Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

He was there with them. Here he is doing his finest duck face pose.

I thought the second series was a bit weaker than the first, and this suggests that the 3rd follows the same trend.

It was OK, Da & Granda were good with Seamus "refusing" to wear a bell. Kevin McAleer and Neeson's response to him stole the show. It was the only proper laugh out loud moment.

Not enough of Sister Michael. Her line about making the gang think they had failed just because it was a slow day was great.

Looking back to the stories I read last week about Nichola Coughlan being written out of a lot of the show due to clashes with Bridgerton, I'm now quite glad. She ruined every scene.

The biggest regret is that Uncle Colm referred to Diego's mother as "mad as a bag of cats" rather than the much more Derry like "mad as a box of frogs".

Bag of cats refers to anger, ie "crabbit as a bag of cats" rather than being a loon.

Post edited by DrPhilG on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The grandad is by far the best character

Actress from Galway most annoying

What a sanctimonious wagon.

Yes Jamie-Lee, he was asking your age because he's a misogynistic pig, not because you're a grown ass woman playing a teenager which makes your age a relevant point of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fame gone to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think he clearly touched a nerve with that question. It wasn't misogynistic but Tubridy handled it extremely poorly. He presented the question and said she might not like it and she gave a dismissal move on response but he still pressed her. She should've called him out for not being able to read his guests and for being a **** interviewer, unable to deviate from the cue cards.

In any case, there were so many more interesting ways to present that question and the responses would have been far more interesting than a blunt, what's your age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Meh, it’s his role to ask questions in such a way as to get interesting replies. He’s not meant to hammer them into admitting the truth like Jeremy Paxman.

Basically he’s not very good at his job.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Oh I'm not on the Tubridy defence, he's an odious wee turd and I've never been a fan.

He's definitely guilty of not reading the response since he went back for seconds.

But for her to jump on him for being a misogynist is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

I think thiis is a bit unfair on her, She never said he was misogynist she said it was a misogynist question and was going to explain her reasons why she though this, if Tudbridy hadn't jumped in it could have moved the interview in a different direction.

• Advertisement

Even to suggest that it was a misogynistic question was nonsense in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

There were ways to word the quesiton witout asking her age, "Your no longer a teenager was if difficult playing a teenager on screen"

The question was worded poorly and was treated by a group of people as aa misogynistic question, its too late to change that, if he had let her speak people could be saying that Jamie-Lee has made herself look stupid, but its has completly backfired on Tubridy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The question was entirely unnecessary. He would have known her age from his briefing notes. When she made it clear that she wasn’t putting up with his BS, he played the victim, saying that there was a compliment coming, making it all about him, not his guest. Patronising nonsense, and great to see her putting him in his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I just haven't been able to warm to this program at all.

It's real basic secondary school humour...without any of the creative wit or delivery of say the inbetweeners.

Reminds me of the Young Offenders...same innocent humour. I think people only found YO funny because it's Irish set in Cork...think Derry Girls is the same. People can relate to the sayings and stuff...just don't find it funny at all. Yet apparantly it's popular in the UK? No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭rightmove

She sounds like a right pain in the h$le. poor auld brian tubrity

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Season 3 Episode 1 was absolutely hilarious but also unbearable at times. Anything with the adults was great but the teenager's plot was really bad, way to over the top and having the actors constantly panicking and screeching every line of dialogue got annoying quick. Another episode tonight, hopefully the youngsters have a better plot this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd agree that the 1st episode was decent, but jez the screeching of Nicola Coughlans character was way ott and very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I need to rewatch season 1 but in episode 1 of season 3, I found Erin and Clare to be a bit insufferable with their weird facial expressions. Erin seems to have ramped it up to a 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Tommy Tiernan is a great actor.

2 episodes in and it would seem that the girls are charactures of themselves from Season 1 at this stage.

The adults haven been great in the two episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Now if you didn't like that episode, then your not a Derry Girls fan!

It was brilliant, Ma Mary stealing the show.

It did remind me of how much mothers were taken for granted in 80s & 90s, usually stayed at home in those days so we expected them to do everything.

Aunt Sarah to Mary about the plumers wife running off with the friend 'Imagine what the friend must look like'🤣

I've always thought the actress that plays Erin is over the top not Nicola Coughlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Personally I thought she was great , knocked tubridy sideways and he is still badly shook :), a decent interviewer wouldn’t have made such a mess especially on 500k a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That episode would have been great if you took out the teenagers, really hope the last few episodes pull it together.

Also the bedroom scene was a poor knock-off of the father Ted "just play the fcuking note" scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It was clearly supposed to be an homage, just came across as a poor parody.

As an aside, does father Ted exist in the derryverse? I'd love a throwaway scene with Gerry watching Father Kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I fell around laughing at Season 3 episode 2.

The bit about defrosting the chicken with a hairdryer cracked me up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sadly graham linehan has managed to as good as cancel fr ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

How old are they supposed to be at this stage, roughly?

Advertisement