Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,073 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Here`s an idea for you that may be worth trying. Try reading and at least attempt to understand what has been said to you.

As I have said so many times to you already, what happens in Kerry is of no interest to me. My interest is in a state built LNG terminal that can be constructed using less than 0.4% of the 165 billion structural budget for 2020-2030. One that will give us, along with the ability to receive an allocation of E.U. bulk purchased LNG, would also, similar to Germany, mean we could source our own LNG. It would also see us fulfilling our E.U. commitment on a secure energy source.

Now just to make sure you finally understand, read that again, and stop wasting my time with your imaginary nonsense.

Do you think the E.U. disagrees with our own energy regulator on us being energy secure. If you do then you are kidding yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I am not sure why this makey up scenario's are about?

At the same time we could make up scenario's of when other plants can close down etc. I would expect the CRU has a risk rating for all sorts of issues that could hit the grid. As mentioned the sinking of a ship.

We are in 2022. We can either continue to focus on fossil fuels till we have electricity prices that nobody can pay.

Or we can start to put in place solution. The one thing everyone in the World knows is that fossil fuels are disappearing, faster than what most people want. Planning a future electricity system on fossil fuels is extremely short sighted when every other country in the World is doing the opposite

The state has no plans and never had any plans to build a LNG terminal.

No need for snide comments when you are making up nonsense about Ireland building a LNG terminal.

If you do not believe that the U.K. natural gas reserves are not becoming seriously depleted then you really need to do a bit of research.

We do not have a direct connection with Norway. Our connection is with the U.K. which is why we have no secure energy source of supply. If you believe that when the U.K. are running short they will just look on happily while natural gas flows through Moffat to Ireland I have a bridge for sale I`ll let you have cheap sight unseen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The Gulf stream can never be shut off, that is driven by Earth rotation and wind currents. The source for alarmist nonsense is computer modelling fiction generated by researchers from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Studies in Germany concerning the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC). The reason we tend not to outright freeze compared to equivalent latitudes in Canada is more a complex interaction between the surface ocean, the Gulf stream, massive upper atmospheric currents (i.e. Jet stream) and differences in pressure on either side of the Atlantic. Those high pressures in Winter that sit over Scandinavia for many weeks tend to cause the most grief. (Winters: 1928/29, 1946/47, 1962/63, 2009,2010) or the beast from the east in February/March 2018.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Those heros of Irish greens the Germans had no plans to build one either a few months ago. Now they are set to build two and are leasing four floating LNG terminals.

We are not in E.U. compliance as we are, so how do you feel the E.U. will look on the antics of the green idiots in government here attempting to ban the only E.U. transitional energy source option we have ?

I cannot see that getting their blessing somehow.

If the Gulf Stream could be turned off I think we would have a few more issues than Ireland getting colder

I would expect probably end of civilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

In the Committee hearing she was asked if the EU had been asking about our compliance with this directive and she said no

If we are still reliant on gas in 2050 then our species is absolutely doomed

• Advertisement

You know absolutely nothing about what your are talking about.

The gulf stream is a thermohaline circulation and it most certainly can be 'shut off'

It's entirely fuelled by sea ice formation. If sea ice is disrupted the Gulf stream is also disrupted

Nobody knows what the tipping point for the Gulf stream is, but there is one

What difference do you believe that makes, do you believe she is wrong and we do comply ?

No. I think the EU don't care and will give us the time we need to become compliant

And my opinion is based on the energy regulator saying this when she was asked about it

There isn't any reason to believe the UK are running out of gas. If you think there is, post the evidence here

LOL

Your original problem with an Irish LNG terminal was that you thought the regulator was referring to the LNG pipeline with a ship sinking until it was pointed out to you were incorrect and she was referring to a moppat line.

It suited your agenda then as to it being a possibility, but now when the shoe is on the other foot it`s "Chances of that happening"

You claim they are not, so I assume you have figures to back up your claim as to what their reserves are and how long those are predicted to last ?

To save you some time and effort, I`ll give you a hint.

The U.K. are net importers of natural gas. You may not have noticed but they have three LNG terminals. Two in Wales and one in England. Does that sound to you like a country that is not running out of natural gas ?

Post edited by charlie14 on

So you think that if we do as the green party wishes and ban LNG, the only possible E.U. approved secure transitional energy source we can avail off, the E.U. will just continue to turn a blind eye, especially with them bulk buying LNG.

That I`m afraid is again not a plan. It`s fingers crossed and hoping. That is not a basis for running a corner shop let alone a country.

I`ll take it as you not knowing what you are talking about.

I already told you that the U.K has three operational LNG terminals.

