Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Firepower can be a lot more impressive than it is effective, a lesson that was learned the hard way at places like Waterloo, Gettysburg, Verdun, the Somme, Stalingrad, Tarawa, Cassino, Iwo Jima and Kustrin, among others. Hopefully the same will hold true here.

(I wonder if the Ukrainians will make use of the WW2 German eastern front tactic of vacating the forward positions before the bombardment and then reoccupying them afterwards in time to meet the attack or just waiting to meet it in the second line.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Without Britain and America giving vast quantities of serious weaponry, the Ukraine would be half gone now.

Too many in Europe are trying to stay friends and business partners with Putin and Russia and he will pull the plug when it suits him.

Democracy is worth fighting for in Europe or it is not.

Talking about solidarity isn't Killing Russian soldiers in Ukraine tonight but it is helping kill Ukrainian ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Looks like Donbas offensive has well and truly begun. Expecting the Russians to make some gains.

If they can't make gains in the open plains of the South East, then they are facing immediate defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is a whole different campaign started tonight really.

I hope like everyone they can slow the advance but I struggle to see it.

The game playing appears to be over.

The Ukrainians are being bombarded all along the eastern front.

This could actually be over quick fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd assume those type of tactics will be used. I expect the Ukrainians to allow the Russians to advance along the roads a distance and then start to pick them off again once their logistics lines are stretched.

Apparently it has been raining a bit in that region so the fields are nice and muddy which the Russian armour can't handle.

I don't expect the Russians to alter their tactics too much and the artificial deadline of the 9th of May might force them to take risks and make bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I thought the same day 1 of the war but wasn't to be. I expect the Ukrainians to give the Russians as good as they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

It's a fascinating plane alright.

2 interesting facts about the crate which may be true:

the preflight checks take around 45 minutes,

when carrying a consignment of skydivers it takes 1 hour to reach 10,000 feet.

Fůck right off with the game playing remark. Thousands of Ukrainans have already been killed. Was the killing and raping a joke? Russia went all out with its best. It may have learned from that, but it was NEVER a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can Ukraine attack from the outskirts of Donbass so the Russians are fighting two fronts as in the ones who fought in KYIV?

Surely they won’t be left on their own encircled?

• Advertisement

The Russians thought they'd go in and take the country within days. When that didn't happen their campaign descended in to chaos. That's what I mean about game playing.

They seem to have gotten a grip now. Russia is a serious military force despite how it's gone up until now.

I never agreed with this portrayal of them as being hopelessly incompetent despite their strategic mistakes up until now.

You would have to suspect Russia given its size would be a serious threat but they have done a lot to give other impressions.

They could still take alot east of the river, it may cost them 6 figures but the last century of Russian history has shown that there is no value on their own people.

The time to break them is now. They will cop on, they will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm hoping this takes a tiny bit of pressure off Mariupol. One or two pundits on social media are saying they have raised eyebrows at the fact that Russia has gone for a full scale offensive in the Donbass tonight with Mariupol far from taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Weapons, weapons, weapons!

I hope to God that enough of the promised "better" weaponry has got through to the east of the country. It's the one thing that will make the difference as Ukraine has the numbers to take the fight to Russia, but without the hardware to back them up then.....

Either way there's going to be a lot of deaths tonight, but even if the Ukranian defenders are shelled into oblivion there will still be hundreds, it not thousands of pockets of resistance everywhere. They know their land and all are willing to die for their country, so a hell of a lot more Russians are going to breathe their last breath over the next few days/weeks.

