Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think if you put it to Putin that invading Ukraine has destroyed relations with the West, he'll just shrug his soldiers and say, '...good...'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Unfortunately the only weapon Ukraine has capable of reaching those kinds of targets are the Tochka-U with a maximum range of about 185km. It's also not clear how many they might have left at this stage; it was thought they had around 500 missiles at the start of the war.

It is possible that the Neptune could have been modified for potential land attack capabilities; but the fact they have only just managed a launch against a naval target would suggest it's unlikely to be ready for that role (even if they had sufficient launchers and missiles).

They could try another air-based attack such as the helicopter sortie against Belgorod but as you pointed out a military airfield will have local anti-aircraft coverage making it something akin to a suicide mission.

So then you're left with some sort of SoF or paramilitary action; and given the fact Russia is such an authoritarian nightmare I presume such an action would be very difficult to pull off.

Or I suppose the West could provide some medium to long-range strike capability but I suspect that would be the least likely of all the possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭zv2

There are war crimes and mass murder of civilians in Ukraine but genocide has a very technical, legal definition. It is about the eradication of a nation or ethnic/religious group. Look it up on Wiki. I don't know if it is genocide but it is looking more like it every day.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

No, I accept some surrendered when they ran out of ammunition and food.

But, so what. There were only ever a few thousand of them there and despite the 'mighty' Russian army some are still holding out. Russia could only dream of such dedication.

In fact, the Russian troops still in Mariupol are allegedly still there, and not downing arms like some of their comrades, because of the rumour there's still a working washing machine still to be looted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This is disputed by the way. Ukrainian sources say there are areas of resistance throughout the city and it's just the usual Russian lies and propaganda that there are just a few fighters left at the Azovtal plant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Putin will get something before may 9 from his point of view he has to .With the numbers he has he will get Mariupol unless something really turns up for Ukraine .

Possibly, if he's an idiot. The West were supporting the bulk of his economy. Who knows, maybe he'll be delighted to be China's poodle. 'Who's a good Putin! You are, yes you are!'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think it's that Putin is so blinded by his hatred of the West and paranoia about same that he's willing to put his country through hell and wreak hell on others in order to extricate his country from Western dependence and influence, and refashion the world order as a grim authoritarian one. If that type of world can be achieved, why, I think he would even accept being number two to China in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ukraine said a little over 100 men had been captured in that event, Russia was claiming ~1,500.

In relation to mercenaries operating in Mariupol, what evidence do you have of this ?

Keeping in mind the two Britons who've been captured have been living in Ukraine for several years and appear to be part of their regular military, and not their for financial reasons.

So what other foreign fighters are operating in Mariupol, primarily there with the intention of making money (as opposed to moral reasons) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There are certain posters here who seriously need to take a long hard look at themselves.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fúck me. She's quite happy to be upfront about total governmental control over the press and media and be "like China". And y'know I wouldn't be so sure that a large percentage of the Russian population who are just a tad right wing, actually right wing, wouldn't be right behind her and that's why she feels so confident in her pronouncements. In my own dealings with Russians living here, when such things came up in conversation, xenophobia and racism of a sort last seen in the West in the 50's, being blatantly anti Gay and anti semitic were pretty much a given and the consensus was that the West was off its head on these matters(I know of one a few years ago who along with a couple of other parents from that neck of the woods actually went to their kids school to complain about the "pro Gay agenda"). Their uptake of conspiracy theories around such subjects was also through the roof. They weren't anti Americans funny enough, at least back then and in the groups I had dealings with. They weren't anti Ukrainian either, but again this was way before Maidan and Ukrainains kicking out Russia's puppet. Which shows how quickly such feelings can be revved up.

And yes a +1 from me on nuclear power. Major initial expense, but longterm cheap and "green" and reliable power. It would also be less politically and economically vulnerable and would help soften the cough of oil producing despots like Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I'm pretty sure that the actual Russian claim is that over the course of the battle for Mariupol they have captured 1,464 Ukrainian troops; not that they were captured in a single day. And naturally if Russia is claiming a number I think it's safe enough to at least halve it.

Also talk of mercenaries is pure rubbish. It doesn't suit Russia to admit people from all around the world are actually volunteering to fight Russia without any form of compensation; so they claim they're all mercenaries. And of course the ultimate irony here is that Russia actually is employing hundreds of actual bona fide mercenaries.

I suspect the number of foreign fighters in Mariupol is very small; since the area was cut off and then encircled very early on in the conflict. It would mostly be foreigners who had joined the Ukrainian forces sometime after 2014 but before the invasion. The three I know of are two British guys who moved there some years ago and one American citizen who reportedly was in Mariupol searching for his child.

Must be easy enough to run a news agency when all you have to do is report whatever the government tells you to. You don't even need to hire actual journalists; just send out a few morons with cameras to wave around and point at burning stuff and make up stories about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 35,964 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Turkey hates Russia, I'd love to see Turkey go after them. They can't blame the West for that if it were to happen.

U.S. to start training Ukrainians on the new howitzers "within days":

I have to say as the days and weeks roll by I become increasingly frustrated at the West's attitude to this whole thing. Why haven't they already been training on the damn howitzers? It seems to take them an eternity to make decisions; and then when they make the damn decisions they're just not ready to action them with any kind of speed.

Cue the people who will claim "I bet they've already been training them since day 1"; and yet all of the evidence points to that not being the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

War is won by gaining new territory.. (the Russian army is so far taken new territory) annexed it.

