Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

2025 is 3 years away.

Using Moffat after that is depending on the UK which is a direct contradiction of what the CRU, climate council and the EU are saying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

How many iron redux flow batteries can you buy and install for 650 million euros before 2027

This is the attitude of a child engorged themselves on Easter eggs

In 5 minutes they'll be vomiting them back out but for now they're entirely motivated by the chocolate

Everyone is making a difference. I want us to make a positive difference

They weren't supposed to be proof of global warming. The IPCC reports are full of those. The photos were showing the consequences of global warming that we've already seen. And it's going to get much much worse

The conspiracy isn't that climate change is fake, the conspiracy is that fossil fuel billionaires are covering it up and corrupting politicians to prevent action to stop it

• Advertisement

And everyone is spending billions of euros on storage which is going up exponentially

The amount of installed capacity that is currently wasted because of lack of storage... its almost as if the oil and gas industry were politically influential...

2025 is the year that we need to peak C02 emissions to avoid dangerous climate change. We've known this for decades. Should have started preparing earlier but never mind. The exam is looming, time to start cramming for it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Wake up and take a look at reality rather than dreaming magical thoughts.

We do not have natural gas reserves for years to come. We do not even have natural gas to fulfill our needs at present and are relying on a source that our own Energy Regulator states is unsecure and is not in compliance with E.U. directives.

2025 is less than 3 years away. By which time we will have little or nothing coming from Corrib and will be fully dependent on that unsecure source unless Ryan and the greens cut out the messing on Ballyroe and LNG.

There isn`t even a hint that we would have anything in place in less than 3 years where we would still not be dependent on this unsecure source, and everything to suggest that by then this unsecured source would be even more so with U.K. natural gas fields even closer to depletion.

Incorrect on all counts without Ballyroe and/or LNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hopefully they work as advertised, its too early to suggest they are the answer, unless you have a proven backup plan. Personally I think there may be an issue with the storage of massive amount of toxic chemicals in liquid form, especially as they a being pushed for wind farms which are either up high up making leaks into streams and rivers an issue, or at sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

China's coal output rose 15% in March from the same month a year ago, with daily production climbing to a record, as Beijing urged miners to crank up operations to ensure steady market supply.

Meanwhile, on our cold wet small island on the western fringe of Europe, the Irish government continues to punish the struggling over-taxed populace, during a time of runaway inflation and soaring costs, with twice yearly carbon tax increases for the foreseeable future. And in a few months time, a law spearheaded by the Green Party will criminalise our elderly family members and neighbours if they give away a bag of turf. Their crime: the sale or distribution of turf. Sounds like the narco trade. 

China churned out 395.79 million tonnes of coal last month, but you know ..... turf in Ireland.

Tell that to the 5 present major emitters and Germany which is set to join them. They are not too worried about 2025. All they are preparing are more coal burning plants while we are happy to wreck our economy and make beggars of our population for something worth nothing globally than a gold star from teacher Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I haven’t diverted anything. You made up some story which was a fabrication

As many people have pointed out we have multiple back up and a number of years to put in place alternatives. Both Kerry and Barryroe have no license and based on everything I have seen will never have a license

So maybe we could move onto real option instead of going around in circles on two options which have been exhaustively discussed but it doesn’t change the fact they are not an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Perhaps I didnt make myself clear following your last round of ignorant and abusive posts here, but why would anyone bother engaging with your comments on this thread?

But if you do want an answer to that particular piece of whataboutery- see my other previous reply on that subject

I'll leave you at it.

We have also committed to an E.U. directive on energy security but supporters of the Irish green party on here are running around attempting to ignore that.

What exactly will it achieve other than a pat on the back from Ryan for reducing our carbon emissions when the major emitters continue to show they could care even less if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No you're not, youve just replaced a diety with climate hogwash. IPCC reports replacing Bible/Koran but still the same authoritarian judgemental hokum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

As many people have pointed out we have multiple back up and a number of years to put in place alternatives. Both Kerry and Barryroe have no license and based on everything I have seen will never have a license

And as many people have in turn pointed out, those backups either are not secure or simply not viable at this point in time.

The EU have explicitly detailed that EU countries require a safe, secure and reliable for non renewable energy.

The primary reason that the Shannon LNG plan and the Barryroe gas field don't have a "license" is down to the machinations of various green objectors and or the stonewalling of both these by the green party.

I asked already but let’s try again as this seems to be descending into a bash the Green Party again.

Which parties support the Kerry LNG?

Which parties support Ballyroe?

An official statement from the party please. Not some random councillor who is trying to win a few votes

Not much different with some here sticking religiously to a dogma refusing to acknowledge and attempting to deflect when inconvenient facts are presented to them.

• Advertisement

Just because the reaction is valid does not mean the membrane will not fail after a couple of years, try and behave like an adult.

You're contradicting yourself openly here. 3 years is years to come

We have 3 years to build infrastructure. We should build the right infrastructure not pander to the fossil fuel industry

The reality is that corrib was always scheduled to run out in 2025. Moffat was always our backup until we transition from fossil fuels. If those were insufficient then we should invest in speeding up our transition to carbon neutral energy, not in building new fossil fuel infrastructure

ESS have tested their batteries and show no degradation over 20000 charge/discharge cycles

If we have to choose between 2 directives, I choose the one that doesn't sacrifice future generations for a little bit more security now

Believing in science is not the same as religion

If you don't believe the science, what is the foundation for your beliefs?

The technology is commercially untested. You can not just believe the manufacturers claims on batteries, history has shown us that, the vast majority of lab claims do not make it to a reliable commercial product. The majority of "new game changing batteries" fail or are never delivered.

Also as I said before, if they are ever installed in Ireland I imagine that the environmental will want to see some sort of catchment area in the event of leakage, there are 1000s of gallons of toxic chemicals in them, just one leaks into a salmon river there will be big issues.

Choosing untested solutions over proven solutions is very very risky. Just because the chemistry works does not mean the product will work, you cannot simulate the aging of the membrane effectively in a Lab. There are commercially proven flow batteries, which are a good choice for some applications, but as they have constantly running pumps (which cant fail) there is also a housekeeping issue too, the cost of regular inspection and maintenance would have to fit the application.

I agree we should never just hand out license or test new equipment without proper testing

The same should be done in regards Ballyroe when people in here posted about what harm it would do just to give a license to a company with no drilling experience or no drilling company aligned with them, what if Ballyroe actually has oil/gas and they pour the whole lot into the ocean

• Advertisement

I just looked into ESS for you.

The founder of the company and inventor of the technology, Craig E. Evans, has a track record of commercial failure (products and company - he's made a lot of money though).

He developed a game changing new fuel cell, which was going to change the world offering unparalleled clean power, and sold it though his company Clear Edge Power, the company received many millions in grant money, and he left shortly before the company went bust. A company then bought the rights to manufacture his design, that company went bust shortly after.

ESS has been raising money for years, about 50 million so far. They have high profile investors, just like Nikola have , its the same old model.

I do hope the technology works in a commercial environment but no one in their right mind should be counting on it.

Advertisement