What a needless war though. So many lives lost. So many more to follow. And all because of one mans evil desire.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You can comment about her behaviour. You can comment about her policies. You can comment about her actions. However some of the comments about Clare Daly have completely crossed the line. That stops now if you wish to continue contributing to these discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

The problem here what the Ukrainian military and zelenskyy have is this is more then likely the area that Russia might end up with if they loose land after this is all over. So do they pour the majority of their military in their to stop Russia in their tracks as if Russia takes the donbass region more then likely Ukraine will loose this area more then likely forever when peace talks do happen or do Ukraine gamble and pour the majority of their military into there and try and stop the Russian tide and try and kick them fully out of the region. If they can do that I cannot see Russia been able to continue properly in this conflict. I say putin might claim a victory and stop his advances afterwards and say he will pull out of other parts of Ukraine once Ukraine cede the donbass region or if not he will rain more death and destruction and continue the war. Ukraine right here if they can win this battle and soundly defeat the Russians probably have won the war otherwise this is where Russia gains big if they can win in the donbass region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I only hope Russia doesn't make gains here. US and the UK have been doing great stuff with providing weapons. Germany and France have been a disgrace. Just wait for it both of these countries will want to trade with Russia again when this brutal war ends. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Russia's 4000k plus aircraft will be busy for the next month, I expect Ukraine will find it hard to come out of this with much of a victory

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Also if the Ukrainians cede territory now that we have seen the looting tendancy of the common Russian soldier they need to ensure they booby trap the hell out of homes.

Something like a laptop on a desk attached to a claymore underneath it.

Use the Russians greed and lawlessness against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, how much of them are operational and not Styrofoam I wonder.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Always interesting to drop in on the internal content and propaganda Russians are subjected to with little alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One thing worth noting is that Ukraine have outsmarted Russia at every turn. They haven't just had a good war tactically, but a quite brilliant one. Fingers crossed they can keep this going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Two social media posts by the same Russian man, they were posted just over a month apart. In the first he is enthusiastic for the war, in the second five weeks later he is seeking answers about his missing son who was a Russian conscript on board the sunken Moskova

Translation-

First page: (12th March at 00:22)

State Department: "Sanctions won't ease until Putin changes course in Ukraine"

Putin, don't change course in Ukraine, stop groveling to these scoundrels. Only forward! #WeDontLeaveOurPeopleBehind

Second page: (Today at 17:04)

Guys, please spread this information. My son: Egor Dmitrievich Shkrebets, was called up for urgent military service from the city of Yalta on July 2, 2021. He was assigned to the city of Sevastopol and after completing his soldier's training he entered service on the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, the missile cruiser "Moskva". He was assigned the post of the ship's cook supply service. On the night of April 13 to April 14, a tragedy occurred, the truth about which we have yet to find out, the official report of the Ministry of Defense states that a fire broke out on the ship and the ammunition detonated. It was reported that the entire crew had been evacuated. This is a lie! A blatant and cynical lies! My son (a conscript, as I was informed by the direct commanders of the cruiser "Moskva",) is not among the dead and wounded and is included in the list of missing people. A conscript who was not supposed to take part in military operations is listed as missing. Guys, how did he then go missing on the high seas?!!! After my attempts to clarify the data on the incident, the cruiser commander and his deputy stopped communicating with me. I asked them directly, why they, the officers, are alive, but my son, a conscript soldier, is dead?

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

• Registered Users Posts: 35,965 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

The bombed-out bus behind her is exactly the same as the one on her top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

"Willing them on" and "hoping" sounds like one step up from "thoughts and prayers". Weapons,weapons, weapons is what they need, more, better,faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Agreed. My fear is that the western nations have reacted far too slow and meakly, and lost a golden opportunity to crush Putin and this Russian menace.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rogber

Yet another reminder of just what this war is doing to normal Ukrainians. Not a professional soldier, but a philharmonic pianist with wife and kids forced to take up arms to defend Mariupol. So sad As if Finghin Collins were to die in the battle for Dublin:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

I know your post constituted a lot of research/typing. But you forgot to mention Belaruse, mercenaries from Lybia, Syria,etc; the fierce Checnians,; The elite Wagan fighters, the Chinese ‘help’; the Russian Spies in the sky, and the information being fed back to the RU army from pro rushian speakers , living in Ukraine, but very pro Putin

CHEARFUL, please edit/correct my post if it a ‘bit off ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Another reason Russia should be left to its own devices - have nothing to do with it, how could ANYONE have any idea of cooperating/patterning with RUssia if this is an example of its thinking/take on things

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement