Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The contrast between the two halves of the draw are stark...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

Has Joe Mccarthy picked up an injury, wouldve thought he'd be getting the bench spot over Toner, some valuable experience to be picked up in these kind of games

• Registered Users Posts: 17,143 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Don't want to count chickens etc, but I think we've a very good chance of getting to the final of the Champions Cup if we can get past Leicester. That's a big if though. They're currently the best side in England and have the set piece oriented game to really frustrate us. Excellent maul and scrum. Facets of the game which frustrated Ireland against England. So hopefully we're prepared for that.

On our side of the draw, we could play Toulouse or Munster in the semi final, at the Aviva, if we qualify. I've not been impressed by Toulouse recently. They're incredibly dangerous when counter attacking, but their phase play is very disjointed. If they can't get beyond the gain line they resort to the low percentage offload or pass. They're not as good as last year.

Munster just aren't that good and despite the win against Exeter, we know we have the beating of them up front. Their victory over Exeter is a papering over the cracks job imo. They just aren't at the level required to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Is Harry Byrne injured? Between injury early in the seasons and lack of gametime, his form hasn't kicked on as hoped. I'd say of you asked this time last year, a lot of people would have expected him to have been challenging Ross at this stage. He's still young and has some Ireland camp experience. But he's not really lighting anything up yet.

I'm not sure that Harry Byrne is currently injured, but he has been injured recently and I think that ruined his chances of making the Champions Cup squad.

He picked up a hip injury in the new year, missed a few games, came back and performed well for a few matches before getting injured again. Won MoTM when playing at 12.

His last two seasons have been derailed by long absences. I know some scoff at the thought of him becoming an Ireland regular. But I absolutely believe he has the potential for it. But starting to get concerned that he may go the way of Carbery as far as unfulfilled potential goes. Same goes for Frawley. I think he's a great prospect, but has also had his injury woes in recent years.

• Advertisement

I think Ringrose has worked very hard on his passing over the last year. It went somewhat unheralded during the Six Nations, but he did a lot of good work in fixing defenders and shipping on to a teammate in space. Was ignored by the few agenda merchants in the Ireland threads of course.

This was a beauty of a pass. The best I've seen by an Ireland player since Keenan against Japan in the November Internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

It's not in the video. But the double pump by Sexton to put Ringrose through the gap was sensational. He's playing some of the best rugby of his career right now.

The style of rugby Leinster and Ireland are playing right now really suit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Ringrose has always been a technically excellent passer of the ball. It's whether he has the vision to use it enough of the time that's questionable.

What you won't see from him is involvements like Sexton's to put him through the hole, or Hume's to set McCloskey free for Baloucoune's second try last week - having the understanding and timing to delay the pass to open the hole in the defence or to draw the defender to himself to free someone into a gap that wouldn't have opened up otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Travelling squad announced, far from the strongest travelling party.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,193 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

10 front rows seems a lot for 2 games. Hope they get some decent gametime but some will have to lose out.

Not a very strong back line. I wouldn't be confident of any great performances but we'll see if they can get a win from the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,077 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's fairly disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DelMcG

Yeah, weirdly unbalanced travelling party, loads of front rows, not many second rows & only two scrum halves. I think if Leinster come home from South Africa with two losing bonus points, it would represent a decent return for that squad. It has the look of a "pre-season friendly" selection about it.

Is Joe McCarthy injured? Doing exams maybe? I would have thought he'd have been a shoe-in for this bracket of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

3 second rows suggest one or both of Ruddock and Soroka are covering there too.

Not ideal for South Africa.

Both sides are in good positions in the table but 2 points from this trip would be a good result for us given we're 10 points clear and bringing a very callow squad.

Would set up a good final fixture against Munster

Ulster and Glasgow both have tough fixtures of their own coming up and back to back tbp wins would be a big ask

It's good to see young SOB, Soroka and Harry Byrne back in Leinster squads. Hopefully the latter starts both games at 10.

Leinsters second fixture in SA is a week before the Champions Cup QF. I wonder will Porter and Kelleher only start the first fixture and fly back for two weeks prep with the rest if the Champions Cup side? Maybe Ala'alatoa and Frawley too?

It's a very young squad overall. We're far enough ahead of the pack that we could probably lose both games and still top the table. Will be a close call though.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Inexperienced and a lot from the academy! Bring it on! Delighted to see Milne back.