Now can you think of any reason why a country that you believe whose natural gas supply is not becoming depleted would need three such terminals ?

How many people at this stage have you accused of “not knowing what you are talking about” or “spoofer” or any of the other derogatory terms you use in nearly every post?

Yet you are the only person in the entire World talking about the Irish government building their own LNG terminal? Something which has never been an option and never will be.

Even if we talk about the Kerry LNG terminal by a private investor it has no political party backing.

So ranting about Eamonn Ryan and the Green is irrelevant as no other party wants to approve the building of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Sir,

Your News story “Gulf Stream probed for early warnings of system failure” (Nature 427, 769; 2004) discusses what the climate in the south of England would be like “without the Gulf Stream”. Sadly, this phrase has been seen far too often, usually in newspapers concerned with the unlikely possibility of a new ice age in Britain triggered by the loss of the Gulf Stream.

European readers should be reassured that the Gulf Stream’s existence is a consequence of the large-scale wind system over the North Atlantic Ocean, and of the nature of fluid motion on a rotating planet. The only way to produce an ocean circulation without a Gulf Stream is either to turn off the wind system, or to stop the Earth’s rotation, or both.

Real questions exist about conceivable changes in the ocean circulation and its climate consequences. However, such discussions are not helped by hyperbole and alarmism. The occurrence of a climate state without the Gulf Stream any time soon — within tens of millions of years — has a probability of little more than zero.

Carl Wunsch

Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences,

Massachusetts Institute of Technology,

FYI: There is only one commentator who regularly appears on Irish media who uses the phrase "thermohaline circulation". Guess who?

If you have never herd of the topic here is an introduction (approx 12 minutes)

Post edited by Pa ElGrande on

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We need gas up to 2050.

The plan is to get to 80% renewables by 2030 and use gas to help to get the remaining 20%

This will then reduce as we head to 100% renewables by 2050.

This has been stated many times.

We will not be reliant on gas in 2050. We'll be much less reliant on gas by 2030

The amount of gas We'll be importing from the UK will be decreasing every year The UK will not run out of gas and they will not shut off our gas supply

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im wondering would there be a need for the full 20% if we re interconnected?

Sorry but that’s incorrect.

The plan to 100% renewable has clearly stated we will be needing non renewables until 2050.

If the UK runs low on gas will they cut off their own people to allow gas to us?

The interconnectors, even with the Celtic interconnector (which is in planning) provides 1700MW of power.

This currently is not enough on a calm day.

Now by 2030 we hope there is a lot more renewable generation on the system (that all depends on planning and objections).

Add in the fact we are electrifying transport and heating and demand is only going one way.

The interconnectors wont keep the lights on and wont meet the shortfall.

We need a storage system to store the excess renewable power for when we need it.

The hope here being green hydrogen.

There is no grid scale operation in place anywhere in the world at the moment, but that’s not to say there won’t be or that it won’t work.

A typical domestic gas boiler lasts 10 to 15 years. 80% of new builds right now use heat pumps

Gas boilers will be banned for new builds from 2025

By 2035 Gas heating will be a niche, legacy technology and will be so expensive that nobody will be using it domestically anymore.

There will also be some biogas production to smooth out the transition if this is needed

The UK will sell its Gas to the highest bidder. You asked why they have LNG terminals, its because someone is making money out of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The irony of that post is truly staggering Broken. With you having repeatedly inferred that posters whom you disagree with, have 'reading and comprehension' issues, of "ranting", of having multiple accounts etc etc. But no matter. That is as read.

As for this

"Yet you are the only person in the entire World talking about the Irish government building their own LNG terminal? Something which has never been an option and never will be."

The point there is that once again you are completely and utterly wrong

A state owned LNG has indeed been mooted and quite recently

A state-owned non-commercial LNG terminal, the creation of significant gas storage capacity, and payments to the operators of the Corrib gas field to leave gas in the ground for any potential future emergencies are being considered as part of the state’s review of Ireland’s energy security.

I guess Charlie must be a lot more forward thinking than many!,

Even if we talk about the Kerry LNG terminal by a private investor it has no political party backing.

Did you miss the bit I posted where Leo Varadkar stated that the Shannon LNG terminal would not be blocked by the government in direct opposition to Mr Ryans rantings and ravings and his attempts to meddle and interfer with the planning process?

So ranting about Eamonn Ryan and the Green is irrelevant as no other party wants to approve the building of it.

Why are you so worried about others being critical of the green party and their deranged policies?

As you say you don't "support them".

And in a thread titled "Green" policies are destroying the country". You can bet your bottom dollar that posters are going to critical of their shenanigans to date.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Advertisement