This is a war taking place on multiple fronts, with heavy fighting taking place in cities and big towns, and a big obstacle for the fight to not be over quickly is the Ukrainian army is not a small army. There were allegedly 300,000 soldiers- which means they had a 2-1 advantage over the Russians and probably a higher number today since men not part of the army joined up after the invasion and the foreign mercenaries came to the country to help Ukraine. Plus now Nato providing the logistics to keep Ukraine stay in the fight. Did the Iraq army and Afghanistan army receive this kind of support from world powers? No, they did not. This is substantial support to fight Russia and can now be viewed as an American proxy war ( the Ukraine military used as the boots on the ground to stop the Russian advances cold) Ukraine receives real-time intelligence and assessments from Nato about Russian movements and their concentrations of forces inside Ukraine so its lot harder for the Russians to take Ukraine army by surprise on the battlefield.

The reality is this. Ukraine was adding on Twitter they had launched a counter-offensive to retake Kherson weeks ago, but nothing had actually shifted on the actual front line. While Russia on the other hand about to take another city in the south of the country- Mariupol ( a city that Russia actually wanted to take) at the beginning of the war.

Hold three important cities previously occupied by Ukraine forces hows is that examined as a failure? Only in the west would it be after only a month of fighting.

The offensive in the Donbas if successful achieves most of the aim here to demilitarise the Ukrainian military in the east and south. Ukraine's army would then be forced back North to Kyiv in hurry ( if they can get out that is). The defeat in the Donbas means Odessa will be an easier target for the Russian military to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

They still control parts of the city not just one plant latest map i seen red russian controlled rest still ukraine areas still big enough areas

Maps from this guy he updates daily

https://youtu.be/8Yns4kIrbtI

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hold three important cities previously occupied by Ukraine forces hows is that examined as a failure? Only in the west would it be after only a month of fighting.

Ukraine never "occupied" Ukrainian cities. That would suggest that they had invaded themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Again you mention mercenaries without any proof. Do you have any proof or are you merely trolling ?

Keep in mind someone fighting primarily for idealogical reasons and not money is not a mercenary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

If they have the coast could they get in a few fast boats with supplies/reinforcements?

More than one meaning for occupied. dictonary: "being used by someone; with someone in it ( the Ukraine forces clearly are there using the city for defensive purposes). In your context, you say military occupation.

Maybe am wrong in how I used the word, not a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

If they had spent more time fighting and less time looting white goods and raping toddlers they may have made advances worth talking about. Instead they took a tiny part of Ukraine which was already in conflict and only succeeded in mariupol by leveling it. So they effectively 95% took a wasteland. If that's winning how do you spin the complete failure that was the Kyiv offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That would be video that's 2,980 bodies short of your 'few' thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭corkie

Military assistance to Ukraine 2014- 2021 ~~ PDF

^^^ Hopefully Not to be used by twosiders as proof of poking the bear.

U.S military 'crash course' for Ukrainian troops as Biden sends more lethal weapons to Ukraine

Cue the people who will claim "I bet they've already been training them since day 1"; and yet all of the evidence points to that not being the case.

How could they train them on something they haven't been given yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

As expected, bizarre views.

Russia had more territory 6 weeks ago than it has now. They are losing equipment at the rate of 3 to 1. They've lost more men than the US lost in Iraq and Afghanistan, combined, in 20 years. What was supposed to be a quick "operation" has turned into a quagmire. They still have a large potent army but they are struggling to match their week 1 gains, they have been struggling to take one key city for 6 weeks now. A country with a much smaller (on paper) military is holding them almost to a stalemate.

Maybe they suddenly start clawing more than a few kilometres a day and they take a much larger swathe of East Ukraine, then what? How does a sanctioned country with an economy smaller than Texas and such a demoralised army hold so much hostile territory?

Going to be interesting mental gymnastics performed over this by the Kremlin and their supporters that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There was quite a questionable video of spotless clean guys with no badges or tape pretending to be surrendering Ukrainian marines in Mariupol. Is that the e one you are talking about? After 50 days fighting with little water and food, it was great to see that they looked well fed and had saved enough water for hot baths for everyone.

Five attack fronts. With the bulk of the Russian army attacking the east and the south of the country.

Have a solid point if Putin send the majority of his army at Kyiv but he did not. This was never the main target for the operation.

Keep ignoring Putin’s war aims. Demilitarise the Donbas and denazify the Ukrainian military.

Why do you think it is the Russian tv channels keep saying daily declare war on Ukraine? Know this is a not real total war against Ukraine. There surrounded cities, but there not bombed and destroyed by the Russians. Look at every war for the last century, cities are bombed until all is left is rumble. Russia actually being civilized with the attacks.What stopping them from leveling Kharkiv and Odessa or any small city?

Expectation you had Putin would occupy Kyiv with 40,000 soldiers?. Kyiv has 3 million people. I dont know what the goal was but certainly wasn’t to take the city. I think ( viewpoint) it was probably to lock down the bigger force holding the north so it could not help turn and help the smaller force to the east and south. Maybe the 40,000 forces performed poorly or could be they were given orders to be mindful of civilians and buildings which hindered their progress. Russia got vast amounts of artillery not much of it was used.

• Advertisement

Dude, you need to watch more Russian state TV... they are going apeshıt over how bad things are going.

Do an ET and phone home. You're waaaaay off message

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement