that decision.

In short there needs to be a better emphasis put on the individual child’s needs over team needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea it's a balancing act.

My concern is that come minor and senior when you really need guys you will not have the players that you should have because you alienated so many in the years leading up to it by pushing them.

But are teams training u9s twice a week, or is it just us ?

Yeah my kids are training 2 nights and a match at the weekend, at a similar age, S&C starts at 12 as far as I can see 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

U7 and u9 both train one night a week, match week there is no training

Plenty for them at that age

Basketball on the off season makes a big difference when they come back, handling,ball control etc is much improved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

U20 Footballers begin their campaign tonight away to Clare. Live Stream on TG4 YouTube.

Looks to be a strong side again. Hopefully this is the year we can finally get over the line. If Declan can win the All Ireland at this level then he’ll undoubtedly be our next manager after Jack. A few players on this team with big Senior potential, looking forward to seeing how they get on tonight.

Trailing 0-6 to 0-4 at HT - granted, they were playing against the wind in the first half, but did control possession for the most part, and won't be too happy with the frees given away when trying to work their way in for shots.

Certainly a much improved performance all over the pitch in the second half, didn't give Clare a sniff of a chance, and moved the ball a lot quicker themselves - Cork up next in the final today week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nolan has had his reply to the managers comments. This being the pick of the bunch: "The last three days have been a nightmare really,” he said. "When I saw that story my family contacted me straight away, we were shocked and disappointed."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tis hard to beat ye lads ....

some really promising players in that kerry side especially dylan geaney and Cillian burke , dara o callaghan and that lad from stacks with the name i cant pronounce nor spell at Centre back are real talents

some of the wides will anger the management but miltown is like playing out in ventry or dingle with a strong Crossfield wind on a calm day , from a clare point of view we lacked a scoring forward , shane meehan was that man but he is now on the senior hurling panel , we have two or 3 lads that will be a feature for our senior footballers by the end of the summer so its a good form guide tonight

cork will be tough and a step up in class but i would fancy ye in the final

Fair play to Clare they really made a battle of it. I was talking to someone in Clare and they were saying that the team was missing a lot of its best players as the manager wouldn’t select them. Don’t know if it’s true or not, you’d often hear that kind of stuff about underage teams. What would be your view on it? There’s definitely a few prospects in this side alright even if we don’t have the usual abundance of talented forward options. Cillian Burke is a unique player and a huge prospect. He matches the outstanding physical attributes with the all the skills, I’m really looking forward to seeing his continued development. Dara O’Callaghan is doing very well as the only u18 to be involved with the panel. Joey Nagle, Armin Heinrich, Sean O’Brien, Thomas O’Donnell and Dylan Geaney are all very good players who we could hear more from in the future. I’d be hopeful of beating Cork considering the amount of unavailable players they have for various reasons. Looking at the All Ireland, Sligo won the Connacht championship tonight but realistically that’s the height of what they can achieve. There doesn’t appear to be any outstanding team in Leinster although one may yet emerge. There’s a good chance it comes down to a battle between Kerry and Tyrone, you could say the same for the Senior championship!

The game will go ahead in Páirc Uí Rinn now it seems. Kerry CB released a statement asking that the game be played in Páirc Uí Rinn.

Hope we go an hammer them now and the mess is all forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Everyone is agreeable to playing there, everyone except the Greed department of the Munster Council. They've created the mess, no else had a problem playing there.

I have very little doubt that Kerry will win well, but playing in a tighter pitch with a full house should make it a little harder and more competitive a game I think. That is surely what Kerry want?

A procession in Munster is not the ideal prep for a tough All Ireland Semi.

Advertisement