Deeny to get his 1st cap and perhaps get a pairing with Soroka. This squad may not do well, but the experience will be beneficial going forward.

Hopefully the pitch in Kings Park will be fit for play after the devastating floods and loss of life in Durban over the past week.

Last Saturday's Currie Cup match between the Sharks and the Bulls in Kings Park was cancelled due to the flooding and deaths.

James Ryan isn't in the touring squad. Given he's back in training and was warming up with the squad at the Aviva last Friday, I guess he's being wrapped up for the Leicester game?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's a very disappointing squad. I was hoping for one close to full strength team with them flying home afterwards. Really, really disappointing for the URC in general I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Great exposure for the younger players tp go on a mini tour in South Africa.

After what happened to Munster in South Africa no point in taking any unnecessary chances with a potential outbreak ripping through the squad a week before the champions cup game.

Wonder who stays at home to train Champions cup squad and who goes with the URC squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Can understand why we're leaving the front-liners at home. And it will be great exposure for the younger lads to play against giant South African packs in their backyard, so that when they come up against big teams in the Heineken Cup they'll be accustomed to the physicality.

But it's terrible for the URC for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Breaking it down by position:

LH: Andrew Porter, Edward Byrne, Peter Dooley, Michael Milne

HK: Rónan Kelleher, James Tracy, John McKee

TH: Michael Ala’alatoa, Vakhtang Abdaladze, Thomas Clarkson

SR: Josh Murphy, Jack Dunne, Brian Deeny

BS: Rhys Ruddock, Alexis Soroka

No. 8: Max Deegan

SH: Nick McCarthy, Cormac Foley

OH: Harry Byrne, David Hawkshaw

LW: Rory O’Loughlin, Robert Russell

IC: Ciarán Frawley

OC: Jamie Osborne

RW: Tommy O’Brien, Adam Byrne

FB: Maximilian Oliver O’Reilly, Chris Cosgrave

Obviously a few of the flankers can cover 8, Hawkshaw could play some 12, and O'Loughlin and/or O'Brien could be deployed in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Its terrible for Munster. Makes a stormers win inevitable and a Sharks win likely. Munster heading away for the QF and looking increasingly like finishing 6 or 7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We have possibly 6 knock out games out of 7 following these 2 games. Which means full strength or close to it from when we get back till the season ends. With a squad capped at 31. There wasn’t much room for first teamers going out to play the first game. To have a squad of 23 plus match day cover would only leave about 3-4 players able to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Porter, kelleher and alaatoa will fly home after first game.

Makes perfect sense. Top spot secure. Why come back wrecked for a trip to Leicester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Top spot is certainly not secure and think there’s a high chance we come second based on us likely getting no points from this tour and looking at Ulster’s three remaining fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Does top spot even matter? Coming second is just as valuable. TBH even a top 4 finish will be fine.

I would much rather get zero points from the trip to SA and have a full deck to choose from for the Leicester match.

And if we get knocked out by Leicester, we can go full strength against Munster on the last day and hopefully still secure top two in the URC.

Five leagues in a row would be nice but a European Cup would be infinitely better.

Lowe's scoring record this season, and really since he arrived, has been phenomenal. 45 trys in 62 games is very impressive. He should catch Nacewa before the end of the season and if he keeps up his current rate he might usurp Dave as well.

In terms of greatest ever signings Lowe must already be regarded as one of our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah, you're right, first place doesn't matter now that the final is hosted in a set location. Agreed that zero points from the South African tour is fine too, though it's disappointing from the wider league perspective. You'd almost want the organisers to front load the away fixtures in South Africa for the best teams to try and make the table feel more competitive coming into the final weeks of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think it's fair to think we will get 1 or 2 points from this with a TBP or an LBP.

Ulster have to go away to Edinburgh who have a lot to play for and will be up for it and proved very tricky at home this season - they are unbeaten at home and haven't conceded 4 tries at home yet.

Assuming we get no points and Ulster get 10 (very unlikely IMO) Ulster would need to rack up an average score of 79-0 in both of their matches owing to Leinsters points difference over them.

And I'd fancy us taking Munster in the Aviva anyway and Ulster have Sharks at home on the last day who will have a playoff place up for grabs. Will be a big ask

Advertisement