Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Couple of things with this (as I had heard it). Firstly that doesn’t say much for humanity as a species in general, that an area that had a radioactive disaster is doing ecologically better now then before the disaster because there’s less human interference.

secondly , there have been reports of Russian soldiers suffering from some sort of radioactive poisoning for digging around Chernobyl. Is this true or lies? Or is it that some areas of Chernobyl are ok and others are not?

Thirdly, the generational damage caused to families by Chernobyl is not to be sniffed at. The potential of killing millions across Europe was a reality back at the crisis. Many people died of cancer and have suffered health wise as a result.

Not specifically a reason to completely rule out nuclear power but you can’t ignore its risks because it’s cheap and doesn’t add to CO2 levels as much as oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Imagine hearing that on Prime Time or Claire Byrne live. How can any population think that is acceptable? Or are they completely stupid over there in Russia and so far gone down the hole blinded by a nationalist mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, and that's one of the reasons for the interest in hydrogen. Also, this event has highlighted the critical importance of fertilisers to maintaining the human overpopulation of the planet. Much of that fertiliser is made from natural gas, but if you use solar energy to manufacture hydrogen and convert that to ammonia, it becomes relatively easy to transport compared to hydrogen and is an ideal precursor for making ferilisor - just add nitrogen - ammonium nitrate. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to just make that in close proximity to your solar farms and cut out the transporting ammonia bit as well.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I find it fascinating that she's so open about her vision for Russia in the future.

Nazi propaganda was actually very similar though. Goebbels portrayed the western powers as deeply corrupt and decadent and the word "democracy" as a byword for corruption and moral decay i.e. people needed to live in an authoritarian state, where the state knew what was best for them and had their best interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I just have absolutely no faith in humanity and don’t trust our species with anything potentially dangerous no matter how many safeguards in place. 😞

And there will always be somebody or some country willing to corrupt a powerful thing for their own gain, so it’s preferable that thing cannot destroy things if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Before anyone sits down to plan the future relationship between Russia and any soverign/democratic state it would be very wise to Google the following - evaluation of Russia by Finnish intelligence colonel. . IMO I would not bother with the iron curtain. I would just decide to have NOTHING to do with RUSSIA in principal. I might allow a very very small embassy and very tight controls overANY Russian coming into my country. For the first few years and review the relationship after that. I would make it VERY VERY clear that I would have NO intention of EVER invading it. I would let them live in their own SWILL.

if the above is not substantially taken on board then RU will continue biting off bits here and there, continue its strategepy of placing Russians in areas that it wants to sow decent/ conflict, cyberattacks , etc

Whoever REPLACES PUTIN will carryon the same strategy UNLESS they can prove otherwise - and it might take them YEARS to prove so. Part of this proof might be financing the cost of putting back Ukraine to the way it was before the invasion, vacate Crimea, Donbas and lunask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Solar farms have no place on arable land. Stick them in the bogs (or deserts abroad) but wasting 5 acres per MW with a capacity factor of 11% in Ireland should be a criminal offence.

Right. That doesn't detract from the fact that modern nuclear reactors are (significantly) safer than older reactors. Something that is taken into account by nations addressing energy needs. In the future it's obvious that much or most of our energy will come from renewables, however for now we run on a mixture.

As Europe decouples from Russia as an energy source, it means that in the short-term we'll have to go to other sources of fossil fuels (no magic way around that), but in the medium and long term it should definitely help speed up greater transition to renewables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I love those old An-2's ("Anushka"). They look like someone stuck biplane wings on a bus. Super slow in fight and with leading edge slats that retract or extend depending on how much airflow there is to keep them in. The advice for engine failure is something like "keep the stick back and you'll hit the ground softly enough to survive". Possibly the most unabashedly agricultural aircraft ever.

I had one for FSX but could rarely fly it without blowing up the engine... 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

It's becoming almost more economically viable to just 'filter' it out of sea water - no dangerous, ugly mines necessary.

I don't believe this generational damage is a real thing or has remotely been proven. The radiation poisoning of the soldiers is real, but it's because they stupidly dug down to the layer where the radioactive contamination now is. After chernobyl, it was all lying on the surface, but the biome kept chugging away, trees dropped leaf litter and branches, insects and bacteria and fungi broke it all down to make soil - rain fell and washed the fine stuff down deeper into the soil with every shower, repeat and rinse for years and the thin layer of contamianation has been slowly sinking down through the soil, getting lower and lower, leaving the surface less and less contamianated. Have a look at photos of present day Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

looks like Kharkiv is the next city to be rid of invaders

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are the Russians invading with transit vans? I'm not sure what 5mm sheet metal is going to protect you against.

IMO solar has no place in Ireland at all, except on the rooftoops of people who are happy with the poor ROI and the very questionable ethics of how the panels are made.

These are purportedly Russian Z cars in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just reading of some of the horrors endured by Ukranian civilians and the savagery of the Russian military and I for one am fully prepared to march on the Russian Embassy and burn it to the ground. A horrible nation that has no place in our world.

Nuclear Fusion, which they are making great headway with. Might be another couple of decades though.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Worse still is that there are sympathisers driving around civilised Ireland with Z symbols proudly supporting this terrorism and murder. A small few semi-evolved goons on this very thread too. Non-human dirtbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

Contact CNN and ask them to correct their views then? Germany is the largest economy in Europe.

"Germany would plunge into a deep recession if its supply of Russian natural gas was suddenly shut off, the country's top forecasters warned on Wednesday.

The country would lose 220 billion euros ($238 billion) in economic output over the next two years in the event of such a shock, according to a report by five German economic institutes. German GDP would rise by just 1.9% in 2022, and contract by 2.2% in 2023. Growth would be 2.7% this year if the gas keeps flowing.

Cutting Russian gas would push Europe's largest economy into a "sharp recession," said Stefan Kooths, research director at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy and one of the report's authors.

But a ban on Russian gas in the near term would wreak havoc on Germany, which relied on Russia for about 46% of its natural gas in 2020, according to the International Energy Agency. It uses the fuel to heat homes, generate electricity and help power its factories.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/13/economy/german-economy-russian-gas/index.html

Germany was to shut down gas supplies from Russia there only going to harm their own economy. Will German citizens who are used to certain standard of living put up with the pain of factories shutting down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's there not a thread discussing nuclear power???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Burning it to the ground would give Russia easy, "See? Told you the West hates us!" propaganda fodder and it would be the loss of a perfectly good building that could be used to aid Ukrainians in some way, were the diplomats currently working there to be expelled. It is infuriating what the Russians are doing to ordinary Ukrainians throughout their country, but I think the latter would be a far better way to stick it to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

The footage is probably old, According to Ukraine and RU sources, there is only one area of resistance left in the entire city, the Azovtal plant. This looks like a battle in a residential area.

At least they now look like authentic Russian military Z vehicles 😀

Doesnt look like Azov is ready to surrender yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I don’t think there’s a simple answer to that. It depends on what the objectives are. If the Russian objective was genuinely to fully occupy Ukraine with a walk over and install a puppet government then they have definitely lost. If their objective is the total and utter destabilisation of Ukraine, the destruction of its towns, and enough intimidation to perhaps even convince the people to give up the separatist regions then it could be said they are on track to win.

I don’t think there’ll ever be a simple answer, unless Russia completely withdraws from all parts of Ukraine and declares themselves no longer interested, which is never going to happen.

Captured British soldiers in Ukraine being used in russian propaganda and for prisoner exchanges now

Russia lost when they tried to take Kyiv and were beaten back. Remember, in case anyone forgets, Russia liked to consider themselves a WORLD SUPER POWER. They can't even defeat a former soviet colony!

By every material metric Russia has lost. EVEN if they scraped some parts of Ukraine, in what world would that have been worth Russian humiliation, and the West moving away from buying the one thing that the West had value in - their fossil fuels.

It would take the best propaganda guru in history for the world to be convinced this wasn't a complete shıt show by Russia.

• Advertisement

According to Ukrainian police in Mariupol, there are more than a thousand civilians sheltering in the Azovtal plant, with many of them being women and children.

Edit:

"The occupiers are preparing to start a massive bombing of Azovstal today

According to the Ukrainian military, Russia plans to attack the company with FAB 1000 and FAB 3000 aircraft bombs."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement